• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will AI replace NPC dialogue in single player games?

Do you think AI dialogue for NPC characters is on the immediate horizon? (choose closest)

• Yes. I expect to see this feature implemented sometime in the next two or three years.

• Yes. I think it's going to take a while though. Maybe in the next 10 years.

• No. We don't want this and we won't get this.

Results are only viewable after voting.

_Ex_

I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance lately. There's been many times while "conversing" with NPCs, via limited and repetitive dialogue trees, that I wished they had AI chat ability. I'd like to be able to speak into a mic on say my controller, and have the NPC understand what I said, then respond keeping within the framework of the game lore and world knowledge. This would be revolutionary for single player RPG gaming and you can bet your ass it's coming.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance lately. There's been many times while "conversing" with NPCs, via limited and repetitive dialogue trees, that I wished they had AI chat ability. I'd like to be able to speak into a mic on say my controller, and have the NPC understand what I said, then respond keeping within the framework of the game lore and world knowledge. This would be revolutionary for single player RPG gaming and you can bet your ass it's coming.

This was a tech demo from a year ago. There is crazy potential with this tech to change single player forever.

Guilty_AI

2. No Man's Sky has sold more copies than Doom Eternal. Just because you don't like the procedural level designs doesn't mean the market doesn't. Also, Hello Games vs ID Software...come on now.
I was talking about classic doom, but sure i can bring up dozens of other examples with handcrafted levels that sold more like Elden Ring, BG3, or heck a lot of the GAAS games you like to play.

3. Procedural level design and AI continues to advance at exponentially greater rates than the ability of level designers and script writers. Your Baldurs Gate 3 high bar is near motionless in it's ability to advance. AI isn't stuck.
And now you're comparing AI with magic. Same as with procedural generation, quantity != quality.

4. The current model has clear limitations that AI solves. The two main issues in videogames are linear, non interactive dialogue and limited, confined branching dialogue paths. Both of which are holding the medium back as this new tech grows.
These "issues" exist only in your head. There are good reasons some of the most popular games involve mindless repetitive activities and didn't require some big technological breakthroughs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom