• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which two dead developers would you resurrect?

Iced Arcade

PV5EoA8.png
6qrD41G.png

I would ressurect early 2000s bioware and have them make knights of the old republic for current gen consoles and pc.

And Jade Empire.

Current bioware is dead to me. All the good talent is gone.

Last edited:
Climax Entertainment as they were in the early 90s and Bioware as they were in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Or... Maybe LucasArts and Westwood.. Hmm..

Last edited:

Beechos

Other than Treasure (no brainer)

Overworks - Skies of Arcadia / Sakura Taisen 3
Smilebit - JSR / JSRF / Panzer Dragoon Orta

and maybe Climax Entertainment (Shing series / Landstalker)
I was going to say whoever did the shining series too but I thought that was Camelot.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Pandemic_Studios_logo.svg

I miss the Mercenaries series. :'(

And I'd give anything to have the old pre-Frostbite DICE team back together, the guys who made Battlefield 1942 through 2142. The current EA DICE doesn't hold a candle to them.

DryvBy

Westwood Studios and not just for C&C. I want a remake of Kyrandia, Box and I want more of them.

Blizzard North. I miss seeing that logo on my 17" CRT as a teen and knowing I was going to have a great time with friends.

kevboard

THlogo.png

and I would want them to make a pixel art 2D Souls-like

secondly
Factor-5-development.jpg

Technically still kinda alive... but not really.
I would love to see them do a state of the art Star Wars Rogue Squadron reboot

RickSanchez

surprised nobody has mentioned these till now.......

ZA/UM to make more Disco Elysium games.

Arkane Studios to make more immersive sims in the same vein as Dishonored and Prey.

I know that both of these studios are not "technically" dead. But whatever remains of them now is less than a shadow of the creative powerhouses they used to be.

Last edited:
Imagine you have the power to resurrect any two defunct developers, get back a substantial chunk of their original staff, and raise enough money for them to release 2-3 games with AA to low AAA budgets. The idea is that this revival wouldn't in name only; the developer would share the specific talents and design ethos of the original devs.

Who do you pick, and why? Do you have any thoughts of what you'd

thief_2_1.jpg.jpg

In a close second, I'd want the return of Looking Glass Studios. It's crazy how much impact and innovation they delivered in their short years of existence, especially when it comes to stealth and immersive sims with the Thief series. As to what I'd want them to work on--anything! I wouldn't want them to just crank out another Thief (although that would no doubt be awesome), I'd want them to bring the same spirit of ambition to something completely original. I think their particular style would be well-received nowadays.
^ Looking Glass Studios 💪.

Or Ion Storm.

Leaked concept arts and story boards of Ion Storms Thief Dagger of Ways with Harvey Smith at helm seems more exciting than any modern games released today. And SSDs would help with this game. Even if it would be a different Thief that we know, it certainly would be better Thief than 2014.

Hell, they could even rename the game to just Dagger of Ways and make a protagonist with different name, and get rid of any Thief IP mentions. I would still play this game.

There was supposed to be a Wraith World similar to Soul Reaver. And to The Void from Dishonored- and as I suspect some of these devs got to work in Arkane along with Harvey.

The Timepiece from Dishonored 2 might be inspired by Dagger of Ways but it also might be a stretch.

Clockwork Mansion is definitely inspired by Constantine Mansion from Thief 1.

Last edited:

Ben87fr

Bioware and Rocksteady, what do you mean they're alive ? They're already dead to me (shit someone beat me to it)

Last edited:
Visceral Games as I loved Dante's Inferno on the PSP & Lionhead as Fable: The Lost Chapters (on PC) was my childhood.

Zipper & Westwood created the absolute banger of a game called Recoil, I was too scared to play at that time so I would watch my uncle play it and my role was to just switch weapons :)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Old Rockstar Games, back when they were doing multiple projects, each studio having their own game as well as providing help.
Sir, you are not asking for a developer back, you are asking for a time machine.

Those same fucking people exactly won't just magically advance how fast it takes to suddenly make a fucking game lol

I don't think Rockstar is doing that based on some fucking "new" thing, that is the current state of the industry, no one is immune to that ,even Insomniac. They make games at a amazing rate and even they are not doing some yearly type thing like prior.

Konami - Castlevania , Silent Hill , Zone of the Enders , Metal Gear , Suikoden

Sacnoth/Nautilus/Aruze - Shadow Hearts
I wasn't going to really add one until this lol

Konami slaughtered themselves like no other. Even of those IP come back, they don't have homes in terms of teams, so I agree, those teams being reunited would be pretty amazing.

Kojima productions is like the last hope we have for those ex-Konami developers at this point

Kasane89

Neo Member
Treasure is my number 1. Guardian Heroes, Sin&Punishment, RSG, Ikaruga...rip.

Then maybe Smilebit before they got massacred by Sega, so they can make a Panzer Dragoon Orta 2.

Top Bottom