• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will AI replace NPC dialogue in single player games?

Do you think AI dialogue for NPC characters is on the immediate horizon? (choose closest)

• Yes. I expect to see this feature implemented sometime in the next two or three years.

• Yes. I think it's going to take a while though. Maybe in the next 10 years.

• No. We don't want this and we won't get this.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm late to the party but I just figured out how interesting / powerful AI dialogue from ChatGPT can be. IMO, the technology is already there to make characters far more interesting than what the industry currently produces.

Are developers fast tracking this technology into upcoming games or is there something preventing this from being implemented? Single player gamers of NeoGAF, educate me.

10114-All-Your-Base_800x.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They're already implementing it as we speak.

For a better answer, it'll never ever fully replace written dialogue for numerous reasons, and it's rarely ever going to be more "interesting" because LLMs are inherently based on what a human being has already written. But it's absolutely going to be the future of pumping out content faster and cheaper than before. The brakes are off, and nobody really has hold of the wheel.

Last edited:

simpatico

We can only hope so. No real need to pay a unionized voice acting gang to provide small talk. Just another hurdle in front of small dev teams. AI is the only hope gaming has.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
For your average game - models need to be compact enough first to ship 'with' the games - noone is going to burn money at AI service effigy for the sake of it.
Right now I think you need something in order of 10GB for a decent conversational model - and that's just for text (it won't be anything that competes with chatbots online - but it should be able to service some NPCs), no idea what the commercial implications of it are (I doubt most devs will have the time and $ to train their own for awhile yet).

So if the question is when will this show up in your JRPGs and VNs - probably a good long way off. We may actually see AAA being at the innovation forefront here - for a change.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

In reality its already used a bit in experimental projects, but itll take years for it to get good and used in proper games.

I hope it doesnt take off anytime soon, running it locally is a waste of resources and space that could be better used elsewhere and we dont need more always online games.

Funny answer would be that Ubisoft will be the first major publisher to heavily use it and nobody will even notice it.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Already exists, but itll take years for it to get good and used in proper games.

I hope it doesnt take off anytime soon, running it locally will require too many resources and space. We dont need more always online games.

I bet Ubisoft will be the first major publisher to heavily use it and nobody will even notice it.
I imagine they will refrain from running it locally. It will be the new DRM and they will just say they are trying to give us an immersive product.

Three

luluwpp.gif

mrqs

Until the tech gets into place and consoles fully support a good enough language model, it might take 5 years + to start seeing that in some small games. AAA games? I'd say 10 years because development takes too much time, and decisions like that need to be made in the concept stage.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I think it will have fantastic utility in mods, where passion-driven people working for free obviously can't afford to spend much money on voice actors. Exciting prospects!

Pejo

If it ever does, I think that will likely mean permanent "always online" single player games. If you want the best quality AI, you're gonna need a persistent connection to the huge databases that comprise the AI's data. I guess it might be possible to include a trimmed DB in each standalone game, but it will be a worse experience, bigger install sizes, and a pain for devs.

Mercador

They already using it for customer support so for NPCs in a game seems a given in my book. You can limit the model to the data you want but it might be tricky to limit the answers you got.

T4keD0wN

I guess it might be possible to include a trimmed DB in each standalone game, but it will be a worse experience, bigger install sizes, and a pain for devs.
The platform holders could probably begin to offer the tools, it would lessen many downsides if theyre integrated within the OS and shared across multiple games.
Wouldnt be surprised if we are one or two gens away from MS, Sony and maybe even engine and hardware makers from providing the tools for implementing AI chat into games.

Pejo

The platform holders could probably begin to offer the tools, it would lessen many downsides if theyre integrated within the OS and shared across multiple games.
Wouldnt be surprised if we are one or two gens away from MS, Sony and maybe even engine and hardware makers from providing the tools for implementing AI chat into games.
Yea that's a good point. Including a separate processor just for AI (like MS's Win11 Copilot+ machines) and offering console level integration/API would take the sting off quite a bit for devs.

But you can be damn sure that your PS+ or whatever cost is going to go up.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
All for it if the ai understands the logic or the game and what’s happening so far it could offer some real immersion into the world. Currently most quests are just silly conversations with no depth. Ai could really improve most games dialog

It's going to be awhile. LLM's are GPU intensive and devs seem more interested in using every watt of GPU power strictly on graphics. When it happens it'll probably be some 2D indie-game that gets it right. Maybe it's an LLM-backed party member you have, or the people in a central-hub/town backed by the LLM. It certainly won't be a AAA game that does it first, if ever. They could offload all the token-generations to the cloud but then they would need a massive GPU farm to do that.

elhav

If it ever does, I think that will likely mean permanent "always online" single player games. If you want the best quality AI, you're gonna need a persistent connection to the huge databases that comprise the AI's data. I guess it might be possible to include a trimmed DB in each standalone game, but it will be a worse experience, bigger install sizes, and a pain for devs.
This is a very interesting point. I won't pretend I know anything about files compression, and I guess it's much more difficult to compress sound files, but maybe that's a technology they'll have to improve to have that huge database on a disc. Or at least a decent part that allows some generative dialog here and there.

Because I don't think requiring "always online" would go well with most people unless the game/franchise is really popular

TheAssist

not really for the main story, but you could write personas for smaller side quest npc's or merchants and stuff. Lets say you write a merchant persona and prompt it to generate 20 to 30 words every time you want to buy something. You can reuse these basic personas for lots of NPC's but you never need to write the actual dialog. But you need to feed the Ai with a lot of background information about the world and how people talk. Side quest NPC need more complex personas. Sure, the Personas could be written by AI as well, but at some point a human still has to write something so the AI can play of of it. Another cool feature would be the random "street chatter" that you hear. I am currently playing like a dragon infinite wealth and you hear the same dialog like 5 times in a row when you walk by someone. This is were AI generation makes sense. Not for main story cutscenes though.

Also, if you want the dialogue to be highly adaptive (eg reacting to things you have already done, and stuff you are wearing or NPC's in your party) the prompts become more and more complex and some point the prompts themselves become so complex, that you might as well just write the dialogue. Which might then be spoken via an Ai voice.

Last edited:

Pejo

This is a very interesting point. I won't pretend I know anything about files compression, and I guess it's much more difficult to compress sound files, but maybe that's a technology they'll have to improve to have that huge database on a disc. Or at least a decent part that allows some generative dialog here and there.

Because I don't think requiring "always online" would go well with most people unless the game/franchise is really popular
I think generationally, kids in the future are not going to put up the fuss that the (generally) older population of GAF does, about "always online". To them, everything is already online, so why not games too? I think it's mainly gamers age 30+ that push back against the online requirements. Especially if the requirement does something cool like actual NPC conversations and stuff, I think people will be fine with it.

Not saying it's a good thing or not, but that's just how it is.

Guilty_AI

There's more to dialogue than just words forming cohesive sentences you know. AI dialogue, even if convincing, is mostly empty and serves no purpose other than background noise. Its the kind of stuff that sounds cool on paper but doesn't really improve the game in ways that matter.

Last edited:

elhav

I think generationally, kids in the future are not going to put up the fuss that the (generally) older population of GAF does, about "always online". To them, everything is already online, so why not games too? I think it's mainly gamers age 30+ that push back against the online requirements. Especially if the requirement does something cool like actual NPC conversations and stuff, I think people will be fine with it.

Not saying it's a good thing or not, but that's just how it is.
Sure, in the distant future it does make sense. In the foreseeable future I think the older gamers are a big enough chunk of the customer base to make such a practice problematic

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I think generationally, kids in the future are not going to put up the fuss that the (generally) older population of GAF does, about "always online". To them, everything is already online, so why not games too? I think it's mainly gamers age 30+ that push back against the online requirements.
Gamers opinions are not the problem here.
The only reason online is as limited as it is today has always been down to costs - if there was a commercially viable way to either get those cloud resources for free - or have people cough-up 5$ per game per month - every game would have been online only yesterday.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's more to dialogue than just words forming cohesive sentences you know. AI dialogue, even if convincing, is mostly empty and serves no purpose other than background noise. Its the kind of stuff that sounds cool on paper but doesn't really improve the game in ways that matter.
This was my position a few days ago. Then I played around with ChatGPT and realized we're waaaay past that.

Guilty_AI

This was my position a few days ago. Then I played around with ChatGPT and realized we're waaaay past that.
like i said, there's a huge gap between convincing dialogue and engaging dialogue. If you're walking around virtual New York city and find two npcs having an AI generated, highly convincing conversation about the weather, you'll say "wow, cool" and promptly move on.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
A robot is still a robot. Voice isnt just saying some words. It has a melody, something which your ear can pick it up.
However, robots dont have that. They cant form a melody, as they are simply reading a word.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A robot is still a robot. Voice isnt just saying some words. It has a melody, something which your ear can pick it up.
However, robots dont have that. They cant form a melody, as they are simply reading a word.
You and Guilty_AI Guilty_AI need to mess around with those programs a bit. We're well past "just saying a few words". The AI can essentially have a free form conversation with you at this point. This wasn't even a topic of conversation a few short years ago. The amount of progress that will take place over the next 12 - 24 months will be crazy.

feynoob

Banned
You and Guilty_AI Guilty_AI need to mess around with those programs a bit. We're well past "just saying a few words". The AI can essentially have a free form conversation with you at this point. This wasn't even a topic of conversation a few short years ago. The amount of progress that will take place over the next 12 - 24 months will be crazy.
AI CANT REPLICATE REAL VOICE.

Voice is not something a machine can create nor understand how the words are being said. It simply samples the voice, then tries to do a lip service. But its still a robot voice.

You can still detect something is wrong with the voice. There is no pause or any movement. You can do tricks by shorting the words and adding music to make it real though, but still doesnt work without those.

Comandr

AI CANT REPLICATE REAL VOICE.

Voice is not something a machine can create nor understand how the words are being said. It simply samples the voice, then tries to do a lip service. But its still a robot voice.

You can still detect something is wrong with the voice. There is no pause or any movement. You can do tricks by shorting the words and adding music to make it real though, but still doesnt work without those.

Your first video you linked seems to defeat your own argument. Deepfake Cooper says at the end “90% of people cannot tell the difference.” I use AI tools pretty extensively and if I didn’t know I was listening to a fake version of him, I wouldn’t have thought about it for a second. At some point, it’s good enough.

Guilty_AI

Like i said, just having a convincing conversation, no matter how long winded or how realistic the voice sounds, isn't enough. There's far too much nuance in story-telling, especially in games, these conversation AIs can't pick up or generate on their own. Things such as nuanced emotional state, motivations, personality, way of expressing oneself, foreshadowing, pacing, story-structure, author's personal flavor and so on.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Being able to have a convo with an npc ingame and have it understand you is a fascinating concept I hadn't thought about.

Comandr

Like i said, just having a convincing conversation, no matter how long winded or how realistic the voice sounds, isn't enough. There's far too much nuance in story-telling, especially in games, these conversation AIs can't pick up or generate on their own. Things nuanced emotional state, motivations, personality, way of expressing oneself, foreshadowing, pacing, story-structure and so on.
How about one voice actor clearly doing multiple roles, or every guard in Skyrim mentioning they used to be an adventurer like you in the exact same tone and inflection - because it’s the exact same voice line.

There are plenty of places that AI voice and generative dialog could be applied convincingly and appropriately that would ONLY enhance the situation.

feynoob

Banned
Your first video you linked seems to defeat your own argument. Deepfake Cooper says at the end “90% of people cannot tell the difference.” I use AI tools pretty extensively and if I didn’t know I was listening to a fake version of him, I wouldn’t have thought about it for a second. At some point, it’s good enough.
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

90% of people simply ignore it. They can tell the difference, if they pay attention to the sound.
In an enviroment which you are paying attention to the voice, it doesnt work. Your attention picks up the eratic voice of the AI.

Comandr

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

90% of people simply ignore it. They can tell the difference, if they pay attention to the sound.
In an enviroment which you are paying attention to the voice, it doesnt work. Your attention picks up the eratic voice of the AI.
You’re just twisting the narrative to fit your argument. I literally admitted that I wouldn’t have questioned it if I wasn’t actually looking at the screen. That wasn’t me willfully ignoring anything. I couldn’t tell. Most people when they hear throwaway dialogue from a given npc don’t sit and pour over the vocal details.

Top Bottom