• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's even the point to get PS5 Pro when every game looks and feels like PS4 upgrade?

KaiserBecks

Grand Theft Auto Bikini GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Playing the best version available day1 is good enough for me.

After 4 years into this gen,there is no game that even feels like a proper "next gen" or UE5 game in terms of graphical fidelity,level design,physics,AI..

Absolutely no reason to even get PS5 Pro let alone splash 800€ on this..

Worst gen ever,i think and hope proper next gen will start with PS6/Next Xbox
There really is only a few titles that feel next gen. FF16, Gt7, Baldurs Gate 3, Astrobot, Dragon's Dogma 2, Robocop, Dead space remake, Calisto, stellar blade, Elden Ring and that's about it.

Sethbacca

There are so many things you can do to make gaming feel like actual jumps than just ramp up graphics though. Areas like physics, interactivity, and NPC AI are severely neglected. A cartoony game with masterful animation still feels more alive than these hyperrealistic games that are completely static where the characters move like robots. Nintendo, Meta Quest, and some other studios still push gameplay. The PS5 dualsense has more of a pull for me to buy a PS5 than just raytracing, 60 fps, and some extra details. I think it will be harder to make big leaps like before, but there are still ways to create fresh new experiences.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but (and pulling it out of my ass here) like 90% of the complaints about "WHY DO WE NEED A PS5 PRO ANYWAY" directly reference graphics. At the end of the day trailers and screenshots move a big chunk of software and that's where all the whining is. Astrobot has been a great experience because it specifically leverages all kinds of fun stuff with the controller and physics. So I agree with you for the most part.

Fbh

Gold Member
From this year alone:
Helldivers 2: Performance mode runs at 1080p
FF7 Rebirth: Performance mode looks blurry as fuck with worse image quality than part 1
Rise of Ronin: Performance mode usually runs at under 1080p and isn't even a locked 60fps
Dragons Dogma 2: Runs with an unlocked 30fps, no mode even comes close to consistent 60fps, 30 lock has bad framepacing.
Shadow of the Erdtree: Still have to download and play the Ps4 version on Ps5 if you want actual consistent 60fps
Black Myth Wukong: Performance mode runs at 1080 and looks like shit in motion with tons of artifacting from FSR resolution upscaling AND frame generation, still has tons of drops into the 40's
Space Marine 2: Performance mode drops as low as 720p at times and framerate is all over the place
Star War Outlawas: Performance mode drops as low as 720p at times and still has lots of frame drops.

Will Ps5 pro fix all of the issues? I don't know, probably not since they didn't upgrade the CPU.
But assuming it can provide better image quality at more consistent framerates in most of these games I can definitely see the appeal of the upgrade. Is it worth $700+ though? That's for everyone to decide on their own

KXVXII9X

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but (and pulling it out of my ass here) like 90% of the complaints about "WHY DO WE NEED A PS5 PRO ANYWAY" directly reference graphics. At the end of the day trailers and screenshots move a big chunk of software and that's where all the whining is. Astrobot has been a great experience because it specifically leverages all kinds of fun stuff with the controller and physics. So I agree with you for the most part.
I understand what you mean. A lot of trailers do focus a lot on the graphics. I hope the extra power in the pro can be used for other things as well.

wade-barrett-bad-news.gif

But also some good news, if you thought this gens jump was small, the next gen will make it look big by comparison.
yep. 'diminishing returns' is real. we gamers're currently living within it. beyond a certain point, technology leaves the average human senses of vision & hearing behind, & becomes pure fetishization for its own sake...

Sigh. This is why I am against 60 fps modes. People play these games at 720p resolutions without next gen effects and think every game looks like a PS4 game.

Play Wukong. Avatar. Callisto. Starfield. Star Wars Jedi Survivor, FF16, and Hellblade 2 in fidelity mode and tell me if they still look like PS4 games.

You need the PS5 pro because you guys cant help playing 60 fps versions. At least now you will get fidelity mode at 60 fps and see what you've been missing.

HG5bf53.gif

cnBWBp9.gif

rBWdEWZ.gif

F1m9ADO.gif

If what Cerny said was true. 3/4 of gamers are playing 60 fps games at ps4-ps3 resolutions in addition to other graphical cutbacks. No wonder we always get the where are the next gen games for my ps5 threads every month.

Yet even those not proper next-gen games are struggling to keep 60fps and having to lower their res to 720p-1080p, so i see the value in better hardware when it screams that current hardware is done, BUT not at this price.

Problem is success has gone to Sony's head, they have no competition anymore...so they can price this thing at whatever amount they want...it's not about being competitive, it's about extracting more money out of you

Of course they can price at whatever they want...

It's an OPTIONAL UPGRADE....

It's not like the base PS5 stops working...

They will be running the VERY SAME GAMES

You don't like the price?

DON'T BUY IT... Problem solved

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thank you for making a thread to console us. We grown adults wouldn't know how to make an educated decision based on our needs. And no, this opinion thread doesn't validate yours either. If you happened to be buying than maybe we can all share our findings and things once its out. But no one is looking for anyones opinion such as the topic creators.

splattered

After 4 years into this gen,there is no game that even feels like a proper "next gen" or UE5 game in terms of graphical fidelity,level design,physics,AI..

Unfortunately I 100% agree with you

Celcius

°Temp. member
Everyone’s salty about the price but this machine was never designed to have mass market affordable appeal - that’s the regular ps5.
You get a significantly better gpu, PSSR, WiFi 7, an extra terabyte of storage, faster RAM, and beefier cooling for an extra $200. That’s very reasonable imho.
Sony knows that most people didn’t buy the ps4 pro and likely won’t get the ps5 pro either. It’s a machine for a small niche of the market and that’s ok.

Last edited:
I don't give a shit about graphics overall, the PS5 Pro allows me to hit better frames with more fidelity and that's all I care about. I want to enjoy games like FF7R without them looking like someone rubbed vaseline over my screen, and I also want to enjoy Sony's first party games like GT7 in fidelity mode at 60fps. I'm also looking very much forward to playing my PSVR2 games with better graphics.

The console is totally optional and isn't aimed at everyone. It's not a mainstream console and it's geared towards customers with specific wants and needs from their console. It's the same way my 4090 isn't a mainstream card, it's geared towards PC gamers like myself who don't want compromises in their PC games. The 4090 isn't cheap and I don't expect the PS5 Pro to be cheap, it's geared towards enthusiasts and people outside of the mainstream.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
more fps and more resolution. stupid question. the resolution the ps5 is pushing does not look good on an big tv outside of sony exclusives.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Not likely. They're all far too greedy to make games just for new hardware these days. Look forward to a metric shit ton of Ps6 'upgraded games' and virtually fucking nothing that actually requires the new hardware to run.

Puscifer

Let me rephrase your question, what is the point of buying Nvidia latest card for $2000 if every game looks and feels like PS4 upgrade?
Apples and oranges. No one's buying halo products on that scale and even if they were they're experiencing graphical features you won't even get with this upgraded pro.

tkscz

From this year alone:
Helldivers 2: Performance mode runs at 1080p
FF7 Rebirth: Performance mode looks blurry as fuck with worse image quality than part 1
Rise of Ronin: Performance mode usually runs at under 1080p and isn't even a locked 60fps
Dragons Dogma 2: Runs with an unlocked 30fps, no mode even comes close to consistent 60fps, 30 lock has bad framepacing.
Shadow of the Erdtree: Still have to download and play the Ps4 version on Ps5 if you want actual consistent 60fps
Black Myth Wukong: Performance mode runs at 1080 and looks like shit in motion with tons of artifacting from FSR resolution upscaling AND frame generation, still has tons of drops into the 40's
Space Marine 2: Performance mode drops as low as 720p at times and framerate is all over the place
Star War Outlawas: Performance mode drops as low as 720p at times and still has lots of frame drops.

Will Ps5 pro fix all of the issues? I don't know, probably not since they didn't upgrade the CPU.
But assuming it can provide better image quality at more consistent framerates in most of these games I can definitely see the appeal of the upgrade. Is it worth $700+ though? That's for everyone to decide on their own
What hardware are developers making these games for? What happened to understanding the hardware you're working on and aiming to make sure your game runs best on it?

I'm not a developer, but it feels like they aren't optimizing their games to run on the hardware that's out there. Choosing to push graphical shaders and lighting over making the game look good based on what the hardware can do.

Bernardougf

Eventually things would hit a plato with diminishing returns... technology just dont make huge leaps eternally.... and even than do you really want games taking 10 years to make and costing 100 bucks ??.. I would settle for ps4 graphics with 60-120 fps and better effects if it meant games costing less and taking less time to launch... this eternal persue for edge graphics and realism while catering to 500 dolars plastic boxes is becoming increasingly ridiculous and damaging for the industry imho ...

PUNKem733

People will never learn. Once next gen starts, people like this, after a year or two will say the same shit since most games will be cross gen like this gen to start. You'll be like, can't wait for PS7/nextnextxbox for a proper next gen.

Last edited:

ZehDon

The PS5 Pro exists for the same reason ultra high-end PC hardware exist: for those who want it. Do I see value in the PS5 Pro? Not at all. Should it exist? The market should, and will, dictate that. Without competition in the market, Sony doesn't have to offer as much value - but if people still buy it, they'll keep making it.

rsouzadk

Sigh. This is why I am against 60 fps modes. People play these games at 720p resolutions without next gen effects and think every game looks like a PS4 game.

Play Wukong. Avatar. Callisto. Starfield. Star Wars Jedi Survivor, FF16, and Hellblade 2 in fidelity mode and tell me if they still look like PS4 games.

You need the PS5 pro because you guys cant help playing 60 fps versions. At least now you will get fidelity mode at 60 fps and see what you've been missing.

HG5bf53.gif

cnBWBp9.gif

rBWdEWZ.gif

F1m9ADO.gif

Man... Calisto Protocol graphics are just insane. I've played it on pc at max settings i cannot believe how good it looks.

nkarafo

The best thing is, it's completely optional.
The problem is that the Pro could affect the way the games look/perform on the base model in a negative way.

As long as they use the base model as the target, that's fine. You will still get the intended look, just at 30fps. The Pro users will play the same looking game at higher resolutions/frame rate.

But if developers start using the pro as the base for their games, they will end up using that extra power for even better graphics/effects at 30fps, which means the base model will now have to use lower quality textures, lower geometry, worse LOD, etc, on top of the lower possible frame rate. You won't have the intended look is what i'm saying but something closer to a low quality preset for PCs.

I have to say, the big difference I notice between playing a game on the PS4 and the PS5 is how much faster the games load on the PS5, not the graphical improvements.
That's mostly the work of the SSD though. Doesn't the PS4 load quicker if you replace the HDD with an SSD?

I have an 11 year old PC an HDD initially. When i replaced it with an SSD, it felt like i got a new system. Everything would load in an instant by comparison, without changing any other hardware part.

Matsuchezz

Exactly this. People are acting so fucking weird about the Pro.
It's the Battaglia clan effect, it's not sufficient that PC succeeds, Playstation must fail. People are butt hurt since the rumor started, and i think the hurt got even worse. So now people are bleeding from their ass. Really Sad. But this will repeat itself until the end of times.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This gen moved things forward and turned the page on disk drives, you had the chip shortages, and frankly the negatives the op described is played out. Sony is involved with multiple developers, every game released so far has been AAA.

Bernardougf

HG5bf53.gif

cnBWBp9.gif

rBWdEWZ.gif

F1m9ADO.gif
I prefer to play ps4 looking games at 60 fps than ps5 looking ones at 30 fps... choices are great.. and apparently 3/4 of the ps5 players agree that 60 fps modes are better despite the cutbacks. Imho The time of 30 fps games should end. Every game should be 60 fps minimum and from there you upgrade the graphics as you can. But ... as long as there are options for me is ok I dont mind people thinking and choosing different from me.

What hardware are developers making these games for? What happened to understanding the hardware you're working on and aiming to make sure your game runs best on it?

I'm not a developer, but it feels like they aren't optimizing their games to run on the hardware that's out there. Choosing to push graphical shaders and lighting over making the game look good based on what the hardware can do.
They were all expecting that 30 fps would be the norm this generation so they designed the visuals around that from the start.

I also hope we will get back to 60 fps with reasonable image quality on base consoles, even if it means a cut back in visuals.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I prefer to play ps4 looking games at 60 fps than ps5 looking ones at 30 fps... choices are great.. and apparently 3/4 of the ps5 players agree that 60 fps modes are better despite the cutbacks. Imho The time of 30 fps games should end. Every game should be 60 fps minimum and from there you upgrade the graphics as you can. But ... as long as there are options for me is ok I dont mind people thinking and choosing different from me.
thats fine. i just dont care for people who make threads like this and say games still look like ps4 games when its literally not true.

i hate that sony is charging an extra $700 to give us fidelity plus 60 fps when they couldve gone with a 14 tflops console for $599 that wouldnt have had this issue. but no they wanted to target that $399 pricepoint and now they are being too greedy and trying extort hardcore gamers who actually want ps5 fidelity graphics at 60 fps.

Top Bottom