• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Magnus

Is a program like this worthless without protein/nutrient-drinks/supplements afterward?

I eat pretty healthy as is, and couldn't begin to be bothered counting calories and shit.

Am I just shooting myself in the foot if I begin a high intensity program like this again without a direct form of support after I'm finished each day, like the suggested recovery drink?

I really want to make this count when I restart it again later this week.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Well you could substitute a recovery drink for a balanced whole meal, but that would take a bit longer to digest than the drink, but hey, meals after workouts existed before recovery drinks, so as long as you're eating right, this should suffice.

I'm not sure how much the calorie counting matters, but I know more than 50% of your results are attributed to your nutrition. So in general, just make sure to eat right (low fat, add veggies to your diet if you already don't eat them), keep protein intake up high, and at least adhere to the carbohydrate plan (phase 1 is low carb, phase 2 is more carbs, and phase 3 is even more carbs)

Magnus said:
Is a program like this worthless without protein/nutrient-drinks/supplements afterward?

I eat pretty healthy as is, and couldn't begin to be bothered counting calories and shit.

Am I just shooting myself in the foot if I begin a high intensity program like this again without a direct form of support after I'm finished each day, like the suggested recovery drink?

Supplements should only be used if you're not reaching your intake. I have to consume around 190g of protein per day for muscle development, which is hard to do with pure food. I use the supplements to reach that goal.

I've got a question for those of you using the LiveStrong.com calorie counter. I've got my daily calorie intake goal set to 2400, and I'm currently within 425 of reaching that goal. But when I enter my Yoga into the fitness section, it takes the appropriate amount of calories away, so that I end up 1000 calories away from my goal.

I might be asking a stupid question, but I should be eating 2400 calories (I'm level 2, btw) period, right? aka I don't have to factor in my daily workout?

I was wondering the same thing when I was using livestrong. Try asking the guys in the fitness thread for some advice on this as I don't want to give wrong information.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Masta_Killah said:
I was wondering the same thing when I was using livestrong. Try asking the guys in the fitness thread for some advice on this as I don't want to give wrong information.
I just reread the P90X Nutrition Guide, and the calories burned during the workout are already included in your Nutrition Level calculations

for me:
Resting metabolic rate = 185.8 (body weight) x 10 = 1858 calories
Daily activity burn = 20% of 1858 = 371.6
Energy amount = 371.6 + 1858 + 600 (calories burned in workout) = 2829.6 calories

So this places me at Nutrition Level 2.

But I thought up another question in the midst of my reading (and still have yet to find the answer to). Do we count the post-workout recovery drink towards the 2400 calorie goal? I know we count random recovery drink snacks or protein shakes on the side, but I don't know about recovery drinks immediately post-workout.

I should hit up the fitness thread :D

f-castrillo said:
I just reread the P90X Nutrition Guide, and the calories burned during the workout are already included in your Nutrition Level calculations

for me:
Resting metabolic rate = 185.8 (body weight) x 10 = 1858 calories
Daily activity burn = 20% of 1858 = 371.6
Energy amount = 371.6 + 1858 + 600 (calories burned in workout) = 2829.6 calories

So this places me at Nutrition Level 2.

But I thought up another question in the midst of my reading (and still have yet to find the answer to). Do we count the post-workout recovery drink towards the 2400 calorie goal? I know we count random recovery drink snacks or protein shakes on the side, but I don't know about recovery drinks immediately post-workout.

I should hit up the fitness thread :D

I would definitely include the recovery drink in your calorie total.

Also, I don't know if you're trying to lose weight, but if you are you need to make sure you are operating on a calorie deficit. In your case, you would need about 2,300 calories a day. If weight loss isn't your goal, 2,800 calories should be good for you.

yonder

Magnus said:

You can use chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Several studies have shown it to be at least as effective as normal recovery drinks (although I'm too lazy to find any links for you, just google around). Additionally, you might need a protein shake during the first two months since they emphasize a high protein/low carb intake, but other than that you should be fine. You need to pay attention to when, what and how much you eat if you want the best results, though, so I don't think eating "pretty healthy" will be enough.

On a side note, I managed to pull off all of the poses in the final vinyasa section today during yoga which is a first for me! :D My form was far from perfect, but a few weeks ago I just skipped them entirely; I didn't think I'd ever be able to do that.

yonder

crazy monkey said:
I want to get in to this. Hope i stay on the course. from what i read here it works ,right?
If you eat right and work hard you'll absolutely see some great results. It's nothing new or revolutionary, just hard work and proper nutrition, so of course it works. That being said, it is not easy and your results will depend on your ability to push yourself and eat properly. It is definitely worth it, though, and you'll feel great for doing it. Good luck! :D

f-castrillo

Neo Member
ArachosiA 78 said:
I would definitely include the recovery drink in your calorie total.

Also, I don't know if you're trying to lose weight, but if you are you need to make sure you are operating on a calorie deficit. In your case, you would need about 2,300 calories a day. If weight loss isn't your goal, 2,800 calories should be good for you.
2400 calories is already a deficit for me, as my being alive, my daily activities, and the X workouts require that I eat 2800 calories worth of food a day in order to maintain. On my first day of actual calorie counting, I came within 45 calories of 2400, so I'm pretty happy that my eating habits bring me more or less to my goal :D

But I wonder if I should modify my calorie goals on my Doubles days, as my morning Cardio X takes close to 500 calories from me. Maybe I'll up it by 200 calories or so on Cardio X days, but no more than that.

EDIT: So I did some speed reading in the nutrition guide and the Beachbody forums, and I've deicded to up my calorie goal to 2500 a day. I don't bonk/give up during workouts on the 2400 calorie plan, but I do get hungry a few hours before bedtime. I think adding an extra 100 calories for now may help curb the hunger, give me a tiny bit more energy in the workouts, and not adversely affect my calorie deficit much. Only when/if I bonk will I bump it up to 2600 calories. That, or I'll probably have to re-evaluate my calorie intake when it comes to phase 3, when the Doubles schedule gets even worse :lol

Yonn said:
If you eat right and work hard you'll absolutely see some great results. It's nothing new or revolutionary, just hard work and proper nutrition, so of course it works. That being said, it is not easy and your results will depend on your ability to push yourself and eat properly. It is definitely worth it, though, and you'll feel great for doing it. Good luck! :D

thanks. encouraging :D

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Yonn said:
140.85, you can definitely gain some muscle with P90X, but you might wanna up the calories a bit and keep the protein high. Check the fitness thread for more info. And instead of a pull-up bar you can attach bands to a door to work the muscles in almost the same way – they show you how to do all of the exercises with bands in the videos.

Cool, thanks man. :D

nubbe

Being sick while doing a program sucks. It feels like all the hard work is wasted.

I think I shall do two more weeks of phase two to recuperate.
But I don't mind since I love the bicep workout.

I know this is P90x but figured I wouldn't start another thread. I just started the Insanity workout. Anyone else do this? I did the fit test and it pretty much kicked my ass. I'm sore today but feel good though.

fatty

So I did Day 3 yesterday (shoulders and arms) and it wasn't too bad, similar to my other weight routines but then came my first attempt at Ab Ripper. I think Dacvak summed up my thoughts exactly:

Dacvak said:
I just tried Ab Ripper for the first time.

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH. I could barely make it to the halfway point of the video.

339 exercises and I maybe, maybe did a 1/3 of them. They would do 30 seconds and I would be lucky to get 10 seconds in, balance alone was hard enough. What's worse is that I woke up this morning with a kink in my side (not sure if it's from the Ab Ripper routine or just sleeping awkwardly) but half of the day is over and I'm still feeling that stupid kink. Rest of the body is fine but this will definitely affect my first attempt at Yoga tonight. I'm going to try and get some rest and hopefully my side will heal a little better.

lachesis

fatty said:
So I did Day 3 yesterday (shoulders and arms) and it wasn't too bad, similar to my other weight routines but then came my first attempt at Ab Ripper. I think Dacvak summed up my thoughts exactly:

339 exercises and I maybe, maybe did a 1/3 of them. They would do 30 seconds and I would be lucky to get 10 seconds in, balance alone was hard enough. What's worse is that I woke up this morning with a kink in my side (not sure if it's from the Ab Ripper routine or just sleeping awkwardly) but half of the day is over and I'm still feeling that stupid kink. Rest of the body is fine but this will definitely affect my first attempt at Yoga tonight. I'm going to try and get some rest and hopefully my side will heal a little better.

Well, I was just like you for my first ab ripper. I think I did about 25% of the whole ab ripper when I first started... I think I can now do about 50-60% though. (could be less than that). I guarantee that if you struggle through the Yoga today, you'll feel much much better. It's like 1 and half hours long and I also dread it sometimes... but it's worth it. Do what you can in that session - don't push yourself too far. Yoga X is like balancing/strengthening/endurance/stretching all combined into this whole workout. It's pretty tough, especially first 45 min and yoga belly 7... but it does relieve your body from all the pain etc.

-----------------------

Talking about Yoga X.. I think I'm again running out of gas on my 3rd week of phase II. Tonight's my Yoga night, but when I'm low on energy - it's even tougher than usual.

As per the weight - it seems like 174 is my current weight and it's been staying that way for a while now. I was at 185-7lb in the beginning, so that's about 11-13lb's less for several weeks. I was hoping to get down to 165, but I'm not in any particular hurry... as this routine has embedded into my daily life now. Sometimes I want to slack off - but I've been doing it regularly without any skipping, not even a day. My waist size is about 1-2 inches down... which means I'd be able to get into my one and only "suit" which was tailored when I got married 8 yrs ago... LOL. I'll try that suit on this weekend and see where I stand. I was barely able to fit into that suit last year, and had to take off the pants button when I sat down in order to breathe. ;) But really.. I should get a new suit to begin with. It's quite out of style, I'd say.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
lachesis said:
Well, I was just like you for my first ab ripper. I think I did about 25% of the whole ab ripper when I first started... I think I can now do about 50-60% though. (could be less than that). I guarantee that if you struggle through the Yoga today, you'll feel much much better. It's like 1 and half hours long and I also dread it sometimes... but it's worth it. Do what you can in that session - don't push yourself too far. Yoga X is like balancing/strengthening/endurance/stretching all combined into this whole workout. It's pretty tough, especially first 45 min and yoga belly 7... but it does relieve your body from all the pain etc.

-----------------------

Talking about Yoga X.. I think I'm again running out of gas on my 3rd week of phase II. Tonight's my Yoga night, but when I'm low on energy - it's even tougher than usual.

As per the weight - it seems like 174 is my current weight and it's been staying that way for a while now. I was at 185-7lb in the beginning, so that's about 11-13lb's less for several weeks. I was hoping to get down to 165, but I'm not in any particular hurry... as this routine has embedded into my daily life now. Sometimes I want to slack off - but I've been doing it regularly without any skipping, not even a day. My waist size is about 1-2 inches down... which means I'd be able to get into my one and only "suit" which was tailored when I got married 8 yrs ago... LOL. I'll try that suit on this weekend and see where I stand. I was barely able to fit into that suit last year, and had to take off the pants button when I sat down in order to breathe. ;) But really.. I should get a new suit to begin with. It's quite out of style, I'd say.
Maybe you should try upping your calorie intake by 200-300 or so of you find yourself lower in energy? I can feel Yoga X gradually becoming easier for me, the warrior poses no longer murder my thighs as much, and vinyasas are second nature to me now. That thing where you reach behind your back and under the thighs still kills me though :lol. But I'm also happy to say that I can stretch much further in all aspects now. I'm now a believer, Yoga is good for you :D

So, I'm assuming anyone on this program is eating a crapload of chicken breasts. Does anyone have any tasty ways of preparing their chicken? I need some ideas.

ocadman

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I know this is P90x but figured I wouldn't start another thread. I just started the Insanity workout. Anyone else do this? I did the fit test and it pretty much kicked my ass. I'm sore today but feel good though.

If you just started it, that's not a big deal. Like any workout, it's only tough at first, but then it gets a lot easier. I did it for a few weeks before I sprained my ankle, but never got back into it. The name is appropriate.

ArachosiA 78 said:
So, I'm assuming anyone on this program is eating a crapload of chicken breasts. Does anyone have any tasty ways of preparing their chicken? I need some ideas.

If you're in the US, go to Costco and see if they have the Tyson Fully Cooked Teriyaki Chicken. It's pretty damn good for what it is, cheap, and yea.

EDIT: my spelling sucks.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I did Ab Ripper X yesterday and felt I did noticeably better at it than I usually do. Probably around 75%. Does anyone else have trouble doing some of the exercises without anchoring their feet under something, though? Like during the wide-leg situps?

And is it just me or is that Audra chick criminally hot?

koam

slasher_thrasher21 said:

I might try it after p90xplus but i hate cardio.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. I've kind of adjusted to p90x now and find it pretty easy (still struggling with fifer and heals to the heavens). I have a recovery week coming soon and then i dive into doubles. It's going to be interesting to see if I could keep up.

ocadman said:
If you just started it, that's not a big deal. Like any workout, it's only tough at first, but then it gets a lot easier. I did it for a few weeks before I sprained my ankle, but never got back into it. The name is appropriate.

If you're in the US, go to Costco and see if they have the Tyson Fully Cooked Teriyaki Chicken. It's pretty damn good for what it is, cheap, and yea.

Another good one is whole roasted chicken. Costco sells them, as well as the regular supermarkets.

As for chicken prep, use your imagination. For starters, you can try marinating it in lemon and/or garlic. Go to the market and check out the spice racks. Get some and experiment with the flavors. Cumin, Curry, BBQ sauce, etc.. The great thing about chicken is that most seasonings go well with it.

Costco is my 2nd favorite retailer right after Amazon. I get all my chicken from there, but as delicious as the Teriyaki chicken looks, it's pretty high in sugar...and I am avoiding sugar at all costs. It's part of what makes finding good chicken recipies so challenging. Your options are pretty limited when you can't eat any refined sugar, simple carbs, or unhealthy fats. Thanks for the suggestion though. When I hit my target bodyfat% and move into maintenence, I think I will try those. They do look mighty tasty,

nataku said:
Where is the cheapest place to get P90x? Is $139 as low as I'll find it?

Call up beachbody and talk to them about p90x. Then tell them that the price seems a bit too high and you'll look somewhere else. They'll either offer you a lower price immediately, or they'll call you back and give you a lower price. Basically play hard to get. They should be able to lower it to maybe $100-120.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
demon said:
I did Ab Ripper X yesterday and felt I did noticeably better at it than I usually do. Probably around 75%. Does anyone else have trouble doing some of the exercises without anchoring their feet under something, though? Like during the wide-leg situps?

And is it just me or is that Audra chick criminally hot?
Audra is what gets me through Ab Ripper X :D . Adam too, but only because he looks like Predator :lol

So I'm pretty good with using Livestrong.com to track my calories (and it also tracks protein intake throughout the course of the day). Some things I've picked up in my reading tonight...

1. A really nice general guideline to shoot for is 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat, as far as your overall caloric intake goes. I'm hovering really close to 30% for today, but my dinner was at some Vietnamese restaurant that isn't listed on Livestrong.com, so all I know is that I had a ton of sliced pork, aka lots of protein :D

2. Studies show that adults need 0.8g of protein per kg of body weight. Athletes (or people wanting to get fit) can go for 1.2-1.6g protein/kg of body weight. To convert your weight to kg, take your weight in lbs and divide by 2.2. For me, that's 186 / 2.2 = 84.5kg. Then take your weight in kg and multiply by 1.2 (for your recommended minimum protein intake) or 1.6 (for your max). I should be getting 101-135g of protein, which I am

3. While trying to meet your protein intake goals, make sure they're spaced somewhat evenly throughout the day. In other words, don't eat protein-deficient foods the whole day, and then have a huge steak for dinner to compensate.

4. I'm not sure how many of us here in this thread are trying to do massive bulking vs. lose body fat, but if you've met your protein intake goals for the day, and you've spaced them out pretty evenly, you shouldn't have to go for a protein shake before bed. Unless you worked out 2 hours before bed (in which case you'd have a recovery drink immediately after), try to abstain from a protein shake unless it'll help you meet your protein goals. While the protein helps a little with recovery in your sleep, where do you think the carbs go while you laid in bed for 7-9 hours?

5. Protein shake before bed or not, your body is deprived of protein, carbs, etc. when you wake up. Make sure to eat a balanced whole breakfast to jump start your metabolism and take your body out of starvation mode :D

Hopefully this will be helpful to some of us here, maybe some of these points are enlightening to somebody. P90X has turned me into a health freak, can you tell? :lol and please don't ask me for the links/sources unless it's necessary, I already closed out the tabs from the Beachbody.com forums over half an hour ago :lol

ocadman

ArachosiA 78 said:
Costco is my 2nd favorite retailer right after Amazon. I get all my chicken from there, but as delicious as the Teriyaki chicken looks, it's pretty high in sugar...and I am avoiding sugar at all costs. It's part of what makes finding good chicken recipies so challenging. Your options are pretty limited when you can't eat any refined sugar, simple carbs, or unhealthy fats. Thanks for the suggestion though. When I hit my target bodyfat% and move into maintenence, I think I will try those. They do look mighty tasty,

What do you consider high in sugar? It has 4g per serving, which is about 2 pieces I think.

koam said:
I might try it after p90xplus but i hate cardio.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. I've kind of adjusted to p90x now and find it pretty easy (still struggling with fifer and heals to the heavens). I have a recovery week coming soon and then i dive into doubles. It's going to be interesting to see if I could keep up.

Yeah I enjoy cardio so its not so bad but I did day two yesterday and I thought the fit test was hard. No the actually work outs are even HARDER! My body is hurting. I just picked up some lean protien mix for after my workouts. I think I will need it. Probably look into getting a multi vitamin too.

nomster

Down 7 pounds in week one. Guessing it mostly cutting out the carbs to one serving a day, I was a pretty heavy snacker. Hope it keeps up, got another 35 to go.

ocadman

ryutaro's mama said:
Audra is hot.

My fav is Sophia, on Legs & Back.

Gorgeous.

Just did Yoga last night and really didn't pay attention until this thread, but yes, she's quite fetching. Maybe now it'll be easier to tackle Ab Ripper.

grumble

nomster said:
Down 7 pounds in week one. Guessing it mostly cutting out the carbs to one serving a day, I was a pretty heavy snacker. Hope it keeps up, got another 35 to go.

The first week's always the fastest, so don't expect 42 pounds in 90 days, but you'll lose some weight. Once you're done, just do it again!

nomster

grumble said:
The first week's always the fastest, so don't expect 42 pounds in 90 days, but you'll lose some weight. Once you're done, just do it again!
Definitely not expecting it. I have always exercised regularly, just had terrible eating habits. My goal for this round is a more manageable 15, the 42 is overall. Just hope I don't give in to the chips.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
I'm trying not to be discouraged at the fact that my weight has gone up again (186.4 Tuesday, to 187 this morning). I still look at the scale every day, but I also try not to take the daily weigh-ins too seriously (I only record my Sunday AM weight). Maybe I was a bit high on the sodium and sugar side yesterday, or my sore muscles are retaining some of the water to aid in the recovery process.

Still, I can't help but feel a tiny bit discouraged, as my weight is only down 4.5 pounds from day one. But on the upside, I do see myself visually slimming down (belly has shrunken, muscles everywhere have become more visible), and at least my body fat percentage is on a downward slope (started at 27.5, currently at 25.4). Granted, I'm still in the middle of phase 2, but I wish those numbers would drop faster. I need to get the scale-based mentality out of my head.

I guess if my body fat % is on its way down, that's something to be happy about. I wonder if I can hit 20% at least by the end of phase 3.

and Audra takes the cake over all the other P90X girls :D with Katie (Back & Biceps), Dreya, and Sophia as runner ups

Why weigh yourself everyday, when weight fluctuates constantly?

And why does it matter what your weight is, if you're seeing results in the mirror? Not to mention the fact that muscle weighs more than fat anyway.

Edit* By the way, how tall are you? 20% B/F at 185ish seems somewhat off imo especially if you're seeing muscle definition.

LCfiner

don't get caught up with weight.

my weight has only dropped around 7-8 pounds since December (compared to a big 25 pound drop from august to November) but when i compare pics and actually fit into my clothes, it's a huge change since then.

just weigh yourself once a week to see trends over a long period of time. but focusing on your effort during the workout and your diet is the way to go. results are pretty much guaranteed.

fatty

lachesis said:

I was only able to make it through about half of the yoga (flame) x routine, still too much pain from the kink in my back, that and I'm a wimp. I'm taking a break today and hoping my back heals better and maybe tomorrow I'll get some kenpo in. Really discouraging because I want to get some exercise in yet I don't want to push it and make it worse (which I didn't do myself any favors when doing yoga the other night).

fatty said:
I was only able to make it through about half of the yoga (flame) x routine, still too much pain from the kink in my back, that and I'm a wimp. I'm taking a break today and hoping my back heals better and maybe tomorrow I'll get some kenpo in. Really discouraging because I want to get some exercise in yet I don't want to push it and make it worse (which I didn't do myself any favors when doing yoga the other night).

Instead of taking a break, try adding stretch x for the day.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Luscious LeftFoot said:
Why weigh yourself everyday, when weight fluctuates constantly?

And why does it matter what your weight is, if you're seeing results in the mirror? Not to mention the fact that muscle weighs more than fat anyway.

Edit* By the way, how tall are you? 20% B/F at 185ish seems somewhat off imo especially if you're seeing muscle definition.
I'm 5"8. Most of my fat is around my belly :( my arms and legs are not as flabby, and all the flab in general seems to be disappearing slowly but gradually.

Also, I weight daily so I can get a body fat reading. Body fat doesn't fluctuate as wildly as body weight does, because water can't be stored in fat. But I can't do either or, so in order to see the body fat reading, I also have to see my weight. It affects my mentality a little, whether I try to ignore it or not.

LCfiner said:
don't get caught up with weight.

my weight has only dropped around 7-8 pounds since December (compared to a big 25 pound drop from august to November) but when i compare pics and actually fit into my clothes, it's a huge change since then.

just weigh yourself once a week to see trends over a long period of time. but focusing on your effort during the workout and your diet is the way to go. results are pretty much guaranteed.
Those last few sentences are encouraging. I'll continue doing my part and continue bringing it in the workouts and sticking as close to the eating plan as I can, thanks:D

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I am ON-BOARD BOYS! :lol

Just started today and the scheduled workout was KENPO X, the workout was fairly easy and fun to do but embarrassingly enough I had BIG trouble in the warm-up with the stretching exercises LOL.. Had my legs shaking like hell and I couldn't completely hold the warm-up positions for the full durations, My balance was shot lol.

Anyway time to take care of fucking business I am ready to bring it (I was sweating like an ANIMAL through Kenpo X and only stopped once at the 30 min mark for a 1 min break and water/towel lol)

5'8" 160 pounds, lean but undefined body going for muscle mass and semi ripped definition by the time I am done with this whole program.

(I only have a soft belly atm and it's not that big at all, only noticeable when I squat w/o a shirt and maybe after I eat a huge meal)

If I don't have any official "post workout recovery drink" what is the best thing you guys would recommend after the workouts that can be acquired at a supermarket or w/e?

To let you guys know I never ever go over the 160 pound mark no matter what I eat lol, my meta is pretty high it's just that I have been slacking on my standard workouts since December and I want to get in to superb shape for the summer.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Slayer-33 said:

Just started today and the scheduled workout was KENPO X, the workout was fairly easy and fun to do but embarrassingly enough I had BIG trouble in the warm-up with this stretching exercises LOL.. Had my legs shaking like hell and I couldn't completely hold the warm-up positions for the full durations, My balance was shot lol.

Anyway time to take care of fucking business I am ready to bring it (I was sweating like an ANIMAL through Kenpo X and only stopped once at the 30 min mark for a 1 min break and water/towel lol)

5'8" 160 pounds, lean but undefined body going for muscle mass and semi ripped definition by the time I am done with this whole program.

(I only have a soft belly atm and it's not that big at all, only noticeable when I squat w/o a shirt and maybe after I eat a huge meal)

If I don't have any official "post workout recovery drink" what is the best thing you guys would recommend after the workouts that can be acquired at a supermarket or w/e?

To let you guys know I never ever go over the 160 pound mark no matter what I eat lol, my meta is pretty high it's just that I have been slacking on my standard workouts since December and I want to get in to superb shape for the summer.
1. First off, the first day should be Chest & Back. Kenpo X is supposed to be day 6 ;) Start Chest & Back another day (maybe two days from now) and go in order from there.

2. If you want a decent recovery drink, go to you local Vitamin World or GNC if you wanna shop local and pick up a jug of Endurox R4. Otherwise, a good whole balanced meal will do post-workout, although it will reach your tired muscles much slower than the recovery drink would.

3. Welcome to the club :D

ocadman

f-castrillo said:
2. If you want a decent recovery drink, go to you local Vitamin World or GNC if you wanna shop local and pick up a jug of Endurox R4. Otherwise, a good whole balanced meal will do post-workout, although it will reach your tired muscles much slower than the recovery drink would.

How does that Endurox taste?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
f-castrillo said:
1. First off, the first day should be Chest & Back. Kenpo X is supposed to be day 6 ;) Start Chest & Back another day (maybe two days from now) and go in order from there.

3. Welcome to the club :D

Cool will do... After reading a bit through here and seeing the protein goals I need I will have to invest in so fucking protein bars or some crazy shit lol and will look into the recovery drinks :lol

OmniGamer

ocadman said:

Tastes good, IMO, though I will admit that the P90X drink tastes better...however i haven't done a 1:1 comparison because the P90X drink is orange flavored, and the Endurox i'm trying now is Fruit Punch. P90X's has that "smooth" consistency that gives it more of a "shake" like taste as opposed to just straight up flavored water.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
ocadman said:
It tastes great IMO. I started off with the Fruit Punch flavor from the local Vitamin World. When I started running low, I ordered a 5lb jug off of Amazon (it's the same price for the 5lb online as it is for the 2lb in store), and now Lemon Lime is my new favorite :D

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
f-castrillo said:
I'm trying not to be discouraged at the fact that my weight has gone up again (186.4 Tuesday, to 187 this morning). I still look at the scale every day, but I also try not to take the daily weigh-ins too seriously (I only record my Sunday AM weight). Maybe I was a bit high on the sodium and sugar side yesterday, or my sore muscles are retaining some of the water to aid in the recovery process.

Still, I can't help but feel a tiny bit discouraged, as my weight is only down 4.5 pounds from day one. But on the upside, I do see myself visually slimming down (belly has shrunken, muscles everywhere have become more visible), and at least my body fat percentage is on a downward slope (started at 27.5, currently at 25.4). Granted, I'm still in the middle of phase 2, but I wish those numbers would drop faster. I need to get the scale-based mentality out of my head.

I guess if my body fat % is on its way down, that's something to be happy about. I wonder if I can hit 20% at least by the end of phase 3.

and Audra takes the cake over all the other P90X girls :D with Katie (Back & Biceps), Dreya, and Sophia as runner ups

If you're starting this with little muscle, and you're lifting to grow (heavy, 6-8 reps), you're going to gain considerable weight.

But also consider the diet. This program isn't the fastest way to burn body fat, it's more of a general fitness thing. You have to stay on a lean diet and do more cardio.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I tried resistance bands the first time around last year and I think I wasn't able to push myself hard enough with them, especially when using the door attachment. I was paranoid they would snap. :)

I played with some powerblocks at a friends place and loved them. I'm pumped to do P90X now with proper weights.

Also, thanks for the rec on Endurox. Soreness was a major issue last time and I never bothered with recovery drinks. You drink them immediately after the workout right?

grumble

Slayer-33 said:

Just started today and the scheduled workout was KENPO X, the workout was fairly easy and fun to do but embarrassingly enough I had BIG trouble in the warm-up with the stretching exercises LOL.. Had my legs shaking like hell and I couldn't completely hold the warm-up positions for the full durations, My balance was shot lol.

The best recovery drink is chocolate milk. Yes, it is better than Endurox, Surge, Anaconda, P90X recovery drink, etc!

Top Bottom