• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

bionic77

Anyone try the P90 trainer after finishing X? I want a workout that is 30 minutes or less that can hopefully keep me in shape and maintain what I have done so far (and maybe slowly build on it).

NYR

funkmastergeneral said:
God dammit, trying to eat 200 grams of protein a day is killing me. I eat sooooo much now, but I've lost 3 pounds in a week. It rules.
Try weider 90% protein Soy isolate mix. 1 gram of fat and carbs, 27 grams of protein in a single scoop. Makes my numbers jump!!

NYR

SuperSonic1305 said:
The website doesn't ship to Canada. Anybody know where I can find this in stores or a website that ships here?
Walmart, London drugs and Canadian tire carry it. I believe sport chek does too.

Solo

SuperSonic1305 said:
The website doesn't ship to Canada. Anybody know where I can find this in stores or a website that ships here?

Are you talking about BeachBody? Because they most certainly do ship to Canada. My order arrived 2 weeks ago.

Ogni-XR21

Yoga is one of my favorites by now. The first 45 minutes are making you sweat like hell while the rest is still demanding but rather pleasant imo (except for crane).

NYR

Today is my last day of Week 3. As of this morning, I have lost 10 pounds!

Feel fantastic, and don't mind the "diet" - it's not even a diet for me anymore, total lifestyle change. Have stuck with 50-30-20 as long as I could, but I think I will move on to 40-40-20, since I have very little energy for the excerises. I think it will be a better mix for me.

I love my protein mix, I posted this before, but I rock Weider 90% Protein Soy powder and I love it. Mix it with a glass of skim milk after every workout, fills me up, and gives me so much relief and tastes fantastic, love the Vanilla.

The one thing I have added to my eating habits that may be a little shady is Coke Zero, but my soda craving is not going anywhere soon, and it's the next best option, IMO.

I am only 5 pounds from my goal for the ENTIRE 90 days, which is insane, which only means I will set a new goal next Sunday when I start Phase 2!

Guys, can't say it enough - p90x works, and can work for anyone if you BRING IT!

D23

week 2 done.
i have lost 5 pounds so far!!!

i need to work on my diet cause i honestly cant afford making my food n stuff (poor college students)... i also need to buy a whey protein or a good recovery drink to replaced my chocolate milk :lol

i also need to get a pull up bar, since ive been using a resistance bands/total body workout machine.

Solo said:
Are you talking about BeachBody? Because they most certainly do ship to Canada. My order arrived 2 weeks ago.

The website popped up a message when I selected Canada saying something stupid like "We only ship to Canadians living in the US"

Solo

SuperSonic1305 said:
The website popped up a message when I selected Canada saying something stupid like "We only ship to Canadians living in the US"

Something not right there. I ordered from them like 3 weeks ago and got my stuff in Canada, no problem.

Can anyone recommend something to help with joint recovery? After a month and a half, my knees are starting to feel a little wobbly, so I'm switching to cardiox instead of plyo for a bit.

funkmastergeneral said:
Speaking of pullups, I can't do a single one. Absolutely 0 of them. Should I just keep trying when any workout involves pull ups? Normally I'll be able to get up half way a couple times before keeling over.

I started out barely able to squeeze out 1. Now I'm on week 9 and I can do about 4 without the chair. My female friend said she can the definition in my back now :D. My goal is to be able to do 10.

Use the chair and keep going at it, slowly you'll start to be able to do them.

Just use whatever weight gets you the right amount of reps. 8-10 or 12-15 like tony says. If you're going over those targets, then adjust.

As for pullups, I highly recommend getting resistance bands. You can "fake" a pull up and get a decent workout in those muscles that you can't get when you can only do half a pullup.

hitsugi

bdizzle said:
I'm starting week 9 today and want to up my weights. I'm using 15s right now, should I just to 20 or 25s?

I've wanted to up mine for a while, the problem is..

they're expensive as fuck! is there a "cheap" weight lifting solution out there? most dumbbell sets I'm seeing are around $120 and up.. which, I admit, is pretty cheap.. but if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears

D23

starting week 3 today. did chest and back/ ab ripper x. wow i definitely see a lot of improvements on ab ripper x!! i can do almost all of the move.. except fiver scissor..

Blackface

Banned
Wrekt said:
I haven't tried it but the review are good and it is only $35 for 5 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSNYGI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can get it down to $31 if you don't feel bad signing up for the subscribe & save offer and then canceling it.

I use ON 100 percent Whey Gold standard and have for years now. It's the best Whey protein I have ever tried bar none for it's price. It's even far better then most more expensive protein powders you can buy and isn't full of cholesterol.

You can get one without sweetner if you want.

Nightz

So I'm starting a P90X/X+ hybrid next week and I decided to preview the workouts this week. I did Interval X Plus and I have to say that I felt like I did the first time I did Plyo...I thought I was going to die. :lol It's not that the moves are hard or anything. A lot of it is actually stuff that is in the regular program. It's just more intense and fast paced. I enjoyed it though. :)

Carlisle

D23 said:
starting week 3 today. did chest and back/ ab ripper x. wow i definitely see a lot of improvements on ab ripper x!! i can do almost all of the move.. except fiver scissor..
Fuck that scissor routine. Fuck it hard. Goddamn.

Since last year, I've been running/dieting to lose weight. I'm down 45 lbs, with about 5 to go before I hit my goal weight. So I decided to try P90X to start tightening myself up while I burn out this last layer of flab. I ordered a pullup bar from Amazon yesterday, and since it hasn't arrived yet I decided to do my usual 3 mile run and try some ab ripper since it requires no equipment, it's only 15 min, and you do it after a lot of workouts through the normal program anyway. I also wanted to get a taste of the activity I was in for and start acclimating a bit.

Fuck me in the face. It absolutely murdered me. I've been running 3 miles a day/ 5 days a week consistently since February, and I thought I was in pretty good shape until I tried Ab ripper. I've now realized I have 0 muscle development. What blows me away is that this routine used nothing but my own body weight... no resistance, no weights... just me and my own ability to move my own body. And it was only 15 minutes! I was drenched in sweat. Granted, I ran 3 miles a couple hours previously, but I filled up with water, rested, had a carb-ful dinner... Fuck this is going to kill me.

I thought I could fit in a routine in addition to my usual 3 miles, but fuck no. FUCK no. FUCK. NO.

Even though it was hell and I can barely move today, I loved every minute of it.

D23

just keep at it.. the first time i did ab ripper x.. i was in so much pain. but im on my week 3, and i can keep up with tony and the rest!

Le-mo

Alright guys, I just purchased P90x from Amazon and with prime shipping it will be here on Friday. I've been weightlifting for a few years, but its been on and off so I didn't really gain much muscle mass. For the equipments I have a pull up bar, resistance band, 20lbs dumbells pair, and one 25lb. Is there anything else that I should buy and any advice will help.

tribal24

Banned
Ordered mines should be here on Friday I'm hyped!!! Since my work schedule changes a lot, I would like to know how long are the workouts?

burnfout

So I am in the middle of week two and love the workouts. I do however get completely exhausted during workdays, i'm half asleep at work :(

Nightz

Le-mo said:
Alright guys, I just purchased P90x from Amazon and with prime shipping it will be here on Friday. I've been weightlifting for a few years, but its been on and off so I didn't really gain much muscle mass. For the equipments I have a pull up bar, resistance band, 20lbs dumbells pair, and one 25lb. Is there anything else that I should buy and any advice will help.
You pretty much have everything you need, but you might want to get a mat for the floor exercises.

tribal24 said:
Ordered mines should be here on Friday I'm hyped!!! Since my work schedule changes a lot, I would like to know how long are the workouts?
Most workouts are around 50-60 minutes long, and yoga is about an hour and a half. Some days will have you doing ab ripper in addition to the workout so that's another 15 minutes. So in short:
Days with ab ripper ~ 1 hour 15 min
Days without ~ 1 hour
Yoga day ~ 1 hour 30 min

I simply did not have time to do the yoga, so I just substituted Cardio X in for it, which is about 40 minutes long.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can anyone recommend anything to drink just before or during the workouts to keep your energy up? I am on week 11 and find myself getting oddly work out about half way through, not really tired as in my muscles cant do it, but just worn down (probably because of the prior 10 weeks of 6 day workouts).

Thanks

Niks

Whats the best time of the day to these workouts??
Early in the morning before breakfast or after work before lunch??

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Niks said:
Whats the best time of the day to these workouts??
Early in the morning before breakfast or after work before lunch??

I do mine after work around 5pm to make sure I have no food in my system and have had all day to fill up on water. Then I eat dinner afterwards.

Agreed with the Plyo statement, I am on week 11 and that shit is still hard.

winnarps

burnfout said:
So I am in the middle of week two and love the workouts. I do however get completely exhausted during workdays, i'm half asleep at work :(

Yeah I'm 2.5 weeks in now, and I'm still dozing off occasionally at work. ><

Sarye said:
just wanted to pop in here and say f- pylo. Never had I wanted to puke so bad.

Completely agree. Hardest workout of the whole week (Yoga X comes close IMO, but that's because I have weak wrists). Yesterday was rough.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I do mine after work around 5pm to make sure I have no food in my system and have had all day to fill up on water. Then I eat dinner afterwards.

Agreed with the Plyo statement, I am on week 11 and that shit is still hard.

First thing I do after work, too. By that time, my stomach has settled from lunch and I'm good to go. I follow up with a protein shake and/or dinner.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
How soon did you guys start seeing weight loss? I started week 3 last night with Chest & Arms, and I can definitely see improvement in terms of the workout. I can hang with most of it now, only cutting out something here and there (diamond push-ups, I HATE YOU SO!).

However, I haven't lost but maybe 1-2 lbs. in the three weeks I've been going. Is that normal? I have been strictly following the nutrition guide, which is hard as fuck, having to eat so much food. I just can't help but feel that I'm doing something wrong somehow.

I must be doing something right, though, because I can definitely tell my overall conditioning is improving.

Diseased Yak said:
How soon did you guys start seeing weight loss? I started week 3 last night with Chest & Arms, and I can definitely see improvement in terms of the workout. I can hang with most of it now, only cutting out something here and there (diamond push-ups, I HATE YOU SO!).

However, I haven't lost but maybe 1-2 lbs. in the three weeks I've been going. Is that normal? I have been strictly following the nutrition guide, which is hard as fuck, having to eat so much food. I just can't help but feel that I'm doing something wrong somehow.

I must be doing something right, though, because I can definitely tell my overall conditioning is improving.

What was your starting point? If you're a fat ass, then yeah, you should be losing weight. If you're a skinny ass, then no, you'll probably add weight doing P90X.

Most of the fat burning in the program comes during the last 30 days if you're following the nutrition guide.

grumble

Carlisle said:
Fuck that scissor routine. Fuck it hard. Goddamn.

Since last year, I've been running/dieting to lose weight. I'm down 45 lbs, with about 5 to go before I hit my goal weight. So I decided to try P90X to start tightening myself up while I burn out this last layer of flab. I ordered a pullup bar from Amazon yesterday, and since it hasn't arrived yet I decided to do my usual 3 mile run and try some ab ripper since it requires no equipment, it's only 15 min, and you do it after a lot of workouts through the normal program anyway. I also wanted to get a taste of the activity I was in for and start acclimating a bit.

Fuck me in the face. It absolutely murdered me. I've been running 3 miles a day/ 5 days a week consistently since February, and I thought I was in pretty good shape until I tried Ab ripper. I've now realized I have 0 muscle development. What blows me away is that this routine used nothing but my own body weight... no resistance, no weights... just me and my own ability to move my own body. And it was only 15 minutes! I was drenched in sweat. Granted, I ran 3 miles a couple hours previously, but I filled up with water, rested, had a carb-ful dinner... Fuck this is going to kill me.

I thought I could fit in a routine in addition to my usual 3 miles, but fuck no. FUCK no. FUCK. NO.

Even though it was hell and I can barely move today, I loved every minute of it.

It's a common misconception that people thing that running gets you 'in shape'. It does in some ways, but not in others. Specifically, it increases your cardio and the endurance in your legs. If you want to be in 'good shape', there are better ways, like doing a strength program combined with a variety of conditioning work (ie some LSD cardio, some more high-intensity weighted stuff). P90X is good for giving you decent conditioning (though not for large muscle mass increases).

winnarps

Diseased Yak said:

You're probably just putting on a good bit of muscle.

I've lost maybe 5lbs since I started. This seems a bit disheartening on paper, but then I look in the mirror and I'm like 'wow, I'm starting to get some serious definition going now'.

Niks

Deadly Cyclone said:

Thanks, yeah Ill do that. That way I don't have to be as tired during work hours.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Nightz said:
Here are my results for my first round. 23 lbs lost and dropped about 8% body fat. I still have some work to do on my chest and stomach...hoping to flatten them out completely in my 2nd round of P90X/X+.

p90side.jpg

Dude, awesome work. You'll really enjoy Plus; it's great to get some extra variety.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Nightz said:
So I'm starting a P90X/X+ hybrid next week and I decided to preview the workouts this week. I did Interval X Plus and I have to say that I felt like I did the first time I did Plyo...I thought I was going to die. :lol It's not that the moves are hard or anything. A lot of it is actually stuff that is in the regular program. It's just more intense and fast paced. I enjoyed it though. :)

Interval X is totally the new Plyo. I use them in alternating weeks and I still can't decide which is harder.

Interval X is more intense, but considerably shorter.

I love them both. :)

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Nightz said:
You pretty much have everything you need, but you might want to get a mat for the floor exercises.

Most workouts are around 50-60 minutes long, and yoga is about an hour and a half. Some days will have you doing ab ripper in addition to the workout so that's another 15 minutes. So in short:
Days with ab ripper ~ 1 hour 15 min
Days without ~ 1 hour
Yoga day ~ 1 hour 30 min

I simply did not have time to do the yoga, so I just substituted Cardio X in for it, which is about 40 minutes long.

Pick up Tony's 'Fountain of Youth' One-on-One Yoga video to use instead of Yoga X if you don't have enough time. It's only 48 minutes (iirc), but gives many of the same results.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Datawhore said:
Interval X is totally the new Plyo. I use them in alternating weeks and I still can't decide which is harder.

Interval X is more intense, but considerably shorter.

I love them both. :)

Is this in the normal video set? I'm not sure I have P90x+...

puebla

for the people who have done p90x and insanity, how much more harder are the insanity workouts than something like plyo?? i can't imagine too many workouts being harder than plyo. also i think i want to try insanity after p90x, 10 more weeks to go.

D23

puebla said:
for the people who have done p90x and insanity, how much more harder are the insanity workouts than something like plyo?? i can't imagine too many workouts being harder than plyo. also i think i want to try insanity after p90x, 10 more weeks to go.

I did the plyometrics workout from insanity!! i can do plyometrics from p90x without any pausing.. after beeing on the program for a month now. but insanity plyometrics is on another level.. ITS HARD.. ITS INSANE.. i had to take a break almost every 10 minutes.

insanity is like plyo on crack times 100

puebla

D23 said:
I did the plyometrics workout from insanity!! i can do plyometrics from p90x without any pausing.. after beeing on the program for a month now. but insanity plyometrics is on another level.. ITS HARD.. ITS INSANE.. i had to take a break almost every 10 minutes.

insanity is like plyo on crack times 100
damn, i have to try it now, i'd like to push myself to the absolute limit.

Top Bottom