• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which two dead developers would you resurrect?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Imagine you have the power to resurrect any two defunct developers, get back a substantial chunk of their original staff, and raise enough money for them to release 2-3 games with AA to low AAA budgets. The idea is that this revival wouldn't in name only; the developer would share the specific talents and design ethos of the original devs.

Who do you pick, and why? Do you have any thoughts of what you'd want them to work on?

ss_7d9f3ea19f74b2991fab81ee375ee6400caa6b24.1920x1080.jpg

sin-and-punishment-star-successor-20100624013732108-3247429.jpg

Personally, my first choice would be Treasure (I know they're technically still alive, but not really developing new games). I feel like their style of action game has aged especially well nowadays, and with a few tweaks (mainly getting some good people for story and setting) I'm convinced they could make something that has as much commercial success as critical success. For specific projects, I'd at least want a new Star Fox that's boss-heavy and shares some DNA with Sin & Punishment: Star Successor.

thief_2_1.jpg.jpg

In a close second, I'd want the return of Looking Glass Studios. It's crazy how much impact and innovation they delivered in their short years of existence, especially when it comes to stealth and immersive sims with the Thief series. As to what I'd want them to work on--anything! I wouldn't want them to just crank out another Thief (although that would no doubt be awesome), I'd want them to bring the same spirit of ambition to something completely original. I think their particular style would be well-received nowadays.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Since you already took Treasure (great choice), I’ll say Amusement Vision (original Monkey Ball 1&2 and F-Zero GX) and pre-Microsoft Rare.

Thief1987

I have a couple of studios in mind but they are still alive, it's just they are now slaves of some worthless corporations, essentially dead. Raven Software, for example.

Last edited:

nial

Treasure, like, they're still alive, but at the same time, they're not. And...
I now realize you said the same thing.
Personally, my first choice would be Treasure (I know they're technically still alive, but not really developing new games).

YuLY

-Pandemic (The Saboteur, Mercenaries)
-Ritual Entertainment (SiN, SiN Episodes Emergence, Star Trek Elite Force II)
-Gray Matter (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, COD United Offensive, Kingpin)
-Spark Unlimited (Legendary, Lost Planet 3, Turning Point, COD Finest Hour)

It is sad that I almost wrote Raven, they arent closed but relegated to COD mines. At least Cold War campaign was great.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

Oooo, great question.

There's a few..

System 3.
Have them bring out a new Last Ninja, Myth, Tusker etc

Cinemaware
Imagine 'It Came From the Desert' using modern tech!

Honorable mentions to,
Ocean software

Lucasarts (Disney bastards!)

Bullfrog

So so many.

Drake

Current Bioware is dead, or at least a zombie of what it used to be. Maybe Bioware pre-2012 when they actually used to make good games. I'd like to see that iteration of the studio resurrected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom