• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't evangelical Christians openly blamed for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most evangelicals and Christians in general did not want trump, but felt it was the lesser evil or still in their better interest overall than Hillary. I suspect most evangelicals would have preferred a Cruz or Carson ticket. Also Pence as VP, who does seem genuine in his faith, went a long way in helping them swallow the bitter trump pill.

This is wrong. White evangelicals preferred Cruz, but they really like Trump too. White evangelicals are the only major group to give Trump a positive favorability rating.

tuxfool

Banned
In the primary, yes, and IIRC the white evangelical vote was discussed a lot during the primary. I took the question to be about blame for the outcome of the general election. I mean, sure, he wouldn't have won the general election if he hadn't won the primary, but this is again one of those things that everyone already knows.

I was talking in comparison to the candidates shown in the OP's list.

-Lesser of Two Evils
-It's a two party system, can't get around that
-it'd be privileged to not vote or vote 3rd party as a "protest" when the other candidate wants to do all sorts of horrible things that you oppose
-purity politics is silly and immature, vote for the party closest to your ideals regardless of who it is

Also, Pence.

Aren't they the forerunners of alternative facts?

Yeah all my Christian friends voted for him and are still very happy about him, calling him "the choice of God".

It's because for many abortion is a deal breaker. If you believe that it's murder, even if you agree with it being legal, you're going to go for the political party that sees it as a necessary evil vs a free service provided to all.

White people is a much wider statement that's less likely to offend. Christians tend to get really upset when they get blamed for anything.

i thought it was common knowledge that the brainwashed "christian" voters are responsible for a lot of it

even if they're not "real" christians, it's more of a correlation than has been reinforcing itself for decades

religious fanaticism is much more common in the places that lean Republican

AJLma

Evangelicals are always on the lookout from being demonized by the "Illuminati". As soon as someone points the finger at them they start throwing around the same talking points as neo-nazis.

akira28

can't remember the last time something was blamed on evangelicals that actually stuck, that they were actually held responsible for, or that they actually felt any guilt or remorse over.

Blame them all you want. They have gods on their side. and a bunch of personal Jesuses too.

FT_16.11.09_Relig_ExitPoll_ReligRace.png

I want to be really clear that I am only talking about evangelical Christians. Christians of other denominations typically voted in a much more responsible way, are comfortable with science in the public sphere, have a love of democracy, and so on. This is not an "anti-Christian" post, this is a post calling out a group of dangerous fanatics that are taking control of our country.

Stop pussy footing around. Your stats don't show that at all. The only groups in that list voting for Trump as a majority are white Catholics, Protestants, Mormon And Evangelicals

I can't even take this back to religion as much as I'd like to. The theme that continues to stand out there is white people. And clearly the less educated you are (evangelical, Mormon) the more likely you are to vote Trump

The sad thing is clearly the more religious you are, the more likely you are a hypocrite bigot. Especially if you are white

There is no reality in which the Left doesn't blame Christians for voting GOP.

This.

Also, ragging on religion, especially Christianity, is a GAF pastime.

I think if folks here knew more Christians, they might understand evangelicals better than just looking at a spreadsheet or graph. I don't think y'all fully appreciate how serious (conservative) Christians are when they are when they say "abortion is murder."

Certainly more serious than "taxation is theft."

"I really don't want to vote for Hillary but she's better than Trump" is nowhere near the conviction of "Roe v Wade must be overturned at all costs--even if it ruins me and my children in this life, God will reward me in heaven for seeing his work through."

We're talking the ephemeral vs the eternal.

wildfire

Banned
They're behind every GOP win, so it's not like they were entirely ignored, they were just de-emphasized in favor of the newly emergent weirdness of the alt-right and the return to openly white identity politics.

As things settle, I imagine our gaze will return to them. There's definitely something new and revealing about them, that they'd back Trump despite him standing for... just about everything Christians normally are disgusted by. The face of the GOP as we knew it was largely a preened image to appeal to this exact voting base; Trump pretty much acted like the devil himself throughout his campaign and still pulled them in without issue.

Best post in this thread. I was confused by the reactions because after reading the chart Evangelicals voted republican the same way no matter who ran. They deserve some extra scorn only by merit of Trump being the opposite of everything they clearly don't stand for but claim they do.

White people as a block screwed up in thinking Trump was a solution.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The juxtaposition of Christian values against the disdain for minorities is hardly new in the history of the United States.

Faiz

Edit: Decided the way I wrote it sounds like I'm throwing shade at statistics and statisticians so I'm just gonna beg out.

Ekai

This.

I think if folks here knew more Christians, they might understand evangelicals better than just looking at a spreadsheet or graph. I don't think y'all fully appreciate how serious (conservative) Christians are when they are when they say "abortion is murder."

"I really don't want to vote for Hillary but she's better than Drumpf" is nowhere near the conviction of "Roe v Wade must be overturned at all costs--even if it ruins me and my children in this life, God will reward me in heaven for seeing his work through."

When the right-wing's political policies ruin the lives of millions, I have to say there's a lot more weight on "our" side.
Making it a competition and on top of that giving these people more weight is ridiculous. Their shit isn't eternal. They are however eternally fucking over millions of others.

This.

"I really don't want to vote for Hillary but she's better than Trump" is nowhere near the conviction of "Roe v Wade must be overturned at all costs--even if it ruins me and my children in this life, God will reward me in heaven for seeing his work through."

I don't think anyone is accusing them of lack of seriousness. It's more like lack of correctness, and lack of constitution-ness.

FStubbs

If you genuinely believe that abortion is baby murder, then it's not unreasonable for that to be the one and only decisive issue.

Yeah, except evangelicals were voting for conservatives and bigots before 1973. The shift of evangelicals from Democrat to Republican coincided with the Civil Rights movement, not with abortion or gay rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom