• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why hasn't there been HD remakes of the original Ridge Racer and Tekken games?

It kind of boggles my mind we've not see visual updates of these games, beyond the PSP games.

For Ridge Racer ideally, compilations containing a Original Mode with the original arcade games Ridge Racer and semi-sequel Ridge Racer 2, the PlayStation game Ridge Racer Revolution.

And an HD Mode, not based on the PSP games, with more detail, maybe even remixed tracks, and original gameplay in tact.

And maybe an Enhanced Mode containing aspects of the PSP game, like the Turbo Boost, and new remixes of the games' music.

Somewhat similar idea for the first three Tekken games...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Namco can't even bother to get the Xbox version of Tekken 7 running higher than 720p on the X and you want them to remake older games?

Because its an ongoing franchise (s). Its like wanting a remake of MK1 with its 7 fighters VS MK11 of today. They barely got proper funding to make T7 and SF4&5. They wont waste time on an even less selling title.

Theres no RR this generation but I believe RR6 was last plus the PSP titles. Remakes work great to bring back a franchise but if its somewhat recent, no point. Nobody would want a NFS1 remake, maybe NFS3 remake but it still wont sell because theres another 20 NFS titles to chose from.

Because Tekken 1 and even Ridge Racer 1 are super-dated and were significantly bettered by immediate sequels. I.e there's really not much a good reason. And for games like Tekken, it's not like the sequels were completely different from the predecessors in game mechanics, something that happens with Street Fighter regularly.

At least Tekken 7 should have a low-poly Tekken 1 graphics mode option. That'd be a kick.

I would kill for a Namco Arcade and Sega Am2 compilation.

Especially the games that never really left the arcades. Dancing Eyes, Dirt Dash, Armadillo Racing, Daytona 2, Sega Water Ski, Over-Rev, Harley Davidson LA Riders, Top Skater, Propeller Cycle etc.

I hope Arcade1Up or someone considers an arcade emulator someday with a half-model arcade racer cabinet. Even if it's like $500-$600 and comes with like three arcade racers I'd definitely consider picking it up.

Last edited:
Ridge Racer arcade was just one track. What exactly are you remastering? Just add it to a Ridge Racer 9 as a classic bonus mode.

Arcade versions of Namcos early 3D titles are hard to port and modify for modern consoles because of how those original arcade machines were built. That's why there are exclusive arcade games made by many developers, from Midway to Capcom, that may never see ports outside emulation. You also need to consider many of these companies see no financial value in putting in the man-hours to bring these games over.

When Microsoft reverse engineered the Xbox version of Phantom Dust to bring it to BC, that was because they expected the niche audience for the game to make up the costs. I don't see many people wanting to replay anything before Ridge Racer 4 so a collection would be unnecessary.

Now an HD REMAKE of Ridge Racer 4 or V with new tracks, fresh car models, and 4K graphics? Yes please. A remake of Tekken 1 with cutscenes and new character models? I'd consider it.

Zero7

I'd love a collection of RR1-V and Rave. Ridge Racer took a massive down turn when they skewed the handling and added nitro.

As for RRunbounded and RRvita , that's a whole other story.

Guess Namco just doesn't give a shit for the series anymore, it's a damn Shame as Rage Racer and Ridge V are two of the best racers ever imo.

stranno

Playstation 2's Tekken Tag Tournament and Dreamcast's Soul Calibur are, technically, remakes/remasters.

ttt_a.jpg
soulcalibur_b.png

The original arcade games were System 12 games, just a Playstation with twice the video RAM.

Birdo

Banned
Imagine a Ridge Racer collection...

All the cars are unlicenced fantasy ones too, so there is no excuse for them not re-releasing or remastering.

Top Bottom