• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

Kaladin

Yeah I've been to key west but I wasn't crazy about it. But Key Largo etc... is awesome for snorkeling/scuba diving.

I've taken two trips down to the keys at this point. The first was an extended weekend in Key West where I saw the tourist stuff and got drunk every night.....Captain Tony's was the best place for me there. The second trip I got a place around Islamorada and used that as a base to explore Key Largo and the other keys.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
We should have a Central Florida-GAF meet at Winter Park or Dr. Phillips?

Actually there is stuff to do here... The problem is you have to know where to look or else you miss it.

Mind offering some suggestions? Because I went down there last year for a FSU game and couldn't find anything. I plan on going down there again this year and would like some more ideas on how to fill my time while I'm down there.

matt360

Tallahassee

There is stuff to do here... There really is!

Seriously? I lived there for six years and didn't really find anything aside from the two malls, a handful of amazing cafes, and Momo's pizza, which is incredible. And they did have a couple of decent comic shops.

I do think the FSU campus is beautiful though, with all of the red brick buildings and oak trees and Spanish moss. I would love to go back up to Tally and just walk around the campus. Haven't been back in 7 years so I'd like to see how it has changed.

pCeSlAyEr

Mind offering some suggestions? Because I went down there last year for a FSU game and couldn't find anything. I plan on going down there again this year and would like some more ideas on how to fill my time while I'm down there.
Depends on what you like and when you come... Mission San Luis, Maclay Gardens, jr history museum, the art park, horse back riding, fighting game tournaments, 7 days of opening nights, indoor rock climbing...

http://www.visittallahassee.com/events/

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
You know, one place I wouldn't mind doing a GAF meet up would be 4Rivers, because guuuurl, that stuff is mad tasty.

Camp Lo

Banned
Well it would not be hard to top irish weather.

Edit: I just googled Alamonte mall. I was there last year in May. nice place but it was fairly empty. Not a lot of people around. But thats where I seen the Lids shop.

I checked this afternoon and it is the Lids Locker Room where I picked up my Garnett throwback. I could have sworn it was a different name at the time. I forgot what jersey you was looking for--I think Oklahoma City for some reason. They seem to have the real deal there, not a huge selection though. I wish I could have taken a picture for you but I had the misses with me.

Winter Park would be cool.

Lol there's nothing to do in Winter Park though. Dat CityWalk would be my suggestion.

Ferny

Lol there's nothing to do in Winter Park though. Dat CityWalk would be my suggestion.

This is true, I was just going off of those two choices. I would agree though that CityWalk would be a way better option as there would be more things to do in a smaller area than anything in Winter Park.

Camp Lo

Banned
This is true, I was just going off of those two choices. I would agree though that CityWalk would be a way better option as there would be more things to do in a smaller area than anything in Winter Park.

I hear ya, If it wasn't for the Cheesecake Factory, I couldn't give a good reason to drive through Winter Park, tbqh.

Necrovex

Tampa, St. Pete, and Sarasota-Gaf should really have a meetup sometime soon. I remember one meetup in Tampa, which had three Gaffers (including myself). We should really try that again.

Hell, there was another Florida meetup a few years back where I met one of my tightest Gaffer bros.

kaskade

A lot of people talk bad about florida but is it really as bad as people say. I know there are going to be some shitty areas. I assume it's best to stay towards the coast. My family is thinking of moving down there eventually and I might just go with depending on my job situation at the time and everything. I've only been to east coast though. We have some friends that live in the north palm area and it seems like a nice enough place the couple of times I've been there. I just can't take the winter cold anymore.

Camp Lo

Banned
A lot of people talk bad about florida but is it really as bad as people say. I know there are going to be some shitty areas. I assume it's best to stay towards the coast. My family is thinking of moving down there eventually and I might just go with depending on my job situation at the time and everything. I've only been to east coast though. We have some friends that live in the north palm area and it seems like a nice enough place the couple of times I've been there. I just can't take the winter cold anymore.

Been here 90% of my life and it's been awesome. We have the same drudges as any other place with the exception of having awesome weather year round and no state tax.

Currently living in Key West. It's.. interesting. Cost of living is a pain in the ass having just come from Central Texas and I'm not digging so few options for stores and the like. Overall though it's not too bad. Can't really go out here though since it's such a party town. It's pretty awesome having the shore about 15 feet from my backdoor.

I say that now but I'll hate it if (knock on wood) another big storm comes through while I'm here).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I lived in New York City for 20 years. It's a shit hole virtually no matter where you live. If it isn't the crime that's bothering you, it's the awful taxes, the awful driving conditions, the hazardous road quality, the weather, the cost of living, inadequate quality of food, the people, etc.

I bought a house in central Florida recently and I can't imagine being anywhere else. If you're family is looking to move to Florida, look around the Windermere area, it's one of the most prestigious areas.

Every state has awful areas they aren't proud of, even New York (Bronx, many parts of upstate such as Orange, Yonkers, parts of east-most Long Island, etc).

Necrovex

I shit on Florida a lot, but it depends on where in the state you live. I am not a big fan of Tampa, but I really dig Sarasota. The ability of being near a beach is quite awesome (if you are a fan of beaches). The major problem with Florida's weather is the humidity.

Kaladin

Currently living in Key West. It's.. interesting. Cost of living is a pain in the ass having just come from Central Texas and I'm not digging so few options for stores and the like. Overall though it's not too bad. Can't really go out here though since it's such a party town. It's pretty awesome having the shore about 15 feet from my backdoor.

I say that now but I'll hate it if (knock on wood) another big storm comes through while I'm here).

Wanna trade places?

Have you tried going out on one of the keys just off Key West? There are a few cool places in Big Pine Key.

Ramsiege

Quoted for fucking truth. Atlanta is barely okay, but it doesn't have shit on Broward County.

Atlanta is garbage!

Savannah on the other hand, is awesome! Grew up near Savannah and did my undergrad there, and it is one of the most beautiful cities in the US, especially the downtown area.

Wanna trade places?

Have you tried going out on one of the keys just off Key West? There are a few cool places in Big Pine Key.

I haven't really gone out to the other keys at all yet but I'll probably end up checking out Marathon and Big Pine. It might be awhile before that happens though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Even after all these years, it still blows my mind that I'm in Broward County, and it still takes four hours to get to Key West.

Even after all these years, it still blows my mind that I'm in Broward County, and it still takes four hours to get to Key West.

Yeah that absolutely kills the appeal of living so close to Miami. 6-8 hours round trip just to go to a Best Buy or something is awful. Made doubly so by having to go 35-45mph all through the keys.

Kaladin

I haven't really gone out to the other keys at all yet but I'll probably end up checking out Marathon and Big Pine. It might be awhile before that happens though.

If I remember correctly, No Name Bar up in Big Pine was the best place I went to near Key West. If you go north of Key Largo though, almost to the mainland on Card Sound Rd is a place called Alabama Jacks that is just awesome. I make a stop there when I head down to the keys.

Yeah that absolutely kills the appeal of living so close to Miami. 6-8 hours round trip just to go to a Best Buy or something is awful. Made doubly so by having to go 35-45mph all through the keys.

It's a 10 hour drive from where I live in South GA to Key West, and half that time is Miami -> Key West.....and who knows how long it is if the 1 is backed up.

Messi

I checked this afternoon and it is the Lids Locker Room where I picked up my Garnett throwback. I could have sworn it was a different name at the time. I forgot what jersey you was looking for--I think Oklahoma City for some reason. They seem to have the real deal there, not a huge selection though. I wish I could have taken a picture for you but I had the misses with me.

Thanks man. Yeah it was OKC and the Lakers I was looking for.

matt360

How much and how feasible is it to just fly from Miami to Key West? Serious question. I've never been to the Keys despite being born in West Palm and growing up in Central Florida. Do they have no fuss flights that'll get you there quick without costing an arm and a leg? Or is it something only rich people can do?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I just did a quick check on Expedia and it looks like it would cost about $400 round trip, and takes about an hour each way. Probably not worth it when you consider you're only saving a couple of hours when you account for the hassle of the airport.

Kaladin

How much and how feasible is it to just fly from Miami to Key West? Serious question. I've never been to the Keys despite being born in West Palm and growing up in Central Florida. Do they have no fuss flights that'll get you there quick without costing an arm and a leg? Or is it something only rich people can do?

You probably just want to drive Miami to KW.

Top Bottom