• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Zelda coming to the nx this holiday does not in any way indicate that a home console comes first.

According to the rumor, the 3DS has more unannounced titles than anticipated for the 2nd half of 2016.

Wii U only has the one game.

Plum

I spend two days reading this thread and damn....there some amazing stuff in here.

I'm really super excited! Seems like something big is gonna happen very soon and makes me think yes, yes, YES!

It's always fun when a new console is coming out. Although the teasing and leaks are making the wait for whatever Nintendo chooses to announce it at so difficult.

That was one of the best PR 'nope' responses I've ever seen! He was basically like, "you ain't gettin' shit outta me', and he said it with so much confidence, LMAO

Yeah the way he said it, makes it seems he knows all the juicy details too as well.

On the Store re-opening, it does seems 'Where everyone comes to play' is Nintendo's ' 4 the Players'. I would imagine that this will be their marketing slogan for the upcoming console. Would be odd not to, or use something else.

I guess it kind of points to what to expect from the NX and Nintendo going forward.

Diffense

I always thought that if both Zelda "Wii U" and NX are coming out around the same time there MUST be an NX version of Zelda. It's just too confusing for them to launch a new console while releasing a marquee title exclusively for an obsolete machine. I believe the Wii U version is still coming though, to show a bit of appreciation for Wii U owners. If the NX doesn't have a second screen, the Wii U version might very well represent the way the game was meant to be played throughout most of its development.

The other question is "what exactly is launching in 2016"? Assuming there are different form factors as Iwata suggested, I suspect that the console is coming first. The Wii U's userbase is half that of the 3DS' and Wii U's software support is drying up at a much faster rate. In Japan they've somehow managed to have hardware shortages despite selling an embarassingly small number of Wii U's compared to Wiis. It's almost as if they've phoned it in. Unless Nintendo is willing to let their console business rot for another year, the Wii U's replacement has to be coming soon.

According to the rumor, the 3DS has more unannounced titles than anticipated for the 2nd half of 2016.

Wii U only has the one game.
So the rumor either suggest Emily is lying about Paper Mario or that Zelda U is cancelled.
or that the source isn't all that

TheMoon

So the rumor either suggest Emily is lying about Paper Mario or that Zelda U is cancelled.

The latter is obviously not the case. Also, Emily is not the sole source of Paper Mario so no need to pin it on her. Besides, why does it have to be lying? There's the other thing, called getting wrong/bad info. (edit: saw your edit after posting) "The one game" can easily be Paper Mario. Because Zelda U is a known quantity.

Neoxon

A metric shit-ton of rumors are coming out from this guy. This is mostly about the NX Console.
  • The NX Console will release first (at least in North America) in 2016, & a possible NX Handheld will likely be saved for next year (if it exists) for the rest of the world. The guy speculates that this is because Nintendo realized that the 3DS is getting more support than anticipated for this year (my guess, Pokémon Z).
  • Zelda U will be a cross-gen release & is a launch window title for the NX Platform.
  • There is only one more unannounced Wii U game for 2016 in addition to Zelda U (probably Paper Mario U), as well as some kind of Nintendo integration for Minecraft (I'm guessing as Minecraft U DLC).
I believe this is what you guys were referring to.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A metric shit-ton of rumors are coming out from this guy. This is mostly about the NX Console.
  • The NX Console will release first (at least in North America) in 2016, & a possible NX Handheld will likely be saved for next year (if it exists) for the rest of the world. Supposedly, this is because Nintendo realized that the 3DS is getting more support than anticipated for this year (my guess, Pokémon Z).
  • Zelda U will be a cross-gen release & is a launch window title for the NX Platform.
  • There is only one more unannounced Wii U game for 2016 (probably Paper Mario U), as well as some kind of Nintendo integration into Minecraft (I'm guessing as Minecraft U DLC).

We've already been talking about it, we're still talking about it. Also, you're mistaking "speculation" for "confirmation" about NX handheld happening (who doubts it's happening? Trev just said, in his opinion, Zelda NX at launch means it can be only a home console - which is wrong, IMHO, but that's his opinion. Also, the source thinks the home console comes out first due to what's coming to 3DS in the 2nd half, but it's no confirmation at all, just speculation).

Neoxon

We've already been talking about it, we're still talking about it. Also, you're mistaking "speculation" for "confirmation" about NX handheld happening (who doubts it's happening? Trev just said, in his opinion, Zelda NX at launch means it can be only a home console - which is wrong, IMHO, but that's his opinion. Also, the source thinks the home console comes out first due to what's coming to 3DS in the 2nd half, but it's no confirmation at all, just speculation).
Edited accordingly. Thanks

Mpl90

Also, if we take the rumour as truth, of course Paper Mario Wii U is the only "unannounced" Nintendo title left on Wii U.

...Also, this means that there's only one destination for Pikmin 4 (which, otherwise, would certainly be classified as a key Wii U upcoming release).

NFLO

Neo Member
I hope the games we've bought from the Wii Eshop will be able to transfer over to NX as well or are the original Wii games bought from the shop channel not tied to the NNID?. Cause I was planning on buying Sonic 1,2 and 3 as well as Majora's Mask but If I won't be able to download them on the NX then I should prolly just wait until these games get released on NX VC.

maxcriden

Unless I missed it, was Trev's PM info and website link posted here? And how about the IMDB stuff? Is there a summary or link to both of these?

Neoxon

I hope the games we've bought from the Wii Eshop will be able to transfer over to NX as well or are the original Wii games bought from the shop channel not tied to the NNID?. Cause I was planning on buying Sonic 1,2 and 3 as well as Majora's Mask but If I won't be able to download them on the NX then I should prolly just wait until these games get released on NX VC.
That would require the NX Console to either have PowerPC as its architecture or emulate the Wii U. The former happening is doubtful due to the likely handheld, & I'm not sure about the likelihood of the latter. Maybe the other VC games besides the ones from the Wii could carry over.

TheMoon

Unless I missed it, was Trev's PM info and website link posted here? And how about the IMDB stuff? Is there a summary or link to both of these?

ignore the imdb stuff. it's like someone posting a wikipedia page of F-Zero U and passing it off as news.

Mpl90

The site was posted earlier. I suppose he didn't post it directly because that would be auto-promotion, which is not that allowed on GAF. I think it's the same reason L-A posts all the news about Nintendo without links to his site.

By the way, since it seems there's enough agreement (especially from Trev himself) about asking to a mod to confirm it, I'm going to ask to bishoptl in the next few hours. Moreover: usually, sources are safe in this cases, no name is shared on the forum itself, just the "you're good, go on" confirmation message from bishoptl. Still, I'll warn him about your source's need to stay safe, Trev, don't worry.

So NX Launch Window

Zelda NX (Cross Gen)
Smash Port (This is basically confirmed by Bandai sources right?)
Other Bandai Games

What are the other rumored titles? Im assuming Square Enix will have quite a few

• The NX Console will release first (at least in North America) in 2016, & a possible NX Handheld will likely be saved for next year (if it exists) for the rest of the world. The guy speculates that this is because Nintendo realized that the 3DS is getting more support than anticipated for this year (my guess, Pokémon Z).
  • There is only one more unannounced Wii U game for 2016 in addition to Zelda U (probably Paper Mario U), as well as some kind of Nintendo integration for Minecraft (I'm guessing as Minecraft U DLC).

Jeebus the way this guy writes and talks

Its like hes barely containing himself over the excitement of having a source. Makes me hard to believe its real unless his source is like a best friend who is higher up at Nintendo

This has dubious written all over it and honestly taking a risk on saying Zelda NX being confirmed is kind of easy

Who didnt think Zelda was going to hit both systems at this point

This screams a fake report from Nintendo trying to find a leak in my opinion... but I guess E3 will confirm the truths if any.

ASIS

Google 'Trevelyan' and visit his website.
Thank you.

I feel like I'm 15 again waiting for some news on the revolution. For some odd reason I did not feel that way about Wii U. Don't get me wrong I was excited about the reveal and the crazy WUSTs but I don't know.. The NX is making me all giddy inside.

ASIS

Jeebus the way this guy writes and talks

Its like hes barely containing himself over the excitement of having a source. Makes me hard to believe its real unless his source is like a best friend who is higher up at Nintendo

This has dubious written all over it and honestly taking a risk on saying Zelda NX being confirmed is kind of easy

Who didnt think Zelda was going to hit both systems at this point
eh, the fact that the report is so down to earth makes me believe it somewhat. The info may seem like nothing but the Wii U info, at the very least, can be seen as a "confirmation" for what they have in store.

radcliff

Maybe the Minecraft project is the retail version with DLC included (whereas if you already have the digital version, you would have to pay for it).

eh, the fact that the report is so down to earth makes me believe it somewhat. The info may seem like nothing but the Wii U info, at the very least, can be seen as a "confirmation" for what they have in store.
Due to how much he said, Trev could easily get discredited if more than one first party Wii gets announced. He really believes his source.

Neoxon

Trev is the new MisterXmedia ?
giphy.gif

Thraktor

I must say, those ray-traced shadows are pretty sexy. Also, did I spot some form of percentage-closer shadowing?!

Yeah, the realistic soft shadows are nice, although they are going to take a bit more computational grunt than ray-traced hard shadows.

As far as ISPM, I really think they need to inject some proper PBR materials into those demos because all of the surfaces looked really bad, even with global illumination in effect.

Well, it's an academic presentation (from 2010 at that), so generally they'll use fairly simple texturing to highlight the effect of the method.

Minor thing regarding this. With how features are split between the main Wii U OS and IOSU, it's quite likely that Espresso doesn't turn on at all during standby mode, and that the whole thing is actually handled by Starbuck.

That's actually a good point, and would make sense given that Starbuck would consume a lot less while idling than Espresso.

That would require the NX Console to either have PowerPC as its architecture or emulate the Wii U. The former happening is doubtful due to the likely handheld, & I'm not sure about the likelihood of the latter. Maybe the other VC games besides the ones from the Wii could carry over.

Not necessarily, they could include Espresso as a separate chip just for BC (it's a pretty cheap piece of silicon). Of course, if they're not otherwise going with a MCM this time then the packaging costs of including it on the same module with the SoC could be prohibitive.

On the other hand, this quote from the OP might indicate they're just dropping BC altogether:

Kimishima on Dec 3rd said:
“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

Hey guys I have gotten a new message from my source at Nintendo, they are definitely aware of what has gone on since I took my rest. They are open to work with MOD's (who deal with private verification like this) to provide proof of not only their employment with Nintendo but also proof that all the information I have posted on YouTube and my website is the truth.

Someone please PM me on the first step on how to proceed with MOD verification.

Zelda being cross-gen is overall a good thing. A great thing even. Far more people will get to play what looks to be the most ambitious game in the series yet.

However, I think I sort of lament the opportunity gone by of a Game-Pad centric Zelda. Perhaps the NX will have a GamePad substitute and we will get that kind of game, but I have a suspicion the GamePad functionality in the Wii U version will be limited to a map and inventory management.

Which is a shame, in my opinion. When I first imagined a Zelda on Wii U, I thought it would be cool for the game to feature some point-and-click adventure type puzzles on the touchscreen. I'm thinking some Nancy Drew, Her-Interactive type stuff. For instance, a topdown view of blocks that have to be moved a certain way to open up a path, or pieces of something that have to be rotated and rearranged to fit a shape. It would definitely provide for a harder, sometimes slower, more puzzle-driven Zelda that may not be peoples' speed, but I always thought if they could balance it just right it would be amazing.

