• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Finally started the program yesterday. Day 2: I feel sore. Couldn't really keep up with them, but taking it at my pace and hoping for the best. Plyometrics here I come.

EDIT: Plyometrics. Serious heart racing, sweaty stuff.

Numpt3

MindCollizion said:
Finally started the program yesterday. Day 2: I feel sore. Couldn't really keep up with them, but taking it at my pace and hoping for the best. Plyometrics here I come.

EDIT: Plyometrics. Serious heart racing, sweaty stuff.

I'm on my second day today, just done plyo... god that was brutal. Feel great now though! :D

Amory

Just ordered this yesterday. I really want to try it out with all the hype it gets, but the thing is I already belong to a gym, so I've been hesitant because I feel like I'm going to be wasting money.

Still excited though. Bought the dvds, some resistance bands, and a pull up bar. Should be set I think.

Nightz

Finishing up week 3, got Kenpo X tomorrow, then on to my phase 1 recovery week. I'm surprised that I've been able to stay on the diet and I'm so glad I did. No drastic weight loss, but I'm down 6 lbs. I feel great, energetic, stronger, and I can already see and feel results with my clothes fitting better. Hopefully the weight keeps dropping steadily. I'm hoping to lose 14 more lbs. Just keep pressing play!

koam

Does P90X work? I dunno you tell me!
11m6al0.jpg

I have 2 weeks left.

giga

Nakazato said:
my only question is could i start this program completely out of shape and still be able to do what is shown on the dvd ??
No. It’s torture to keep up with them at first.

BobLoblaw

Banned
So I just completed my first Core Synergistics workout and FUCK! That routine was brutal as hell. Worse than Plyometrics even. :|

koam

Nakazato said:
so should i get p90 1st ?? or go strait in to p90x ?

Yes, you can. It's hard at first but after 3 weeks you should be able to do well. I know people who were completely out of shape who are doing p90x now.

Nakazato

koam said:
Yes, you can. It's hard at first but after 3 weeks you should be able to do well. I know people who were completely out of shape who are doing p90x now.
ok thanks koam and giga

Im so ready to stop being a fat bastard. :lol
:(

OmniGamer

koam said:
11m6al0.jpg

I have 2 weeks left.

Looking good :)

BobLoblaw said:
So I just completed my first Core Synergistics workout and FUCK! That routine was brutal as hell. Worse than Plyometrics even. :|

Yep, it can definitely be like that sometimes...gotta love how even the recovery week will kick your ass, lol

koam

Is there any point in me doing insanity after P90X? I don't have much fat left to lose, I guess there's still a bit left but I'm worried that doing so much cardio will make me lose the definition i've gotten.

I'm thinking of taking a month or two off when I'm done in two weeks (I'll be doing some biking, soccer, some gym on occassion) and then do P90X+.

ocadman

koam said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/11m6al0.jpg

I have 2 weeks left.

That's awesome, Koam! Good job. :D

I also have two weeks left and really haven't decided what to do at this point. I was considering Insanity as I still do have some flab in my midsection. I don't think you'll lose any definition doing Insanity, though I don't know for sure.

And I don't think I'm full of myself, but sometimes before I take a shower or just happen to be near a mirror, I find myself starting at myself...:lol I'm really amazed at the difference. I still can't believe this is me when you consider my before pictures. It still hasn't set in. This is my last week of actual exercises and then recovery the next! Almost there!

hey I just got my hands on a copy of P90X and plan on starting it once the semester is over. I have a question though, it seems that most before and after pictures I've seen have fat loss and muscle tone as the result, however, I am skinny and have no weight to lose (sorry :D ). Does this mean that I will see greater muscle tone by the end of the 90 days than someone that has to go through the weight loss as well? Or should I expect to see similar results

Hairtux

Felt like chiming in here with my story. Sometime last year some co-workers of mine were going to start P90X so I decided to join in. When I started I just had the bands and a mat, which were fine but the bands eventually broke because they weren't actually fine - instead, they were cheap pieces of crap. In any case, I made it through the first 2 months and then went to the hospital because of either an appendix issue or food poisoning (no one was sure).

I restarted from the beginning because too much time had passed, but this time I added the Bowflex Selecttech weights to the mix instead of bands, and some inexpensive push-up bars. Unfortunately, in the 3rd month of this round - I had maybe 3 weeks to go - I quit again because I did something to my right shoulder. Not sure what, but sometimes it hurts to raise my arms above my head. Also sometimes hurts when I do wide fly pushups. Ugh.

Anyway, I took a few weeks off but the best thing about this was that all this quitting made me realize how effective the program actually was. During the first two rounds, even though I didn't finish, I lost a shitload of fat and put on some visible muscle - especially in the chest/biceps/triceps area. I was getting a lot of comments from friends about how thin I looked - and I've never really been thin since I was 10 (never fat, either, just chubby, I'm short and stocky like Russell from Survivor). My average was about 190 during college and I'm 5'7". So I had some fat to lose. During the program, I was down to mid-170s but that was definitely muscle weight with a decent amount of fat lost.

During the downtime after the failed 2nd round, I just felt fatter. My face felt fat. I could see and feel my arms, chest, and stomach losing muscle mass and replacing it with fat. So I just started round 3 with gusto. I'm going to try to do it a lot smarter this time, and thanks to the previous 2 almost-done rounds worth of experience I should be able to give it my best shot yet.

Anyway, what I'm saying is if you give up once or twice it's no big deal. Just keep trying. Depending on how far you make it before you give up you should start to notice the effects wearing off and realize "holy shit, this really was working" which may help you start again.

One question - what do you people use for a recovery drink (if you do)? I was originally using some Clif Shot recovery mix but damned if it didn't give me some insane heartburn every time. I switched recently to some Muscle Milk, which is a protein drink instead of a straight up recovery one, but it tastes pretty good.

koam

greenhadoken said:
hey I just got my hands on a copy of P90X and plan on starting it once the semester is over. I have a question though, it seems that most before and after pictures I've seen have fat loss and muscle tone as the result, however, I am skinny and have no weight to lose (sorry :D ). Does this mean that I will see greater muscle tone by the end of the 90 days than someone that has to go through the weight loss as well? Or should I expect to see similar results

You just won't lose weight and get tone.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
greenhadoken said:

They picked out the ones with the greatest fat loss for those commercials to impress people more.

Follow the program, and replace the phase 1 diet with something between phase 1 & 2. Phase 1 is low carb to induce fat loss. You don't need to do that because you don't have a lot of fat.

But at the same time don't eat a bunch of refined carbohydrates because it will increase your insulin too much and cause calories to tend to store to fat instead of fueling muscles growth.

Any of you guys here that play sports notice any better performance (stronger, quicker, faster?) Building muscle is all well and good but I don't really care about cosmetic benefits. I'm looking to drop some weight to get back into playing shape for basketball ( the extra 20 pounds I've gained since college have caused me to lose my first step/make my ankles more susceptible to injury).

koam

Gully State said:
Any of you guys here that play sports notice any better performance (stronger, quicker, faster?) Building muscle is all well and good but I don't really care about cosmetic benefits. I'm looking to drop some weight to get back into playing shape for basketball ( the extra 20 pounds I've gained since college have caused me to lose my first step/make my ankles more susceptible to injury).

Yeah I kick ass at soccer now. I don't lose my breathe as easily and I can outrun people who I couldn't before.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Gully State said:
I haven't had a chance to really push myself from a strength standpoint, but the X has done wonders for my anaerobic threshold in basketball. We had a friendly game with some buddies a few weeks ago, and you could tell they were WINDED. I was breathing too, but I know for a fact that I couldn't move as quickly as I did that day 3 months ago, and I also would've ended up "hitting the wall" were it not for the intense cardio training.

INSANITY is pushing that threshold even further. Each week, I'm progressively doing each exercise longer and longer with less mid-workout resting. And I thought I was tough shit when I did Plyo nonstop, INSANITY brings you back down :lol

f-castrillo said:
I haven't had a chance to really push myself from a strength standpoint, but the X has done wonders for my anaerobic threshold in basketball. We had a friendly game with some buddies a few weeks ago, and you could tell they were WINDED. I was breathing too, but I know for a fact that I couldn't move as quickly as I did that day 3 months ago, and I also would've ended up "hitting the wall" were it not for the intense cardio training.

INSANITY is pushing that threshold even further. Each week, I'm progressively doing each exercise longer and longer with less mid-workout resting. And I thought I was tough shit when I did Plyo nonstop, INSANITY brings you back down :lol

Thanks for the impressions, that's exactly what I was hoping for. My anaerobic threshold is really low right now. Basically in a given game, a couple of " full court homerun plays" will have me gassed. I thought that it was my asthma returning at first but my pulmonary function exam was fine so I've got no excuses other than being out of shape.

LM4sure

Banned
so today will be my third day and I have to ask, how are you supposed to do this everyday when you're so sore you can't move?

Nightz

LM4sure said:
so today will be my third day and I have to ask, how are you supposed to do this everyday when you're so sore you can't move?
Some Tonyisms:
- Do your best, forget the rest.
- Yes I know it's hard. It's supposed to be!
- Just keep pressing play.

On another note, I'm starting my phase 1 recovery week today. I'm excited to get into Core Synergistics tomorrow, but scared at the same time after seeing some people say that it's harder than Plyometrics. :lol

thorin

LM4sure said:
The first week is the hardest. You won't experience the same level of soreness next week. Day 3 huh? Having trouble sitting? :D

koam

Sweet, p90neXt comes out this year. Tony is 52 now..

On another note, I'm starting my phase 1 recovery week today. I'm excited to get into Core Synergistics tomorrow, but scared at the same time after seeing some people say that it's harder than Plyometrics.

Core synergetics is damn tough, especially for a "recovery" week.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Glad to see you guys are also using my friend Shaun's Insanity Program... He worked hard on it and it looks like people are eating it up...

kathode

Malleymal said:
Glad to see you guys are also using my friend Shaun's Insanity Program... He worked hard on it and it looks like people are eating it up...

It's great. Tell him he needs to refer to himself in the 3rd person more. "SHAUN T'S STARTING TO SWEAT!" :lol It's hilarious but he's a good motivator.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
kathode said:
It's great. Tell him he needs to refer to himself in the 3rd person more. "SHAUN T'S STARTING TO SWEAT!" :lol It's hilarious but he's a good motivator.
He's motivating, but not in the same way as Tony. Tony makes the pain bearable by joking around. Shaun T has a way of bringing out the "inner warrior" in you that will power you past all the pain. Take the introduction clip, for example (also found in the middle of the Power Cardio and Resistance video)

"come on ya'll.....SKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZaTZrC6mI#t=0m13s

I'm 90% sure he doesn't say "SKAAA", but it's what it sounds like. Perhaps it's the Shaun T warrior cry.

Veritas_

koam said:
Sweet, p90neXt comes out this year. Tony is 52 now..

As long as he stops hitting on all the female participants, I'll eat it up.

Doing P90X right now, Week 2 Day 1 (Chest, Back, Ab Ripper). I would say I was in pretty good shape before starting. I lifted weights, ran regularly, ate well, etc. Yet this is definitely pushing me further. I wont lie, I was sore all over by day 4, but I'm loving this.

I hate it... but I love it!

I tried out one of the insanity workouts a while back. Was killer, but fun. I'll look into it again.

kathode

f-castrillo said:
He's motivating, but not in the same way as Tony. Tony makes the pain bearable by joking around. Shaun T has a way of bringing out the "inner warrior" in you that will power you past all the pain. Take the introduction clip, for example (also found in the middle of the Power Cardio and Resistance video)

"come on ya'll.....SKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZaTZrC6mI#t=0m13s

I'm 90% sure he doesn't say "SKAAA", but it's what it sounds like. Perhaps it's the Shaun T warrior cry.

Pretty sure it's a really short, shouted version of "Let's go!"
'S GAAAAAAHHHHH!!! :lol

f-castrillo

Neo Member
Veritas_ said:
As long as he stops hitting on all the female participants, I'll eat it up.
He should keep doing it, their reactions and his attempts are amusing

kathode said:
Pretty sure it's a really short, shouted version of "Let's go!"
'S GAAAAAAHHHHH!!! :lol
I'm not sure why I didn't think of that :lol

LM4sure

Banned
Question: On days when I have Ab Ripper X, is it okay to do my main exercise in the morning and Ab Ripper X at night, or am I supposed to do them together? I just don't have time in the morning and I won't want to wake up an extra half hour early to squeeze it in.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
LM4sure said:
Question: On days when I have Ab Ripper X, is it okay to do my main exercise in the morning and Ab Ripper X at night, or am I supposed to do them together? I just don't have time in the morning and I won't want to wake up an extra half hour early to squeeze it in.
This is my own personal opinion, but I think it's best to do Ab Ripper X immediately after the scheduled workout.

Why?

If research is correct, then your body begins to burn more fat for energy after about 40 minutes of exercise. And since most of the X workouts are close to an hour, that means you're in this fat burning stage for close to 20 minutes. Tack Ab Ripper X on top of that workout, and you get exercise that will work on those core/ab muscles while your body is still using some stored fat as energy.

If you were to do Ab Ripper X separately, you would still get an excellent abs/core workout (and remember, muscle mass burns calories even at rest, so the more the merrier!), but you wouldn't get the benefit of powering through the workout using energy from stored fat. And I know that research is pointing against "spot training", but if such a phenomenon truly existed, that's one extra thing you could be taking advantage of by doing the workouts together.

LM4sure said:

You don't need to wake-up an extra half hour early, just about 15 minutes.

Laekon

I’m looking at starting this program next month if my current plan doesn’t give some results. I have access to a small area at work with a treadmill, bench, and dumbbells(pairs) from 5-35lbs. I’m wondering if I need heavier weights to start this. I’m moderately fit but not strong. What exercises would the heavier weights be used for? Also would inverted rows be a good substitute for someone that can’t do the pull ups? I could get a pull bar for the door but I’ve been doing inverted rows on the treadmill.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys, planning to (finally) do this when I move into my new place next month. What do i need exactly? Some dumb bells, a pull up bar, and a yoga mat, right?

Laekon said:
I’m looking at starting this program next month if my current plan doesn’t give some results. I have access to a small area at work with a treadmill, bench, and dumbbells(pairs) from 5-35lbs. I’m wondering if I need heavier weights to start this. I’m moderately fit but not strong. What exercises would the heavier weights be used for? Also would inverted rows be a good substitute for someone that can’t do the pull ups? I could get a pull bar for the door but I’ve been doing inverted rows on the treadmill.

35lb dumbbells should be more than enough if you're not very strong. Off the top of my head the exercises that require the heaviest dumbbells would probably be "heavy pants" or "lawnmowers." Google em if you like, but they're basically variations on leaning/lunging and pulling up weight. Other than that you're looking at straight-arm extensions, curls, and tricep extensions for the most part.

I personally don't think inverter rows would be as beneficial as trying some other way of doing pull-ups. Either use a chair/stool to assist your pull ups on a bar, or get some resistance bands and throw them over a door hinge and do the motions that way.

Entropia said:
Hey guys, planning to (finally) do this when I move into my new place next month. What do i need exactly? Some dumb bells, a pull up bar, and a yoga mat, right?

Pretty much. The dumbbells and pull-up bar can be substituted with resistance bands if you'd like, but I'd only go that route if it's your only option.

Amory

Can someone vouch for the amount of calories the diet plan tells you to eat? I did the math and it suggests taking in over 3100 calories a day, which seems insane. I usually eat about half that and I'm not ever starving. I'm not exactly a stranger to exercise, either.

nomster

Amory Blaine said:
Can someone vouch for the amount of calories the diet plan tells you to eat? I did the math and it suggests taking in over 3100 calories a day, which seems insane. I usually eat about half that and I'm not ever starving. I'm not exactly a stranger to exercise, either.
I was right about there when I started and I think I was getting close to that many cals and lost weight quickly. Anecdotal, but it worked for me.

OmniGamer

WooHoo! I'm now officially "back". Had to do my own chest&back workout monday due to an unplanned family situation, and yesterday was plyo, but i've been keeping up with that anyway, so today, with shoulders&arms, was my first official P90X weight training workout since late January, and it felt great! The break did wonders, and I was a lot stronger than when I last did this. I had to adjust back a bit to the faster, circuit training style pace, especially since i didn't have to stop and switch my weights as before(I use my 40s for the pressing/curling movements, my 20s for triceps, and shoulder fly movements, and the blue band for the 16 rep bicep in&outs and static arm curls)...before i would be taking more time to pause and change the dumbbell plates from 40 to 30(or 25) and back again. This made for a much smoother, more intense workout.

These guys/gals aren't seeming quite so superhuman to me now :)...but i'm sure the Phase 2 workouts will humble me again :)

bionic77

LM4sure said:
I try to do them together but the workout is a big time commitment and when I don't have time I will just move it to later in the day. I do the same amount either way.

I should mention that Ab Ripper went from my least favorite workout to my favorite. So satisfying to be able to get through the exercise with relatively little pain and being able to do like 99% of the reps.

Top Bottom