• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Articate said:
soy protein (which prohibits protein uptake)
This seems odd, considering soy protein is encouraged in the P90X meal plan. One of the meals is a soy sausage muffin.

The power bars are good. They taste good and they are safe for vegetarians because they use plant based glycerin. I use the Wal-Mart brand protein bars. Only 15g of protein, but they only cost $1/bar instead of $3/bar. I think that's a fair trade off.

And for whey powder, I'm using chocolate Body Fortress. Tastes great and it's pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. Ony $16/tub instead of $30/tub.

And for a recovery drink I drink chocolate milk. I've heard good things about it, but the folks at bodybuilding.com seem to disagree.

Articate

Banned
The Chinese did not eat unfermented soybeans as they did other legumes such as lentils because the soybean contains large quantities of natural toxins or "antinutrients". First among them are potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion.

I've heard this from several sources. This was a quote from the first page that popped up with a google search (http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.aspx - it required entering of a valid email - I just put in penis@hotmail.com)

Bottom line is that you need hexane to process soy. The process damages the environment, and the product damages you. I convinced a friend to stop with the soy and start eating meat (she was a vegeterian) after I told her that it's not healthy to not eat meat, and especially unhealthy to eat soy. It's been a couple of weeks since she changed her diet, and she came down with the flu just before she changed, but she said: "Even though I'm sick, and it sucks, I've actually not felt this good in a long while."

I stay away with anything with soy in it. Except soy sauce. Natural soy sauce is produced of soy beans and not by chemical processes to the soy bean.

Aright so contrary to my post on the last page, I found ONE magical door in my house that supports the pullup bar! :D

Only thing is its not near a TV. For the people who went through the program, can the pullups be done like after a session? or should I pause and do them and then play again when im done? Little confused, looking to start monday and would like some feedback if possible.

Articate

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
Aright so contrary to my post on the last page, I found ONE magical door in my house that supports the pullup bar! :D

Only thing is its not near a TV. For the people who went through the program, can the pullups be done like after a session? or should I pause and do them and then play again when im done? Little confused, looking to start monday and would like some feedback if possible.

Wondering this myself. My pull-up doors are only in rooms with no TV. How crucial is doing them to this guy saying what to do?

duk

Banned
FOOTE said:
I officially started my last phase of the program today. I am extremely anxious to finish and compare my first pictures to my last ones. Chest and Back is still a beast of a workout.

awesome! excited for you

Articate said:
Wondering this myself. My pull-up doors are only in rooms with no TV. How crucial is doing them to this guy saying what to do?

You get about a minute for each round of pull-ups. Just go walk into the room with the bar and then return.

Ill Saint

Lionheart1827 said:
I pause. I don't time or anything, I just set a number in my head that I want to achieve. If I feel good, I do one or two extra and then resume. There's no need to rush or worry about time, just set a goal like Tony keeps saying.

FOOTE

duk said:
awesome! excited for you
Thanks!

Ill Saint said:
I pause. I don't time or anything, I just set a number in my head that I want to achieve. If I feel good, I do one or two extra and then resume. There's no need to rush or worry about time, just set a goal like Tony keeps saying.
Do this. Skipping the pull-ups and doing them after will not help. Sometimes the pull-ups alone are half of the workout, and you'll have the same issue anyway.

The pause button is there if any of you new to the program need it, just remember that when you are starting out or planning out how you will get your workouts done. Also, the sets of moves are each their own little chapter on the DVD, so when you come back from the pull-ups you should be able to just skip to the next move.

Fixed1979

Articate said:

LOL wow at that article. I've never ready such anti-soy madness in all my life, all I can say is that I hope most people will do a lot more reading before taking something like that to heart. I'm not saying that there's no basis for some of their "theories" but that is extremism to the nth degree.

And that isn't aimed at you specifically, I know you said you did more reading and you're doing what works for you and that's cool.

Anyhoo today is rest day after week 1. I'm looking forward to getting home and doing some stretches, it feels like every muscle is sore today. Looking forward to week 2, now that I know what's coming I have a better idea of when and where I can push myself. I found I was a little apprehensive starting off just because I didn't know what was coming and I didn't want to overdo it.

duk

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
LOL wow at that article. I've never ready such anti-soy madness in all my life, all I can say is that I hope most people will do a lot more reading before taking something like that to heart. I'm not saying that there's no basis for some of their "theories" but that is extremism to the nth degree.

And that isn't aimed at you specifically, I know you said you did more reading and you're doing what works for you and that's cool.

Anyhoo today is rest day after week 1. I'm looking forward to getting home and doing some stretches, it feels like every muscle is sore today. Looking forward to week 2, now that I know what's coming I have a better idea of when and where I can push myself. I found I was a little apprehensive starting off just because I didn't know what was coming and I didn't want to overdo it.

Normal feeling to have, by week 3 or 4 you'll be hitting your stride.

Keep it up!

duk

Banned
hey question for the graduates... im curious if the last 4-5 weeks of the program you lose more of your gut? im wanna get rid of the all gut i can, gonna really try to eat good from now til the end.

Rocket786

duk said:
hey question for the graduates... im curious if the last 4-5 weeks of the program you lose more of your gut? im wanna get rid of the all gut i can, gonna really try to eat good from now til the end.

You will absolutely see the biggest improvement from your gut to just overall toning your body in the last phase. The program is pretty much designed around that. Don't sweat it, and keep it up. You will be happy with your end results!

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Everyone is different - you cannot pinpoint where u want to lose fat - the body sheds fat all over
This burn your gut faster stuff is bogus

Just finished Day 2 plyo. Gawd it was tough, but not as tough as I expected. I did pause and take my little breaks here and there but damn, pretty good workout. :D

Also......

ary4i.jpg

Lionheart1827 said:
Just finished Day 2 plyo. Gawd it was tough, but not as tough as I expected. I did pause and take my little breaks here and there but damn, pretty good workout. :D

Also......

I did that yesterday..Wait until tomorrow morning!

duk

Banned
hey guys, what should i be eating for the last phase?

im already eating pretty healthy not following diet guide verbatim however, but want to load up on the proteins.

I am eating lots of tuna, chicken, protein shakes, bars, fruits, nuts, almost each day.

Rocket786

duk said:
hey guys, what should i be eating for the last phase?

im already eating pretty healthy not following diet guide verbatim however, but want to load up on the proteins.

I am eating lots of tuna, chicken, protein shakes, bars, fruits, nuts, almost each day.

I never really followed the diet guide either, but ate healthy on my own. However, it is interesting that they recommend to actually eat less protein and up the complex carbs during the last phase of P90X. But like I said, I never really followed the guide. It seems like what you're eating now should be fine as well.

turnbuckle

Woohoo, finally got mine in the mail along with my exercise/yoga mat last night. Not sure if I'll start today or if I should just finish up my regular weekly exercise routine and switch to p90x on Monday. I started dieting Sunday and took a couple before pictures to keep me motivated. 198 lbs - I just decided to stop taking my prescribed adderall a little over a month ago and jumped 12 lbs in about 5 weeks. I feel better off it, but it was really a wake up call to get my dieting habits in order.

Anyways, this is gonna be fun. I'd love to get back down to about 180 by the end of the program. I definitely know it's doable so long as I maintain the diet side of the equation.

BrassMonkey1010 said:
I did that yesterday..Wait until tomorrow morning!

You are totally right. By the time I went to bed I started feeling soreness in my upper thighs and pelvis/groin area. Couldn't sleep on my back or stomach because it just put pressure on that, ughhh. And now in the morning my calves are sore as well. Damn you Tony!

turnbuckle

Decided to start tonight. I did a couple hours of rock climbing beforehand so that probably set me up for a bit of failure but damn this is killing me. I'm definitely taking a couple more breaks than what the video is giving me. Hopefully I'll be able to mostly keep up after a few weeks, but it's gonna take some work getting used to not taking a minute or so between sets. Ha ha this is very humbling to say the least.

Amory

I just did the shoulders and arms workout, and it really is shit if you're using the bands. Free weights seem like an absolute must for that particular one.

Amory

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i dont like the bands for any of them......

I dont either...but they at least weren't a huge distraction for the chest & back workout, they really got in the way for this one though.

I really want to get those dial-a-weight free weights, but they're so damn expensive.

Amory Blaine said:
I dont either...but they at least weren't a huge distraction for the chest & back workout, they really got in the way for this one though.

I really want to get those dial-a-weight free weights, but they're so damn expensive.
dude i know!! i have dumb bells and on some i had to stop.........change the weights......and start again.

then i go to my friends house and he had those. WAY more better. also the set Hex weights would be awesome..maybe some 20s, 30, 40, and 60 :)

Le-mo

I'm on my third week and just finished leg and back a while ago. Tomorrow I will hit the gym and do some benching then do kenpo x when I get home. I can't wait to finally finish the program.

Lionheart1827 said:

yeah plyo's a pretty intense one!

I find it funny how the muscles each program is supposed to target, differ from the ones that end up feeling sore.

Abripper X--> pelvis/groin sore. My lower body can't handle the exercise long before my abs start to burn.
Arms --> hands sore because they have more trouble holding the weights than my arms lifting them.
Not to mention, my lower back is often killing me while doing exercises.

Some parts of the program feel like a breeze (legs, kenpoX, ...) while others are brutal (back, shoulders, ...). It makes me want to alter the whole P90X program, focusing more on the upper body and less on the lower body. But I'll stick with it, because I'm sure I'd fuck up the whole premise of P90X (muscle confusion and the likes...). Although I do try to do the pullup bar exercises on more days than supposed to. When the program asks you to do 8 times a pullup bar exercise, but you end up doing only like 16 pullups/chinups in total in the end because you suck so much, I doubt shit will have any effect in the long run. So I do pullups more often until I'm able to get at least 5 pullups every time an exercise in the dvd's come up.

turnbuckle

So I started reading the book after doing the first day's workout. I didn't realize ab-ripper x was supposed to be done on day 1 too. Dammit, gonna have to work that in tonight. This is not going to be fun. I'm still pumped to start day 2 when I get out of work. Tony is just so damned motivating!

On Ab ripper days, do you guys do it right before/after the regular workout or do you spread the two out several hours apart? I don't think I would've had the strength to do abs last night even if I tried.

Rocket786

Amory Blaine said:

Ugh, I really want to get a pair of those BowFlex SelectTech adjustable dumbbells, and god forbid I looked on Amazon for them. Now freakin Amazon tempts me multiple times by sending me e-mails about those dumbbells just because I viewed them a couple times. Oooo, buy it now with one click... Oooo, have it in two days... Stop tempting me Amazon!

Wrekt

Check Craigslist. They weren't selectech but I got some adjustable Golds Gym dumbbells for under $200. Amazon was selling the same set for $400. They were purchased for a kid that used them for less than 2 weeks before he gave up so they still looked brand new.

That was 7 months ago and I've put them through hell since then, but it was probably the best $200 I've ever spent.

Today was the first day that I was able to make it all the way through Ab Ripper X without a heavy break (other than repositioning). A few weeks ago, I could not even do Crunchy Frog!

cubanb

Banned
After this week, I have two regular weeks in phase 3 and a recovery week. I am thinking of doing a round of insanity before my vacation in May and maybe going back to another round of p90x after. Or I may just hit the gym at that point.

Should I do the final recovery week for P90x or go straight into Insanity?

turnbuckle

Fuck Plyometrics!

Is this still just the warm-up? Second sets of running stance squats and i'm already feeling like an old man.

duk

Banned
turnbuckle said:
Fuck Plyometrics!

Is this still just the warm-up? Second sets of running stance squats and i'm already feeling like an old man.

haha ohhh yaaaa the mutha of all workouts!!!

turnbuckle

I'm sure glad that ended with some fun sports moves. I actually feel really great now that I got that done but man alive is that ever a workout. I'm sweating more now than I do on a 4 mile run (half run, half jog... lol)

X26

Banned
elitehebrew said:
Is there a cycle to which you are supposed to do these workouts?

There is, and it's pretty important. Generally it's:

Day 1 - resistance
Day 2 - cardio/core
Day 3 - resistance
Day 4 - cardio/core
Day 5 - resistance
Day 6 - cardio/core
Day 7 - rest

The actual workouts depend on what week you're on. Week 1 for example you do chest and back on day one.

Man not very proud of myself right now. Yoga X is such a pain in the ass, easily one of the worst. The stretches themselves arent bad, but seriously, my wrists felt like they were ready to rip out of my arms by the time I did my 6billionth visyana/upward dog thing. I seriously felt like I was going to injure myself

So I figure I'll just split them into 45 minute sessions each. First yoga day do first 45, next yoga do the 2nd 45min run of it.

Anybody else have this issue or substitute this with something else?

X26

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
Man not very proud of myself right now. Yoga X is such a pain in the ass, easily one of the worst. The stretches themselves arent bad, but seriously, my wrists felt like they were ready to rip out of my arms by the time I did my 6billionth visyana/upward dog thing. I seriously felt like I was going to injure myself

So I figure I'll just split them into 45 minute sessions each. First yoga day do first 45, next yoga do the 2nd 45min run of it.

You could substitute the workout with another power yoga workout. Don't have any recommendations myself, but I'm sure there's plenty of good dvd's or whatever out there you could choose from.

Lionheart1827 said:

I couldn't do all yoga x the other day. I did a half hour of it and then put the cardio dvd in.

duk

Banned
Replicant said:
To those of you who do the full program everyday, do you still have the time/energy to go to the gym? Or should I forget about going to the gym if I fully committed to this program?

P90x is the gym!

Unless you have just work/school and nothing else, sure hit the gym too.

Top Bottom