• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

nubbe

2 weeks down and I can already tighten my belt with one hole. :D

My weight is about the same but my endurance and strength have improved quite a bit.

I like this program. And the best part is to be rid of the sugar desire! Saves me a ton of money :p

LCfiner

So I'm finally starting phase 3 :D

weight has been constant the last 2 weeks, which is slightly disappointing but I'm still down around 20 pounds from when I started and I definitely feel looser in the pants and some shirts.

Did the chest/ back video last night for the first time in 4 weeks. damn, it was nice to see Morraine do those dive bombers again and calling out for "German potato soup". :lol

I expect the next 4 weeks to go by quickly. then i can chill for a week or so and, well, start it all over again

phinious

OmniGamer said:
Sidenote...on two separate occasions this week I got comments on my body. My sister said my arms were looking really good. And yesterday, a friend of my mom's friend, a lady I met for the first time, asked if I worked out, and I said "yeah, off and on, though pretty consistently at the moment", and she said she could tell. So that felt good, and i can't wait to get back on track and keep the improvements going.

LCfiner said:
So I'm finally starting phase 3 :D

weight has been constant the last 2 weeks, which is slightly disappointing but I'm still down around 20 pounds from when I started and I definitely feel looser in the pants and some shirts.

Nice guys, keep up the good work!

After two months I totally fell off the wagon with P90. I can make excuses (work, being sick, going on vacation) but ultimately I got lazy. I'm just starting to see nice results too and have been getting compliments. UGH, I need Tony to come to my house and slap me.

grumble

Jugendstil said:
After two months I totally fell off the wagon with P90. I can make excuses (work, being sick, going on vacation) but ultimately I got lazy. I'm just starting to see nice results too and have been getting compliments. UGH, I need Tony to come to my house and slap me.

So hop back on! No one's perfect, if you make a mistake just pick yourself up, go back a week or two and keep on trucking.

Finishing up week 1 of phase 2 tonight. I tried doing one handed pushups and practically fell down :lol :lol

I've been forcing myself to make it all the way through yoga.. which I commonly just dont have time to do all of.. and I notice big changes. Mainly in just how I feel. I usually have some back pain, wrist pain, or ankle pain but after doing yoga a few times I never feel any pain in my sore spots. So hooray to that!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Seems the flu does indeed weaken the body. I did my chest/shoulders/triceps workout today, and I still had a bit of flu symptoms yesterday. First time I not only wasn't able to increase weight, but in a few exercises I couldn't match last week. Considering the circumstances, I'm not worrying too much about it.

Just start going back to it. The program is most efficient if you stick with it somewhat, but it doesn't break it. Certainly you'll get better results if you try again than doing nothing, and it's not like anyone's going to know. Except the internets.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Interested in trying this out. Is there any way to do it without a chin up bar? I can't install one where I live.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
A week in with P90x. What sucks is because of my mysterious sternum(?) injury, I can't do pushups (I substitute with either frog-stands/planches or floor dumbbell presses), dips are kinda iffy, and can't do a couple ab exercises. It's nice to get back into the groove of a workout regimen, though, after not really exercising/working out since last November. Not really paying attention to the P90x diet though.

Oh and I skipped yoga. I don't have a yoga block yet, and just wasn't up to an hour and a half of crazy stretches. Substituted with some other exercise though.

grumble

demon said:
A week in with P90x. What sucks is because of my mysterious sternum(?) injury, I can't do pushups (I substitute with either frog-stands/planches or floor dumbbell presses), dips are kinda iffy, and can't do a couple ab exercises. It's nice to get back into the groove of a workout regimen, though, after not really exercising/working out since last November. Not really paying attention to the P90x diet though.

Could you explain a little more about this sternum injury? Pushups are a pretty integral part of the P90X plan, so if it's a solvable issue, it'd be good to work pushups back in. Did you get hit in the sternum?

demon

grumble said:
Could you explain a little more about this sternum injury? Pushups are a pretty integral part of the P90X plan, so if it's a solvable issue, it'd be good to work pushups back in. Did you get hit in the sternum?
page 63-64 (if you're on 100 posts per page) of this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328670

I don't know how much of a solvable issue it is, but I'm going to see a doctor (again) on friday about a possible CAT scan or whatever. Already got x-rays and the doctors couldn't see shit. But I just can't do pushups. I do one or two and then start to feel a really painful pressure build up right in my sternum, and I can't imagine what it'd be like to keep going.

bathala

Banned
Divvy said:
Interested in trying this out. Is there any way to do it without a chin up bar? I can't install one where I live.
u can use a band but u still gotta wrap it around a bar. make sure its sturdy

grumble

demon said:
page 63-64 (if you're on 100 posts per page) of this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328670

I don't know how much of a solvable issue it is, but I'm going to see a doctor (again) on friday about a possible CAT scan or whatever. Already got x-rays and the doctors couldn't see shit. But I just can't do pushups. I do one or two and then start to feel a really painful pressure build up right in my sternum, and I can't imagine what it'd be like to keep going.

Hmm, I browsed around for a bit. It's sometimes caused by organs swelling, due to things like heartburn, congestive heart failure, lung inflammation, something like that. It might not be directly related to the sternum. Try taking heartburn medication if you have heartburn.

Secondly, if you're on the younger end of the spectrum, then it might be due to some growing pains coming in. Even in late teens it can happen, and the only way to help it is to get good posture and wait for it to pass.

The most likely explanation however is that you tweaked a tendon at its attach point to your sternum. That's what's making any 'pop' or 'crunch' sounds you may be getting when you wiggle it. This could have been from a variety of things. If it's still bothering you after a few weeks, then you may either be continually aggravating the injury, or it might be something like a tear which would need some medical treatment.

To work on that, lay off all chest exercises, and work on some gentle stretching exercises. Ice it regularly to bring the swelling down, take advil. when the topic gets brought up medically, talk to your doctor about soft tissue tears and pulls and what they can do to help. Might even be surgery, but whatever it takes, right?

demon

grumble said:
Hmm, I browsed around for a bit. It's sometimes caused by organs swelling, due to things like heartburn, congestive heart failure, lung inflammation, something like that. It might not be directly related to the sternum. Try taking heartburn medication if you have heartburn.

Secondly, if you're on the younger end of the spectrum, then it might be due to some growing pains coming in. Even in late teens it can happen, and the only way to help it is to get good posture and wait for it to pass.

The most likely explanation however is that you tweaked a tendon at its attach point to your sternum. That's what's making any 'pop' or 'crunch' sounds you may be getting when you wiggle it. This could have been from a variety of things. If it's still bothering you after a few weeks, then you may either be continually aggravating the injury, or it might be something like a tear which would need some medical treatment.

To work on that, lay off all chest exercises, and work on some gentle stretching exercises. Ice it regularly to bring the swelling down, take advil. when the topic gets brought up medically, talk to your doctor about soft tissue tears and pulls and what they can do to help. Might even be surgery, but whatever it takes, right?
Thanks, I'll bring that up with my doctor. It's been more than a few weeks though....heh. Try months. (sigh)

unomas

Banned
Glad to see P90 GAF still going strong, can't wait to see some more before and after pics of those that followed the program all the way through.

Boonoo

Divvy said:
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

There are a couple ways to use the bands instead of a bar. Here's a video.
I haven't tried this, but it seems to work for him.

I'm starting up my 4th week of phase 1 (i'm adding an extra week since week three got shuffled). And things are going well. Still no pull up, but I'm getting closer. I think I finally got the hang of the modified method, so hopefully I'll see good results as I move forward.

I love ab ripper x--you can really feel the gains. I'm at 16 reps a move right now, and I'm adding a rep each time I do it; I may have to slow the additions soon, but for now it's working well.

Oh and I skipped yoga. I don't have a yoga block yet, and just wasn't up to an hour and a half of crazy stretches. Substituted with some other exercise though.

I would be sure to get a block and jump into yoga as soon as possible. The first half is goddamn hard, and I sweat like a madman, but the second is pretty fun. I can almost do crane! And I love doing wheel.

bathala

Banned
Divvy said:
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I wrap my band around my closet bar. I kneel down and pull.
I just broke my band recently :( (cheap Walmart band)

Boonoo said:

I would be sure to get a block and jump into yoga as soon as possible. The first half is goddamn hard, and I sweat like a madman, but the second is pretty fun. I can almost do crane! And I love doing wheel.
I might try that duck tape version.

goddam crane is hard. Did u do one toe at a time and finally got used to it?

