• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which classic PS game would you love to see get the reboot treatment?

Markio128

Gold Member
With Astrobot and Silent Hill 2 seeing out 2024, it feels to me like a decent way to celebrate 30 years of PlayStation. The former has certainly reminded me of some of the really cool games that were released on PlayStation in those early years.

I was wondering which classic PlayStation game (not necessarily 1st-party) you would like to see get a reboot.

The ones that immediately spring to my mind are Ape Escape, Parappa the rapper, and Jak and Daxter.

I’d love Sony to reboot all of the above with the same love, care and attention afforded to Astrobot.

So, what would your dream reboot be?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Resident Evil 2 should have been a model to the entire industry about how to successfully bring back classic franchises. Honestly we've seen a lot of success with that since Prince of Persia Sands of Time.

There are a lot of ways to bring back franchises, but one thing that I think has to be examined is whether the gameplay is up to modern standards or not.

You look at a remake like TLOUP1 and they missed an opportunity to make it feel and play like TLOUP2, but doing so requires building the game design from scratch so that you don't end up with a situation like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, where gameplay features break the game.

You can also look at games like God of War 2018 that totally reinvent the gameplay design of a franchise. Similar but different to how GTA3 evolved from GTA2 or Mario 64 evolved from Super Mario World.

So the first question you ask is how faithful is your game going to be and is it going to be a new game i.e. a sequel or a remake.

A lot of early games have really broken game design, i.e. tank controls and pre-rendered backgrounds in RE2.

What Sony and pretty much every studio should do is do a catalog review of what games could be relevant today and find new audiences.

A few ideas

Ape Escape - Team Asobi love this series, give it to them

Jumping Flash - imagine the sense of height and vertigo playing this in VR

Parappa the Rapper - every PS5 now has a mic thanks to DuelSense, sing along Parappa anyone?

Syphon Filter - with Splinter Cell pretty much dead and Konami remaking the old MGS games, there’s surely a gap in the market here

Twister Metal/Destruction Derby - do something similar to Rocket League but with gritty graphics and ultra realistic destruction physics

Warhawk- Ace Combat 7 was great in VR, this can be too

WipEout - sorely missing from the PSVR2 lineup, how about an F-Zero 99 style mode?

Last edited:

Oof85

Ape Escape for me.

Just thinking about a new one with various gadgets and kits to tackle ape confinement makes me drool.

Them adding more mechanically dense movement options, ensuring its less banal in movement than something like Ratchet is the dream.

It would just require clever level design, and a tinker toy gameplay philosophy.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Colony Wars

And I mean a cinematic, story driven space-opera adventure, none of that open-universe nonsense or Space Fallout masquerading as fake open universe nonsense.
Give it to NDD or Sucker Punch or make a new studio from everyone fired at Ready At Dawn.
Or re-create London Studio... again... oh wait maybe not that, how many times can you close that down anyway.

Seriously though - we haven't had a good space-opera in... 3 decades?
EA ##### up Squadrons, and let's face it, Squadron 42 is never coming out and it'll be atrociously written either way.

Other than that - I'd less want a reboot and more a full-on anthology collection - RR collection - Wipeout HD style.
Make one game with content from entire franchise history, and make selectable driving models from the best ones (eg. R4, V, RR and R7) that can be selected for each track. :p

Last edited:

Mownoc

Wipeout, Lemmings, Motorstorm, Modnation Racers, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Resistance, Infamous, Killzone, Dark Cloud, SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal.

Sony have a wealth of dormamt IP.

elmos-acc

I wish they remade the first Sly game from the ground up to tell the same story but with gameplay more similar to Sly 2 and Sly 3.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I love the alternative history in Resistance and the Helghast in Killzone. I want to play as a Helghast in VR.
Resistance was truly an under rated series by the gaming community. It is a clear example of fanboy and media bias shitting on games because of the platform. For those super young the ps3 was a laughing stock to a lot of people during that time.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
owzae0zank761.gif

We have to go back!
None of that Shadow Fall shit.

Resistance was truly under rated series by the gaming community. It is a clear example of fanboy and media bias shitting on games because of platform. For those super young the ps3 was a laughing stock to ally of people during that time.

Yea, my only issue with Resistance is that I think the first one was the peak. The history was better. The deaths felt more impactful. And I really liked the health system more. In the first one you only could regen your current health segment and had to get pickups to replenish a segment. I like that a lot more than 100% regen by taking a smoke break.

llLeonhart

The legend of Dragoon.
Ape escape.
Resistance.
MAG (Yes, I think there’s a lot of opportunity here)
And I’d also like to see Infamous back.

