• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
what are some high protein foods that i can buy at a normal store? no shakes please

also, im not trying to lose weight(6'3 180 pounds), im actually looking to gain some weight, should i still try out p90x? Saturday will be my first day.

MIMIC

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
If you don't need to press pause 3 weeks in on Plyo, you probably were too buff for P90X anyways.

You don't mean buff as in muscular, do you? I'm 5'10" and 160lbs approx.; no where NEAR "muscular", lol. I started P90X to GET (more) muscular.

But honestly, I've always been pretty athletic and fond of carido activities. Before P90X, I was exercising pretty regularly but had to stop because studying for the LSATs destroyed all of my freetime.

Tapiozona

Banned
DR3AM said:
what are some high protein foods that i can buy at a normal store? no shakes please

also, im not trying to lose weight(6'3 180 pounds), im actually looking to gain some weight, should i still try out p90x? Saturday will be my first day.

Probably not. If you're looking to gain weight (muscle) p90x isn't a very good option. You'd be much better off with a proper diet and lifting heavy. I promise you'll have 3 times better results than you could ever get from p90x which is more of a cutting diet/program.

andycapps

DR3AM said:

If you're trying to gain weight and put on muscle you'll need to increase your protein intake significantly. It's going to be hard to get that much protein from food. You need probably 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Lean meats are good, eggs, maybe plain yogurt, skim milk, protein bars, protein shakes, etc. The shakes aren't bad, I got some from Vitamin Shoppe and the first day it bothered me. Just run it in a blender for about 20 seconds or so until it's good and blended up. Then chug it, it just tastes like a really thick glass of chocolate milk.

Also, if you're trying to gain weight, as already said, P90X may not be right for you. It's more for getting tone and converting your fat to muscle and or cutting some excess weight. YMMV.

Articate

Banned
I just came across this little talk which I think is very relevant for all of us doing the P90X, as we are highly concerned with achieving an efficient combined fatloss / weight-gain result from the entire program. It has lots of good points on what we're trying to achieve and fruthers my promotion of HIIT :) (I'm a sucker for it :D)

Exercise: Fat Loss vs. Weight Loss

Clott

Articate said:
I just came across this little talk which I think is very relevant for all of us doing the P90X, as we are highly concerned with achieving an efficient combined fatloss / weight-gain result from the entire program. It has lots of good points on what we're trying to achieve and fruthers my promotion of HIIT :) (I'm a sucker for it :D)

In general that channel on youtube is pure gold.

Articate said:

Makes sense....when I was doing P90x, I remember there were some nights after an intense workout and for the rest of the night, I just wouldn't be hungry.

andycapps

Just finished Kenpo for the first time. That one had me sweating more than most, but I really enjoyed it. Will enjoy my day off tomorrow more haha.

Dunlop

Can this be done without a pullup bar?

My wife an I are looking for a program to do, I want to sell my house in the next few months so really do not want to install a bar as I do not have anywhere to place one where it would not look odd.

Dunlop said:

My wife an I are looking for a program to do, I want to sell my house in the next few months so really do not want to install a bar as I do not have anywhere to place one where it would not look odd.
can get bands

I3rand0

Dunlop said:

If you're not going to get a pullup bar, which most install to your door frame and can be easily removed, you'll have to get resistance bands. Pullups are a pretty important part of the program.

andycapps

Dunlop said:

Or you can get one that doesn't have to be installed and just hangs over the frame. That's what I got.

MjFrancis

andycapps said:
Or you can get one that doesn't have to be installed and just hangs over the frame. That's what I got.
Be certain to measure your door frame and the bar for proper fit before you buy one of these, Dunlop. I purchased a cheap home pull-up bar that wasn't adjustable some two years ago and it didn't fit a single door at home or at work. Gave it to Goodwill within a few months, consequently.

Chances are that it will fit, but I lived in a ninety year old home with odd door frames. I've been considering buying a new one for my current home since it probably won't have those issues - but I learned my lesson and I'll still measure this time around.

andycapps

MjFrancis said:
Be certain to measure your door frame and the bar for proper fit before you buy one of these, Dunlop. I purchased a cheap home pull-up bar that wasn't adjustable some two years ago and it didn't fit a single door at home or at work. Gave it to Goodwill within a few months, consequently.

Chances are that it will fit, but I lived in a ninety year old home with odd door frames. I've been considering buying a new one for my current home since it probably won't have those issues - but I learned my lesson and I'll still measure this time around.

This is true. With a newer home or apartment you should be okay. I was worried about using an over the door chinup bar, but this one has been good so far and seems to protect the door pretty well.

Simplet

Hey everyone.

I was wondering what some of you guys were doing after being done with P90X? I've been doing it on and off for about a year, and right now I'm one week into the last phase of this run, and I'm getting a bit burned out about the whole thing.

My numbers have improved somewhat nicely. I'm about 1.82m/6feet and 80+kg/175+ lbs. I just beat my personnal record 2 days ago with 23 pull-ups (my overall goal was to do 25 chin-up, since they are a bit easier than pull-ups I should get to 25 next time I try or soon after I think). I can curl 20kgs/45 pounds, I also do 20kgs on shoulder presses. The dumbells I've got only go up to 20kgs and I feel it will be complicated to add more weight to it (I bought 5kgs plates to add to it, they were originally only supposed to go up to 10kgs). So I don't know if I can improve to much on that front with my weights. I do feel like my push-ups are lagging behing, I can do 50 before I have to go too slowly and it starts to feel like cheating. I've stopped doing the P90X cardio, it's become a bit too easy.

All in all I look pretty lean but I still have little love handles on the side, and I have always had huge thighs for some reason. I don't have that much in the way of muscle definition, I just look "firm" if you will. These days I've been going to the swimming pool a lot, and I'm not quite sure if doing only that for a while will cost me some muscle mass. I'm also debating starting to go to a proper gym and lifting heavy weights not too frequently. My problem is thqt I hate the gym and in particular having to get someone to watch you lift heavy bars. So yeah basically I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do after finishing P90X, and what some of you guys have been doing.

andycapps

Simplet said:
Hey everyone.

I was wondering what some of you guys were doing after being done with P90X? I've been doing it on and off for about a year, and right now I'm one week into the last phase of this run, and I'm getting a bit burned out about the whole thing.

My numbers have improved somewhat nicely. I'm about 1.82m/6feet and 80+kg/175+ lbs. I just beat my personnal record 2 days ago with 23 pull-ups (my overall goal was to do 25 chin-up, since they are a bit easier than pull-ups I should get to 25 next time I try or soon after I think). I can curl 20kgs/45 pounds, I also do 20kgs on shoulder presses. The dumbells I've got only go up to 20kgs and I feel it will be complicated to add more weight to it (I bought 5kgs plates to add to it, they were originally only supposed to go up to 10kgs). So I don't know if I can improve to much on that front with my weights. I do feel like my push-ups are lagging behing, I can do 50 before I have to go too slowly and it starts to feel like cheating. I've stopped doing the P90X cardio, it's become a bit too easy.

All in all I look pretty lean but I still have little love handles on the side, and I have always had huge thighs for some reason. I don't have that much in the way of muscle definition, I just look "firm" if you will. These days I've been going to the swimming pool a lot, and I'm not quite sure if doing only that for a while will cost me some muscle mass. I'm also debating starting to go to a proper gym and lifting heavy weights not too frequently. My problem is thqt I hate the gym and in particular having to get someone to watch you lift heavy bars. So yeah basically I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do after finishing P90X, and what some of you guys have been doing.

You could always move over to the fitness thread and start doing some of their tips, or you could try Insanity. Seems like people think that's a large step beyond P90X.

Articate

Banned
Simplet said:
Hey everyone.

To be frank, it sounds like it's diet-time for you. Abs are made in the kitchen. I also don't find P90X to be a program to be done on and off for a year. And yes, doing low-intensity long duration cardio will get you into catabolism, and cost you lean muscle mass as well as fat. If you want to preserve your muscles (and you've got a lot of muscle), you should focus on stuff that helps cardio without going into catabolism. I posted this link some posts back, and Clott posted an interesting article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZu3vNXbPA

I also can recommend this article on fat loss
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...s-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

When I say "it's diet time", I mean it's time to get into what a good diet is. You have fantastic strength. It's now just hidden under some excess fat. It can be stubborn, but with a directed and proper approach, you'll find that it's the diet you need, and not to be able to do 500 pushups in a row.

Simplet

Thanks for the help everyone.

andycapps said:
You could always move over to the fitness thread and start doing some of their tips, or you could try Insanity. Seems like people think that's a large step beyond P90X.

I'm not really looking into finding even more difficult programs, I'd just like to find some way to maintain my gains and maybe improve slowly, without too much boredom. Basically something that will allow me to avoid getting completely fed up with everything in two months and give up. I don't think I can keep up doing those kind of programs indefinitely, Insanity in particular looks really... obnoxious.

To be frank, it sounds like it's diet-time for you. Abs are made in the kitchen. I also don't find P90X to be a program to be done on and off for a year. And yes, doing low-intensity long duration cardio will get you into catabolism, and cost you lean muscle mass as well as fat. If you want to preserve your muscles (and you've got a lot of muscle), you should focus on stuff that helps cardio without going into catabolism. I posted this link some posts back, and Clott posted an interesting article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZu3vNXbPA

I also can recommend this article on fat loss
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-fat-loss.html

When I say "it's diet time", I mean it's time to get into what a good diet is. You have fantastic strength. It's now just hidden under some excess fat. It can be stubborn, but with a directed and proper approach, you'll find that it's the diet you need, and not to be able to do 500 pushups in a row.

Hum I'm not sure about dieting, that big dude in the fitness thread made me think I was maybe thin enough as is? I dunno I feel like I've become more "broad" and "thick" if that makes any sense, but I don't look that muscular. Even then I don't feel like losing weight makes my muscles more defined, I just look thinner, maybe I need to lose weight even more?

These days it feels like losing weight is really easy, especially with IF. I actually try not to do it too much because I'm afraid I might start to eat into my muscles? I dunno I guess I should try to lose maybe another 5 kilos and see what that looks like. As for swimming I try to do fast 25-50 meters sprints, I should try to buy some hand paddles to increase water resistance. Thanks for the encouragements by the way.

CatPee

Huh, the first week was hell, especially Kenpo and Plyo. But now, I'm not even phased by them anymore in the 2nd week.

By the way, I magically got a more toned back and larger lats after just 2 weeks. I'm likin' P90X already. :D

Articate

Banned
Simplet said:
Hum I'm not sure about dieting, that big dude in the fitness thread made me think I was maybe thin enough as is? I dunno I feel like I've become more "broad" and "thick" if that makes any sense, but I don't look that muscular. Even then I don't feel like losing weight makes my muscles more defined, I just look thinner, maybe I need to lose weight even more?

These days it feels like losing weight is really easy, especially with IF. I actually try not to do it too much because I'm afraid I might start to eat into my muscles? I dunno I guess I should try to lose maybe another 5 kilos and see what that looks like. As for swimming I try to do fast 25-50 meters sprints, I should try to buy some hand paddles to increase water resistance. Thanks for the encouragements by the way.

All comes down to what you want. You sound like you want to look more defined, then you need to lose body fat. I know of huuge guys that don't have <10% body fat. They look like bears and are strong like a bull. That's of course a completely viable way to go. But then you're gonna be broad and big.

If you want to stay clear of your muscle mass while you slim down, just make sure to keep up some training to keep your muscles engaged, doesn't have to be that hard. Also, if you listen to that one youtube clip I linked, you'll pretty much understand the difference between losing fat either via EPOC (Excess Post-Workout Oxygen Consumption) or catabolism (which is what you don't want if you want to keep muscle) :)

Again, abs are made in the kitchen. If you can do that many pull ups and do that weight, you would look like Tony Horton if you got down to his fat percentage.

Christ ...

Day one ... OO

Kinda knew what to expect, I went through Yoga, Cardio and Kenpo last week to key myself in and get a feel for the program.

(Yoga actually kicked my arse, I could only do 30 minutes ... Cardio and particularly Kenpo I actually enjoyed)

But today doing Chest & Back made it clear my body has some real strength/balance issues, stuff to do with the core as well as the arms no doubt. I totally foundered on all those pushups.

I'm no stranger to doing them, and used to have a little daily routine of 3 sets of ten, interspersed with some ab crunches.

But my lord! Especially the diamond ones, motherf...

In the end I took the repeated hints Tony was giving about form being more important than reps - rather blatant, since even on the first round it got to the point where I would try one, start to shake, and promptly collapse.

So I rather shamefacedly introduced one knee or the other into the equation, and found that at least gave me something to work with.

Cannot WAIT to make Chest & Back my bitch!

Anyway, I've been feeling beautifully sore everywhere all day. Dear God, I'm loving this, it's just what I need.

Thanks to everyone involved in bringing it.

I'm thinking of swapping Kenpo for an hour or so of Squash, sound like a plan? I really want to do squash simply 'cos I find it really fun with a friend, but I think adding that in along with p90x routine would make it too cardio based (and i'm trying to bulk up not cut down) so would just substituting in it's place be a good plan?

today is my second week since my first time with p90x. i managed to do pushups lol. first week was just try and error for me. i think i got the moves down so far!

Simplet

Articate said:
All comes down to what you want. You sound like you want to look more defined, then you need to lose body fat. I know of huuge guys that don't have <10% body fat. They look like bears and are strong like a bull. That's of course a completely viable way to go. But then you're gonna be broad and big.

If you want to stay clear of your muscle mass while you slim down, just make sure to keep up some training to keep your muscles engaged, doesn't have to be that hard. Also, if you listen to that one youtube clip I linked, you'll pretty much understand the difference between losing fat either via EPOC (Excess Post-Workout Oxygen Consumption) or catabolism (which is what you don't want if you want to keep muscle) :)

Again, abs are made in the kitchen. If you can do that many pull ups and do that weight, you would look like Tony Horton if you got down to his fat percentage.

All right I think I'm going to try this. I'm going to finish my last round of P90X, try to get to 75kgs and see what that looks like. Thanks for the help.

I'll probably have to ask for a proper gym routine in the fitness thread then. I liked doing P90X because I didn't have to know anything about anything, looks like I'm going to have to learn some stuff.

Just finished chest back week 9, day one of phase 3. Managed to break all of my pushup records since week 3. Went from 168 in week 3 (total various pushups) to 205 tonight. Still can barely do pullups/chinups. :/

andycapps

Lionheart1827 said:
Just finished chest back week 9, day one of phase 3. Managed to break all of my pushup records since week 3. Went from 168 in week 3 (total various pushups) to 205 tonight. Still can barely do pullups/chinups. :/

Pushups are still so much easier for me than pullups or chinups.

Chest and back yesterday in the second week was much easier than the first week. While I'm a little sore today, it's more of a tiredness than being completely sore like I was a week ago. Than it itself is some improvement, because I definitely hit it hard yesterday and did a lot more than a week prior.

Tyrion81

Neo Member
Lionheart1827 said:

Ok good its not just me. I in the recovery week right befor phase 3, and I still suck at pullups as well. Push-ups I'm right around your area, as I believe my last count was 197 total.

How often do you guys have to pause the videos just to take a short quick break or to catch your breath?

I find Plyo to be immensely crazy, and would often have to pause every 10 or so minutes of the program just to wipe off sweat and get some water in.

andycapps

Warrior_Keoni said:
How often do you guys have to pause the videos just to take a short quick break or to catch your breath?

I find Plyo to be immensely crazy, and would often have to pause every 10 or so minutes of the program just to wipe off sweat and get some water in.

On Plyo and Kenpo I tend to have to pause every 10 minutes or so and catch my breath. It's either that or sit out part of an exercise. Sometimes I'd rather do that than risk pausing it and resting too long.

LJ11

Diamond push ups are killing me, but I think it's due to my shoulder. Will probably have to get it checked out soon, think I injured it somehow (not P90x related). My right shoulder doesn't support me at all when doing diamond push ups, especially the 2nd time through.

How sore do your arms feel after doing chest/back?

I'm a pretty thin guy, really don't need to lose any weight, love handle area a bit, and I'm seeing decent definition with week 3 almost complete. Best part is that my sore left elbow and right hip are now fine, they feel great thanks to the Yoga/Plyo workouts.

Have a hard time getting motivated to do Kenpo, just seems boring. Anyone double up on Plyo instead of doing Kenpo?

Anyone else see the guy in the blue on the first DVD lick Tony's hand?

Starting week 6 with my wife. Noticing a real change nowadays. All about the burn baby!

Warrior_Keoni said:

andycapps said:
On Plyo and Kenpo I tend to have to pause every 10 minutes or so and catch my breath. It's either that or sit out part of an exercise. Sometimes I'd rather do that than risk pausing it and resting too long.

Aren't Plyometrics in general supposed to not be overly tiring?

They're supposed to be aerobic, not anaerobic.

I've never used P90X though, so maybe it's intentional.

Hello! I really want to try this P90x. The thing is, I'm strapped for cash. I've only bought the resistance bands so far. What can I get by without buying? I don't want to buy stuff I'm not going to need. Heres a list of things I need so far.

-Mat
-Dumb bells
-Heart Rate Monitor
-Pull Up Bar
-Body Fat Tester
-Protein Bars
-Recovery Drink
-Multivitamin

I'm curious about the food too. I have a fast metabolism so I'm sure I can still eat whatever I want and get away with it, but I'm wondering how the food taste in the nutrition guide. It just seems like you need a lot just to get started and when you don't have the money for it all right away, kind of makes you frazzled.

BankaiZaraki said:
Hello! I really want to try this P90x. The thing is, I'm strapped for cash. I've only bought the resistance bands so far. What can I get by without buying? I don't want to buy stuff I'm not going to need. Heres a list of things I need so far.

-Mat
-Dumb bells
-Heart Rate Monitor
-Pull Up Bar
-Body Fat Tester
-Protein Bars
-Recovery Drink
-Multivitamin

I'm curious about the food too. I have a fast metabolism so I'm sure I can still eat whatever I want and get away with it, but I'm wondering how the food taste in the nutrition guide. It just seems like you need a lot just to get started and when you don't have the money for it all right away, kind of makes you frazzled.

These two are needed.
The protein powder/bar would be advisable if you're looking to bulk up, and also recovery drink would be good to ease you into the regime, but I don't think you'd need those immediately
The rest you don't need imo

BankaiZaraki said:

-Mat-I havent needed a mat since I excercise on carpet(except for abripper which I just use a folded blanket)
-Dumb bells-recommended for the weight stuff, but bands can be subbed for it
-Heart Rate Monitor-not a huge deal imo, if you feel like your heart is about to explode/pass out than rest for a few. Some people take it seriously though.
-Pull Up Bar-recommended, but bands can be subbed as well
-Body Fat Tester-mm, your choice if you want to measure exactly how much fat your losing over time.
-Protein Bars-not needed but can help if you're trying to build muscle rather than just trim down
-Recovery Drink-some recommend the p90x recoverty drink, but i just use whey protein and only on the weight lifting intensive days.
-Multivitamin-just get some centrum

BankaiZaraki said:

-Mat
-Dumb bells
-Heart Rate Monitor
-Pull Up Bar
-Body Fat Tester
-Protein Bars
-Recovery Drink
-Multivitamin

If you're that broke do Insanity.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
BlazingDarkness said:
Did you do it?? ;p
I just finished Yoga myself, personally I think 'right just wait for the 45 minute mark or so and it's basically finished' because after that point it's not demanding at all (and quite relaxing) candles and incense helped too :D

I just don't have the time for the full 1.5 hour yoga x, so i do the moving options and then abs to get the regular 1 hour workout.

Thanks guys. I went out and bought the dumb bell set. You guys are saving me a ton of cash though! I convinced my brother to do it with me, he needs it more than I do honestly. We're not going to start till late May because we're going to Vegas for my birthday and we don't want to miss a day with it. So after we get back, it's so on!

alejob

Second day of phase 3. I'm really gonna have to push hard to get anywhere near what I wanted when I started this thing. Haven't notice ay improvements the last couple of weeks. I have lost around 15 pounds. I need to lose around 5 more and start gaining muscle.

I'm getting thru Plyo X now without pushing pause. I did push pause every 10 minutes the first few times, but not any more.

I've also noticed more improvement in pushups than pull ups. Though not what I would have hoped. I think I've increased about 33% from the first week.

This thread needs more before/after pics. Might post my day 90 pics when I'm there.

Edit: I forgot to ask, what are you guys using to measure body fat? I need a cheap solution.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
BankaiZaraki said:

-Mat
-Dumb bells
-Heart Rate Monitor
-Pull Up Bar
-Body Fat Tester
-Protein Bars
-Recovery Drink
-Multivitamin

All you really need are the resistance bands with a door adapter for "pull ups". I'd also recommend a yoga mat (about $12 at TJMaxx or Ross), but you can get by without it.

I don't follow the diet and I still get fantastic results. Don't let the cost or taste of food deter you from starting the program.

Maybe get some whey protein. I use Syntha-6, but there are cheaper options out there.

D23

just did chest and back after not working out for two weeks due to stomach flu.
wow.. i literally almost puke halfway. i cant even do ab ripper x afterwards...

dammit.. tomorrow is insanity plyometrics + abripper x i guess.
wish me luck :(

Anth0ny

LJ11 said:
Diamond push ups are killing me, but I think it's due to my shoulder. Will probably have to get it checked out soon, think I injured it somehow (not P90x related). My right shoulder doesn't support me at all when doing diamond push ups, especially the 2nd time through.

How sore do your arms feel after doing chest/back?

First week, I couldn't lift my arms afterwards. Turning on the shower was damn near impossible lol.

Second week, my body had adapted much better, but that workout still kicks your ass no matter how many times you do it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i'm starting to see some good results. I'm at day 40, but I took a vacation near the end of the first month (to go be active for 2 weeks in america)

I've lost 6kilograms since the start of the program and from not being able to do 1 chin up unassisted with the chair, I can now get to 10 on the first one. 5-6 wide front after that, then the numbers decline. I'm back to the chair by the end of the workout, but the combination of 6 kilos off and some strength gained it's awesome. I'm going to fucking finish this program damnit. I used to be terrified of chinups as they made me feel week as a kitten, but now I look forward to them cause I can actually knock some out.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
D23 said:
just did chest and back after not working out for two weeks due to stomach flu.
wow.. i literally almost puke halfway. i cant even do ab ripper x afterwards...

dammit.. tomorrow is insanity plyometrics + abripper x i guess.
wish me luck :(

Is Insanity plyo much harder than P90X plyo?

If Plyo X is a 5 on a scale of 1-10...where does Insanity Plyo rate?

Top Bottom