Boonoo

bathala said:
goddam crane is hard. Did u do one toe at a time and finally got used to it?

Yeah, I've been doing the toe stuff Tony suggested. I can get up for a few seconds, maybe 5 at the longest. I almost broke my face trying it the other day. I think I need to hold off and stick to the toes a while longer.

teh_pwn

Divvy said:

By install, do you mean nailing/screwing the bar permanently to the wall? You can buy chin up bars that are temporarily mounted.

There's the p90x one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ARNRRK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And the Iron Gym:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ND04U4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You just need a door with the right width range, and make sure the door frame isn't rotten. You'll feel like you're going to fall the first time, but I don't even think about it. It's solid.

I love ab ripper x--you can really feel the gains. I'm at 16 reps a move right now, and I'm adding a rep each time I do it; I may have to slow the additions soon, but for now it's working well.

Same here. I think a lot of people see fast results here, because society is largely ignorant of core muscle exercises. Before this program, I was too. Basically all I knew were crunches, and that works out a very tiny portion of the abs, let alone the entirety of core muscles.

Yoga is crazy, but it's way more than just stretching. You'll sweat like crazy, especially the first few times, because it works muscles that you rarely use. It'll stress the cardiovascular system because it isn't used to pumping blood with one hand on the ground and the other skyward while standing on one leg. It's great stuff, and I'm going to try again as I think my knee is good again. I think what pushed it over the edge was that I was forcing myself to straigthen my legs when Tony said too, and that seemed to strain my weak knee stabilizer muscles.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Boonoo said:

Thanks, that helps a lot.

teh pwn said:
By install, do you mean nailing/screwing the bar permanently to the wall? You can buy chin up bars that are temporarily mounted.

There's the p90x one:
http://www.amazon.com/Beachbody-P90X...3976553&sr=1-3

And the Iron Gym:
http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upp...f=pd_sim_sg_82

You just need a door with the right width range, and make sure the door frame isn't rotten. You'll feel like you're going to fall the first time, but I don't even think about it. It's solid.

Well I'm living in a crappy apartment for school. The whole place feels like its going to fall apart so I don't want to push my luck.

demon

Yeah I'm sure yoga is a worthwhile exercise, I just didn't have a yoga block to use, and like I said I just really wasn't up for 90 minutes of crazy exercises that night.

Whatever, doing plyo right now! I'm movin and groovin...

LCfiner

so, the weight loss has caught up again. another 4 pounds in the last 10 days. so that’s almost 25 since the end of july. feels good, man.

also, working on the first month’s discs for the first time has made it obvious just how much I’ve improved in strength. granted, I’m still a long ways away from being “in good shape” but the progress is very noticeable.

as one example. static arm curls. 16 reps total from the shoulders and arms video. when I started, I was struggling (read: failing) to keep the left arm stationary with 15 pounds by the end of the set. I ended up dropping to 10 pounds (!) for the first couple weeks mainly cuz of the left arm.

well now I’m using my 20s for the static arm curls and it doesn’t seem too tough for my weak side at all.

I leveled up. :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm thinking of starting this up but just wanted to check what kind of equipment was needed. One piece in particular:

I saw earlier in the thread that chinups is one of the routines. I saw someone post a solution to not using a chinup bar in a doorframe using a resistance band/tube. Having never used one before I don't know what "level" to get. These are the ones I just quickly eyed and you can buy it in one of three levels.

I'm quite out of shape. I used to do a lot of cross country running, tennis and such but have been slacking of late. I'm 6'6" and around 190lbs if that is important (my height usually limits me with some things as I have a rather weak lower back as a result).

Last few weeks have been very busy, hence a lack of updates. Have had some trouble fitting the meal plans in around social events etc, and getting a bit bored of some of the routines, particularly Kenpo. On the plus side, still 5kg down on the start weight, and my running has gotten a lot quicker as a result of everything :)

Much later than promised, but here are some comparison shots. Left is week 1, right is week 6 (i think). Excuse the cheesy poses. Differences are definitely easier to see in the flesh, camera didnt really capture much change! :p Think my camera is close to giving up the ghost though, a lot of bleeding at edges in the original shots, and colour is a bit out of whack.

2nsm99v.png

23rpovc.jpg

2jdjtkh.png

OmniGamer

Meatpuppet said:

Very nice man, congrats! Your back and abs really show impressive progress.

You already-lean guys have it easy...you can see every new little fiber and striation as they come in, and every little drop of bodyfat as it melts away.

:(

Syph

Neo Member
OmniGamer said:

You already-lean guys have it easy...you can see every new little fiber and striation as they come in, and every little drop of bodyfat as it melts away.

But we gain muscle so much slower:(

OmniGamer

Syph said:
But we gain muscle so much slower:(

I'm sure no one in this thread is impressed with my "size"...I don't care of i could beat someone smaller in arm wrestling...being lean makes every muscle look, and especially feel, much better.

I'm taking my final pics on October 9th, and i'm already expecting to be disappointed...even after adding an extra Phase 3 week to make up for my disrupted week last week. The changes are there, but it's like an optical probe trying to peer through the clouds of Venus to see the defined features of the surface...it's all obscured.

OmniGamer said:

Cheers for the kind words, and on the already-lean thing, I know where you are coming from. I was ~120kg (~270lb) before college. Dropped something like 80lb over the first year through a combination of eating a spartan (money-influenced) diet, and a lot of cardio - rowing, running and rugby.

It's not really something you notice as you go along, as its just thinning things out for so long, which is definitely dispiriting. Stick with things, give or take, and eventually you get to the lean-ish stage. One good motivator is to meet up with friends who you've not seen for a year say, and see if they comment on your appearance. They tend to be the ones to notice losses the most as they've not been innured to it by the gradual alteration like your close friends/colleagues/partners.

OmniGamer said:
I'm sure no one in this thread is impressed with my "size"...I don't care of i could be someone smaller in arm wrestling...being lean makes every muscle look, and especially feel, much better.

I'm taking my final pics on October 9th, and i'm already expecting to be disappointed...even after adding an extra Phase 3 week to make up for my disrupted week last week. The changes are there, but it's like an optical probe trying to peer through the clouds of Venus to see the defined features of the surface...it's all obscured.

Bear in mind though that everyone is there own worst critic, especially when you're on a training regime/diet, as you are constantly checking for progress, making it fucking hard to tell even if there is any!

OmniGamer

Meatpuppet said:
Bear in mind though that everyone is there own worst critic, especially when you're on a training regime/diet, as you are constantly checking for progress, making it fucking hard to tell even if there is any!

Yeah, that's where my head is at. I know the logic, but the sheer hatred I have for my body just overrides that. I'm just so sick of always struggling to get where i want to be, getting just within spitting distance, and then failing. Trying out P90X was a last ditch effort for me, and now as i'm nearing the end of the initial 90 days, and seeing, what i'd consider, sobering results, i'm getting into that frustrated mindset again.

It's a double edged sword...I get obsessed, which kind of helps me focus, but also leads to frustration and mental burnout. I'm tired* of climbing an ever-growing mountain, i'd just like to get to where I want to be, and maintain from there. I know everyone's body is different...but damn...i just feel pre-defeated on a cellular level. Like maybe I have low testosterone or something.

*Omnigamer's note* By tired, i don't mean this 90 day period...it's been an ongoing, up and down story for 5 years now, from 279lbs in 2004, to a "skinny-fat" 199lbs, and several points in between.

grumble

OmniGamer said:
Yeah, that's where my head is at. I know the logic, but the sheer hatred I have for my body just overrides that. I'm just so sick of always struggling to get where i want to be, getting just within spitting distance, and then failing. Trying out P90X was a last ditch effort for me, and now as i'm nearing the end of the initial 90 days, and seeing, what i'd consider, sobering results, i'm getting into that frustrated mindset again.

It's a double edged sword...I get obsessed, which kind of helps me focus, but also leads to frustration and mental burnout. I'm tired* of climbing an ever-growing mountain, i'd just like to get to where I want to be, and maintain from there. I know everyone's body is different...but damn...i just feel pre-defeated on a cellular level. Like maybe I have low testosterone or something.

*Omnigamer's note* By tired, i don't mean this 90 day period...it's been an ongoing, up and down story for 5 years now, from 279lbs in 2004, to a "skinny-fat" 199lbs, and several points in between.

There are ways outside of P90X that will get you lean and muscular. In fact, P90X isn't a fantastic way to do that, unless cardio and bodyweight exercises are important to you. If you want serious muscle and to lose some fat, go with a traditional free-weight program like Starting Strength or StrongLifts, or with an Ian King program. You won't lose weight necessarily, but the massive extra muscle will replace fat and then you can do a cut and get ripped. You'll need a gym.

Also note that especially when starting P90X cold, the first thirty days are mostly neural adaptation and you won't see a lot of muscle growth. That begins to really come in the second half of the program. By continuing with P90X all the way through, and then doing a second round or moving on to something hardcore and different, you'll be able to get a lot more muscle building in.

It sounds like you are having problems with your diet, maybe. You could look into something like the Keto diet for quick losses, or something a little more permanent like just cutting out anything refined, like sugars or processed foods and tracking food with fitday.com (which is not that bad and gets kind of fun, like keeping score).

Lastly, you might have an issue with motivation. You might not be pushing as hard during the workouts as you could be, or maybe you are and it's not working with dramatic results like you want it to. If it's the second, then understand that it's a slow process and that we're all here to help out.

teh_pwn

One thing to keep in mind about P90X and weight loss is that not all body weight is from fat. Especially if you're like me, and cheated on the diet in phase 1. I did it to optimize strength gains so that I would have the capacity to do multiple sessions of cardio to finish off the fat loss.

During the first 2 months if you aren't that muscular, you're going to gain a lot of non-fat weight. You're going to add pounds of muscle and connective tissue. This is assuming that your cheat diet has more calories of fruits, veggies, rice, meat, whey, etc. A KFC bulk won't work. So you may see your weight increase, but your waist shrink. If you're packing a lot of pounds of fat, it's harder to see the improvements. Focus on the change in your waist size, and the improvements in strength and how you feel.

I'm finishing up phase 2 having focused on strength, and I'm satisfied with the strength gains for the time being to move on to a fat loss phase. I've gained 5 lbs since I started, but I've lost 1 inch on my waist, and my biceps/triceps are almost too big for some of my polos. I started curling 10 lbs, and now I lift 25, with 30s for rows/lawnmowers. (some of that is neurological recruitment, I was in shape a year ago prior to an injury).

OmniGamer

Thanks grumble and teh_pwn....as for the joining a gym thing though, unfortunately that's a pretty remote possibility for me due to my extreme social anxiety...home workouts are pretty much all I have. But i'm not trying to look like Flex Wheeler anyway, mass isn't my priority, if I can just define what I have i'd be satisfied.

I think i should take a couple of cheat pics this week, just for my own sanity

hitsugi

Been doing this for a while.. well, I've met the 90 days but it was so casual that I have a hard time even counting it. I lost 8 pounds, gained some muscle (most notably arms and shoulders) and I feel better.. but I think this time around I'm going to actually factor in the diet, vary weights more, and try to complete every exercise.

Not gonna lie, it's difficult for me to finish any of these dvds except for the Kenpo one =\

grumble

hitsugi said:
Been doing this for a while.. well, I've met the 90 days but it was so casual that I have a hard time even counting it. I lost 8 pounds, gained some muscle (most notably arms and shoulders) and I feel better.. but I think this time around I'm going to actually factor in the diet, vary weights more, and try to complete every exercise.

Not gonna lie, it's difficult for me to finish any of these dvds except for the Kenpo one =\

I think that Kenpo DVD is bullshit, and the weakest part of the program. It's just not that intense. It's much better in my opinion to do Cardio X instead, which is a little more intense and varied than Kenpo while still incorporating some of its ideas.

grumble said:
I think that Kenpo DVD is bullshit, and the weakest part of the program. It's just not that intense. It's much better in my opinion to do Cardio X instead, which is a little more intense and varied than Kenpo while still incorporating some of its ideas.

I think with the Kenpo you get out what you put in. If you throw your punches and kicks with real venom it's a pretty good workout butif you pussyfoot about it's pointless doing it.

RyoHazuki

I haven't read through this whole thread but I'm considering trying this out. I'm very skinny, 6'0, 165 lbs and I want to get bigger rather than lose weight. My goal is to get up to 175-180 lbs. Would P90X be better than getting a gym membership? If I do go to the gym I'm planning on mainly doing squats, deadlifts, benchpress, and pullups. My main worry about going to the gym is that I haven't been to the gym in about a 1.5 years and I dont want to hurt myself trying to deadlift or squat after not doing them in so long.

How much cooking ability is needed to make the meals? I can't make anything much more difficult than scrambled eggs. And about how much money will i be looking at to buy the pullup bar, dumbbells and whatever else is needed?

nubbe

J Tourettes said:
I think with the Kenpo you get out what you put in. If you throw your punches and kicks with real venom it's a pretty good workout butif you pussyfoot about it's pointless doing it.
Pretty much.
You need to bring it bitch

I like KempoX, it is relaxing and yet intense.
It's just so much fun to throw punches and kicks.

teh_pwn

RyoHazuki said:
I haven't read through this whole thread but I'm considering trying this out. I'm very skinny, 6'0, 165 lbs and I want to get bigger rather than lose weight. My goal is to get up to 175-180 lbs. Would P90X be better than getting a gym membership? If I do go to the gym I'm planning on mainly doing squats, deadlifts, benchpress, and pullups. My main worry about going to the gym is that I haven't been to the gym in about a 1.5 years and I dont want to hurt myself trying to deadlift or squat after not doing them in so long.

How much cooking ability is needed to make the meals? I can't make anything much more difficult than scrambled eggs. And about how much money will i be looking at to buy the pullup bar, dumbbells and whatever else is needed?

Comparing p90x to a gym is kind of relative. For me, p90x has huge advantages over a gym:

1. No commuting.
2. No waiting for someone else.
3. No spotting.
4. Open 24 hours and traffic patterns are irrelevant, so I don't have to schedule my day around it.

But, with that said after 2-3 rounds of p90x, I'm probably going to go to a gym every once in a while.

Bulking on p90x is very doable. You just need to make sure you have plenty of tiered up weights, and that you push yourself very hard to get a weight 6-10 reps, and that you immediately go to something like phase 2-3 diet. Phase 1 is designed for fat loss. You'll want to pause the DVDs allowing yourself to complete your sets. Hell, at the end of phase 2 I still do it.

For advanced weight training, you're going to need a gym. But at your current weight, you could use this as a good way to start.

You don't have to cook. I think the diet has a portion plan for people that don't want to cook their meals.

Stuff I'll eat:
1. Chicken breast sandwich with onion, tomato, condiment.
2. Whey protein.
3. Recovery drink during heavy weight lifting workings: 100 calories of cane sugar and 1 scoop of whey protein.
4. Recovery drink after workouts: Vanilla yogurt, frozen mixed berries, whey protein, a little water.
5. Rice, canned refried beans.
6. Cottage cheese.
7. Mixed nuts.
etc.

I never really seriously read their nutrition plan. I saw that their food selection was already similar to mine, so I went from there.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I just... did my first p90x workout.

Before I get into that, let me tell you about how I decided to do it. Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted in the get fit thread, and someone suggested I look into P90x. Anyway, last night I met up with some work buddies who all went out and got the DVD's and equipment a few weeks back - one of the guys was pussying out, and told me I could borrow his crap - he even made a bet (loser picks up bar tab) that I wouldn't last as long as he did (3 weeks). Anyway, I thought I could do it absolutely no problem, and I finished my first day about 30 minutes ago.

Holy fuck. Ho-Lee-Fak. A minute ago I tried to get up, and I almost felt like throwing up. My whole body was even shaking for a minute or two a little while ago. My hips hurt, and I don't even know why. Lifting my arms to the keyboard took so much effort I feel ashamed. How the fuck am I supposed to do this for 3 weeks? I read in this thread people keep saying it gets easier - but I have no idea how I am supposed to get better at this. I couldn't even DO all the exercises properly, halfway through I had to start doing girl-pushups, in the last 10minutes I was lucky if I could do 5 of anything. And don't even get me started on this AbRipper crap, I was about to give myself a hernia.

I am definitely going to keep this up for 3 weeks, as I am a poor/cheap bastard and I refuse to pick up a bar tab, so really this is me just bitching. But goddamn.... goddamn.

LCfiner

Kinitari said:

Before I get into that, let me tell you about how I decided to do it. Yesterday (or was it the day before?) I posted in the get fit thread, and someone suggested I look into P90x. Anyway, last night I met up with some work buddies who all went out and got the DVD's and equipment a few weeks back - one of the guys was pussying out, and told me I could borrow his crap - he even made a bet (loser picks up bar tab) that I wouldn't last as long as he did (3 weeks). Anyway, I thought I could do it absolutely no problem, and I finished my first day about 30 minutes ago.

Holy fuck. Ho-Lee-Fak. A minute ago I tried to get up, and I almost felt like throwing up. My whole body was even shaking for a minute or two a little while ago. My hips hurt, and I don't even know why. Lifting my arms to the keyboard took so much effort I feel ashamed. How the fuck am I supposed to do this for 3 weeks? I read in this thread people keep saying it gets easier - but I have no idea how I am supposed to get better at this. I couldn't even DO all the exercises properly, halfway through I had to start doing girl-pushups, in the last 10minutes I was lucky if I could do 5 of anything. And don't even get me started on this AbRipper crap, I was about to give myself a hernia.

I am definitely going to keep this up for 3 weeks, as I am a poor/cheap bastard and I refuse to pick up a bar tab, so really this is me just bitching. But goddamn.... goddamn.

I'm almost surely in worse shape than you or most other people in this thread and I've been rocking P90x for 60 days and ready to go into the final stretch. and i see no problem starting it over again in the winter

the key is to pace yourself early on. can't do full pushups? go to your knees to start. there's a lot of friggin push-ups, you're still gonna get results.

can't do decline pushups? try more standard push ups.

can't do chin ups? use the resistance bands.

modify, modify, modify.

in time you will be able to move to full chin ups or to the funky push up styles like dive bombers

and I was super sore for several days after each workout that first week but, I swear, by week 2 (not week 4 or 5) the next day soreness was within normal workout levels and I wasn't some invalid after the workouts anymore. :lol it's pretty impressive how quickly the body can adapt.

Kinitari said:

Haha, and you haven't even done plyos, you haven't witnessed the Warrior 3, wall squats, corn cob pullups...

I hate them, but I LOVE them :D

grumble

Kinitari said:

Hahahaha, yeah the first few days are rough. Wait until Plyo, it'll beat you senseless.

Your hips hurt because you used your hip flexors a lot during the ab exercises. Not a great idea, as with most people the hip flexors are tight and you get bad posture unless you work the abs a fair bit first. Next time, try to focus on your abs and keeping your lower back flat against the floor.

It really does get easier. You'll experience DOMS the first time where everything will hurt for a few days. After the first week, this crippling pain doesn't happen nearly so much as your body adapts. Stretching a lot helps too.

The guy who quit after three weeks is a pussy. A lot of people do this, which is why a lot of people aren't fit. Keep it up for the full 90 days, and by that point you'll be in the groove and can do another 500 if you feel like it no problem.

Kinitari said:

Seriously I felt the same way and im not gonna lie to ya, each day of the first week you will be sore in a new part of your body ultimatly leading to everything being sore. BUT starting the second week you will feel much better, not perfect but much better than the first week. Just try your best and forget the rest!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thanks for the encouraging words.

Nubbe - the stretching I did BEFORE the first workout had me breathing heavy, talk about foreshadowing.

LCfiner -

Yeah, I read this thread (not the entire thing mind you) before I started and modify seemed to be a key theme. I saw right away that chinups weren't going to be a good idea, as i could only do like... 3. Luckily my girlfriend had some girly resistance bands for me to use. Next time I am probably going to start with the girl pushups, halfway through I was already too tired.

Quick question though, I am doing the 'normal' regiment, and I assume that is the best for my body type and my goal (Currently 145lb at 6 foot, looking to gain a bit of bulk, but nothing too extreme, some weight would be nice, 160 at least) - I need to consume a lot of calories I am assuming. This morning I went to the grocery store and bought a lot of fruit, and I am actually about to dive into a Mango - my question is... are there any modifications/special diets I should be following for my particular body type and goal? I feel like I should be eating a LOT more than I already do, but I don't know if I am going to get enough calories from fruits and nuts and fish, but I know carbs are a biiig nono ( =( pasta). Any advice?

grumble said:
Your hips hurt because you used your hip flexors a lot during the ab exercises. Not a great idea, as with most people the hip flexors are tight and you get bad posture unless you work the abs a fair bit first. Next time, try to focus on your abs and keeping your lower back flat against the floor.

Thanks for the warning, it's a little bit nerve wracking doing these exercises, I know how important it is to have the right form - the last time I worked out at all I had a Kineseology student friend of mine help me keep my form right, now I just gotta make sure to do it right by myself.

Top Bottom