• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's even the point to get PS5 Pro when every game looks and feels like PS4 upgrade?

Klik

After 4 years into this gen,there is no game that even feels like a proper "next gen" or UE5 game in terms of graphical fidelity,level design,physics,AI..

Absolutely no reason to even get PS5 Pro let alone splash 800€ on this..

Worst gen ever,i think and hope proper next gen will start with PS6/Next Xbox

Last edited:

DryvBy

rmnUkoX.jpeg

REDRZA MWS

After 4 years into this gen,there is no game that even feels like a proper "next gen" or UE5 game in terms of graphical fidelity,level design,physics,AI..

I’m finally with this thought, I always get new hardware it’s something I’ve always done. Want my games to look and play best as can be.

But PS5 and SX feel like ps4 and Xbox one games with higher resolution and frames. I need to actually see and feel a difference this time because a minor practical upgrade makes no sense. By practical I mean something tangible worth the upgrade.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Gonna need a PC for that
Who needs a PC for some low effort emulation fan port, when we have our lord and saviour Sony?

“Other enhancements include PS5 Pro Game Boost, which can apply to more than 8,500 backward compatible PS4 games playable on PS5 Pro. This feature may stabilize or improve the performance of supported PS4 and PS5 games. Enhanced Image Quality for PS4 games is also available to improve the resolution on select PS4 games.”

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who needs a PC for some low effort emulation fan port, when we have our lord and saviour Sony?

“Other enhancements include PS5 Pro Game Boost, which can apply to more than 8,500 backward compatible PS4 games playable on PS5 Pro. This feature may stabilize or improve the performance of supported PS4 and PS5 games. Enhanced Image Quality for PS4 games is also available to improve the resolution on select PS4 games.”
I don't know if that's going to help on a game that's capped at 30fps. Probably not.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I love my ps5 slim. 10 months ago I got it with a drive and Spider-man 2 for $499. I think I even got a bonus Amazon gift card with it too. Regardless, I installed a 2TB WD Black SSD into it a few months later and I think I’m just gonna stay with that setup for the rest of the generation.

I was super excited for the Pro but the price tag was such a shocker. They could’ve atleast included a game like GT or Demon Souls that really takes advantage of the new tech.

Last edited:

Unknown?

You could ask the same thing about a 4090. People just have to have slightly better performance.

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
The best thing is, it's completely optional.
Yeah but the people who buy the shit kinda embolden these ramped up late stage capitalistic scams.

It also encourages devs to not get good at developing for the older console like in the old days. Where you would have gta 3 in launch era and God of war 2 at the end.

Releasing a ps5 pro when you software output is ass, kinda showcasing poor priorities. Supporting this shows no awareness of this and encourages it to continue....IMO

Exoil

I've never understood whining about the pricing of home consoles, and especially not today when people dish out double what the Pro will cost on a new fucking phone.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I've never understood whining about the pricing of home consoles, and especially not today when people dish out double what the Pro will cost on a new fucking phone.
Forget about phones( one can argue that they substituted many devices therefore worth the price), but look at GPU alone prices 😅

I wish people would stop with the phone comparisons. I spend way more time on my iphone annually than I do playing video games. Phones are an essential form of communication and infinitely more important in our daily lives.

Exoil

I wish people would stop with the phone comparisons. I spend way more time on my iphone annually than I do playing video games. Phones are an essential form of communication and infinitely more important in our daily lives.
Good for you, I use my phone a lot too. Don't need it to cost double what my consoles does though to be able to message and talk on it.
A home console should be a premium product, a phone not so much.

Forget about phones( one can argue that they substituted many devices therefore worth the price), but look at GPU alone prices 😅
Agreed, the prices are getting up there

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sigh. This is why I am against 60 fps modes. People play these games at 720p resolutions without next gen effects and think every game looks like a PS4 game.

Play Wukong. Avatar. Callisto. Starfield. Star Wars Jedi Survivor, FF16, and Hellblade 2 in fidelity mode and tell me if they still look like PS4 games.

You need the PS5 pro because you guys cant help playing 60 fps versions. At least now you will get fidelity mode at 60 fps and see what you've been missing.

HG5bf53.gif

cnBWBp9.gif

rBWdEWZ.gif

F1m9ADO.gif

violence

I bet Shadow of the Colossus remake will still be the same. It never got an update.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The only place where I get to feel the excitement of meaningful technological leaps, is in the standalone VR space. I'm glad I got to get in there with the OG Quest, so that I have been able to experience the improvements that has come with their hardware releases.

Just gonna ignore the fact you've been warned about diminishing returns since the PS3 era.
Not really fair to hand wave away the disappointment one may feel. We all know our time on this earth will end yet we don't dismiss ones anxiety towards it, as that time approaches. In other words, knowing of something is different than experiencing something.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Generational lines have been blurred now with visuals, the iterative tech and the digital accounts/the cloud etc...

I expect cross-gen will remain longer now and become the norm especially as it seems like the PS6 is going to be priced at a very premium price, probably $699-799 without a disc drive. So in that sense it will be difficult to entice the masses to jump into future generations as quickly.

Games that will probably be close to maxing out the PS6 will just be games that can run on PS5 and PS5 Pro but at higher resolutions, higher framerates and a few more graphical features.

So in that sense the question you ask OP will be applicable going forward to future generations too.

"What's even the point to get PS6 when every game looks and feels like PS5 upgrade?"
"What's even the point to get PS7 when every game looks and feels like PS6 upgrade?"

Etc...

Basically if you're happy with the current standard then you might as well stick with it. If you're an enthusaist like many here are then you have the option to upgrade a notch or two to the Pro or next gen when it comes.

Last edited:
They have been very explicit here. If you want fidelity modes at 60fps, this is the machine you want. Otherwise, don't buy it.

Guess what, this is what a big part of gamers want. There will probably be some bonuses, one or 2 8K games and improved IQ and RT in others games.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Yeah and just remember Intel...doing whatever they are doing with GPUs and AMD deprioritizing flagship gaming GPUs, so Nvidia is about to skyrocket the prices once again I suspect.

Premium gaming is about to get pricey, especially if the nex-Box is a platform agnostic pc.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

The only place where I get to feel the excitement of meaningful technological leaps, is in the standalone VR space. I'm glad I got to get in there with the OG Quest, so that I have been able to experience the improvements that has come with their hardware releases.

Not really fair to hand wave away the disappointment one may feel. We all know our time on this earth will end yet we don't dismiss ones anxiety towards it, as that time approaches. In other words, knowing of something is different than experiencing something.
We're done with the massive leaps of the 90s and 00s, so may as well get used to it going forward. People are gonna be super disappointed with the NEXT gen PS6 and Xbox if they can't come to grips with the idea of diminishing returns.

Skifi28

It also encourages devs to not get good at developing for the older console like in the old days. Where you would have gta 3 in launch era and God of war 2 at the end.
I don't think devs need much encouragement. Recent releases on console have been quite bad technically with 720p upscaled with FSR2 and that's without the pro. One can either keep suffering through them or spend money to get an upgrade, expensive as it is. In the end, the base system will still account for 80%+ of PS5s out there and thus developers will have incentive to not butcher the base version, assuming it's within their capabilities.

Releasing a ps5 pro when you software output is ass, kinda showcasing poor priorities. Supporting this shows no awareness of this and encourages it to continue....IMO
These things are unrelated. Those developing games have little to do with those making the new hardware, Sony is not prioritising one over the other. The pro is also used to play all games, not just first party releases. I'm personally most exicted for third party stuff like rebirth with the upgrades.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

We're done with the massive leaps of the 90s and 00s, so may as well get used to it going forward. People are gonna be super disappointed with the NEXT gen PS6 and Xbox if they can't come to grips with the idea of diminishing returns.
There are so many things you can do to make gaming feel like actual jumps than just ramp up graphics though. Areas like physics, interactivity, and NPC AI are severely neglected. A cartoony game with masterful animation still feels more alive than these hyperrealistic games that are completely static where the characters move like robots. Nintendo, Meta Quest, and some other studios still push gameplay. The PS5 dualsense has more of a pull for me to buy a PS5 than just raytracing, 60 fps, and some extra details. I think it will be harder to make big leaps like before, but there are still ways to create fresh new experiences.

Top Bottom