We have yet to see what the game has to offer, but that's just my little sadness - when you make a game cross-gen, you usually have to give up console-specific features which otherwise would have been cool. Even if you forget the whole point-and-click puzzle idea, no-brainer things like a Lens of Truth that shows hidden objects on the GamePad may not be able to exist on a Wii U/NX release. BUT, all things said and done (provided this rumor is true), I'm glad to hear we'll be getting both a variant of NX AND a Zelda game for it this fall. Nintendo should get a move on sharing those official details.

Pif

Banned
Hey guys I have gotten a new message from my source at Nintendo, they are definitely aware of what has gone on since I took my rest. They are open to work with MOD's (who deal with private verification like this) to provide proof of not only their employment with Nintendo but also proof that all the information I have posted on YouTube and my website is the truth.

Could you share links to your webpages?

Digging through this thread is quite an adventure.

Roo

If the power comment is related to the portable I tend to believe it. It will surprise many being almost as powerful as a wiiu.
For the home? I dont think so. To me it will be to the wiiu what the wii was to the gc.
That would mean being able to share not only the OS but also many dev assets.
There would be literally no reason to release a home console if it were a simply Wii U+ when the handheld is "already" Wii U levels.
Like.. That sounds stupid even.

Banned
Share it guys! My pm is ready.

You can't tease things like that and then "good night!".

Alright, thanks again.

The NX is canceled guys. Damn shame.

It was going to be...more powerful...than the PS4....

...and we were finally going to get...Jungle Beat 2....with a bongo in each donut screen...

*fades out of existence*

Malus.

10K.

Please

edit: Kirbyfan, mind pming me the link to his site as well? Would be much appreciated.
It's PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 with Snake and Knack.

Thanks for the PM Trev. You can trust me.

ZombAid82

Would also love a pm:)

Neoxon

I'd be down for a PM.

So the info everyone is going gaga over is that Zelda U will come out on NX as well? Are you guys shitting me? We've all assumed that for a year now.

marmoka

Banned
I suppose they will make a Direct giving info about Starfox, SMTXFE, Minecraft, and the unannounced game, along with Zelda U. This way they get rid of all the Wii U announcements, and leave all the NX games for the E3.

Will so many secrets, being developers and Nintendo workers unable to talk about the future console, this better be good.

maxcriden

Nah. They won't delay the handheld.

It's not a delay if the handheld was never actually planned for this year (at least in the West). We don't have any official word of when it's coming out or if it exists. (Not that I doubt it's existence.)

Zelda being on the NX does not conclude a console. It means jackshit in this day and age, actually.

Xenoblade, of all things, is on a 3DS.

Zelda coming to the nx this holiday does not in any way indicate that a home console comes first.

As others have said, XB had to be downgraded significantly to be on the N3DS. It's hard for me to imagine from everything I've read in this thread (paging blu and FourthStorm here) that the handheld will be as powerful as a Wii U. Why would Nintendo release a downgraded port of Zelda U for the handheld? It seems that would not help sell the handheld as an exciting device.

(Please also see my reply to Mpl below)

Personally, it's certainly not that I don't trust you Trev. But we've been here many times before with other folk claiming legit info. Get it confirmed with a mod and we're all golden. Your source isn't at risk by doing this.

We can't really say that in good faith with confidence, though. The fact of the matter is that the more a source puts themselves out there, the higher risk they are caught and fired and blacklisted. Raymond Reddington probably already has them on his list. (paging ElTorro to make a cool Blacklist themed NX .gif!!)

2 questions:

1) is zelda nx a port from zelda U? Or is it a different game? If its different, is it more like the zelda wiiu tech demo? ☺

2) You have said:Start saving your money for the Nintendo NX since it’s coming holiday 2016!

Does this mean that it will not be launched in nov but July?

I don't see what is leading you to believe that by "save your money now" and "coming holiday 2016" this means July. Usually when we say Holiday in the West we mean the end-of-year Holiday season of November and December. ☺

Guys, I'm on the fence here. I want to buy a Wii U but I'm afraid Nintendo will release their new console this year or the next year. I want a system to stay with me supported for at least two years.

So what do you think, should I buy a Wii U or wait for the NX reveal and see what it's all about?

I'd definitely wait until they reveal more info on the NX. It might have BC with Wii U.

And if Trevelyan is right, not much is coming for the Wii U this year.

It's very unlikely from all the tech talk I've read in this thread that NX will have full BC with Wii U. Based on prior comments from Nintendo I expect VC offerings from Wii U to be folded into NX, whether at launch or via drip feed, but mainline retail and eShop games will be unlikely to be playable on NX. Therefore, if you can find a great deal on a Wii U I see no reason to wait any longer to enjoy its stellar library. The two games I believe have the highest likelihood of an NX port are Zelda U and SSB. Beyond those two, there are many games worthy of owning a Wii U for.

Makes me wonder if Nintendo intentionally delayed Zelda and the game actually has been complete for months.

Nintendo doesn't intentionally delay a mainline Zelda. As others have said, they keep working on it. The Iwata Asks (😢😢😢) interviews about Zelda games, particularly Skyward Sword, are excellent reads and provide a lot of insight into the development process for those games. If it could have been ready for Holiday 2015 they wouldn't have released the message they did early last year about retooling the game and needing more time to develop it, and we would have seen it during E3. That is to say, I think they would have released it this past Holiday if they could have.

Honestly, Trevelan's rumor is great, but it's pretty much exactly what we've all been expecting since .....a year ago when Zelda U was delayed and those Foxconn documents leaked.
Miyamoto said in one of his interviews that, if Minecraft were to come to Nintendo systems, they'd have an opportunity to do something cool with their IPs, so yeah "the Minecraft Nintendo DLC/thing" has been hinted at before.

I really don't think we have to get a mod in here, what he/ his source said is extremely believable and not even a tiny bit out there .

Edit: You just have to listen to what Miyamoto says. He hinted at Starfox (and proper new Metroids), a remake of ALTTP (which apparently turned into ALBW) the Minecraft DLC/thing and one other thing I can't recall at the moment.

Where did he hint at the Metroids? I remember Tanabe or Sakamoto commenting on that, but I'm forgetting if I saw Miyamoto's comment.

On New 3DS. Even DKCR had issues being ported to the OG 3DS
But yeah, I don't think Nintendo is going to pass up the chance to launch with Zelda and that was planned for a 2016 release

I agree. That same line of thinking does sway me more towards the possibility of the West getting the console this year.

As I mentioned above, I just don't see Zelda U being a launch title for the handheld if we are only getting the handheld this year. To have it launch on a console and handheld only implies there is an even better version worth waiting for, and then likelihood is that the best version in November then would be the Wii U version and not the HH version...which seems to make for confusing messaging overall.

The site was posted earlier. I suppose he didn't post it directly because that would be auto-promotion, which is not that allowed on GAF. I think it's the same reason L-A posts all the news about Nintendo without links to his site.

By the way, since it seems there's enough agreement (especially from Trev himself) about asking to a mod to confirm it, I'm going to ask to bishoptl in the next few hours. Moreover: usually, sources are safe in this cases, no name is shared on the forum itself, just the "you're good, go on" confirmation message from bishoptl. Still, I'll warn him about your source's need to stay safe, Trev, don't worry.

Thanks for the clarification! I did find the site. As to Trev, I do hope the Nintendo employee in question is very careful. They are playing an extremely dangerous game with their career if they are legit.

So NX Launch Window

Zelda NX (Cross Gen)
Smash Port (This is basically confirmed by Bandai sources right?)
Other Bandai Games

What are the other rumored titles? Im assuming Square Enix will have quite a few

Quite a few is a generous prediction regarding SE, at least

Smash port is rumored but in no way can be said to be confirmed. Zelda is much more likely to be cross-gen this year I think if we do get the console. If we only get the HH I don't necessarily expect it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom