• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

D23

i did shoulder and arms today.
so i was doing one of the exercise using the resistance bands.. when all of a sudden i hear a loud crack, then it feels like a fireworks just exploded on my left foot. my resistance bands just breaks in half and hit my left foot.. it hurt so bad!!

but i still finish the whole thing :)

Blackface

Banned
Ogni-XR21 said:
So yesterday was my first day of kenpo and I'm kind of disappointed... I expected it to be more challenging, but since I've been doing this kind of workout in my gym for the past year or so this was to be expected. The class in gym is even a bit more challenging concering cardio.

Now I'm thinking about changing the schedule so kenpo-day ends up on gym-kenpo-day and take the gym class. How bad would it be to skip today for stretch/recovery since that would fix that? I'm not sore and don't feel "like I need a break"...

To be completely honest with you, from watching others I know do P90 and P90X, P90 3-4 cardio at an increased pace seems more challenging then Kenpo from P90x. You also do it 3 times a week.

D23

winnarps said:
How hard is the Yoga X?

Apparently that's what I'll be doing today.

its long and if you have never done yoga in your life before... well... just enjoy :lol
but in all seriousness... the lengthy of this exercise will throw a lot of newcomers off. Just stick with it because a lot of people who have completed p90x, told me personally that yoga x is their favorite workout.

its also yoga x day for me too

winnarps

D23 said:
its long and if you have never done yoga in your life before... well... just enjoy :lol
but in all seriousness... the lengthy of this exercise will throw a lot of newcomers off. Just stick with it because a lot of people who have completed p90x, told me personally that yoga x is their favorite workout.

its also yoga x day for me too

it's not longer than 2 hours, is it?

Wrekt

I had Yoga X this morning for the first time. I got about 30 minutes through it then just went back to bed. I've felt like shit for skipping the remainder of the exercise but after the past 3 days of busting my ass, it just felt boring. I've decided to finish up when I get home since I'm sure it is important. At 5 am it didn't seem very enthralling though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any major issues with subbing stretch X for Yoga? I know I won't get the workout yoga brings, but I can't do an hour and a half of yoga every week, thought about alternating weeks.

LCfiner

Deadly Cyclone said:
Any major issues with subbing stretch X for Yoga? I know I won't get the workout yoga brings, but I can't do an hour and a half of yoga every week, thought about alternating weeks.

If I had to, I would sub cardio x for yoga, since it includes some yoga in it and is more intense than the stretch.

but keep trying to do the yoga. even if you can't complete the last 15 or so minutes of the vinyasa moves.

bionic77

The only thing I don't like about Yoga X is how goddamn long it is. 90 minutes is a long time to be working out on a weekday.

But damn do you feel good when it is over.

iNvid02

most of the people i talked to about p90x were pretty overweight,
like big bellies, not just a little bit or skinny wanting to bulk up.

it made me wonder, if the people in the film get tired doing that
shit for an hour, then the people who buy it must be fucking exhausted.

they should replace the actors with a fat guy and show his transformation
when doing the p90x program. those other people can be there for moral support

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
iNvidious01 said:
most of the people i talked to about p90x were pretty overweight,
like big bellies, not just a little bit or skinny wanting to bulk up.

it made me wonder, if the people in the film get tired doing that
shit for an hour, then the people who buy it must be fucking exhausted.

they should replace the actors with a fat guy and show his transformation
when doing the p90x program. those other people can be there for moral support

Yup, that pretty much sums me up. Got a gut on me, nothing outlandish, but still, I need to get in shape. I start day 3 of p90x tonight. Yesterday, Plyo nearly fucking killed me. I made it to the 40 minute mark before turning it off, because my legs literally wouldn't support me anymore. Leading up to turning it off, I probably did half of what they were doing, or less for some. Except the Heisman moves, and the one where you point your toes in three different directions. I could handle those ok.

P90X seems like it's mostly too hard for me, but damn it all, I'm going to stick with it and not give up, I don't care if I have to repeat the whole fucking thing 10 times over and over, I will get in shape.

D23

Diseased Yak said:
Yup, that pretty much sums me up. Got a gut on me, nothing outlandish, but still, I need to get in shape. I start day 3 of p90x tonight. Yesterday, Plyo nearly fucking killed me. I made it to the 40 minute mark before turning it off, because my legs literally wouldn't support me anymore. Leading up to turning it off, I probably did half of what they were doing, or less for some. Except the Heisman moves, and the one where you point your toes in three different directions. I could handle those ok.

P90X seems like it's mostly too hard for me, but damn it all, I'm going to stick with it and not give up, I don't care if I have to repeat the whole fucking thing 10 times over and over, I will get in shape.

YOU WILL.. and i think everyone who completed p90x will guaranteed you that you will be in shape after p90x.

the first 3 weeks is absolutely hell, so just stick to it.

NYR

Diseased Yak said:

DON'T GIVE UP!

I'm the same way. Plyo kills me. I couldn't do most of it the first time. Just did it the 2nd time and I got through it! Your body will get used to it, trust me.

Keep at it. We are hear to cheer you on and support ya!

ocadman

Yoga's really important, so don't skip it. I wouldn't recommend subbing in anything for it. Just try to do as much as you can and for as long as you can.

D23

did yoga x today. i sweat soo much in the first 45 minutes.. heck even more than plyo. its crazy!! but oh my god my body feels so good afterward.

Just got this and have to say I am really excited/anxious about starting. I weigh about 165 lbs and am 5'10. An old friend said that its "varsity wrestling/football" hard. Uh oh.

Balboa

Diseased Yak said:

If you feel like this again and have to stop the workout you should fast forward and do the cool down at the end before you turn it off.

Korey

Question...I live in a studio apartment and don't have access to a door that can fit a pullup bar.

1) Any alternatives to the door pullup bars?

2) Is it still worth doing the program if you can't do any pullup exercises?

D23

Korey said:
Question...I live in a studio apartment and don't have access to a door that can fit a pullup bar.

1) Any alternatives to the door pullup bars?

2) Is it still worth doing the program if you can't do any pullup exercises?

resistance bands.

Speaking of pullups, I can't do a single one. Absolutely 0 of them. Should I just keep trying when any workout involves pull ups? Normally I'll be able to get up half way a couple times before keeling over.

Grzi

Korey said:
Hmm interesting. Can you use resistance bands exclusively and effectively for the whole program (in place of dumbbells and pullup bar)?

Yes.

funkmastergeneral said:
Speaking of pullups, I can't do a single one. Absolutely 0 of them. Should I just keep trying when any workout involves pull ups? Normally I'll be able to get up half way a couple times before keeling over.

Use a chair.

Ogni-XR21

funkmastergeneral said:

Don't know if it's an approved way to do so but I mounted the pull up bar a little lower so I can support myself with my foot instead of a chair.

Today was plyo for the second time and I was sweating much less, probably also because it's not so hot and humid today. Still had to expand the water breaks sometimes but other than that I BROUGHT IT!!!

bionic77

funkmastergeneral said:
First give an attempt to do them the regular way at the start of the workout. If/When you can't do one then just use a chair (try and push it away from yourself, the closer the chair the easier it is) and do as many as you can that way.

Don't get discouraged. Most people suck balls at pullups when they start but you will be banging them out like a champ by the end of the workout.

funkmastergeneral said:
thats ok.
at first i was able to do 2 pull ups the right way, after a few weeks of doing that i am now able to do 6.
just have patience and train regulary

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok so I'm closing in on the end of week 1. I've lost about 3 lbs.

I'm scared I'm doing the nutrition wrong, though. I'm really struggling with the daily protein requirements. I'm following the "portion" plan, which requires 7 portions of protein per day. Do most people use protein shakes to make up the difference? Is using 1% skim chocolate milk mixed with protein powder a good way to get both protein and dairy? This is what I was thinking of doing like twice a day between meals.

I really like Kenpo!

moving away from my gym and thinking I'm going to try this, try and get one off ebay.

edit - ordered off the site with the plus dvds as well.

LCfiner

Diseased Yak said:
Ok so I'm closing in on the end of week 1. I've lost about 3 lbs.

I'm scared I'm doing the nutrition wrong, though. I'm really struggling with the daily protein requirements. I'm following the "portion" plan, which requires 7 portions of protein per day. Do most people use protein shakes to make up the difference? Is using 1% skim chocolate milk mixed with protein powder a good way to get both protein and dairy? This is what I was thinking of doing like twice a day between meals.

I really like Kenpo!

Well, I certainly had to double up on some protein bars and shakes to get the max protein amount. aside from that, lots of chicken and fish and lentils

Yesterday I finally started too.
I did "chest and back" and "ab-ripper x".
damn, some of the excercises are so fraking hard.
especially the all the "pullups" and "diamond pushups", i was only able to do 3 or 4 the right way.
and ab-ripper x has some mad stuff too.
the excercise where you have to lay on your side and do crunches as well as lifting your legs...
i couldn´t even do ONE.
i was probably looking like a fish out of water.
and the way tony (?) does his workout o_O
he´s no human, he´s a machine.
i have the feeling that this program could cause some serious suicidal tendencies,
I WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS THE GUYS ON THE DVD.
but whatever, i´m gonna do the program and wait for improvements.
but i still have one problem:
what to eat?
normally i dont eat very much so it will be hard to hit the recomended calorie intake every day.
do you guys have any idead what to eat?
it shouldn´t involve cooking though cause i only have a small apartment.

D23

PansenHansen said:
Yesterday I finally started too.
I did "chest and back" and "ab-ripper x".
damn, some of the excercises are so fraking hard.
especially the all the "pullups" and "diamond pushups", i was only able to do 3 or 4 the right way.
and ab-ripper x has some mad stuff too.
the excercise where you have to lay on your side and do crunches as well as lifting your legs...
i couldn´t even do ONE.
i was probably looking like a fish out of water.
and the way tony (?) does his workout o_O
he´s no human, he´s a machine.
i have the feeling that this program could cause some serious suicidal tendencies,
I WILL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS THE GUYS ON THE DVD.
but whatever, i´m gonna do the program and wait for improvements.
but i still have one problem:
what to eat?
normally i dont eat very much so it will be hard to hit the recomended calorie intake every day.
do you guys have any idead what to eat?
it shouldn´t involve cooking though cause i only have a small apartment.

sorry to say this but your so wrong.. u will be as good if not better than the guys on the dvd if u keep bringing it every day! seriously.. you can.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
funkmastergeneral said:

use a chair. I was like this and still am a bit with the wide grip pull ups. the close grip ones I can get 9 or 10 on the first one through. End of workouts, last sets I still need the chair for all, but slowly putting more weight on the arms and making it really difficult.

it's all about making your body go 'holy shit only just made it' for every exercise.

Strangely, I'm relieved that recovery week is over.

I simply *cannot* do Core Synergistics - for some reason, it makes me sick to my stomach. Not sore stomach muscles like Ab Ripper, I literally feel sick for like an hour and a half during and after. Like nausea. I refuse to feel like that. None of the other videos have this effect.

Chest/shoulder/triceps tonight. Sort of looking forward to it.

megashock5 said:
Strangely, I'm relieved that recovery week is over.

I simply *cannot* do Core Synergistics - for some reason, it makes me sick to my stomach. Not sore stomach muscles like Ab Ripper, I literally feel sick for like an hour and a half during and after. Like nausea. I refuse to feel like that. None of the other videos have this effect.

Chest/shoulder/triceps tonight. Sort of looking forward to it.

core workouts are the most brutal for me. I never had any idea just how weak that area was until I started doing them properly.

Top Bottom