• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why dont you own Otogi 2 yet?

WarPig

MrAngryFace said:
My god, the "statue" level or the "boat" level, its just..the way your character moves. The imagery. Its sooo awesome.

Those fucking paper things in the statue level annoyed the hell out of me.

The boat level is super pretty, though, especially when the boss boat finally comes out of the mist. And you get to use flying tree guy in that level, which is a hoot.

DFS.

the statue level is now one of the best moments in gaming for me. This game has some of the best visuals of this generation.

WarPig

It has great art direction. Which is still so strange to me, because I never thought From Software had an interesting-looking game in them. For years they do boring Armored Core and boring King's Field and then all of a sudden they go completely off the chain and do this shit.

DFS.

aku:jiki

I think my favorite visual in the game, so far, is the pond underneath the big spider boss. It just looks so nice and tranquil and pretty and green and stuff.

I thought Frame Gride had decent art direction, it was sorta Five Star Stories-esque.

And yes, Otogi 2 is awesomeness. I like all of the characters too, they're all fun for different reasons.

Mrbob

Is it 20 dollars already?

I didn't like Otogi 'cause everything felt floaty and the characters attacks seemed like they were in slow motion.

WarPig

Jugendstil said:
I thought Frame Gride had decent art direction, it was sorta Five Star Stories-esque.

It wasn't Five Star Stories-esque, it was pretty much straight Five Star Stories.

But yeah, that was one odd exception back then. I always thought it was funny they never went back to it on PS2, just made six more Armored Cores or whatever...

DFS.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mrbob said:

I didn't like Otogi 'cause everything felt floaty and the characters attacks seemed like they were in slow motion.

No, but it's worth every penny. It's about 10x the game the first was. Presentation is second to none...but now the combat is fantastic.

Spike

Because I only have enough money for 3 games, so I'm spreading the love over all three systems. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Halo 2, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. It'll have to wait until next year.

Gorey

The "flying boats" level later on in the game is pure visual bliss. Flipping through the sky with Sadamitsu = heaven.

Fongul

gunstarhero said:
waiting for my lame ass Blockbuster to get it in....

They do have it in....just for rent (bah!) A buddy of mine just traded a lot of DVD's in and was tempted to just rent the game and keep it (and damn well worth the $50 they would charge him)

Teddman

Does the magic still steadily decrease in the sequel, forcing you to constantly kill enemies or eventually see your life drain away?

RiZ III said:
What was that? Mash a bunch of buttons to destroy everything in your path?
One level you'll be standing around on a boat, trying not to let it sink. The next you'll be running your fastest through a narrow path to make it to the end before dying. After that, you'll be chased by a gigantic insect towards the screen. And then there's the one where you're following a light and can't leave it alone for too long or it'll die. Also, of course, the one where you're supposed to smash pillars in the water while the water kills you.

I mean, it's fine if you don't like the game, but please don't let your ass do the talking for you.

Miburou

Mrbob said:

That's how it felt to me when I played the demo of Otogi 2.

SaitoH

Mrbob said:

I hated the first game. It was a pretty Shinobi with controls that were complete shit. With 10 billion games being released this fall, I have no desire what-so-ever to even try the sequel. I'm sure if I wait till after Christmas I'll get one for 10 bucks anyway.

I rented it. Beautiful game, but the camera is just horrible. I mean if anyone can play and love Otogi 2 and complain about Ninja Gaiden's camera then I have to laugh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
aku:jiki said:
One level you'll be standing around on a boat, trying not to let it sink. The next you'll be running your fastest through a narrow path to make it to the end before dying. After that, you'll be chased by a gigantic insect towards the screen. And then there's the one where you're following a light and can't leave it alone for too long or it'll die. Also, of course, the one where you're supposed to smash pillars in the water while the water kills you.

I mean, it's fine if you don't like the game, but please don't let your ass do the talking for you.

Wait, are you talking about the original or the sequel? I remember the original being quite repetitive...

Deku Tree

I got the first one for $10. It was a great game. I plan on picking up the second one eventually for $10 or $20. I can wait.

Ok, camera bitching, control bitching, get a grip.

Next, slow motion. The combat in Otogi 2 is all about grace. It was an amazing experience weaving through enemies and their assaults with a grace that only comes from a warrior with true skill. Putting them down is equally fun.

Like its look, the combat in Otogi 2 is art.

dark10x said:
Wait, are you talking about the original or the sequel? I remember the original being quite repetitive...
I'm talking about the original and well... I didn't make that list of levels up or anything.

I mean, yeah, every level comes down to you pressing the attack button but so? It's an action game. If it is to be damned for being "repetetive", what game isn't?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I played the demo. worst camera ever.

and besides that i didn't know what the hell was going on.

i hated that demo. is there a reason i should try out the full game?

Mrbob

Well, after reading this thead, I played the Otogi 2 demo. It looks pretty, that is for sure. But it feels like Otogi. And for me that is not a good thing. It's not that the gameplay is horrible. But I just hate the way the character attacks. Maybe it's too much Ninja Gaiden playing, I dunno, but when I attack in Otogi 2 it just feels so slow and I hate it. Still fun to bash enemies into different structures and have them crumble.

I have the same mindsight in Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors. I need to use characters that can strike fast. I hate using the big bulking characters that move slow and attack slow. I noticed a character selection screen in Otogi. I might have to see if a different character suits my needs better.

The demo levels are the games absolute weakest, the statue level just feels so fucking epic.

No game is for everyone, just a shame people miss out on seeing some of the later levels.

briefcasemanx said:
I played the demo. worst camera ever.

and besides that i didn't know what the hell was going on.

i hated that demo. is there a reason i should try out the full game?

No, I dont want a person like you playing it.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Damn my iron clad budget, I'll see what I can do this month to squeeze it in. MAF you are the enemy of my wallet!

Gorey

Like its look, the combat in Otogi 2 is art.

IAWTP

I can sorta understand frustration with the camera (although Gaiden was FAR worse, and still superlative), but frustration with the controls...what?

Love this game. I actually skipped election coverage just to knock demons around. And yeah, that spider boss fight rocks.

RAIKOH/SUETAKE 2008

dark10x

I'm talking about the original and well... I didn't make that list of levels up or anything.

I mean, yeah, every level comes down to you pressing the attack button but so? It's an action game. If it is to be damned for being "repetetive", what game isn't?

Hey, defend it all you like...I wanted to love the game, but it just didn't do anything for me.

Has the sequel seen enough changes to make it worth trying as well?

dark10x said:
Hey, defend it all you like...I wanted to love the game, but it just didn't do anything for me.

Has the sequel seen enough changes to make it worth trying as well?
Well, like I said to RiZ... It's fine if you don't like it. I just can't stand when people throw out "repetetive" like some kinda buzz word. I feel like it's one of those things people think sounds like a smart thing to say, yet they have no idea what they're talking about. (Not referring specifically to you, dark.)

I'd say the game isn't different enough, as the engine and fundamental basics are still the same, but perhaps you'll click with the various characters and stuff. If you didn't absolutely despise the first one, at least give #2 a rental and see. Seeing all the purty graphics should be motivation enough for at least a rental! :D

dark10x

Well, like I said to RiZ... It's fine if you don't like it. I just can't stand when people throw out "repetetive" like some kinda buzz word. I feel like it's one of those things people think sounds like a smart thing to say, yet they have no idea what they're talking about. (Not referring specifically to you, dark.)

I'd say the game isn't different enough, as the engine and fundamental basics are still the same, but perhaps you'll click with the various characters and stuff. If you didn't absolutely despise the first one, at least give #2 a rental and see. Seeing all the purty graphics should be motivation enough for at least a rental! :D

I know what I'm talking about with the original game. It wasn't awful or anything, but each mission simply lacked something and it never managed to pull me in. I found myself completing segments simply to see the next set of visuals.

I suppose I simply expected something else and was disappointed when it failed to deliver.

Perhaps I might be able to enjoy the sequel more due to lower expectations? Who knows...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't know if you would enjoy it, but I know that beyond the beautiful presentation I got pretty sick of part 1. With part 2, the battling is not a chore, and I think it has to do with better levels, slightly less roaming camera and a less intensive requirement for "charging" your life meter. Those small things made a huge difference. Also, the new characters honestly feel different to me. The beauty of the game now adds to the gameplay rather than offering a contrast to it.

I'm pretty biased when it comes to games that have animate vegetable matter -- Deku Scrub > Link -- but...

FLYING. TREE. GUY! is the new Treesus Christ.

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:
Suetake is the flora all men aspire to be. Man, things would be a LOT different if I had my own Chaos Wheel.

It looks like the old Moorcockian chaos symbol, but it's actually a Buddhist icon in this context. Symbolizes the Eightfold Path and all that.

DFS.

RiZ III

dark10x said:
It wasn't awful or anything, but each mission simply lacked something and it never managed to pull me in. I found myself completing segments simply to see the next set of visuals.

I suppose I simply expected something else and was disappointed when it failed to deliver.

This man speaks the truth.

Top Bottom