• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is next to leave EU? Denmark? Italy?

What will be the next EU exit?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ance-Holland-Denmark-all-call-for-referendums

Brexit SPREADS across Europe: Italy, France, Holland and Denmark ALL call for referendums
POLITICIANS across Europe have called for their own referendums in the wake of Britain's historic decision to quit the EU.

Brexit is a huge blow to Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's Democratic Party and was hailed by supporters of 5-Star as a possible springboard to Italian independence.

In France, National Front party leader Marine Le Pen promised voters their own referendum as she declared her support for Brexit.

She said: “I would have voted for Brexit. France has a thousand more reasons to leave than the UK because we have the euro and Schengen.

"This result shows the EU is decaying, there are cracks everywhere.”

Experts across the continent warned today that Brexit would lead to the entire break-up of Europe.

The leader of the far-right Danish People’s Party says Denmark should now follow Britain’s lead and hold a referendum on its membership.

Party leader Kristian Thulesen Dahls said if the Danish parliament cannot agree on reforms with the EU a referendum could give Denmark a new opportunity.

That guy from Denmark actually was on NPR this morning saying Denmark is next and he is pushing for it.

So euro gaf why the hell is everyone wanting to get out of the EU? And do you think any of the mentioned countries would hold their own referendums?

E-phonk

Banned
So euro gaf why the hell is everyone wanting to get out of the EU? And do you think any of the mentioned countries would hold their own referendums?

Because most of those people/parties (Wilders, Le Penn, ...) are extreme right and/or eurosceptic parties? They never liked the EU to begin with. Ofcourse the brexit gives them new fuel to cause some eurochaos.

Personally I don't think other nations will leave unless things happen that make the far right grow further.

weekev

Banned
it-starts-o.gif

wrowa

Obviously all the right-wing parties across Europe will ask for their own referendum. That doesn't mean they'll get them, however (nor does it mean that "everyone" wants out).

El-Suave

I almost can't wait for the first country to have the Euro be so stupid to vote leave in a referendum. The consequences would be much more severe for any of them. I hope sanity wins in the future.

Wasn't Expess an outlet heavily pushing for the Brexit?

Still, how sad is it that a british outlet is using quotes from far-right nutjobs to make the idea of leaving the EU an attractive one?

They should add some Trump quotes, to make it look even more "international" ....

Alx

So euro gaf why the hell is everyone wanting to get out of the EU?

Yeah it's not really "Italy, France, etc." who are calling for referendums, but specific politicians there who are calling for them. The kind of people who have been against EU for years. It doesn't mean it will happen, especially in countries where said people aren't governing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But I like how this has become British leavers' fantasy. Until yesterday they were all for independence and make Britain great again on its own and now "who's with us? somebody? anybody? ".

Dinjooh

Obviously all the right-wing parties across Europe will ask for their own referendum. That doesn't mean they'll get them, however (nor does it mean that "everyone" wants out).

Yuup. Denmark ain't leaving any time soon. Latest polls show a large majority in favour of EU.

No government is going to do a referendum about this for a long time. So unless one of the anti-EU parties wins an absolute majority, it isn't going to happen.

Sadly, this doesn't mean we don't have to hear that anti-EU bullshit for the next years still and see it growing louder because politicians are happy to still blame it for their own shortcomings and the EU is terrible at highlighting their accomplishments.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
France leaving the EU would be weird since they basically are the EU along with Germany...at least as it all began way back when.

BadHand

But I like how this has become British leavers' fantasy. Until yesterday they were all for independence and make Britain great again on its own and now "who's with us? somebody? anybody? ".

The UK was the only country in the EU with a right-wing party pushing for independence?

Zophar

Even if other nations attempt to, I don't think anybody will be stupid enough to put it to a simple majority referendum again.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The UK was the only country in the EU with a right-wing party pushing for independence?

That's not the point. The point is that Leave thinks UK will be better alone, so why is now looking over the fence for allies? Why does it needs allies if it's better alone? Maybe the reality kicked in?

It's a domino effect.

No, it's not. The negotiations EU-UK will make sure to avoid that.

Carroway

For all the talk that the Danish Folk Party has done.. General consensus among Danes, when the question has arisen, have been that we are stronger with the EU than without it. Of course there are major differences in the fine print but I think, without being an expert, that people would vote to continue a EU partnership.

Yes.. Danes are EU skeptic but not to the same degree that Britain has been, also I highly doubt that any referendum or vote of that nature would come so soon after the British exit on account of it being too early to tell what the actual ramifications of it actually is. If Britain is better off outside the EU, then I think you will see the EU start to dismantle, but until the dust settles and we start getting a better picture of what the actual consequences are, most of the rumblings will remain as just that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The majority government in the UK was not pushing for independence.

British prime-minister was elected on the promise of organising a referendum for Leave. When there will be another European leader elected based on a similar promise there is something to discuss about it. Until then is just bollocks.

I always thought of the EU being the seed that would eventually lead to the nation's and people of earth to become a type 1 civilization. Now it feels like the EU may fail.

Hopefully this doesn't lead to more nations leaving the EU.

BadHand

British prime-minister was elected on the promise of organising a referendum for Leave. When there will be another European leader elected based on a similar promise there is something to discuss about it. Until then is just bollocks.

Referendums don't happen solely due to election pledges.

Asserting that UK leaders are intentionally trying to drag other EU countries into independence is bollocks. EU countries have held referendums relating to EU membership before UK and they will hold them after the UK.

panzone

Nodoby. There won't be any referendum anywhere in EU anytime soon.

Actually this October in Italy we'll have one of the most important referendum in our history.

In any case, in Italy a referendum can't revoke an international treaty so I don't think we're next.

In italy the constitution prevent any kind of referendum over foreign affairs and international treaty.
A party should have the power to became the first party of the nation, reform the constitution (which is pretty difficult here) and then they can do the referendum.
And in Italy you can be sure that if it's not some sort of populist party, the establishment will ignore the result of a referendum.
Won't happen soon, but might happen. And even the biggest anti-establishment party in italy, beppe grillo's m5s, has stated that they want to stay in the eu (after years ago they said that the eu was pure madness)

Mael

France?
There's only 1 delusional party there who's stupid enough to want out of the EU, they got roasted 4 years ago about their hilariously Trumpesc plan for what was France to do when they would leave the EU.
On top of that these fuckers don't even go farther than "we want to leave" part of their argumentation.
Morons preying on cretins is what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom