• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

duk

Banned
DR3AM said:
1 more, real quick

how important is the diet?

diet is 50% of the game, u def should eat better if you're doing any work out regiment

ive cut all chips, soda, fast food, etc from my diet

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
DR3AM said:
quick questions

1. if i buy p90x from craigslist, will i miss out on something?

2. how long is the longest/shortest workout?

3. if weights are needed, is 20 - 25 pounds ok?

I started off with a 40 lb CAP dumbbell set ($40 on Amazon), which basically results in two 20 lb dumbbells. I had no problems using those dumbbells exclusively throughout my whole first round of P90X. I was doing 15+ reps of each exercise by the end, though.

I also had an old set of 5 lb dumbbells and a set of 10 lb dumbbells for 2-3 of the shoulder and/or tricep exercises.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure you would get the same effect if you changed weights after every exercise using the CAP set. It takes forever to change weights and you'd have to pause a ton to change weights. I found myself just using 20 lbs on every single exercise. I think I started off at 15 lbs for the first two weeks, then I was at 20 for the next 10 or whatever.

I'm on my last workout of my second time through P90X - Yoga tomorrow on what turned out to be Day 91. Core Syn kicked my ass tonight.

DR3AM said:
1 more, real quick

how important is the diet?

Very important.

If you have really bad eating habits (soda, alcohol, fast food, junk food, candy/chocolate, pizza, oreos) all the time, its time to make a change. Sounds hard but you gotta cut most of that out and start eating healthier. Sure every once and awhile you can have that stuff(youd prob go insane not having cheat days), but 90% of your meals should be healthy lean food. The diet guide that comes with the program makes it easy if you're not good at making stuff. Little confusing at first, but you'll get it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
duk said:
diet is 50% of the game, u def should eat better if you're doing any work out regiment

ive cut all chips, soda, fast food, etc from my diet
I had a huge burger today.

I'm gonna be honest. Totally worth it. I didn't get to eat the rest of the day though, out of guilt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Keyvan said:
hey, I'm thinking about starting p90x.
I don't need to lose weight, in fact I'm underweight, I am 185cm tall and weight 65 k. but I really need to exercise and I can't go to gym. I'm not fit at all and I was wondering if I should start right away or should I take a week or two to do some of the trainings and become familiar with them, and I know that I won't be able to do the number they say, so what should I do?
If you have the discs, I would recommend working through Cardio X a few times before starting to build up a little cardiovascular stamina. I didn't do this and made it about halfway through Day 2 Plyo and felt like dying.

Articate

Banned
DR3AM said:
quick questions

1. if i buy p90x from craigslist, will i miss out on something?

2. how long is the longest/shortest workout?

3. if weights are needed, is 20 - 25 pounds ok?

I'm in week 2, and this week I did a lot of stuff around 15-25 lbs. The highest recorded this week was 25 lbs on lawnmower, but that wasn't enough. I can currently make 35 lbs dumbells. When that's not enough I'll just go downtown and buy 4x10 lbs discs.

Just wanted to say that my wife started PX90 2 months ago after seeing me do it for a couple months and has limited herself to 900-1000 calories a day. She has lot 40+ pounds and is on her way to get to her goal weight. She has never found a system that works for her but she is kicking ass with this. She is doing it 2x a day sometimes.

Angry Grimace said:
I had a huge burger today.

I'm gonna be honest. Totally worth it. I didn't get to eat the rest of the day though, out of guilt.

Should be totally worth it man, one burger, hell even 3 wont kill ya. I'd prob go insane if I didnt have cheat days.

I had chicken parmagian last friday, and then I ate the leftovers for lunch next day. :)

grumble

LovingSteam said:
Just wanted to say that my wife started PX90 2 months ago after seeing me do it for a couple months and has limited herself to 900-1000 calories a day. She has lot 40+ pounds and is on her way to get to her goal weight. She has never found a system that works for her but she is kicking ass with this. She is doing it 2x a day sometimes.

She lost 40+ pounds?! In two months?! That's an insane weight loss speed.

grumble said:
She lost 40+ pounds?! In two months?! That's an insane weight loss speed.

Yea man. She has been kicking ass. Its been amazing. We've been married almost 6 years and she has wanted to lose weight for awhile, just never stuck. But she has turned into a machine. Watching EVERYTHING eats. Using weights. PX90 every night, even if its 1AM. I have to beg her now to have a cheat day.

Angry Grimace

LovingSteam said:
900 calories per day is a pretty extreme extreme deficit for anyone other than a child, particularly with P90X (doubles!) at the same time.

Also, there's something about the Dreya Roll that causes me to just fart right during the getting up part on the first couple of attempts. My wife just gets super pissed off, but I can't help it. *shrug*

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Finished my second round of P90X last night on day 91. Final weight is 165.7 lbs. I think I started at like 171-173.

I'm going to take a week doing some more traditional workouts, then probably start back up with a mix of P90X, One on One workouts, a few CrossFit workouts, and P90X+. I'll do something different every week, basically. I'm still going to do Ab Ripper X on MWF each week, though.

Angry Grimace said:
900 calories per day is a pretty extreme extreme deficit for anyone other than a child, particularly with P90X (doubles!) at the same time.

Also, there's something about the Dreya Roll that causes me to just fart right during the getting up part on the first couple of attempts. My wife just gets super pissed off, but I can't help it. *shrug*
i hear lift off and i think space shuttle

gcubed

I3rand0 said:
I did that for the first time yesterday. That workout is no joke. I'm really liking the Phase 2 Workouts more than Phase 1.

just starting phase 2 today. I've also learned not to pay attention to the scale with p90x. I've lost say... 5lbs or so, but i've lost 2 inches off of my waist and chest.

andycapps

LovingSteam said:

Uh, that doesn't sound healthy, at all. It's good that she's losing weight, but that's almost too much, too soon. Eating 1k or less calories while doing 1 or two intense workouts a day? No wonder she's lost that much.

I'm starting P90X tonight, have done a couple days of it before but that was only X Stretch. Posted in the other workout thread but I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, looking to get leaner and down to 180-200. Wanting to get rid of love handles and my gut. I'm in 38X34's and would like to get back to being in 34x34's, lower than that is probably not possible due to my frame but I looked good when I was in 34's.

Probably not following P90X diet to a T but will be reducing carbs quite a bit while raising protein intake substantially.

I've been done with P90x for about a month now and I've managed so far to maintain my current weight by playing basketball 3 times a week+ ab ripper afterwards and one day of yoga (I hate it but boy is it sure critical). I've had chronic ankle problems for almost a decade now (fractured it 3 years ago too) and for the first time since HS, I haven't had to wear ankle braces while playing basketball. The weight loss (dropped 20 lbs) along with the leg workouts/plyo/yoga has really improved my balance/leg strength and coordination. I'm planning to go back on it in September again but this time I'm going to follow the regiment down to the T with an emphasis on heavier weights. The bands are decent but I think I'm going to invest in some dumbells as there were definitely some exercises that didn't feel right at all (crouching condon curls and seated two angle back flys).

gcubed

andycapps said:
Uh, that doesn't sound healthy, at all. It's good that she's losing weight, but that's almost too much, too soon. Eating 1k or less calories while doing 1 or two intense workouts a day? No wonder she's lost that much.

I'm starting P90X tonight, have done a couple days of it before but that was only X Stretch. Posted in the other workout thread but I'm 6'1" 220 lbs, looking to get leaner and down to 180-200. Wanting to get rid of love handles and my gut. I'm in 38X34's and would like to get back to being in 34x34's, lower than that is probably not possible due to my frame but I looked good when I was in 34's.

Probably not following P90X diet to a T but will be reducing carbs quite a bit while raising protein intake substantially.

i'm 6'8 and was 280 when i started. The lowest i got to ever for me was 260 and i was skinny, but that was solely from bball and running and had very little muscle. After 30 days i'm down to 275, but as i said before, lost inches... i keep my carbs somewhat low, but a decent amount of protein a day. I dont care about what i weigh if i look and feel better as i know my flab is getting replaced by muscle.

andycapps

gcubed said:
i'm 6'8 and was 280 when i started. The lowest i got to ever for me was 260 and i was skinny, but that was solely from bball and running and had very little muscle. After 30 days i'm down to 275, but as i said before, lost inches... i keep my carbs somewhat low, but a decent amount of protein a day. I dont care about what i weigh if i look and feel better as i know my flab is getting replaced by muscle.

That's kind of where I'm at too, though I would like to get closer to 200. The main thing is I'd like to lose 4 inches, with that my gut should take a hike as well. I also know that the gut and love handles are the hardest part to get rid of so as I go I may end up doing a little more cardio. We'll see how it goes. I'm taking back the chinup bar I got a while back as you have to physically mount it, and I want to see if I can exchange it for one that hangs, as well as that you can use for pushups. Still in the box so shouldn't be an issue.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Going to start round 2 of p90x tonight. I finished round 1 last August on my last day of work. Since then I have been unemployed for 7 months until last week; needless to say I put back on the 20 lbs I lost my first time through and more.
As for those asking about diet, it is important, but you don't have to go all out like some here would have you think. My goal was to eat healthy during the week and then eat average on the weekend. Diets don't work, you have to change the way you eat all the time, so I go for healthy lunches and dinners most if the week and allow some junk on weekends so I don't go crazy. Lost 20 lbs doing that the first time. :)

Articate

Banned
The biggest focus on a diet should be to make it sustainable. Just the last week my mind took my body at gun-point and demanded to be served a sub sandwich. I gave it a nice whole wheat sub, home made, with cheese, ham, lettuce, butter, cucomber and bell-pepper. It's been grateful and cooperative ever since. If you're going for a low-carb diet, don't force yourself to do it. Just think "this is my goal" and find out if you're able to get a plan that keeps you sane. I was so low on carb to begin with that I was going crazy. Now I'm down to allowing myself 20-40g of carbs before and after the workout. Because the body needs some carbs. The brain needs them. Other than that, if your cheats are in the form of a cheat meal and some cheat snacks occationally, you'll do good. If you allow yourself to go to an 'all you can eat' buffet and stuff your face for an hour, you're likely to fall out of it.

The important part is that a Snickers on one day and some extra carb another day won't make you gain pounds. If your diet is SUPER strict, and you're not used to having a super strict diet, you'll find yourself in a stressful and hard to cope with situation. If you cheat enough to reduce your weightloss by 10-20%, you're still on your way to losing a HUGE amount by week 13. Losing 2-3 pounds a week is max advisable, so if you lose 2.5 pounds a week for 13 weeks, that'll amount to 32,5 pounds in 90 days. (I'm talking from the perspective of a somewhat fit person starting the program. I don't know if excess fat will allow for losing more pounds per week).

Steady is the way to go. If you feel you're going insane, you most likely will break free from your diet one day because it'll be too hard to cope with. If you constrain yourself to 'tiny relapses', you can get your body into the groove of a different diet. If you force it into a low carb diet from day 1, you might last two weeks before you just go Hulk and sit down with a huge chocolate, chips and dip and a big bottle of coke. If you have one chocolate in those two weeks, some carrots and some light dip and a small bottle of diet coke, you're not gonna bounce back several pounds. You're gonna be a happy person with a happy body. Compromise!

Of course, this is not to say that you should allow yourself this amount of crap per week. If you do need to have something that's not on your plan, do it in the healthiest way you can. There's no reason not to get some whole wheat bread at least. And find healthy snacks that help you stay sane during normal days. I love my beef jerky.

I've also heard of adverse health effects by "yo-yo'ing" your weight. It's not healthy. If you can't maintain a healthy diet once you're done with the P90X, you've done something wrong throughout the 90 days. You can't lean back on day 91 and eat like crap with a good conscience. You've made the commitment to get healthy, and hopefully stay there. Don't restrict yourself and lock yourself away from things you find your body CRAVES. Because the craving will not go away by locking it out for 90 days. You'll just relapse and get all the unhealthy shit you used to. I eye some chocolates I used to have before I started sometimes when I'm in the store. I check how I feel about it. Maybe I think "ugh. No thanks" or maybe I go "hmm, it'd feel liberating to have one of those". If the latter thought gets dominant, it's about time to give it that thing. But maybe just half, if it's a sizable chocolate? You're not at war with your mind here. When it craves something it is probably due to poor habits, but it might also be because you've cut out too much of one part of your diet. Your body knows what it needs. If it used to get fats through unhealthy things, and you're now not getting enough fats (yes, the body needs those, too), it'll start craving the stuff that has the fat it needs. And that's unhealthy things. Then it's time to teach the body that those things can come from other, better alternatives.

Angry Grimace

Gully State said:
I also love beef jerky (and its turkey cousin as well) but it's so damn expensive for what little you get of it. Any recommendations?
You can make your own, but honestly, fuck that, lol.

I still plug away at my Premier nutrition bars that they *used* to sell at Costco, but that I now have to order over Amazon.

alejob

So my knee is feeling much better. I did go swimming on Saturday instead of Kempo X and I think that is going to work much better. Yesterday I went to the gym and did some weights, mostly machines. Did that cuz I didn't do anything friday on my legs and back day.

Did yoga x today, first day of recovery week. The knee felt ok. I will keep bringing it and hopefully my knee will behave.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Angry Grimace said:
I still plug away at my Premier nutrition bars that they *used* to sell at Costco, but that I now have to order over Amazon.
just got a box of these at sams club last weekend, they're great. i was on the clif protein bars for awhile, but the premier nutrition ones are the best protein/calorie ratio ive come across and taste pretty good too

Week 2 now of phase one, just done chest and back
I failed hard and had to do a fair amount of the push ups on my knees, oh well, next week I aim to do better
Tomorrow is plyo, I like plyo

Articate

Banned
Gully State said:
I also love beef jerky (and its turkey cousin as well) but it's so damn expensive for what little you get of it. Any recommendations?

I'm in Norway, and it's expensive as shit here, too. But I actually ordered some online from a Estonian dealer, or thereabouts. Took under a week to reach me. A lot less expensive. Maybe not the best jerky I've had, but I love just chewing on some here and there. It's impossible to stuff your face with that!

http://www.buybeefjerkyonline.com/catalog/
That's where I got it. 50g is 3€. I like the Smoked. The others taste kinda too salty. Also, I don't get the difference between original and classic :p

BlazingDarkness said:
Week 2 now of phase one, just done chest and back
I failed hard and had to do a fair amount of the push ups on my knees, oh well, next week I aim to do better
Tomorrow is plyo, I like plyo

Plyo is like my favorite workout now. It kicks your ass so hard, you really cannot go wrong with it.

Question for some other veteran P90xers:

Does anyone do any of your own type of workout during the Recovery week? Sometimes I feel like I have a ton of energy that is going to waste during the recovery week and I feel I need to push myself a bit harder. Does anyone do Ab ripper on M/W/F? or throw in a plyo somewhere? Just wondering.

Angry Grimace

sefskillz said:
just got a box of these at sams club last weekend, they're great. i was on the clif protein bars for awhile, but the premier nutrition ones are the best protein/calorie ratio ive come across and taste pretty good too
Yeah, but I always dread the double chocolate ones. They're just too thick. :D

@LovingSteam; I dont' think it's necessarily a problem that your GF is doing a calorie restricted diet. They WORK, but I'd be worried that will lower her metabolism in the long term such that eating virtually anything bad will be retained as fat, which just ends up as a big circle where you end up crash dieting again, which is long term unhealthy.

I think calorie cycling might be a good way to avoid that, although obviously I'm no nutritionist. (Meaning, you pick a calorie threshold; i.e. 1400, and then cycle that every 2 weeks with a lower threshold, i.e. 1100 )

Insanity arrived on my doorstep today. I'll be trying it out in a bit.

Hopefully I can find a good way to integrate Insanity with some of the good P90X resistance workouts.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Lionheart1827 said:
Plyo is like my favorite workout now. It kicks your ass so hard, you really cannot go wrong with it.

Question for some other veteran P90xers:

Does anyone do any of your own type of workout during the Recovery week? Sometimes I feel like I have a ton of energy that is going to waste during the recovery week and I feel I need to push myself a bit harder. Does anyone do Ab ripper on M/W/F? or throw in a plyo somewhere? Just wondering.

I'll do Kenpo Cardio from P90X+ every so often instead of the normal Kenpo video. For one, it is about 20 minutes shorter. It is also a much better workout.

Besides that, I like doing Yoga twice and Core Synergistics twice. Core Synergistics really kicks my ass after first water break. Those prison cell push-ups completely wipe me out.

BertramCooper said:
Insanity arrived on my doorstep today. I'll be trying it out in a bit.

Hopefully I can find a good way to integrate Insanity with some of the good P90X resistance workouts.

I think there is a plan on Fit Bomb that incorporates P90X and Insanity.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just finished workout 1 on my second P90x go-through. I finished my first last year the day I was let go from my job. Needless to say 7 months of unemployment (started a new job last Monday) + sitting on my ass job hunting + winter did not do me well. Gained about 25 lbs (lost 20 lbs first P90x run) so i need to shed weight again.

Although I will say this time was much better than my original day 1 last year. Didn't come close to my end day, but getting better. I = dead.

We need an Insanity thread... So I finished my first month and I'm on the recovery week. I'm really digging the program so far. I've already seen results in my abs, chest legs and buttocks :) At first I thought Shaun T. didn't have the charisma that Tony does but he's really grown on me. I've actually been including Cardio Abs in my recovery week. Anyone else do other exercises that week? I'm starting to fear what's to come in the next month. :)

gcubed

Finished first day of week 5, sooo much better then first group... no repeats is nice, and just when I was able to handle the workouts I get my ass kicked. Slow pushups = screw you Tony

rkn

gcubed said:
Finished first day of week 5, sooo much better then first group... no repeats is nice, and just when I was able to handle the workouts I get my ass kicked. Slow pushups = screw you Tony

And up for 1.. 2.. 3.. 4, and down for 1.. 2.. 3.. 4..

Hot damn, start of Phase 3, really missed Chest & Back, what feels good is remembering back when I first started, I couldn't do even 1 dive bomber push-up, was able to bust out 7 of em with decent form that's after doing all the other pushups with ~12-15 reps! Still can't top the 20-30 those guys do. Pretty amazing how much progress you see yourself making. Feeling motivated again, just need to reign the diet back in. Bring it!

Woo baby. Insanity is...well...insane. Plyometric Cardio Circuit definitely kicks the crap out of Plyo X.

And Shaun T. is a nice change from Tony. He's all business, which I appreciate.

And holy crap, the ladies in Insanity are smoking hot.

Articate

Banned
DMPrince said:
what do i do if i don't have any protein shake? do people follow the food guide or use their judgement? ;o

There's tonns to be gained by monitoring your diet strictly. If you 'use your judgement' and don't really think about it, you might be in the danger of not getting all the energy you need. Or conversely, if you prepare a healthy meal, then just eat what you want, suddenly you might be over your caloric need for the day without even knowing it. It is a bit tedius, but once you've started to do it, you'll get a great overview of the things you normally eat, and then you'll be of to a great start, and it's not that tedius from there. Just lots to be gained from knowing what's really going into your body and how your body reacts. It's an art as much as a science to lose weight properly.

gcubed

Articate said:
There's tonns to be gained by monitoring your diet strictly. If you 'use your judgement' and don't really think about it, you might be in the danger of not getting all the energy you need. Or conversely, if you prepare a healthy meal, then just eat what you want, suddenly you might be over your caloric need for the day without even knowing it. It is a bit tedius, but once you've started to do it, you'll get a great overview of the things you normally eat, and then you'll be of to a great start, and it's not that tedius from there. Just lots to be gained from knowing what's really going into your body and how your body reacts. It's an art as much as a science to lose weight properly.

My wife does weight watchers and ever since they changed their formula a few months ago its more in line with what I'd expect and is an easy way to keep me in line. The only meals I eat on my own is at work so as long as I'm safe there I'm good.

BertramCooper said:
Woo baby. Insanity is...well...insane. Plyometric Cardio Circuit definitely kicks the crap out of Plyo X.

And Shaun T. is a nice change from Tony. He's all business, which I appreciate.

And holy crap, the ladies in Insanity are smoking hot.

This. Tonya annoys me but her body is BANANAS. I also like Rachel and Ariel.

Angry Grimace

gcubed said:
I felt like dying on those today.

andycapps

Did the first day of P90X last night, I think I did fairly well. My biggest problem is I don't have a ton of endurance now, so for the first 15-20 minutes I did well, after that I would do about half of the time what they did, the rest was standing and stretching. I went through about 32-40 oz of water over the course of chest and back, and ab ripper. The ab ripper disc was killer after being sapped of energy from the first workout, and at that point I was trying to do everything they did but I just couldn't do all of it yet. And I know that that is normal, especially in the first week and phase so I didn't let it get me down. Point was, I definitely felt it and my heart rate was up the entire 1- 1 1/2 hours. Did my protein shake afterwards, felt good man.

Tonight is Plyo. Not sure whether I should be dreading it or not. Bad thing is my mother in law's bday party is tonight so that means steak, mashed potatoes with cheese on them, green beans, and ice cream cake. I know I can do the steak and green beans, maybe a small spoon of mashed potatoes. Sweets are my downfall and that ice cream cake will be tempting.

andycapps said:
Did the first day of P90X last night, I think I did fairly well. My biggest problem is I don't have a ton of endurance now, so for the first 15-20 minutes I did well, after that I would do about half of the time what they did, the rest was standing and stretching. I went through about 32-40 oz of water over the course of chest and back, and ab ripper. The ab ripper disc was killer after being sapped of energy from the first workout, and at that point I was trying to do everything they did but I just couldn't do all of it yet. And I know that that is normal, especially in the first week and phase so I didn't let it get me down. Point was, I definitely felt it and my heart rate was up the entire 1- 1 1/2 hours. Did my protein shake afterwards, felt good man.

Tonight is Plyo. Not sure whether I should be dreading it or not. Bad thing is my mother in law's bday party is tonight so that means steak, mashed potatoes with cheese on them, green beans, and ice cream cake. I know I can do the steak and green beans, maybe a small spoon of mashed potatoes. Sweets are my downfall and that ice cream cake will be tempting.

Make sure you eat that stuff way before/after doing plyo, because you will cramp up and die in a pile on the floor if you eat just before starting

And chances are you will be burnt out in plyo after 25 minutes or so, you need a lot more endurance for it than on the day one exercise. Enjoy ;p

andycapps

BlazingDarkness said:
Make sure you eat that stuff way before/after doing plyo, because you will cramp up and die in a pile on the floor if you eat just before starting

And chances are you will be burnt out in plyo after 25 minutes or so, you need a lot more endurance for it than on the day one exercise. Enjoy ;p

Yeah I won't be eating anything before.. that'll be later. I think I'll workout about 5, do my shake right after, then will probably eat around 6:30 or 7 tonight..

Forgot to mention that last night when I was standing and stretching and had no more energy that I was trying not to throwup as well. Haha

Will the transition from P90 to P90M then on to P90X be a sufficient road to take? I'm on the P90 at the moment, and it's giving me a good sweat each night, especially the 1-2 sculpting.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
andycapps said:

don't eat the ice cream cake.

Or do, and just quit trying to get fit.

andycapps said:

Oh boy. Just make sure you dont have anything sitting in your stomach by the time you do your plyo tonight. A lot of people here and people I know have thrown up doing this workout for the first time.

Dont be upset if you cant make it through this workout without pausing for breaks. Its definitely the most rewarding of the workouts imo because you know you get a workout, even if you pause a lot. Its become my favorite for this reason.

Top Bottom