• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of these RAM sticks should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

Kingston HyperX (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
- $282
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6-1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Blue Heatspreader - Retail
- $191
Cas Latency: 2.5 7-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.55V-2.95V

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
- $234
Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 T1
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s

Mushkin Blue Dual Pack 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
- $234
Cas Latency: 2.5-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.5V

This is for this board:
ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

Thanks in advance, as I have to idea what all those different latencies will mean for me.

Bregor

I have the Kingston HyperX PC3200 1GB Kit for my Abit IS7 MB, and I am very happy with it. Looks like prices have gone up some since I bought it, however. Corsair and Mushkin both make excellent memory also.

Slo

So what's the problem with getting Corsair value ram? Is it just not suitable for overclocking? I've got a couple sticks of PC3200 and I love it.

Chrono

Banned
all of those are DDR ram-- is that the best type now? just curious. :p

goodcow: I don't know much about memory but anand tech always either have corsair\mushkins\OCZ in their systems guide... not a useful tip I know but its' one less point for kingston and geil. =\

Bregor

Chrono said:
all of those are DDR ram-- is that the best type now? just curious. :p

goodcow: I don't know much about memory but anand tech always either have corsair\mushkins\OCZ in their systems guide... not a useful tip I know but its' one less point for kingston and geil. =\

This isn't true, they have recommended Kingston on several occasions.

xsarien

daedsiluap
goodcow said:
That article makes me want the 2-2-2-5 RAM here because of the boost in video encoding. :(

How much memory you have, and the speed of your CPU makes much more of a difference in that regard than the memory timings. Get what's tested to be compatible with your motherboard, whether it be Crucial, Kingston, whatever.

goodcow said:
That article makes me want the 2-2-2-5 RAM here because of the boost in video encoding. :(

Cripes, for the $100~150 differnce in price of the RAM for going from 3.0/2.5 to 2.0 CAS, you could easily go up couple of bins in CPU and get real measurable performance increase. $100 difference is 2.8C P4 to 3.2C P4 for cryin out loud!

goodcow

Shogmaster said:
Cripes, for the $100~150 differnce in price of the RAM for going from 3.0/2.5 to 2.0 CAS, you could easily go up couple of bins in CPU and get real measurable performance increase. $100 difference is 2.8C P4 to 3.2C P4 for cryin out loud!

I didn't say I was going to buy the 2-2-2-5 RAM, I just said it made me want it. :( Stop attacking me. Cows have feeling too. :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Goodcow, stop making so many topics about the same thing. Yes we understand you are excited about getting a new computer, but you have two RAM topics, a topic dealing on critiquing your chosen system, and then another with your final system choices.

goodcow

Wellington said:
Goodcow, stop making so many topics about the same thing. Yes we understand you are excited about getting a new computer, but you have two RAM topics, a topic dealing on critiquing your chosen system, and then another with your final system choices.

Well excuse me for asking for help. If people can post a dozen or so topics asking for help with women, I can post a dozen or so topics asking for computer help. If you don't want to help me, don't read the topic. I don't know about computer hardware anymore, and I need(ed) help, and advice.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
cant go wrong with the Kingston, Corsair, or Mushkin. Geil I havent heard all positive things about though. If your not gonna over clock any of that ram then dont worry so much about the cas latency or voltage thats just so you can overclock the speed of your processor or ram. Go for the best price out of the 3.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Actually, if I had to shift SOME of the blame on my computer's occasional antics, I'm inclined to blame the RAM, which happens to be Kingston. But I'll gladly chalk it up to just a theory. If I had to go back and do it all over again, I'd go with Crucial. Their shit is solid, never over-priced, and the 2-day shipping is (usually) free.

Matlock

Banned
goodcow said:
Well excuse me for asking for help. If people can post a dozen or so topics asking for help with women, I can post a dozen or so topics asking for computer help. If you don't want to help me, don't read the topic. I don't know about computer hardware anymore, and I need(ed) help, and advice.

As much as I hate to say it, he's got a point.

"PC junkies, help me with my upgrade" 5:12 PM 7/19/04 0 hours
"Critique the specs of my possible $799 ($779 after MIR) PC upgrade..." 1:36 PM 7/20/04 20 hours
"So the PC I finally decided on was..." 7:10 PM 7/20/04 5 hours
"ECC RAM vs. non-ECC RAM?" 9:14 AM 7/21/04 14 hours
"Which of these RAM sticks should I buy?" 9:52 AM 7/21/04 1 hour

for simplicity's sake, I rounded the numbers a bit helter-skelter

So, within 30 hours, you made 5 topics about the same dang thing. Eeech.

goodcow

So it's either:

$202.02 for 1GB Crucial, with no heatsink and a memory timing of 3
OR:
$289.89 for 1GB Crucial, with an aluminum heatsink, and a memory timing of 2

None of the Crucial memory, save the more expensive memory timing of 2, has heatsinks, and if I add one, it voids the warranty.

Is it worth the extra $87?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I've told you this like 3 times, you're going to get much better advice here:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/

People have the same mobo and CPU there.

And yes, RAM is that important. Several people have had issues with Mushkin with the IC7 MAX III.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
goodcow said:

You know what, there's also a lot of games, and sports topics. Maybe we should post more topics on piracy and gore?

Matlock said:
As much as I hate to say it, he's got a point.

"PC junkies, help me with my upgrade" 5:12 PM 7/19/04 0 hours
"Critique the specs of my possible $799 ($779 after MIR) PC upgrade..." 1:36 PM 7/20/04 20 hours
"So the PC I finally decided on was..." 7:10 PM 7/20/04 5 hours
"ECC RAM vs. non-ECC RAM?" 9:14 AM 7/21/04 14 hours
"Which of these RAM sticks should I buy?" 9:52 AM 7/21/04 1 hour

for simplicity's sake, I rounded the numbers a bit helter-skelter

So, within 30 hours, you made 5 topics about the same dang thing. Eeech.

As Matlock points out, you made 5 topics within 30 hours, could have been condensed to two, easily. People here want to help, there's just no need to post five seperate topics about the same thing. This is what I fucking get when I try to be nice about things, be happy I didn't just up and close the topics.

goodcow

Given how fast this forum moves, and how my questions changed over time, I don't see the big deal. You're making way too much out of this. Let it go.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
goodcow, look at people's sigs at abit's forums. The list their specs.

It also wouldn't hurt to post a topic asking. Just explain your hardware, and ask for recommendations for RAM that'll OC decent.

As for the Corsair RAM. It's good, but it isn't worth the money. That's the low latency crap. Focus on compatibility and OCing. Especially since it's not guaranteed to go over an FSB of 220. That's generally where Corsair PC3200 will go at max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom