• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Battersea Power Station said:
What is the protein "crap?" i.e. what else is in it?

I use GNC Whey Protein and haven't noticed any problems, but I'm very paranoid about taking "substances." I try to find whatever is the most natural (or at least whatever can best fool me into believing it's natural).

With that criteria in mind, what protein powder and protein bar would you fellows recommend?

I got Optimum Nutrition Natural Vanilla Whey. No sucralose or additives. Just protein powder.

I haven't read their nutritional program yet, but the key to protein is variety. Different foods have different ratios of essential amino acids, meaning if you eat just whey, you're not getting as many complete grams of protein as the package says. Whey is low in methionine and Tryptophan. Mix it up with eggs, beef, chicken, whey, rice/beans, nuts, legumes, and you can't go wrong.

I don't trust sports "medicine" with all of the crazy extracts and chems. Just see the recent airing of "if you had hydroxycut, speak to your doctor. hydroxycut has been linked to liver failure and *death*."

rush777

On my 7th week now and I've lost 35 pounds so far, program is great but you have to eat properly as well to get full results.

The Ab ripper destroyes me after someworkouts.

Slurmer

Banned
rush777 said:
On my 7th week now and I've lost 35 pounds so far, program is great but you have to eat properly as well to get full results.

Are you following the nutrition guide or doing your own thing? That's really impressive--congrats:D

OxtheMidget said:
Ok guys, so I'm planning on starting the routine in about 2 weeks. I have a couple questions, though.

1) If I have carpet on my living room, do I still need a yoga mat at all?
2) I'm on a budget, so spending the least amount of money is a priority. With that in mind, what weight dumbbells do I need? (I'll be using these instead of resistance bands)

I would recommend getting a mat. If you have a very plush carpet it will be ok in terms of cushioning, but you wont get great grip. You can get a decent mat for about £10 over here, so not overy expensive.

Dumbells, really depends on how strong you are. At a bare minimum you need a light weight (for shoulder/back flies/tricep kickbacks), a medium weight (for tricep extensions, or if you progress rapidly on the previous exercises), and a heavy weight (for heavy pants/lawnmowers etc). Best bet would be to go to a public access gym (if there is one locally) and try out the different exercises with different weights, and based on that select the three best suited for you, and try to get them on ebay or similar. Ideally though you either get a full set of dumbells, or bands, or get adjustable dumbells.

Did plyo a few hours ago, was much better than usual despite a truly crappy night's sleep. Right hammie is a bit tweaky after it though, need to strech out some after lunch.

Missed my week 3 Yoga last night as I forgot I had a prior commitment so didn't get up early in the morning to do it.

Do you guys think it would be ok to just miss that one entirely seeing as I've almost finished week 3 and will be doing it s couple of times next week anyway. My groin has been a little off as well these past few days so I'm figuring it wouldn't hurt too much to skip it this one time...

Rayme

OmniGamer said:
I posted one of the pics I took from my Day 30 set...no one cared :lol:
I do! I care. Found it really inspiring, thanks for doing it.

I'm ordering this shit now. Then starting on it next Monday. Scared as hell.

OmniGamer said:
I posted one of the pics I took from my Day 30 set...no one cared :lol

I'm just under a week away from my day 60 mark.

I missed it on my first read through of the thread as it was a link rather than pics but I just had a look and I find it encouraging so please do post a 60 day pic when you get the chance.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Just got the DVDs and chin up bar today. I'm not so sure about the chin up bar... it makes squeaky sounds when it's rubbing up against the door way. It's a little scary to use at first but it seems to hold up well enough.

teh_pwn

cybamerc said:
Just got the DVDs and chin up bar today. I'm not so sure about the chin up bar... it makes squeaky sounds when it's rubbing up against the door way. It's a little scary to use at first but it seems to hold up well enough.

Just make sure the door isn't rotten. One of my door frames squeaked, and I got up on a stool and looked at it as I applied weight on the other side. There were cracks in the wood and it compressed with pressure. I don't imagine you want that. I went to a different door that's in better condition with no problems.

Balboa

cybamerc said:
I wrap a sock around each of the plastic handles, gets rid of the noise.

