• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
with a Q3/Q4 launch, at the earliest, I think they will start manufacturing Cafes after the holidays. that should create enough supply for several months in all 3 major territories

NateDrake said:
IGN reported that same information before, too.

The report comes from the Foxcon company, I believe.
They're the ones that make Nintendo systems.
So yeah, production starting in October is likely for a launch mid-late next year.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Was Keighley being sarcastic when he congratulated Pachter on his Wii HD prediction? Congratulations - you predicted Nintendo will have another conosle!

Fantastical said:
Was Keighley being sarcastic when he congratulated Pachter on his Wii HD prediction? Congratulations - you predicted Nintendo will have another conosle!
And that it will be HD. It's not like Nintendo has basically stated their next system will be HD. Pachter is so forward thinking.

Hiro

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
And that it will be HD. It's not like Nintendo has basically stated their next system will be HD. Pachter is so forward thinking.

Because you knew an 8th gen console would be anounced this year, right? (rhetorical question, don't bother answering)

I was under the impression that the 8th gen of consoles wouldn't start for another 17 years or 30 years or 100 years because most comments I read were "I don't want the next xbox 360/ps3, I'll be fine with the xbox 360/ps3 for the next 17 years".

Verendus

Banned
Wow.

I can't believe this is already announced. I guess E3 will reveal everything. I never adopt systems early but if this releases for £299 and has backwards compatibility, I think I'll buy it in the 2012 holidays.

I already have this list of games I want to play on Wii:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
MadWorld
Red Steel 2
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Sonic Colours
Wario Land: Shake It!
Disney Epic Mickey
Super Smash Bro. Brawl
Tatsunoko VS. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Super Paper Mario
Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

I'm sure that will keep me company until Wii 2 picks up steam and releases bigger and better games.

wsippel

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
Why do we care what Pachter says? He probably knows just as much as we do
Because knowing that is actually his and his company's job? I believe quite a few people have a really hard time understanding what Pachter is actually doing all day. Hint: Pach-Attack, Bonus Round and insane predictions on gaming sites are just for fun.

Boney

Banned
Hiro said:
Because you knew an 8th gen console would be anounced this year, right? (rhetorical question, don't bother answering)

I was under the impression that the 8th gen of consoles wouldn't start for another 17 years or 30 years or 100 years because most comments I read were "I don't want the next xbox 360/ps3, I'll be fine with the xbox 360/ps3 for the next 17 years".
mymymymymymymy

we got a feisty one!

wsippel said:
Because knowing that is actually his and his company's job? I believe quite a few people have a really hard time understanding what Pachter is actually doing all day. Hint: Pach-Attack, Bonus Round and insane predictions on gaming mags are just for fun.
and an extra paycheck

antonz

If Production starts in October it will launch no later than June 2012 all but guaranteed. End of june would close out Quarter 2 of the FY and be platform launch time

M74

Hiro said:
Because you knew an 8th gen console would be anounced this year, right?
Neither did Pachter, really. He's been predicting an HD Wii revision for almost four years. His timing has been off and, if these rumors are true, this is an all new console that has nothing to do with the Wii outside of BC.

From The Dust said:
actually they did :lol
Yeah I was being sarcastic, hope people caught that. :p

And I've seen enough from analysis companies/analysts to know that they don't know shit. Pachter has yet to provide me with anything other than random wild guesses, some of which end up being true. And yeah I was expecting at least a mention of the Wii's successor at this year's E3.

wsippel

Banned
Hiro said:

According to THQ's CEO, that's actually not all that far from the truth - they expect this generation to go on for some more years. At least for Sony and Microsoft. And if you look at their financial reports, it does make a lot of sense.

Persona7

Banned
Kam said:
Wow.

I can't believe this is already announced. I guess E3 will reveal everything. I never adopt systems early but if this releases for £299 and has backwards compatibility, I think I'll buy it in the 2012 holidays.

I already have this list of games I want to play on Wii:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
MadWorld
Red Steel 2
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Sonic Colours
Wario Land: Shake It!
Disney Epic Mickey
Super Smash Bro. Brawl
Tatsunoko VS. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Super Paper Mario
Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

I'm sure that will keep me company until Wii 2 picks up steam and releases bigger and better games.
You should probably start buying wii games now while they are cheap.

Mad World is like 8 bucks on amazon NEW. No MoreHeroes 2 is cheap as well,

NateDrake

AceBandage said:
The report comes from the Foxcon company, I believe.
They're the ones that make Nintendo systems.
So yeah, production starting in October is likely for a launch mid-late next year.
If MP is correct and they can produce 1mill a month and start in October, then a summer release is likely.

