• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Solo

MCX said:
That seems to be the general consensus. I started P90X over after 90 days and many do but still others move onto P90X+ or Insanity.

Is there any days of rest at all built into the program, or is it 90 days with workouts?

radcliff

Does anyone know if the recovery drink is supposed to be included in your 50-30-20 ratio computation, or is it separate? If it does count towards the ratio, I can't get the math to work since its so high in carbs.

Also, did anyone actually start the program by eating 1800 calories? I'm about to start and am eating about half that amount right now and I'm not sure if I want to increase that much this soon.

radcliff

Solo said:
You are eating 900 calories a day? Dude, that is not even remotely healthy. Dude.

Well, I never really did the math. But even when I try to plan for their portion approach (5 proteins, 2 dairy, 1 fruit, etc.) and add the calories up, I only get to about 1300. That's why I assumed about 900 and was unsure about 1800. It would seem for me to reach 1800, I would have to exceed their portion requirements. For my weight, I should actually be level 2 (2400 calories) but no way I am increasing that much. Here is my current eating routine:

Breakfast: smoothie (1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup mango, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed)

snack: 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 tbsp cinnamon

lunch: sandwhich (3 oz. turkey breat, whole wheat bread, lettuce), sugar free jello-o fruit cup

snack: 1 apple, 24 almonds

dinner: soy burger, mustard, 1/2 cup brown rice,

snack: 1 cup watermellon, 1 cup honeydew

Obviously, I will need to cut a lot of fruit and add more protein when I start p90x, but I don't think I'm malnourished.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
radcliff said:
Well, I never really did the math. But even when I try to plan for their portion approach (5 proteins, 2 dairy, 1 fruit, etc.) and add the calories up, I only get to about 1300. That's why I assumed about 900 and was unsure about 1800. It would seem for me to reach 1800, I would have to exceed their portion requirements. For my weight, I should actually be level 2 (2400 calories) but no way I am increasing that much. Here is my current eating routine:

Breakfast: smoothie (1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup mango, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed)

snack: 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ 1 tbsp cinnamon

lunch: sandwhich (3 oz. turkey breat, whole wheat bread, lettuce), sugar free jello-o fruit cup

snack: 1 apple, 24 almonds

dinner: soy burger, mustard, 1/2 cup brown rice,

snack: 1 cup watermellon, 1 cup honeydew

Obviously, I will need to cut a lot of fruit and add more protein when I start p90x, but I don't think I'm malnourished.

I'd say you're at more than 900 calories with that, depending on the bread you use for your sandwich. Either way, not nearly enough protein, too much fruit (though no other sweets is great) and not enough fat.

What is your activity level like now? I can't see you being able to perform p90x workouts at that level of eating.

Nightz

Looks like the next P90X is gonna be called P90X: MC2 (MC = muscle confusion) and it's coming out in late 2011.

On another note, I have 2 weeks left on my first round. I'll be moving on to P90X+ after a week or two off.

radcliff

Brendonia said:
I'd say you're at more than 900 calories with that, depending on the bread you use for your sandwich. Either way, not nearly enough protein, too much fruit (though no other sweets is great) and not enough fat.

What is your activity level like now? I can't see you being able to perform p90x workouts at that level of eating.

I alternate between an upper body weight routine (about 1 hour and 10 minutes) and a lower body/cardio routine (about 1 hour), with 1 day off per week. I have actually seen Ab ripper X and Cardio X online and have incorporated them into my routine already.

I redid my meal plan for when I start and have upped the calories to about 1600, but I am worried about the cholesterol level (it is calculated to be about 160 mg per day if I follow the plan I put together). My cholesterol is slightly elevated and right now the only cholesterol I take in is from the turkey breast (about 38 mg). That is a big increase in the amount of cholesterol and I am concerned it may increase my cholesterol levels further.

Okay, back to the recovery drink thing...

I read an article that suggested chocolate milk as a good option. Sounds too good to be true, but what do you guys think?

radcliff

megashock5 said:

I read an article that suggested chocolate milk as a good option. Sounds too good to be true, but what do you guys think?

Nestle's reduced fat choc milk has the 4:1 ratio, so it at least meets that criteria. Plus it would have the natural vitamins and minerals found in milk. The ? I have is does this count towards your ratio because when I start I will be at the fat shredder level and it is too high in carbs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
megashock5 said:

It's what I use, has a ton of good stuff in it. Usually have a glass after I shower. :D

EvaPlusMinus said:
Any simple alternative I can follow instead of using the food guide thing? I've never really had an issue eating horribly or anything, but I feel like I should put the effort into it anyway. Just not very well informed on how to go about doing so effectively.

I'll get to this first, if you have an iphone, download the Free and Excellent App: "FatSecret". It looks up nutritional information of foods and can scan barcodes (this blew me away). I literally plan my meals daily on it. It gives calorie counts and Protein, Fat and Carb grams per "meal" (B'fast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks). It lets you create custom meals by putting together foods. And doing some simple math (4 calories per gram of Protein & Carbs and 9 calories per gram of Fat) and you can easily calculate your percentage based on your daily caloric intake. Without a doubt, it has made this round (my second) of P90X manageable. (please note, I have no stake in this app -- its free fer christ's sake)

So, here's my story. I learned about P90X from this thread, about a year ago. This is my second time doing this routine (I'm currently in Week 2). The first time I did this (started last August), I was super psyched and ready...my biggest issue was finding time with my schedule -- I have a 4 year old, and my wife sometimes works late hours. I was working out in the evenings...sometimes after she got home. To say that an hour a day was affecting the timing of activities is putting it lightly. In the end, I had to compromise on the exercises I did (eg., I couldn't find 90 min to do Yoga). I finished the program. I made good progress, but I didn't get the gains I was hoping/expecting. I had a couple of minor interruptions (one a muscle pull - related to P90 and one a internal stomach issue - unrelated)...these combined pushed me out about 4 weeks. The last one really hit me hard. By that time I had created my "maintenance" program which was about a 30 min daily routine (alternating resistance & cardio).

My other big issue was my dieting. When I was first reading what everyone else was doing there were two common things people were doing: "I don't follow the diet" and "I don't do the yoga". These are IMHO bad advice. The diet is essential. The ratios and calories are critical. This time around, with the iPhone app, I'm doing a much better job of low calories, balanced along 50/30/20. The great thing is I can eat foods in combination not in the diet list to get the proper ratios. This has made the dieting MUCH easier for me.

My other big and really critical change is I now workout in the morning @ 6:30 am (I used to get up at 7 am), so I'm getting up 30 min earlier and getting to work about 30 min later, but it is without a doubt the best decision...I can do P90 like this for the rest of my life (all things being equal). Last time, Saturdays were my 'day off' because we do so much together on the weekend...well now, I don't have to worry about it. I now get to work out every day. Also, I've structured my schedule so that Yoga falls on Saturday, so the 1.5 hours I need is there. And really, this was the other component I was missing last time. Yoga will tweak/strengthen muscle groups at once that you won't normally hit with a cardio routine or lifting exercise...it really completes the package. Yes, it can be difficult, but like any of these routines, do what you can, and you will get better.

TL;DR -- diet is critical, don't fake it; Yoga is too,don't skip it...

OmniGamer

Ugh, i hate the lighting when i take the official P90X pose pics...no flash=too dark, flash=washed out and definition lost...I much prefer my cell phone shots in the mirror...but anyway, here's some of them

STARTING STATS
Ht: 6'6"
Wt: 245lbs
Belly: 42"

END OF ROUND ONE STATS
Wt: 226lbs
Belly: 38.5"

YEAR ONE STATS
Wt: 210lbs
Belly: 35.5"

radcliff said:
Nestle's reduced fat choc milk has the 4:1 ratio, so it at least meets that criteria. Plus it would have the natural vitamins and minerals found in milk. The ? I have is does this count towards your ratio because when I start I will be at the fat shredder level and it is too high in carbs.

Deadly Cyclone said:
It's what I use, has a ton of good stuff in it. Usually have a glass after I shower. :D

Cool, thanks. I can do that.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
ocadman said:
Has anyone tried the Insanity MAX workouts? They don't seem humanly possible.
I finished it, and while it's ridculously ludicrously difficult, it can be done. Watch out for MAX Cardio Conditioing :lol

OK, I just got p90x, I see there is classic, doubles, and lean. Do I just pick one of those and follow that? Also, what is the difference between the 3?

NYR

Oh snap!

Just started this, finished day 1 - chest and back. I did terrible - I could only do one pull up and had to revert to lady push ups after the first set of push ups and obviously the chair chin ups.

Is this normal or am I screwed? I did finish the workout and am still sweating and got a good burn. I assume this is normal since this is designed for people who want to get into shape, right? I see those vids on YouTube of people twice my size doing it as well...I weigh 185 pounds and am 5 foot 8. Advice?

bionic77

NYR said:
Oh snap!

Just started this, finished day 1 - chest and back. I did terrible - I could only do one pull up and had to revert to lady push ups after the first set of push ups and obviously the chair chin ups.

Is this normal or am I screwed? I did finish the workout and am still sweating and got a good burn. I assume this is normal since this is designed for people who want to get into shape, right? I see those vids on YouTube of people twice my size doing it as well...I weigh 185 pounds and am 5 foot 8. Advice?
I advise you to stick with it and as Tony says "do your best and forget the rest!".

If you give maximum effort every day you will see amazing results by the end of the program (at least I did). I was pretty much in the same boat as you with pull ups and I was dying at the end of workouts for the other stuff do (like plyo and even the push ups and not doing close to what the people on the vid were), but honestly after 90 days pull ups are not a problem at all for me anymore. I can knock out 20 pull ups without breaking a sweat now. If you look through this thread you will see amazing results, you probably won't have a six pack at the end of the 90 days or have guns like Tony, but you will be supersonic fit, have lost some serious weight, and look and feel a hell of a lot better than you did when you started.

The first two weeks are the worst but you will feel awesome after surviving them and it is all downhill from there onwards.

NYR

bionic77 said:
I advise you to stick with it and as Tony says "do your best and forget the rest!".

If you give maximum effort every day you will see amazing results by the end of the program (at least I did). I was pretty much in the same boat as you with pull ups and I was dying at the end of workouts for the other stuff do (like plyo and even the push ups and not doing close to what the people on the vid were), but honestly after 90 days pull ups are not a problem at all for me anymore. I can knock out 20 pull ups without breaking a sweat now. If you look through this thread you will see amazing results, you probably won't have a six pack at the end of the 90 days or have guns like Tony, but you will be supersonic fit, have lost some serious weight, and look and feel a hell of a lot better than you did when you started.

The first two weeks are the worst but you will feel awesome after surviving them and it is all downhill from there onwards.
Awesome, thanks for the reply man. That really motivates me to keep at it. I am feeling it this morning, but I still feel pumped - can't wait to get home to start day 2, week 1!!

Nightz

NYR said:
Awesome, thanks for the reply man. That really motivates me to keep at it. I am feeling it this morning, but I still feel pumped - can't wait to get home to start day 2, week 1!!
Enjoy plyo! :D

Epix

NYR said:
Oh snap!

As bionic said it's not whether or not you can match what their doing on screen, but it's how much effort you're putting in. I'm getting ready to start Phase 3 and I'm seeing great results too.

Tip: Whatever your goal is (size/lean) MAKE SURE YOU"RE LAST 3 REPS ARE DIFFICULT. You're results depend entirely on how hard you're working. If you're going for size then do 8-10 reps of anything involving weights. If you're going for a lean look then do 12-15 reps. The reps are a fixed part of the workout. The variable is the weight. Adjust the weight so that the last 3 reps of you're target number make you struggle. That's all there is too it. Good luck!

Grzi

Started week 3 yesterday, already doing much better. Just finished doing plyo, did every exercise, stuck with it, just added a few extra breaks and that's it. Feels so good.
Can't wait to wrap this week up so I can start doing core synergistics, looks like a hell of a workout.

DR2K

Banned
I gotta say after 120 days with P90x I can do just about any workout with ease. I workout primarily at a gym now(I work there) and P90 has shaped my body up quite nicely. Just ran 2.5 miles non stop in 17 minutes, I never thought I'd have that kind of endurance when I started.

It takes time and dedication, but for anyone struggling with their weight or just wants a better body, this is all you'll need.

Nightz

Epix said:
Core synergistics is the shit. Works everything.
I agree, Core Synergistics is amazing. Easily my favorite workout of the program. It's just a shame that it's only during the recovery weeks in the Classic program. I'll be finishing my first round of P90X next week though! :D

NYR

Nightz said:
Enjoy plyo! :D
THERE IS NO GOD.

Holy crap. Just finished plyo. My thighs are on fire, haven't felt this way in years. It is funny, I was just starting to feel fine from the workout yesterday, lol.

I was able to do everything except the jump/squat where you need to face one direction, jump and do a 180 and face the other direction. Just too tired to do it correctly - my legs were jelly at that point. That and the one footed cross jump were challenges. Needed a lot of breaks, took me about 75 minutes to finish the 60 minute program.

When i was done I sat down and the sweat just released from my forehead, It was crazy, like a water hose after you turn it off and shake it to release the remaining water.

Drank a glass of chocolate milk for recovery, very refreshing.

NYR said:
THERE IS NO GOD.

Holy crap. Just finished plyo. My thighs are on fire, haven't felt this way in years. It is funny, I was just starting to feel fine from the workout yesterday, lol.

I was able to do everything except the jump/squat where you need to face one direction, jump and do a 180 and face the other direction. Just too tired to do it correctly - my legs were jelly at that point. That and the one footed cross jump were challenges. Needed a lot of breaks, took me about 75 minutes to finish the 60 minute program.

When i was done I sat down and the sweat just released from my forehead, It was crazy, like a water hose after you turn it off and shake it to release the remaining water.

Drank a glass of chocolate milk for recovery, very refreshing.

Yeah, I had the same reaction two weeks ago. :lol

What's frustrating to me right now is that, while week 2 was far better than week 1, week 3 is WORSE than week 2. I thought I was making progress, but Plyo just about killed me last night.

God, I hate tuesdays.

megashock5 said:
God, I hate tuesdays.

:(

Pylo is hell for me because my lower back is pretty weak. I've incorporated lower back stretches and strengthening into my routine. to help. Doing p90x made me realize how physically weak I am :lol. It's a good and bad feeling.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend ankle strengthening exercises plz?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nick The Newbie said:
I'm super impressed with p90x. It's been kicking the shit out of me I'm finishing up week 5 now, and here's some progress shots.

day 1: http://i49.tinypic.com/xngqvl.jpg
day 30: http://i47.tinypic.com/2hp2hj5.jpg
Good shit, Nick. You've inspired me to start up again.

Just finished day 1. Actually made it through both workouts, side-by-side. Ffffuuuuu.... so tired. Almost 3 am... going to bed.

Thanks, guys! It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. I think the two things that helped were that I was super strict about the diet the first month, plus I made sure to have a protein/creatine/milk drink after every workout.

I feel like I've been slacking on month 2, though. I need to push myself harder, plus I need to get a better grasp of what the fuck I'm supposed to be eating in month 2. Anyone have suggestions?

Today is day 5 for me and I already feel a difference around my waste. If anyone has doubts about Yoga X, just try it. I have never perspired so much in my life AND my AC was on the whole time! :lol

Commuting to work is a struggle. I'm walking like an old man. My muscles are incredibly sore. Even the simple act of sitting down or standing up is taxing. :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Day 2 progress: Actually was able to do all of Plyo. A lot of times I had to stop 10 seconds early per activity, but overall, stuck with it to the end. A lot of times with Plyo, I had to stop the DVD 20 minutes early, so I'm feeling pretty good.

But FUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK this shit is rough on my legs.

NYR

the•rebel said:
Today is day 5 for me and I already feel a difference around my waste. If anyone has doubts about Yoga X, just try it. I have never perspired so much in my life AND my AC was on the whole time! :lol

Commuting to work is a struggle. I'm walking like an old man. My muscles are incredibly sore. Even the simple act of sitting down or standing up is taxing. :lol
I with ya man. My legs still killed 2 days after ploy for the first time. Luckily, it seems like the program is structured to go back and forth days that are focused on top body hurting then lower body hurting.

Calantus

hey guys, i'm not trying to lose weight, i just want to gain some muscle. I really don't want to go on a diet, i eat pretty healthy but i'm not strict about it.

my question is, Has anyone done P90X without doing anything special with their diet? I'm just trying to get better fit for basic training, and don't want to spend extra money trying to perfect my diet or buy protein powder/bars etc.

I'm 5'11, 150lbs, just to put things into perspective.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Calantus said:
hey guys, i'm not trying to lose weight, i just want to gain some muscle. I really don't want to go on a diet, i eat pretty healthy but i'm not strict about it.

my question is, Has anyone done P90X without doing anything special with their diet? I'm just trying to get better fit for basic training, and don't want to spend extra money trying to perfect my diet or buy protein powder/bars etc.

You will still achieve fitness gains, but you should always expect to make changes to your diet if you want to gain muscle. You're going to need to eat more than you are now and the closer you stick to a low-fat, high protein, 'good' carb' diet, the better off your results.

Michi's ladder can show you some better foods to be eating, without spending more money than you currently are. http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do

NYR

Well, shit.

Hurt my lower back doing Yoga X. Never done yoga before. I think my back got screwed because I kept looking and pulling up to look at the TV since they were going so quick and I had no idea how to do the moves. I got about 20 minutes in. I honestly think I was rushing it - didn't realize it was 90 minutes, didn't schedule that much time for it today.

Really dissapointed. I found the other vids to be for newbies and explained things well and slow. Hate that I kept having to look up to know what the fuck was going on.

Lucky that tomorrow is a half day. Will try to finish this in the afternoon and do legs and ab ripper in the evening.

Grzi

Calantus said:

I don't do any dieting, just eat what I would normally eat, only more, i also drink a chocolate milk and eat almonds after every training. I see a lot of changes on my body already (week 3), I gained some muscle, my abs are showing and so on. I must say that I have really good genes and metabolism, I can eat almost anything and I always look pretty fit, and whenever I would start training, I'd gain muscles pretty fast. This is my first time training seriously though, I try to really bring it and do every exercise to the end.

Also, I must say that day 5 (legs and back) is my least favourite day, because of the legs part. I hate it, it's so boring, and really hard for me. I enjoy every other day, even plyo to some extent, but the legs workout sucks, i hate it ,hate it, hate it. There.

ShinAmano

Calantus said:

I just finished 90 days with no change to diet at all. I was in pretty good shape going into the program (basically worked out 4 days a week before anyhow)...but I have noticed pretty significant changes in my upper body (bigger arms/shoulders etc) and I am looking forward to starting round two this Sunday...still not worried about the diet...it just doesn't seem worth it to me since I am getting results and eating what I like...but to each their own.

f-castrillo

Neo Member
ShinAmano said:
I just finished 90 days with no change to diet at all. I was in pretty good shape going into the program (basically worked out 4 days a week before anyhow)...but I have noticed pretty significant changes in my upper body (bigger arms/shoulders etc) and I am looking forward to starting round two this Sunday...still not worried about the diet...it just doesn't seem worth it to me since I am getting results and eating what I like...but to each their own.
Good to hear that you can get good results without changing your diet. But imagine what kind of gains you could get if you altered just a little bit. I no longer run on the X diet, I deviated a little and started eating MORE (but healthy stuff) calorie-wise. My fat loss is happening faster now, and I almost never get hungry :D

Remember, half of your results comes from what you eat ;)

Ogni-XR21

Started this yesterday so today was plyo... man I was sweating buckets but I made it through. Sometimes I stopped 10 seconds early and took longer waterbreaks but all in all I made it.

I'll alter my diet a bit but not as strict as in the nutrition guide suggests. I'll have a protein shake after each workout and try to cut the sugar (I don't use sugar or have sweet stuff in my home anyway) but other than that I already live pretty healthy.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Ogni-XR21 said:
Started this yesterday so today was plyo... man I was sweating buckets but I made it through. Sometimes I stopped 10 seconds early and took longer waterbreaks but all in all I made it.

I'll alter my diet a bit but not as strict as in the nutrition guide suggests. I'll have a protein shake after each workout and try to cut the sugar (I don't use sugar or have sweet stuff in my home anyway) but other than that I already live pretty healthy.

This is how I was in my first couple of weeks. I just about finished phase 2 and it gets incredibly easier.

Yoga still owns me though. :lol

Ogni-XR21

suffah said:
This is how I was in my first couple of weeks. I just about finished phase 2 and it gets incredibly easier.

Yoga still owns me though. :lol

I'm kind of looking forward to yoga, 2 days to go. My core balance is kind of shitty though, I hope this will improve over time.

NYR

Guys,

Any suggestion for protein bars that are low in carbs?

Doing phase 1 of the p90x diet (fat shredder). I have no prob keeping to the 20% fat limit, but get owned on the carb and protein side of things. This week, I keep doing the reverse, with 50% carb, and 30% protein. Not from a lack of trying, mind you. I can inch closer to the totals but my fat numbers gets really small, like around 11%.

Looks like the best option is whey protein or protein bars. Bars look pretty good, so wanted to try that first. I went to the store and spent a good 10 minutes looking at the labels - most have a lot of carbs, and some fat. Some fat is okay based on my diet, but the carbs just beat me down to not going for it.

Is the swapped ratio that big of a deal?

radcliff

NYR said:
Doing phase 1 of the p90x diet (fat shredder). I have no prob keeping to the 20% fat limit, but get owned on the carb and protein side of things. This week, I keep doing the reverse, with 50% carb, and 30% protein. Not from a lack of trying, mind you. I can inch closer to the totals but my fat numbers gets really small, like around 11%.

Try almonds or other nuts. They are high in the good unsaturated fats (about 14 grams) and have a decent amount of protein. This should help with your fat ration. Also, plain Greek yogurt is high in protein but really low in carbs and fat. String cheese also has a much higher protein vs. carb ratio. This should help your carb/protein ratio.

Top Bottom