Unknown?

Twisted Metal for sure! With everything destructible.

The Getaway 3 would actually surpass the PS3 tech demo and look amazing.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd love to see more of Vagrant Story, but with less menu management stuff and less convoluted mechanics.

Rudius

Twisted Metal for sure! With everything destructible.

The Getaway 3 would actually surpass the PS3 tech demo and look amazing.
Twisted Metal would have to be very twisted to be good. I don't know if they have any balls left hanging to do it justice.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Like I’ve always said

Ape Escape by Team Asobi

Astro Bot fans should know this haha

tommib

Killzone. Mission based. No cutscenes. No taking the control away to show me whatever. No forced walking. No endless chats about nothing. No forced stealth.

Wipeout. Aphex Twin music tracks.

emivita

everyone GIF

On a serious note, if I have to choose one, it's Ape Escape. Astro Bot will surely help gain a lot of new Ape Escape fans. Expand Team Asobi and make them work on a reboot.

Markio128

Gold Member
Colony Wars

And I mean a cinematic, story driven space-opera adventure, none of that open-universe nonsense or Space Fallout masquerading as fake open universe nonsense.
Give it to NDD or Sucker Punch or make a new studio from everyone fired at Ready At Dawn.
Or re-create London Studio... again... oh wait maybe not that, how many times can you close that down anyway.

EA ##### up Squadrons, and let's face it, Squadron 42 is never coming out and it'll be atrociously written either way.

Other than that - I'd less want a reboot and more a full-on anthology collection - RR collection - Wipeout HD style.
Make one game with content from entire franchise history, and make selectable driving models from the best ones (eg. R4, V, RR and R7) that can be selected for each track. :p
Yeah, Colony Wars scratched an itch I didn’t know that I had. And a G-Police reboot would also be cool.

envyzeal

- Legend of Dragoon - Big budget AAA RPG
- Legend of Legaia - Medium budget AA RPG
- Wild Arms - Medium budget AA RPG
- Arc the Lad - Medium budget AA TRPG
- Medievil - Medium budget AA action/platformer
- PaRappa the Rapper - small budget, obviously rhythm game but bring other franchises/songs as guests
- Resistance - Multiplayer Co-op focused
- Killzone - Single + Multi Competitive focused
- Twisted Metal - Multiplayer focused
- LBP + Astro - Just put them together and bring LBP/Sackboy build/create/share to Astro Bot framework
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - IP showcase plus you own fucking Evo, put an effort on it

Ape Escape (mobile AR?), Siren, LocoRoco and of course...KNACK

I CAN GO ALL DAY

simpatico

Gold Member
SotN source port to Steam. Not really a remake, but it's the most important rerelease that could possibly come out in gaming.

Markio128

Gold Member
Looking back, I think the game that impressed me the most on PS1 and sold me the console (other than Gran Turismo, but that IP is still running), was the original Ridge Racer. I think it’s high time that an arcade style racer blew us all away again, rather than the usual retro style racers that we seem to get a lot of. Me and a mate spent countless hours trying to beat each others lap time on that single, amazing Ridge Racer track.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
This would be awesome, especially if it kept the ‘Who killed roger rabbit?’ vibe.
Yeah it was a fun wacky little game with a unique vibe and great soundtrack. I really miss those early PS1 days where it was just an explosion of all these weird + innovative new IPs.

Zannegan

Warhawk
inFamous
Killzone
Motorstorm

In that order. Frankly though, I'd be a little scared to see what the modern industry would make of them.

Parazels

Looking back, I think the game that impressed me the most on PS1 and sold me the console (other than Gran Turismo, but that IP is still running), was the original Ridge Racer. I think it’s high time that an arcade style racer blew us all away again, rather than the usual retro style racers that we seem to get a lot of. Me and a mate spent countless hours trying to beat each others lap time on that single, amazing Ridge Racer track.
Imagine a perfect arcade port at 4k@120!

Ivan

Colony Wars

Colony Wars doesn't get the treatment it deserves because it wasn't a PC game and that was really a PC genre back in the day, so legendary PC titles get much more love. I think Colony Wars had some qualities that no other game from the genre has, even legendary ones like Freespace 2, Wing Commander etc.

Just imagine how easy would be to make a new game like that compared to some other genres in AAA today. And AAA treatment is the most important thing, because that type of game just can't work without it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom