• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

-Babyteks- said:
I just started the program and did Yoga yesterday for the 1st time.
I actually have done yoga in the past and pilates and ashtanga but yesterday was just brutal.
Part of me is afraid to do it again, the other part feels like once I can do that routine easy-peasy, I'll be able to officially claim I'm in good shape.

Legs & back today.

Question - I'm not strictly following the P90X diet (it has a lot of lactose in it which I don't eat) but I am watching my intake - did/do you still lose weight without that?

I'm not following the diet book strictly, but I'm more taking the fundamentals and eating a lower carb, high protein diet. I've lost about 8 pounds and I'm in my 5th week(1st week of phase 2). Although I probably should be a little stricter, I'm still losing weight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
-Babyteks- said:
I actually have done yoga in the past and pilates and ashtanga but yesterday was just brutal.
Part of me is afraid to do it again, the other part feels like once I can do that routine easy-peasy, I'll be able to officially claim I'm in good shape.

Legs & back today.

Question - I'm not strictly following the P90X diet (it has a lot of lactose in it which I don't eat) but I am watching my intake - did/do you still lose weight without that?
The P90X diet plan isn't some kind of secret plan; results will vary, but if you intake less calories than you expend, you'll lose weight. If you eat buckets of fried chicken every day, you'll continue to get fatter, although possibly slower.

There's nothing about P90X that is particularly unique; it's a fairly standard diet plan and fairly standard (if more difficult than average) workouts.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Angry Grimace said:
The P90X diet plan isn't some kind of secret plan; results will vary, but if you intake less calories than you expend, you'll lose weight. If you eat buckets of fried chicken every day, you'll continue to get fatter, although possibly slower.

There's nothing about P90X that is particularly unique; it's a fairly standard diet plan and fairly standard (if more difficult than average) workouts.

Yeah I get that but I never budge weight-wise whether I eat salads or or stuff myself with hamburgers so I'm just wondering what people's results have been.
I'll see how it goes

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
-Babyteks- said:
Yeah I get that but I never budge weight-wise whether I eat salads or or stuff myself with hamburgers so I'm just wondering what people's results have been.
I'll see how it goes
The problem is, most people who are committed to going through the program aren't just eating hamburgers all day AND doing the program every night so I don't think you're going to find a lot of good answers. But I'll grant you it's a pretty common question within this thread, however. (Presumably because there are a lot of people who WANT to be in shape AND stuff themselves with hamburgers at the same time)

It's just not plausible you're going to get in shape AND stuff yourself with hamburgers because losing weight and getting into shape is more diet than exercise. I'd personally say that there's really no exercise program worth doing if you're insistent on eating like a pig.

It depends on your body type and what you're trying to do. Some people have extremely slow metabolism, and some people are just ectomorphs.

The thing about P90X is that the exercise routines are very intense and you'll find yourself unable to complete them if you're not eating right.

So if you're committed to the exercises, the diet will probably take care of itself.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Oh I just mentioned hamburgers as an example to say that my weight tends to be stable no matter what.
I'm definitely not stuffing myself nor do I want to.

Just did Legs & Back. I like that one and I'm starting to get some pull-ups in which is awesome :)

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
-Babyteks- said:

Legs & back today.

I ate almost anything I wanted on my first round through P90X and I lost 19 pounds.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
I ate almost anything I wanted on my first round through P90X and I lost 19 pounds.

Oh good.

Diablos said:
My friend is doing P90X. I haven't even considered it. Looks awfully intimidating. :/

I think it's worth a shot even if you only do 3-4 days a week on your first go round to get used to it.
& Horton isn't a trippy creepy host like a lot of these fitness video gurus are, who tell you to "SMILE THROUGH YOUR PAIN COME ON GUYS THIS IS FUUUN"

-Babyteks- said:
Oh good.

I think it's worth a shot even if you only do 3-4 days a week on your first go round to get used to it.
& Horton isn't a trippy creepy host like a lot of these fitness video gurus are, who tell you to "SMILE THROUGH YOUR PAIN COME ON GUYS THIS IS FUUUN"

Ya, Tony is cool. I'm on my third week of Insanity and Sean T just doesn't have the charisma Tony does.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Diablos said:
My friend is doing P90X. I haven't even considered it. Looks awfully intimidating. :/

It is really only intimidating if you make it intimidating.

You can be all hardcore about it and try to max your reps every time out. You can also set reasonable goals and complete the program at your own pace.

The nice thing about the program is that you do the same routine for 3 weeks before changing. It is very easy to set a goal for each week. Maybe you want to do 5 pushups of each variety for the first week, then you increase your goal to 7 for the next, and 10 for the third week. It is easy enough to track your progress and reevaluate your goals each week.

Even with the cardio workouts, you can easily scale it to your abilities. During Plyometrics, you do each movement for 30 seconds. If you are just starting, you can do each movement for 15 seconds, then add a few seconds each week until you are crushing the entire video by the end of 90 days.

For some reason, I find that turning the music off makes the workouts much more relaxing. I did Plyo last week without the music and it really didn't even seem that hard.

Angry Grimace

IGotBillySoSpooked said:
I ate right and have lost 11 through Phase 1 + the recovery week. Just saying. I don't think those results will keep up through P3, but I still think it shows how much more satisfying the results will be if you do the hardest part right.

alejob

OK, Im a little confused about the diet side of things.

I've lost about 12 pounds so far and I think I need to lose a little more and I'm doing so. The thing is I also really want to bulk up some and have more muscle definition. I wanna see my six pack dang it.

So in order to bulk up you need to eat more calories correct? But I still need to lose some fat.

So the question is, do I keep doing the diet to keep losing weight until my body fat % is where I need it to be for me to see abs/more muscle definition or do I start eating more now so muscles can grow and hope that the bf% goes down enough by the end of the program.

I'm 6'4", 195lbs. and starting week 2 of phase 2.

I guess the plan I have is to keep losing weight til the end of phase 2 and then I'll decide.

duk

Banned
The last 2 weeks have just been horrible because of moving to a new house which entailed remodeling, fixing this n that, buying this n that, dealing with internet, tv, etccccc.

Getting back in the game tonight. Hope you guys are doing well!

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
alejob said:

I've lost about 12 pounds so far and I think I need to lose a little more and I'm doing so. The thing is I also really want to bulk up some and have more muscle definition. I wanna see my six pack dang it.

So in order to bulk up you need to eat more calories correct? But I still need to lose some fat.

So the question is, do I keep doing the diet to keep losing weight until my body fat % is where I need it to be for me to see abs/more muscle definition or do I start eating more now so muscles can grow and hope that the bf% goes down enough by the end of the program.

I guess the plan I have is to keep losing weight til the end of phase 2 and then I'll decide.

If you're doing Ab Ripper X, the abs will be there, you just need to lose some more weight (I think).
Fuck, I'm the same height, and was hoping 195 was my magic # for abs to show. I'm at 215, and my original goal was 195, guess I'll drop it to 185. Would make it an even 150 pounds lost, which would be awesome though.

Just did week 6 chest, triceps, shoulders and ARX. I still cannot do Fifer Scissors for the life of me. I can hold the bottom leg however I cannot get my other leg high AT ALL, let alone get it straight up. Oy, but I do think I'm improving with ARX. My triceps are nice and sore tonight though :)

alejob said:

It's very difficult to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You need to decide if you want to focus on bulking up or losing fat, since you can't really do both at the same time.

It makes the most sense to bulk up first and then lose fat, because if you have a lot of muscle your metabolism will be faster which will allow fat loss to be easier. Not only that, but as you lose the fat, you'll have a lot of muscle start to show through.

The downside of bulking up is that you wiill likely gain some fat along with the muscle, since you need to be operating on a calorie surplus to make big muscle gains. But, if you don't mind gaining a few pounds of fat before losing a bunch of it, then this is the best route to go.

You're kind of far in the program at this point though. If I were you, I'd probably just keep doing what you're doing and then evaluate your results at day 90.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Angry Grimace said:
I ate right and have lost 11 through Phase 1 + the recovery week. Just saying. I don't think those results will keep up through P3, but I still think it shows how much more satisfying the results will be if you do the hardest part right.

Yeah, results are definitely going to be better if you follow the diet.

As I said, I lost 19 lbs without following the diet. I never thought I would lose that much weight, to be honest. I'm around 5'10" and weighed 183 at the start of my first round and ended up at 164. I had a decent bit of muscle mass at the beginning of the program, but I was a little "loose in the cage."

I started round 2 of P90X at 170 or so and I haven't really lost any weight. I got a set of PowerBlocks for round 2, though, so I've been lifting as heavy as possible at 8 reps each for a lot of the exercises. Maybe that has contribute to the weight issue. My abs are starting to show, so my body fat percentage seems to be dropping.

I didn't follow the diet because I don't really care how I look as much as I care about the strength and endurance results. I do eat relatively healthy, anyways, but I usually have pizza and a few sodas/beers every week or two. I snack a good bit at night, too. That is probably my biggest diet downfall.

rkn

Hey guys, I've fallen off the wagon! Been going through some trials, after half-hearted phase 2 week 3, didn't do any ab ripper x, skipped kenpo x, replacing yoga x with cardio x. Now I'm technically in recovery week, but haven't done jack for a few days. I feel weaker already!

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
So...It's 10pm here. Second week, chest and back today. I decided I didn't want to skip a day and then do double duty at another time or start over again.

Last week, I could hardly do 2 push ups in a row. This week I did 53 in total. The number is still puny but it feels good to have such improvement in just 7 days. And I can also lift my chin abover the pull up bar.

I look forward to seeing how much I've progressed at the end of the 90 days.

So just did Plyo week 6 and finally was able to keep up with them without pausing it at all. Of course I wasn't able to keep up with Dom, but either way, I'm proud of myself being able to push through the whole thing for the first time since I started. :)

a9Yoc.jpg

rkn said:
Hey guys, I've fallen off the wagon! Been going through some trials, after half-hearted phase 2 week 3, didn't do any ab ripper x, skipped kenpo x, replacing yoga x with cardio x. Now I'm technically in recovery week, but haven't done jack for a few days. I feel weaker already!

That's OK. It happens to the best of us. Now when you get back on track, you should have a renewed focus.

Lionheart1827 said:
So just did Plyo week 6 and finally was able to keep up with them without pausing it at all. Of course I wasn't able to keep up with Dom, but either way, I'm proud of myself being able to push through the whole thing for the first time since I started. :)

Good job, man. I just finished week 11 of Plyo today, and I still have to take about 4 extra 30 second breaks towards the end.

D23

getting back to p90x now, this will be my 2nd round..
my body is sore from day 1.. i forgot how intense the workout are :( now im about to do plyo :(

Articate

Banned
Ok, so - today I'm just dead. I'm still pretty sore after the first day, and my legs are killing me - I didn't do plyo yesterday, because I couldn't be jumping around in my appartment without tearing down the neighbours under me's place - I have a plan for that, but I did some HIIT yesterday with some leg-presses. But today, I'm not just sore it seems. I sort of want to skip today since I'm not just sore, to be sure I'm not overdoing anything. Has anyone else had to do the same? If I do skip it, I was thinking about doing Yoga X, but then I'd have Shoulder's and Arms and Ab Ripper X and then the next day I'd have Legs and back and ab ripper X. Should I delay everything a day? Should I just push through?

Marius_ said:
So after a 2 week absence, I gone back to it. Redoing phase 1.

About this; I did it for 3 weeks until I got this wicked pain in my right wrist, so I stopped. Then spring break rolled around...so I slacked off and stopped to let my wrist heal (excuses, excuses).

My question is this: if you start and stop again, like Marius or myself, will that affect your overall muscle growth?

traveler

Not Wario
I'm still scared to start this. I ended up starting the p90 program about 2 months ago and have dropped from around 230 pounds to 195, following the diet and exercise routine almost to the letter. (My height is 6'1" for reference) I still don't have an easy time with the phase 2 p90 stuff, though, (especially the push-up sets and some of the cardio) so I'm not sure moving on to x is appropriate. Does anybody else have any experience going from fairly out of shape to the p90 routine to starting p90x?

williamsan said:
About this; I did it for 3 weeks until I got this wicked pain in my right wrist, so I stopped. Then spring break rolled around...so I slacked off and stopped to let my wrist heal (excuses, excuses).

My question is this: if you start and stop again, like Marius or myself, will that affect your overall muscle growth?

It really depends on the individual, but I remember reading somewhere that after about 3 weeks after you stopped the activity, like weight lifting, results "may" begin to reverse. I dont know how true it is, but, you may have lost some physical strength generally and when you restart the program you will probably be sore again. It really does depend on your body, diet, and your physical activity after you stopped.

traveler said:
I'm still scared to start this. I ended up starting the p90 program about 2 months ago and have dropped from around 230 pounds to 195, following the diet and exercise routine almost to the letter. (My height is 6'1" for reference) I still don't have an easy time with the phase 2 p90 stuff, though, (especially the push-up sets and some of the cardio) so I'm not sure moving on to x is appropriate. Does anybody else have any experience going from fairly out of shape to the p90 routine to starting p90x?

I would finish P90 and see how good you feel. I started P90x completely out of shape, it sucks at first, but if you're already used to a exercise regimen, it probably wont be so bad. I would say just finish P90 and move into P90x.

bionic77

traveler said:
I would recommend moving up to X.

It will definitely kick your ass for about 3 weeks, but if you keep at it your body will adjust and you will get some awesome results after 3 months.

I was not in good shape at all when I started P90X last year (I could barely do 3-5 pullups and Plyo turned my legs into Jello), but after 3-5 weeks I found myself finishing each and every workout and steadily improving every week.

I am about as tall as you and I have a small frame. I started out at around 207 and finished up at 175. Gut had totally disappeared and noticed the biggest difference in my back (dramatic change for just 90 days). Honestly I would have had even better results if I had been better about following the diet (not so much in weight loss, but in ab definition).

Tyrion81

Neo Member
Lionheart1827 said:
I would finish P90 and see how good you feel. I started P90x completely out of shape, it sucks at first, but if you're already used to a exercise regimen, it probably wont be so bad. I would say just finish P90 and move into P90x.

Finally contributing to this thread, as I am at the end of week 5. I hadn't done a damn thing as far as exercise goes in about three years and jumped right into p90x. What he says about doing your best and forgetting the rest is true. I may not be able to keep up with them just yet, or be able to do all the reps that they do yet either, but I am progressing and getting steadily better, and the wife says she can already see improvements. I'm 5'10", 215 lbs for reference. It's really up to you but it is possible to jump right in and go.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Articate said:
Ok, so - today I'm just dead. I'm still pretty sore after the first day, and my legs are killing me - I didn't do plyo yesterday, because I couldn't be jumping around in my appartment without tearing down the neighbours under me's place - I have a plan for that, but I did some HIIT yesterday with some leg-presses. But today, I'm not just sore it seems. I sort of want to skip today since I'm not just sore, to be sure I'm not overdoing anything. Has anyone else had to do the same? If I do skip it, I was thinking about doing Yoga X, but then I'd have Shoulder's and Arms and Ab Ripper X and then the next day I'd have Legs and back and ab ripper X. Should I delay everything a day? Should I just push through?

I'd push through.

I did Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X yesterday in addition to a full APFT (max situps and pushups, plus 2 mile run) and didn't feel like I was overdoing it.

You're working different muscles today than you did on Monday and yesterday, so you should be OK. If you feel like you are overdoing it, just use less weight. Work through it, though.

Articate

Banned
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
I'd push through.

I did Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper X yesterday in addition to a full APFT (max situps and pushups, plus 2 mile run) and didn't feel like I was overdoing it.

You're working different muscles today than you did on Monday and yesterday, so you should be OK. If you feel like you are overdoing it, just use less weight. Work through it, though.

Only problem is that the front of my hips right at the joint to the pelvis, those tendons or something hurt a lot today. I'm barely able to walk and it's not just soreness. I've been stretching since last night and haven't been able to get past the pain. I bothered me when I slept. I took an anti-inflamatory and a painkiller for it. I think I'll have to monitor this one. I'll definitely leave out Ab Ripper today. I'm day 3 and a beginner :p

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Articate said:
Only problem is that the front of my hips right at the joint to the pelvis, those tendons or something hurt a lot today. I'm barely able to walk and it's not just soreness. I've been stretching since last night and haven't been able to get past the pain. I bothered me when I slept. I took an anti-inflamatory and a painkiller for it. I think I'll have to monitor this one. I'll definitely leave out Ab Ripper today. I'm day 3 and a beginner :p

Sounds like hip flexor soreness, which is a result of Ab Ripper X.

Is this where it hurts?

hip-pain-hip-flexor.jpg

dankir

Heading into the end of Week 13. Lost about 12 lbs overall lots more definition since starting.

I think I'm going to redo the entire final 4 weeks over, missed a lot of workouts due to Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 lol.

I gotta say I really dig Pam after seeing all these chicks in the videos, she's hot! She can investigate me anytime :p

Articate

Banned
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Sounds like hip flexor soreness, which is a result of Ab Ripper X.

Is this where it hurts?

hip-pain-hip-flexor.jpg

Yup. But it wasn't as much "delayed onset soreness" as it was "delayed onset pain", and I didn't wake up to it the day after the Ab Ripper X, but rather after running yesterday.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Articate said:
Yup. But it wasn't as much "delayed onset soreness" as it was "delayed onset pain", and I didn't wake up to it the day after the Ab Ripper X, but rather after running yesterday.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to skip Ab Ripper X, then.

Running on top of P90X is pretty tough. I used to run 3x a week while doing P90X, but it just got to be too much. I stopped for a good 3-4 weeks, then dropped down to twice a week. How often do you run?

Articate

Banned
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to skip Ab Ripper X, then.

Running on top of P90X is pretty tough. I used to run 3x a week while doing P90X, but it just got to be too much. I stopped for a good 3-4 weeks, then dropped down to twice a week. How often do you run?

I did HIIT in substitution for the Plyo yesterday :)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
LETS GET MOVING AND GROOVING

GERMAN POTATO SOUP

Sorry, I did P90X about a year ago and loved it - was in the best shape of my life. I am just starting week 2 of it again, need to get back into shape, and I really enjoy it this time around(except for yoga and abs).

I lost about 20 lbs last year using the diet too.

Oh and I am no expert, but from speaking from experience, don't worry about the daily weight thing, if you are taking supplements, eating a ton of protein and drinking all that water, you are going to show some "artificial" weight - but you are actually losing more weight than you think.

Articate said:

Yeah I remember my first Plyo day I was like alright, not sore yet. But about 13 hours later when I went to bed, I layed on my back and holy shit my pelvis muscles/tendons/whatever is down there were REALLY sore. Had to sleep on my sides to ease the pain. It'll get better though. :)

wizard341

Articate said:

Do your best and forget the rest!

D23

GashPrex said:
LETS GET MOVING AND GROOVING

GERMAN POTATO SOUP

Sorry, I did P90X about a year ago and loved it - was in the best shape of my life. I am just starting week 2 of it again, need to get back into shape, and I really enjoy it this time around(except for yoga and abs).

I lost about 20 lbs last year using the diet too.

Oh and I am no expert, but from speaking from experience, don't worry about the daily weight thing, if you are taking supplements, eating a ton of protein and drinking all that water, you are going to show some "artificial" weight - but you are actually losing more weight than you think.

very true, i lost about 20 pounds as well on my first go at P90x. i eat whatever i want but in moderation, and water. i probably drink 2 gallon of water everyday lol

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Articate said:
I did HIIT in substitution for the Plyo yesterday :)

Oh, right.

Maybe that is the problem? Did you just run yesterday for the first time in a long time? Strenuous running like HIIT could cause some problems, especially if you just blasted your hip flexor area the day before during Ab Ripper X.

Articate

Banned
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Oh, right.

Maybe that is the problem? Did you just run yesterday for the first time in a long time? Strenuous running like HIIT could cause some problems, especially if you just blasted your hip flexor area the day before during Ab Ripper X.

Yup. In hindsight it seems likely. I just figured HIIT would be the closest I could come to plyo - soon I'm gonna do the Shoulders & Arms. Excited! Meanwhile I'm laying on the couch with some icepackets on my hips playing Bayonetta :>

Articate

Banned
Done with the Shoulder & Arm workout. Man, I LOVE TONY! Shit is frickin' awesome!

I'm hooked. Glad I passed on the Ab Ripper X today, though - Gonna come back more furiously on day 5!

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
sefskillz said:
fucking yoga day. all day long ive been dreaming of the moment i hear tony say 'last vinyasa'

Did yoga today, as well. I'm on Week 12 and since I'll be doing Yoga X twice next week, I decided to go with Fountain of Youth Yoga from the Tony Horton One on One DVD series. It is a touch over 45 minutes, but it is a killer video.

You have to do a chair pose 3-4 different times throughout the video. I think it is the third chair pose that is the craziest. You are in chair for like 30 seconds, then, while still down in chair, you rotate over to twisting chair pose for another 20-30 seconds. From there, you stay down and rotate back over to the other side for twisting chair pose. Finally, you rotate back to the middle for one final chair pose for another 20-30 seconds. You're in chair for at least two minutes straight. My whole body was shaking by the end of that sequence.

I skipped my rest day this past Sunday because I won't be able to workout this weekend and I had a physical fitness test yesterday, so I'm extra rickety as it is. All the chair poses definitely finished my legs. Legs & Back is going to be nuts tomorrow.

Top Bottom