• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Flek

Banned
turnbuckle said:
Any suggestions on pull-up bars? Been trying to use amazon reviews to guide me but there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus there. Once I have that figured out I'll be ready to start the program. I just started getting into rock climbing and years of the gym haven't been able to prepare me for the just how much of a physical challenge it really is. I'm doing alright for a beginner but I think p90x would help me improve a lot, and a lot faster.

i just finished my first day of p90x (took me ages !) and iam having a real big problem with pullup bars. Why? Because iam living in a old house with wood door frames all over the place. I can´t use pullup bars you put in between because the door frames would simply break and i can´t use pullup bars you put over the doors because they won´t fit any of my doors…

i might just end up buying those stupid bands :(

also - HOLY FUCK at chest and back and then ab. ripper x right after that. I know it is day 1 and all but OMG … i simply couldn´t do it

duk

Banned
Flek said:
i just finished my first day of p90x (took me ages !) and iam having a real big problem with pullup bars. Why? Because iam living in a old house with wood door frames all over the place. I can´t use pullup bars you put in between because the door frames would simply break and i can´t use pullup bars you put over the doors because they won´t fit any of my doors…

i might just end up buying those stupid bands :(

also - HOLY FUCK at chest and back and then ab. ripper x right after that. I know it is day 1 and all but OMG … i simply couldn´t do it

ull get better as time goes along! don't quit!

i just did 13 pullups last night vs 5 in the beginning lol!!!

Flek

Banned
ok day 2 done.

please tell me that pylometrics is the hardest training. If it gets any harder i might just die here lol

i had to press pause so damn often and i downed like 50 oz of water while doing it.

Anyway iam seriously concerned if my form is correct !? This is a bit of a downside from p90x i think. You always feel like you might just do something wrong

dankir

Flek said:
ok day 2 done.

please tell me that pylometrics is the hardest training. If it gets any harder i might just die here lol

i had to press pause so damn often and i downed like 50 oz of water while doing it.

Anyway iam seriously concerned if my form is correct !? This is a bit of a downside from p90x i think. You always feel like you might just do something wrong

It's not supposed to be easy. I've been weight training for 12 years, boxing for 3 and playing badminton for 7 and Plyo was very difficult the first time around.

I just started my 7th week and it's gotten considerable easier.

p90x is easy or tough as you make it. Just make sure you don't give up.

Flek said:
ok day 2 done.

Plyo was the most difficult for me, but it gets significantly easier after you've done it a few times.

Articate

Banned
So I'm going to get a pull-up bar for this, and maybe some additional weights for my dumbell-set. Does anyone have any pointers for how much weight I will need on a dumbell?

X26

Banned
Articate said:
So I'm going to get a pull-up bar for this, and maybe some additional weights for my dumbell-set. Does anyone have any pointers for how much weight I will need on a dumbell?

depends entirely on what you're capable of

10's are good for the lighter weight exercises, and then 20's, 30's and so on for the rest

Start out "low" and if it's too easy to curl what you have right now, up the weight, but I don't think you need to go balls out right away and buy a ton of weights from the start

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
How is that 10 minute trainer thing?

i want to try it first cause I dont have much time and Im lazy as fuck

dgenx said:
How is that 10 minute trainer thing?

i want to try it first cause I dont have much time and Im lazy as fuck

10 minutes won't do anything.

And if you're so lazy you can't spend 1hr a day, you really don't want to get into shape.

ocadman

Fuck Fuck Fuck. Just sprained my ankle! Thankfully I can still do upper body stuff. Anybody have any recommendations for a cardio alternative? I was just about to start Phase 2 too...

Just started the Recovery week today. And I am down about 9 lbs from the start. I'm not seeing too much in results in the mirror, but my fitness levels are great and my pants are a little looser than when I started.

Side note, I ran a half marathon this past Sunday (been training since December), and I went from last year's time of 2 hours, 4 minutes to 1 hour, 53 minutes this year. Not saying that it was all P90x, but it definitely helped!

I hit Day 30 on Feb 18.

X26

Banned
I've never done an entire kenpo session. After the first 20min of it in week 1 I said fuck it. I now do plyo again instead.

i haven't been in this thread for a while but...........you guys know that there coming out with P90x mc2 right??

after i finished p90x i just started lifting heavy weight to get bigger but when that comes out ill jump on that :)

DaveTheSnake said:
Just started the Recovery week today. And I am down about 9 lbs from the start. I'm not seeing too much in results in the mirror, but my fitness levels are great and my pants are a little looser than when I started.

Side note, I ran a half marathon this past Sunday (been training since December), and I went from last year's time of 2 hours, 4 minutes to 1 hour, 53 minutes this year. Not saying that it was all P90x, but it definitely helped!

I hit Day 30 on Feb 18.
It'll be difficult for you to see obvious results because you see yourself in the mirror every day. It's sort of why you need to take photographs of yourself.

Le-mo

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i haven't been in this thread for a while but...........you guys know that there coming out with P90x mc2 right??

after i finished p90x i just started lifting heavy weight to get bigger but when that comes out ill jump on that :)
Wow, I can't wait. Too bad it's coming out in the fall.

On day 6, so I'm up for Kenpo X today. I've heard it's pretty lame, but whatever. As long as I sweat, right? Plyometrics was really difficult. I enjoyed Yoga X the most, I think.

Also; on day 7 the guide tells me to either rest or do X Stretch. Should I choose on how my body feels? Is it better to do one or the other?

williamsan said:
On day 6, so I'm up for Kenpo X today. I've heard it's pretty lame, but whatever. As long as I sweat, right? Plyometrics was really difficult. I enjoyed Yoga X the most, I think.

Also; on day 7 the guide tells me to either rest or do X Stretch. Should I choose on how my body feels? Is it better to do one or the other?
X Stretch is actually pretty awesome, I'd recommend it.

What exactly are people saying when they say Kenpo X is "lame"? That it is to exhausting? That it is stupid and they feel ridiculous doing it?

Personally I think Kenpo X is the easiest part of P90X. I'm sure my technique is far from presentable, but it's not like I'm about to collapse out of lack of strength or breath. Compared to the other routines, Kenpo is quite layed back. Feels like I haven't done enough afterwards.

ocadman

Plywood said:
Whatever, I get a bigger sweat out of Yoga X. I feel like an ass hat doing Kenpo X.

Haha, I'm just saying. Seems like it's universally hated. I don't think one person likes it on here. I avoid it myself and do Cardio X or Yoga.

X26

Banned
Souldriver said:
What exactly are people saying when they say Kenpo X is "lame"? That it is to exhausting? That it is stupid and they feel ridiculous doing it?

Personally I think Kenpo X is the easiest part of P90X. I'm sure my technique is far from presentable, but it's not like I'm about to collapse out of lack of strength or breath. Compared to the other routines, Kenpo is quite layed back. Feels like I haven't done enough afterwards.

No, the exact opposite is the problem: It's too easy and low intensity, and because of that it feels like a waste of an hour compared to the other workouts. You're still doing cardio and increasing your heart rate, but you may as well use a machine, go for a run, or do cardio x/plyo as it's a better use of your time.

Also, that chick in kenpo is hideous

X26 said:
No, the exact opposite is the problem: It's too easy and low intensity, and because of that it feels like a waste of an hour compared to the other workouts. You're still doing cardio and increasing your heart rate, but you may as well use a machine, go for a run, or do cardio x/plyo as it's a better use of your time.

Also, that chick in kenpo is hideous
So Kenpo X is part of the cardio-element of P90X right? So running before/afterward it would be a good fit, right? Because like you say, after Kenpo X I don't feel like I've done enough.

Also, when I see the redhead chick, I think of Christina Hendricks without her makeup. You know what candid-pics I'm talking about. lol

X26

Banned
Souldriver said:
So Kenpo X is part of the cardio-element of P90X right? So running before/afterward it would be a good fit, right? Because like you say, after Kenpo X I don't feel like I've done enough.

Also, when I see the redhead chick, I think of Christina Hendricks without her makeup. You know what candid-pics I'm talking about. lol

Yea kenpo is just cardio. And mentioning running brings up the biggest problem i have with it, it's inefficient. If you need to add something like running to make your kenpo day worthwhile, you may as well drop kenpo altogether. 1HR a day can be tough on busy days, so if you're going to workout you may as well make it worthwhile, which kenpo isn't imo.

Rocket786

Eh, I look forward to Kenpo. It is easier than the rest of the week, and a little less intensity helps me recover for the upcoming week. Like they say, no need to over train.

I have a heart rate monitor which shows calories burned as well, and with Plyo, I get around 800, while with Kenpo, I still get around 700. So it's not so bad, and I prefer it instead of exhausting myself every day of the week.

Just finished Kenpo X, didn't mind it at all. Broke into a pretty nice sweat, buuut I managed to keep up with Tony. I did almost all of the repetitions as well, which worries me. It was fun, but not challenging enough, I think.

The redhead in Kenpo X is ugly, indeed.

X Stretch tomorrow and I'm done with my first week!

Finally starting this program next week!

Me and my friend are doing this together. He is 5-10 and 200 lbs, im 5-10 and 155 lbs, so we have sort of different goals. He wants to lose a lot of weight, while I want to lose a little stomach weight and bulk up.

We did some initial tests competition style so we can compare how strong we are before and after. I could only do 12 broad pushups, 1 broad pull up, 3 regular pullups, and 50 sit-ups. I have absolutely no muscle at all, so I hope this helps me out.

I am not to weak too start this am I?

Not a fan of kenpo myself but I feel it's better than running since it has a more varied set of range of motion. And if your goal is fat burning, your cardio sessions should be more about going at your target heartrate than going all out.

Flek

Banned
BrassMonkey1010 said:
Finally starting this program next week!

Me and my friend are doing this together. He is 5-10 and 200 lbs, im 5-10 and 155 lbs, so we have sort of different goals. He wants to lose a lot of weight, while I want to lose a little stomach weight and bulk up.

We did some initial tests competition style so we can compare how strong we are before and after. I could only do 12 broad pushups, 1 broad pull up, 3 regular pullups, and 50 sit-ups. I have absolutely no muscle at all, so I hope this helps me out.

I am not to weak too start this am I?

do the p90x fit test (you can find it for free online on beachbody somewhere) to see how you are doing.

I did shoulders/arms today and didn´t find it difficult at all. Ok sure here and there it was a bit hard but nothing like chest/back or even plyo. Maybe i haven´t used enough weights through … i did almos everything with 2x 15 lbs which might just be to less going to up to 22 lbs next week i think. Also the blond is kinda hot…best looking girl so far!

ocadman

bionic77 said:
Not at all. If you stick with it you will be amazed at how many pushups and pullups you will do by the end.

QFT.

I was one of those people who could barely pull off 1 at the beginning and was doing double digits by the end.

FOOTE

Just a warning to everyone. The redhead is in cardio x, and her fiancé is there to. So watch your mouths when you put that disc on, or he might leap out and kick your ass Kenpo X style.

Jab, cross, hook, uppercut. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut.

I'll agree with everyone that Kenpo is easy, but I think it's there to add variety to the program and also provide a cardio workout that doesn't destroy your legs (which have just been fucked up by plyo and legs and back). By the time Saturday hits, my legs need a damn break. Yeah, sure, you're kicking in Kenpo, but it doesn't really put much strain on your legs at all.

All the segments in Kenpo aside from the blocks gets my heart rate up pretty high. You just have to really put your body into it, and quite often go faster than they are going.

One thing I'll never understand though...how in the hell does Tony get his heartrate up to 164 after doing star blocks? He's gotta be lying.

By the way, I'm in week 5 now, with my goal being fat loss. I started at 215, and now I'm at 208. So far so good. Keep up the hard work, everyone!

FOOTE

I see kenpo as a stretch/cardio workout. I just keep my arms and legs tight and do about 10 extra sets for the punches, they go way too slow sometimes. It's not a bad workout, you just have to commit to it a lot more then what you see on the screen to really feel it's effects.

X26

Banned
Flek said:
do the p90x fit test (you can find it for free online on beachbody somewhere) to see how you are doing.

I did shoulders/arms today and didn´t find it difficult at all. Ok sure here and there it was a bit hard but nothing like chest/back or even plyo. Maybe i haven´t used enough weights through … i did almos everything with 2x 15 lbs which might just be to less going to up to 22 lbs next week i think. Also the blond is kinda hot…best looking girl so far!

wait until legs and back

what if I don't necessarily want to lose weight doing this program? At this point I'm 6'2" and weigh about 170. I want to gain weight, and also build some muscle.

FOOTE

disappeared said:
what if I don't necessarily want to lose weight doing this program? At this point I'm 6'2" and weigh about 170. I want to gain weight, and also build some muscle.
Might want to think about doing something else.

X26

Banned
disappeared said:

I don't think this is right for you then, going with a more traditional workout routine that is focused on building muscle mass would be a lot more beneficial given your goal.

FOOTE said:
Might want to think about doing something else.

X26 said:
I don't think this is right for you then, going with a more traditional workout routine that is focused on building muscle mass would be a lot more beneficial given your goal.

Any suggestions? I am literally in the dark when it comes to workout programs.

disappeared said:
Any suggestions? I am literally in the dark when it comes to workout programs.

Starting Strength or something similar. Focus on compound excersizes such as: squats, bent rows, overhead presses, bench press, pullups, deadlifts.

Heavy weights, sets of 5-8 reps.

P90x is not the way to go if you want to build mass quickly.

Top Bottom