• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

gcubed

catfish said:
don't eat the ice cream cake.

Or do, and just quit trying to get fit.

oh come on now, no need for a holier than thou attitude about working out. Its a piece of freaking birthday cake. If you don't allow yourself ot have a piece of birthday cake while working out you have serious mental deficiencies.

andycapps

Lionheart1827 said:
Oh boy. Just make sure you dont have anything sitting in your stomach by the time you do your plyo tonight. A lot of people here and people I know have thrown up doing this workout for the first time.

Dont be upset if you cant make it through this workout without pausing for breaks. Its definitely the most rewarding of the workouts imo because you know you get a workout, even if you pause a lot. Its become my favorite for this reason.

I definitely won't be eating anything before the workout. And I noticed you bolded the ice cream cake, I'm not planning on having that. Haha. It's hard eating with my in-laws because they're very unhealthy and yet keep trying diets all the time, but they'll make me feel bad if I don't eat something they have there.

Articate

Banned
andycapps said:
I definitely won't be eating anything before the workout. And I noticed you bolded the ice cream cake, I'm not planning on having that. Haha. It's hard eating with my in-laws because they're very unhealthy and yet keep trying diets all the time, but they'll make me feel bad if I don't eat something they have there.

Yeah, just be firm about it. But, again, I stress that it's actually important to not be too strict with your diet. If it weren't one of your first days, I'd encourage you to have it. In the first days, though, it's ok to get into the groove of the diet. I posted an elaborate post on the matter some posts back

Muddimar

I know this thread is mainly for P90X. However, my fiance and I are going to start the Insanity workout soon. Any tips? Has anyone completed or is anyone currently doing the Insanity workout? All I hear from people is how I'm going to throw up, and I'm not a big fan of that haha.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lionheart1827 said:
Oh boy. Just make sure you dont have anything sitting in your stomach by the time you do your plyo tonight. A lot of people here and people I know have thrown up doing this workout for the first time.

Dont be upset if you cant make it through this workout without pausing for breaks. Its definitely the most rewarding of the workouts imo because you know you get a workout, even if you pause a lot. Its become my favorite for this reason.
After like 2 weeks, Plyo isn't *too* bad. It still sucks, but you won't feel like death.

Lionheart1827 said:
Plyo is like my favorite workout now. It kicks your ass so hard, you really cannot go wrong with it.

Question for some other veteran P90xers:

Does anyone do any of your own type of workout during the Recovery week? Sometimes I feel like I have a ton of energy that is going to waste during the recovery week and I feel I need to push myself a bit harder. Does anyone do Ab ripper on M/W/F? or throw in a plyo somewhere? Just wondering.

I have always done the recovery week exactly as the plan describes. It's called a recovery week for a reason. Gotta give your body a chance to rest a little before the next phase begins.

andycapps said:

Haha no you bolded it in your original post. :)

But really its fine as long as you dont eat anything within an hour. And like angry grimace said, after a few times of doing it, its not as bad. That initial first day plyo is mnsdkfgnsdjkgndklfjng.

andycapps

Lionheart1827 said:
Haha no you bolded it in your original post. :)

But really its fine as long as you dont eat anything within an hour. And like angry grimace said, after a few times of doing it, its not as bad. That initial first day plyo is mnsdkfgnsdjkgndklfjng.

Yeah so the first day of plyo was... pretty much death. I probably did between 50-75% of what they did and the time of what they did on the DVD. The hardest thing for me at this stage of the program is endurance, I just don't have it yet. I'm good for the first 10-15 min and can do everything.. Then I just hit a wall and have to back off some, rest a little and stretch, then get back into it. And getting back into it after resting for 30 seconds is even hard because I anticipate it being worse than it really is. I have to stop thinking and just do it. So yeah my lower back and my legs are pretty much toast today, but I feel like it's definitely doing something.

Feels good to be doing something after doing nothing for a while, and to be feeling sore, as strange as it sounds.

gcubed

andycapps said:
Yeah so the first day of plyo was... pretty much death. I probably did between 50-75% of what they did and the time of what they did on the DVD. The hardest thing for me at this stage of the program is endurance, I just don't have it yet. I'm good for the first 10-15 min and can do everything.. Then I just hit a wall and have to back off some, rest a little and stretch, then get back into it. And getting back into it after resting for 30 seconds is even hard because I anticipate it being worse than it really is. I have to stop thinking and just do it. So yeah my lower back and my legs are pretty much toast today, but I feel like it's definitely doing something.

Feels good to be doing something after doing nothing for a while, and to be feeling sore, as strange as it sounds.

in the 2nd month, plyo is still "hard" but i dont dread it, and i almost enjoy it. It goes straight to hell if you try to match their tuck jump and rock start hop speed early, so don't be a hero!

Also, the first week... i've found that yoga x is your friend. You may not enjoy doing it as much the first time, but it took care of a lot of my soreness that first week

andycapps

gcubed said:
in the 2nd month, plyo is still "hard" but i dont dread it, and i almost enjoy it. It goes straight to hell if you try to match their tuck jump and rock start hop speed early, so don't be a hero!

Also, the first week... i've found that yoga x is your friend. You may not enjoy doing it as much the first time, but it took care of a lot of my soreness that first week

Yeah I started out trying to do everything the hard way that they were doing, and gradually kind of did the modified versions as I needed to.. Just so I was doing something.

I'm actually looking forward to Yoga X tomorrow. Tonight is shoulders and arms and ab ripper. The first 3 weeks they definitely seem to emphasize the ab ripper part. 3 times a week will be killer.

I3rand0

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hey all, I don't have the p90x calendar with me, what are the week 1 wednesday and friday workouts?

What day did you start? If it was Monday, today is Shoulders & Arms, Ab Ripper X. Fridays is Legs & Back, Ab Ripper X

Muddimar said:
I know this thread is mainly for P90X. However, my fiance and I are going to start the Insanity workout soon. Any tips? Has anyone completed or is anyone currently doing the Insanity workout? All I hear from people is how I'm going to throw up, and I'm not a big fan of that haha.
It will kick you in the nads. How athletic and fit are you already? Just to give you an idea, the people in the workout vids (after they themselves finished the entire program) are rolling around in the floor in some of the workouts. I don't know about throwing up, but gasping for air not able to sprint one more step is more like it.

The important thing is to go at your own pace, but push yourself each new day. It is very rewarding.

Excko

Muddimar said:

Me and my girlfriend completed the regular P90 workout and we thought we'd try something different. We tried a few days of Insanity...

Let me tell you, that stuff is hard. Really hard. This is my opinion, of course, but I think that Insanity is for people who are in great shape that wants to be in IMPOSSIBLY GREAT UBER shape. It's not a program that you start if you are trying to shape up. It is way too hard for that and you will most likely quit after a few days because it is so hard. Think military boot camp * 1000 (might be exagerating a bit, but it gives you an idea).

If you decide to go with it, post it here and I would like to get your opinion on it.

*Sanky Panky beat me to it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
oh come on now, no need for a holier than thou attitude about working out. Its a piece of freaking birthday cake. If you don't allow yourself ot have a piece of birthday cake while working out you have serious mental deficiencies.

for me there is. I can put a lot of food away as a main meal, having cake afterwards etc... if you're trying 3 months of a get fit routine, cake on day 2 is a shitty plan. so is soda at all during the time.

I see your point, but let's not underestimate the importance of diet for results.

gcubed

catfish said:
for me there is. I can put a lot of food away as a main meal, having cake afterwards etc... if you're trying 3 months of a get fit routine, cake on day 2 is a shitty plan. so is soda at all during the time.

I see your point, but let's not underestimate the importance of diet for results.

well yes, i'm not saying eat cake every day, but if you are at a birthday party having a piece of cake isn't going to kill you... as long as you dont let that cake turn into 3 pieces, then 5 burgers, then a few candy bars a day

andycapps said:
Yeah I started out trying to do everything the hard way that they were doing, and gradually kind of did the modified versions as I needed to.. Just so I was doing something.

I'm actually looking forward to Yoga X tomorrow. Tonight is shoulders and arms and ab ripper. The first 3 weeks they definitely seem to emphasize the ab ripper part. 3 times a week will be killer.

ab ripper only goes away on recovery days, but core synergistic is a pretty great workout

Couple of questions -
Is ab ripper x too easy for anyone? It seems too easy for me now I can keep up with the guys on there, and the only move where I really feel any strain in my abs area is the fifer scissors - am I doing it wrong? Does anyone else do any other ab exercising in their routine?

Also - stretchmarks , anyone else got a lot of these? lol I have quite a lot above my pecs/armpit area and loads right in my groin, I don't particularly mind but I'm guessing this is a normal thing?

Excko

BlazingDarkness said:
Also - stretchmarks , anyone else got a lot of these? lol I have quite a lot above my pecs/armpit area and loads right in my groin, I don't particularly mind but I'm guessing this is a normal thing?

From Wikipedia :

Stretch marks are often the result of the rapid stretching of the skin associated with rapid growth (common in puberty) or weight gain (e.g. pregnancy, muscle building, or rapid gain of fat) or in some cases, severe pulling force on skin that overcomes the dermis' elasticity.

So yeah, if you are doing lots of bodybuilding, stretch marks are a normal thing.

andycapps

Excko said:
So yeah, if you are doing lots of bodybuilding, stretch marks are a normal thing.

Any way to minimize them? I'm assuming lotion or cocoa butter type stuff that pregnant women would use? Something to make the skin more elastic.

Muddimar

Sanky Panky said:
It will kick you in the nads. How athletic and fit are you already? Just to give you an idea, the people in the workout vids (after they themselves finished the entire program) are rolling around in the floor in some of the workouts. I don't know about throwing up, but gasping for air not able to sprint one more step is more like it.

The important thing is to go at your own pace, but push yourself each new day. It is very rewarding.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm pretty fit already. That's kind of a concern of mine actually. I don't want to lose muscle mass, so I'm thinking of doing a Insanity/Weight lifting combo? I weigh about 165, about 10% body fat. I've read some reviews that say you will lose a lot of weight doing insanity. A friend of mine actually just completed Insanity, she lost like 32 pounds and leaned out BIG time. She told us to go at our own pace and you'll see results.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
i just got the set of like 12 dvds but no papers/worksheets for $15 on craigslits. how important are the worksheets?

do i just do 1 dvd per day? is there a day off or something? and finally, is it possible to put the dvds on my iphone and do the workouts at the gym?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DR3AM said:
i just got the set of like 12 dvds but no papers/worksheets for $15 on craigslits. how important are the worksheets?

do i just do 1 dvd per day? is there a day off or something? and finally, is it possible to put the dvds on my iphone and do the workouts at the gym?
The P90X Classic routine is just

1: Chest & Back
2: Plyo X
3: Shoulders & Arms
4: Yoga X
5: Legs & Back
6: Kenpo X
7: Nothing or X Stretch

for three weeks, then a recovery week (Yoga X, CS, Kenpo X, Rest day, CS, Yoga X, Rest Day), and then three weeks of first same routine, but replace 1 with Chest, Shoulders & Triceps and 3 with Back and Biceps.

Then the recovery week again and then you alternate the first workout routing with the second for four weeks.

Angry Grimace

DR3AM said:
thx for the link and what does the X mean?
It's just the name of the disc. It doesn't mean anything other than a marketing gimmick for "xtreme" since there's a Power 90 workout that preceded P90X which was significantly easier.

Excko said:
Me and my girlfriend completed the regular P90 workout and we thought we'd try something different. We tried a few days of Insanity...

Let me tell you, that stuff is hard. Really hard. This is my opinion, of course, but I think that Insanity is for people who are in great shape that wants to be in IMPOSSIBLY GREAT UBER shape. It's not a program that you start if you are trying to shape up. It is way too hard for that and you will most likely quit after a few days because it is so hard. Think military boot camp * 1000 (might be exagerating a bit, but it gives you an idea).

If you decide to go with it, post it here and I would like to get your opinion on it.

*Sanky Panky beat me to it.
my friend has it and wanted me to try one of them...think it was plyo/cardio and it was hard but not impossible.

andycapps

Shoulders and Arms and Ab Ripper X was last night. I hung with them for about 75% or more of the time. Felt good to do that, but dear God I'm sore. All over too, my legs are still destroyed from the previous day of Plyo. Yoga X should actually be nice tonight. I am looking forward to my day off!

I3rand0

andycapps said:
Shoulders and Arms and Ab Ripper X was last night. I hung with them for about 75% or more of the time. Felt good to do that, but dear God I'm sore. All over too, my legs are still destroyed from the previous day of Plyo. Yoga X should actually be nice tonight. I am looking forward to my day off!
Uh yeah, enjoy your "day off" with Yoga X...:lol

andycapps said:
*mid chest high five* slept with my arms bent. woke up in pain
KuGsj.gif

andycapps

I3rand0 said:
Uh yeah, enjoy your "day off" with Yoga X...:lol

Haha I was talking about my actual day off on Sunday. I've seen a little of Yoga X and I'm sure it'll have me working like a dog as with all the other workouts.

andycapps said:
Haha I was talking about my actual day off on Sunday. I've seen a little of Yoga X and I'm sure it'll have me working like a dog as with all the other workouts.
While it may not get you as exhausted as plyo, yoga x will still make you sweat like a mother

andycapps

CherryWoodFuton said:
While it may not get you as exhausted as plyo, yoga x will still make you sweat like a mother

I'm okay with that. My VP at work is on his 3rd week of P90X and he hates Yoga X and usually substitutes it with Cardio X.

Articate

Banned
Yoga X is my favourite in a wierd sense. My third time is tomorrow, so we'll see how I feel after all this improvement I've made in all fields.

It really is a workout where you work the mind as much as anything. It's hard, it's long. Get over it. Calm your mind to have it relax. It is not really cardio, it is a balance and getting tiny muscles active workout. Like Tony says, he can do things at 45, not because he works out, but because of the Yoga.

I hated it the first week. Second week was a lot better. I think tomorrow I can get in the groove of it. I would never take it out.

TwiztidElf

Finished week 7, and going into phase 2 recovery week now.
Haven't missed a day, and my diet has been excellent.

So far, disappointed I'm not totally ripped and buff. I understand these things take time, and I'm committed long term.
Definite, visible improvement that I am happy with. Starting to see some real definition in my arms, shoulders and abs.

MIMIC

Banned
On week 3. First week (aka few days) KILLED ME. I was in so much pain. Now it's all good.

I'm lovin the cardio stuff (plyo, kenpo, etc,). They are the only DVDs where I don't need to press pause =p

Angry Grimace

MIMIC said:
On week 3. First week (aka few days) KILLED ME. I was in so much pain. Now it's all good.

I'm lovin the cardio stuff (plyo, kenpo, etc,). They are the only DVDs where I don't need to press pause =p
If you don't need to press pause 3 weeks in on Plyo, you probably were too buff for P90X anyways.

Prodigal

Banned
So my 25lb weights are starting to be too light...since these things are so expensive, would it be unwise to jerry-rig and attach some lighter weights to my 25's? I can borrow some 8 and 12 pound weights from my friend and just use a bungie cord or something to attach 'em on. Although I feel like they'd have to be attached in the middle of the 25 so they weren't unbalanced...

Angry Grimace

Prodigal said:
So my 25lb weights are starting to be too light...since these things are so expensive, would it be unwise to jerry-rig and attach some lighter weights to my 25's? I can borrow some 8 and 12 pound weights from my friend and just use a bungie cord or something to attach 'em on. Although I feel like they'd have to be attached in the middle of the 25 so they weren't unbalanced...
I believe they make magnetic weights you can attach to other weights. I wouldn't hold one over your head though.

DMPrince said:
i started Yoga earlier this afternoon. got bored 5 minutes in. gonna try again in a few. i promise i'll get through it :O
Did you do it?? ;p
I just finished Yoga myself, personally I think 'right just wait for the 45 minute mark or so and it's basically finished' because after that point it's not demanding at all (and quite relaxing) candles and incense helped too :D

I3rand0

TwiztidElf said:
Finished week 7, and going into phase 2 recovery week now.
Haven't missed a day, and my diet has been excellent.

So far, disappointed I'm not totally ripped and buff. I understand these things take time, and I'm committed long term.
Definite, visible improvement that I am happy with. Starting to see some real definition in my arms, shoulders and abs.

I'm about done with Week 6 and I'm having the same results as you. Nothing too drastic yet, but I can see some visible results in my arms and abs. My flexibility has also increased significantly.

Last Vinyasa FTW.

BlazingDarkness said:
Did you do it?? ;p
I just finished Yoga myself, personally I think 'right just wait for the 45 minute mark or so and it's basically finished' because after that point it's not demanding at all (and quite relaxing) candles and incense helped too :D
yeah i barely managed to get through it. well kinda glad i went through it. shows how poorly my body is lol.

Top Bottom