O.DOGG

I'm on my first week of P90X. I've been boxing for the past three years or so, and I'm in pretty good shape overall but I suffered a disc herniation about six months ago so I'm being careful.
After Tuesday's workout - the plyometrics one, I started feeling a pain in my lower back again. Not major pain but it's enough to make me pay attention. So I decided that the yoga part might not be happening, and moved on to the rest. I'm busy today so I'll move the Legs + Back and the Kenpo workouts up a day.
The problem is combining my regular boxing routine with this. I go to the gym about four days a week, and if I'm to start P90X, I will have to work out two or even three times a day. I'll stick with it for a week and make up my mind after that.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I'm in my fourth week and just got done doing Core Synergystics for the first time. If you think Plyo was hard, you haven't seen nothing yet. CS tore me a new asshole. :lol

Javaman

YagizY said:
So is there any way to do this without a pull-up bar? I'm pretty heavy (225 lbs and 6'4) and I don't like the idea of door frame pull up bars.

Also, I think I know the answer to this already but..... is this high impact on your feet? The reason I ask is because I had 2 foot surgeries recently and I'm going to start walking soon but the doctor told me that it wouldn't be smart to do a lot of lateral movement and high impact stuff for another 6 months.

I'm 220 and the iron gym works like a champ. If you're afraid of the trim failing, just tack a couple of nails into the upper trim, right into the header. That's where your weight is hanging.
doorframe.gif

OmniGamer

Rayme said:
I do! I care. Found it really inspiring, thanks for doing it.

I'm ordering this shit now. Then starting on it next Monday. Scared as hell.

J Tourettes said:
I missed it on my first read through of the thread as it was a link rather than pics but I just had a look and I find it encouraging so please do post a 60 day pic when you get the chance.

Ah ok, cool, thanks guys, will do.

grumble

rush777 said:

I'm surprised you've managed that, considering that 1-2 pounds a week is generally considered healthy normal weight loss, meaning you've managed to lose more than double that amount. This is tough for me to understand, because a pound of fat is about 3500 calories, and you'd have to have a massive caloric deficit to burn that much off that fast. How'd you pull it?

teh_pwn

grumble said:
I'm surprised you've managed that, considering that 1-2 pounds a week is generally considered healthy normal weight loss, meaning you've managed to lose more than double that amount. This is tough for me to understand, because a pound of fat is about 3500 calories, and you'd have to have a massive caloric deficit to burn that much off that fast. How'd you pull it?

It's possible to lose 35 pounds over 7 weeks if you're really, really out of shape and follow the exercises and diet perfectly.

The calories burnt while exercising is only a small percentage of the calories burned. The process of repairing every muscle in the body, and the energy needed to build it is where the bulk of it is.

Switching to a high protein diet increases the amount of calories burnt digesting food too.

FoeHammer

DeathNote said:
I can't do pullups at all really. Can I do this routine?

Sure, just use a chair to help get you to the bar.

I'm in pretty decent shape and I have to use a chair after the first few pullup exercises. You'll still be getting a great workout despite using it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
FoeHammer said:
Sure, just use a chair to help get you to the bar.

I'm in pretty decent shape and I have to use a chair after the first few pullup exercises. You'll still be getting a great workout despite using it.
K, great.

Anyone know how this compares to Robert Dos Remedios' Men's Health Power Training routine?

teh_pwn

You can also use resistance bands on the pullup bar to simulate pullups. They demonstrate how to do this in the workout for both under and overarm pullups.

alternade

I have p90x and was doing great in it......and then I just stopped for some reason. I really wasnt in the best shape when I started(about 25lbs overweight). I've started going to the gym to lose the excess weight and then plan to restart P90x to get the body in shape. Right now im just trying to work on losing the 25 or so pounds, not really concerned about gaining muscle. Ive only been going to the gym for about a week, but already I feel better and have a little bit more stamina.

Does anyone have any before and after pics from the system?

Just finished my first week.(actually, today is my "do nothing" day, by design)

Body's sore but I'm hungry for more!

Roadblock, is that me?

Brannon

I though Yoga X would be easy. Then he made me do the damned Vinyasas over and over again. Then the crane movement and insane flexibility moves that I have no way of doing effectively yet, for one and a half hours... oh god.

But a few minutes after I finished it, instead of feeling sore like usual, something just... opened up (can't explain it), and I felt great all night and all through today. Have no idea where the energy came from, but I like it.

Amzin

I've been doing p90x for a couple weeks straight now, and the biggest problem for me is the time. I'd been doing self-regulated exercises for 30-50 minutes most days of the week for a couple months, but it wasn't doing much, so I decided to try this. It's a great workout, but some days I just don't have time for the longer ones (yoga, or adding on ab ripper after a workout) so I keep having to skip the last few routines. Otherwise pretty happy though.

I do have a question: I'm doing the 'lean' program, but I want to work plyo into it. I was thinking of replacing the Cardio X with Plyo, you guys think that's a good fit or should I replace one of the other workouts with it?

Off to do Kenpo now actually!

Edit: Yea the Yoga X is crazy. The first time I did it, I only had time for about 45 mins then the cooldown, so when I did it the second time all the way through, I found out I stopped RIGHT before the really freaking hard stuff :p

Not flexible to do some of the moves right, but there was only one I think I couldn't do at least over halfway. I think the Tae Kwon Do and misc stuff I was doing helped round me out for a lot of p90x. Just need to lose a bit of weight and add the muscle.

Amzin

DeathNote said:
Where's the best place to buy it? Amazon? Beachbody?

Looks like amazon has it new and used, the used looks like a good deal. A lot of the supplemental guides and such are free online, so even if you just get the dvd's cheap you should be okay.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Amzin said:
Looks like amazon has it new and used, the used looks like a good deal. A lot of the supplemental guides and such are free online, so even if you just get the dvd's cheap you should be okay.
Oh yeah I didn't even think about that. Looks like ebay has some better deals.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
P90X is cheap on Ebay but you have no way of knowing if you're getting an original product. To my knowledge the original product always comes with documentation. I ordered directly from Beachbody just to be sure. Printed copies are also nicer to read IMO.

teh_pwn

Just finished day 5 of classics.

First day I couldn't keep up in some areas.

Today was legs & back, and I could only do one set of pullups before I had to resort to resistance bands. Some of the lunges were really hard to balance, like yesterday's yoga made my balancing muscles sore.

But where I really failed was ab ripper x. 2 minutes into it I stopped, because all sorts of things felt overtrained and hurt. Legs and back from today's workout, and abs too somewhat.

Anyone else experience this the first week? Do I need to eat more? Or is ab ripper for a 3rd time in the first week have this kind of response in most people?

Dipper145

So the room I workout in doesn't have a door with the right size for any pullup bar I could find. Nor do I have any door to use the door anchor along with resistance bands. The only way to do it would be to use them on the big 5x6 post. But I don't know where to get any kind of straps to wrap around it.

I really want to do the pullup/other back exercises that use a pull-up bar or the resistance bands so I need to find someway to do it.

So does anyone know where to get some sort of big strap with a closed loop at both ends?

Or any other kind of alternative I might not have thought about?

Brannon

Dipper145 said:
So the room I workout in doesn't have a door with the right size for any pullup bar I could find. Nor do I have any door to use the door anchor along with resistance bands. The only way to do it would be to use them on the big 5x6 post. But I don't know where to get any kind of straps to wrap around it.

I really want to do the pullup/other back exercises that use a pull-up bar or the resistance bands so I need to find someway to do it.

So does anyone know where to get some sort of big strap with a closed loop at both ends?

Or any other kind of alternative I might not have thought about?

You're just going to have to hit the pause button to get to a room with a door that closes to use the door jamb with the resistance bands.

Aulatori

Well... damn. Day 1 for me today and it's pretty clear that I have a long way to go.

I should probably start with P90 since I've done nothing but sit in front of a computer for 5 years, but I like the intensity and the challenge. As it stands I wasn't able to quite finish the workout today, but I'm ok with that considering where I'm starting from.

Haha, I can feel my muscles stiffening and can only imagine what tomorrow will bring (morning and evening when I do Plyo!).

LCfiner

so, status update.

last night I started the first phase 2 workout for p90x. chest, shoulders and triceps.

Holy shit, it was intense! :lol

they do pushups where one hand is on a sliding plate or towel so it's a pushup and a fly at the same time. WTF. plus clap push ups where you push up, lift your arms, clap, then come back down (I was able to do both of these from my knees but only very, very carefully and I can't get too much depth)

Then there were one handed push ups. As soon as I bent my arm a little bit to begin the motion, I immediately collapsed under my weight and landed on my stomach. :lol I ended up just doing normal push ups for this section.

I also noticed that there are fewer "official" breaks between sets. Tony will talk for a while but there was only one "water break" that was put up on screen.

At the end of the routine, after I had showered and chilled out, my arm muscles were slightly spasming while I was on the computer. It was so funny. My whole left arm above the elbow was shaking and jittering.

Anyway, yeah, it'll take me a few weeks before I get comfortable with these new workouts, that's for sure.

LCfiner said:
so, status update.

last night I started the first phase 2 workout for p90x. chest, shoulders and triceps.

Holy shit, it was intense! :lol

they do pushups where one hand is on a sliding plate or towel so it's a pushup and a fly at the same time. WTF. plus clap push ups where you push up, lift your arms, clap, then come back down (I was able to do both of these from my knees but only very, very carefully and I can't get too much depth)

Then there were one handed push ups. As soon as I bent my arm a little bit to begin the motion, I immediately collapsed under my weight and landed on my stomach. :lol I ended up just doing normal push ups for this section.

I also noticed that there are fewer "official" breaks between sets. Tony will talk for a while but there was only one "water break" that was put up on screen.

At the end of the routine, after I had showered and chilled out, my arm muscles were slightly spasming while I was on the computer. It was so funny. My whole left arm above the elbow was shaking and jittering.

Anyway, yeah, it'll take me a few weeks before I get comfortable with these new workouts, that's for sure.

FEEL THE X

DON'T GO GET NO CRISPY CREAMS

Man, Tony is like my new best friend right now. I hate him, though.

Just did my first Core synergystics and while it was hard, it wasn't as hard as I was expecting it to be. So far the first time I did Plyo has been my worst experience, it absolutely kicked my arse!

teh_pwn

Aulatori said:
Well... damn. Day 1 for me today and it's pretty clear that I have a long way to go.

I should probably start with P90 since I've done nothing but sit in front of a computer for 5 years, but I like the intensity and the challenge. As it stands I wasn't able to quite finish the workout today, but I'm ok with that considering where I'm starting from.

Haha, I can feel my muscles stiffening and can only imagine what tomorrow will bring (morning and evening when I do Plyo!).

Just do what you can. Scale down things and pause. If it was easy, you wouldn't get any gains.

My first day I had to pause constantly because I had to catch my breath. I even got dizzy at times. It's only been a week and I don't experience that anymore. The body is quick to improve oxygen and glycogen levels.

Chris R

Saw an infomercial for this last night. Any idea on what kinda weights I'd be needing? I have 2x35s, but I'm betting I can't just use those for every exercise :lol Would I need to get like 2x5s/10s/15s/20s/25s? Or could I just go get some 10s? Also, any place that might have a sample of one of the routines? 100$ is quite a bit of money for me right now, but if it is worth it I'll buy it.

teh_pwn

rhfb said:
Saw an infomercial for this last night. Any idea on what kinda weights I'd be needing? I have 2x35s, but I'm betting I can't just use those for every exercise :lol Would I need to get like 2x5s/10s/15s/20s/25s? Or could I just go get some 10s? Also, any place that might have a sample of one of the routines? 100$ is quite a bit of money for me right now, but if it is worth it I'll buy it.

Depends on your strength. I'm just starting out, and I'm using 10s and 15s. I've got 25s for when I get stronger.

They use these dumbbells in just about every motion possible over dozens of sets over a workout that's about an hour long. It's very easy to burn out with light weights if you're out of shape like me.

You'll also need a pull up bar (Like Iron Gym, can attach to door) and/or resistance bands.

Dipper145

rhfb said:
You could try getting the resistance bands they offer because I believe they show a way to do every exercise with the resistance bands. I can't recall exactly because there are so many, but in every workout there seems to be one person specifically who is chosen to do the resistance band version of the exercise. This would also save you money from having to buy the pull up bar as well.

But I'm not sure if you'll achieve the same benefit with the bands as opposed to free weights. You could get adjustable weights, instead of a bunch of different ones, but then you will have to pause the change the weight on them between some exercises. Or you could buy the program and try out a couple of the routines and see what kind of weights you might need. I would say 10s/25s and something in between.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I was checking out on the beachbody website but I decided to cancel. I was like on step 2 of 4 and just x'ed out. Turns out the order went through with no confirmation email. I don't care, cause I want the kit, but it's annoying that you can't check the order status through the web. I copy and pasted the random order number at least. They better not charge tax on moth 2 and 3.

Aulatori

teh_pwn said:
Just do what you can. Scale down things and pause. If it was easy, you wouldn't get any gains.

My first day I had to pause constantly because I had to catch my breath. I even got dizzy at times. It's only been a week and I don't experience that anymore. The body is quick to improve oxygen and glycogen levels.
Yep, that's what I ended up doing today with Plyo and that made all the difference. I definitely don't have the stamina to keep up here in the first couple of days, but that's really to be expected right now. So far so good though!

So, I decided yesterday that I'd give this a trial run, maybe just a day or two, as I want to start for real The second or third week in september after I get back from vacation.

Well fuck me. I did Ab Ripper X first, since I heard people say that after Chest & Back you have no energy left. I got through it ok, and yeah I was damn tired and out of breath. I took a short break and then went into Chest & Back, which I only got through about half of (I hadn't eaten in about six hours and I was starting to get really shaky, so I stopped). Today I am fucking paying for Ab Ripper X. My abs burn so much, especially around my hips, that I can barely even sit at my desk and focus on work. I took some ibuprofen and for about four hours that really helped, but it's wearing off and it's like extreme now :lol

When I walk it feels horrible unless I lean the top half of my body forward. I'm hoping that since I did this now that when I actually start for real it won't be so bad, but goddamn. I wonder if a recovery drink and what not would have made this less painful.

teh_pwn

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I got through it ok, and yeah I was damn tired and out of breath. I took a short break and then went into Chest & Back, which I only got through about half of (I hadn't eaten in about six hours and I was starting to get really shaky, so I stopped).

The soreness and shakes reduce within several days. Try drinking small amounts of juice during the workout. That will resupply your muscles with more glycogen/energy, reducing the shakes and allowing you to work out harder.

I'm on day 1 on my second week. Strength is up a bit, did chest/back exercises with 15 lbs instead of 10 like last time. What's changed the most is endurance. I don't have to pause all of the time to catch my breath, and I can do several more reps on some exercises.

Only thing that I couldn't do were dive bomber push ups. I was worn out by the time I got to that, and they seem by far the hardest exercise. I could only do a couple the first set, and by the second set I didn't have enough strength for the second set of diamond pushups.

Is there a recommended nutrition guide alternative to the P90x? I see it has people taking supplements and bars and stuff that they offer but can you just take any other bar/supplement instead? The stuff they sell is pricey - So I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

The food doesnt seem bad.. I can eat healthy and force myself no problem it just doesnt seem like that would be enough. It looks like it really relies on the supplements. My goal isn't to really 'lose weight' but more to build endurance and to tone up.

Cipherr

What if none of your door frames are suitable, at like, all. Ive seen people mention using a chair or some type of resistance band? Got any links to images of what you all are talking about? Id like to see.

Aulatori

Puncture said:
What if none of your door frames are suitable, at like, all. Ive seen people mention using a chair or some type of resistance band? Got any links to images of what you all are talking about? Id like to see.
This video here shows how you would be doing pullups (generally with the door attachment rather than the solution he shows, but it demonstrates the idea). In the P90X videos, he does a good job taking time to show how you would be doing moves with the bands if you're using them including pullups.

Top Bottom