Hiro

Banned
wsippel said:
According to THQ's CEO, that's actually not all that far from the truth - they expect this generation to go on for some more years. At least for Sony and Microsoft. And if you look at their financial reports, it does make a lot of sense.

Yes, I know that. But Nintendo is already going into the 8th generation, leaving Sony & Microsoft in the 7th gen.....which would actually be beneficial to Nintendo in some ways, since they would be providing slightly superior versions of future ps3 and xbox 360 games.

Hiro said:
Yes, I know that. But Nintendo is already going into the 8th generation, leaving Sony & Microsoft in the 7th gen.....which would actually be beneficial to Nintendo in some ways, since they would be providing slightly superior versions of future ps3 and xbox 360 games.

It would be in Sony and MS's best interest to let Nintendo continue to exist on their own.
Trying to burst out with something right away would be detrimental to them.

Hiro

Banned
AceBandage said:
It would be in Sony and MS's best interest to let Nintendo continue to exist on their own.
Trying to burst out with something right away would be detrimental to them.

You mean like they did with Move and Kinect? Because you notice in the example I just gave they didn't let Nintendo to continue to exist on their own but burst out with something, a response. And both Move and Kinect are responses to Nintendo's motion controls and responses to each other (which is why Move commercials criticize Kinect and Wiimote).

Hiro said:

HAHA oh you. Nintendo said awhile ago that they're next console would be HD. Are you serious? Pachter has been calling for a HD Wii for 4 years now. Lets praise the man for saying Nintendo would eventually release a HD console. WoW.

antonz

I think MP is off though when he says 4-5 million units available by Janurary or February means a Japanese only launch initially. 4-5 million would be sufficient to do a global launch. Though I do think its possible Japan might get the system first just due to the fact its dead in Japan while healthy enough in the other regions

Hiro

Banned
LovingSteam said:
HAHA oh you. Nintendo said awhile ago that they're next console would be HD. Are you serious? Pachter has been calling for a HD Wii for 4 years now. Lets praise the man for saying Nintendo would eventually release a HD console. WoW.

My comment wasn't even directed at you so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was talking to someone else entirely, namely the person I quoted. The Pachter hate is grossly overstated. As has been pointed out, it is the man's job and he gets payed to do it. That's how he feeds himself, his cats and his family.

Hiro said:
You mean like they did with Move and Kinect? Because you notice in the example I just gave they didn't let Nintendo to continue to exist on their own but burst out with something, a response. And both Move and Kinect are responses to Nintendo's motion controls and responses to each other (which is why Move commercials criticize Kinect and Wiimote).
Sixaxis was a burst out response. Launching 6 months before Wii successor is announced, not so much.

Boney

Banned
Hiro said:
My comment wasn't even directed at you so I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was talking to someone else entirely, namely the person I quoted. The Pachter hate is grossly overstated. As has been pointed out, it is the man's job and he gets payed to do it. That's how he feeds himself, his cats and his family.
tee hee

why so angry

Hiro

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Sixaxis was a burst out response. Launching 6 months before Wii successor is announced, not so much.

Oh yeah, I stand corrected. I shouldn't have used the phrase 'burst out'. Good point.

Hiro said:
Awesome, it's just too bad he's so shitty at it. Good thing no one realizes this.

I wish I got paid to blow hot air.

Hiro

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
Awesome, it's just too bad he's so shitty at it. Good thing no one realizes this.

I wish I got paid to blow hot air.

I wish you did too. I'd love for you to have an easy job. I wish I had an easy job with excellent sustainable income and benefits. Pachter got lucky.

Mandoric

Banned

M74

Hiro said:
Both of which have come out in the tail end of their cycles. How is that bursting out in response? Not to mention, Move is pretty much useless at this point. Kinect has been fairly well received, but it came out years after Nintendo stormed the market.

Sushen

Hiro said:
Just the way he speaks is irritating at times. He pretends that he has the prophecy, whereas he makes random guess as good as neogafers. Not to mention that the man is making tons of money doing so.

Deku

Banned
Sushen said:
Just the way he speaks is irritating at times. He pretends that he has the prophecy, whereas he makes random guess as good as neogafers. Not to mention that the man is making tons of money doing so.

Pachter's being self deprecating of late. And he made fun of himself again saying he's gullible and believes everything he reads online.

He had a huge hard-on for Sony in 2004-2005 though and still does but ultimately he approaches it from a business POV.

The rest of the panel couldn't resist making a reference to the Dreamcast and all the baggage that came with it but Pachter's analysis is probably more correct in that if the Cafe runs into problems, it won't be because it is the Dreamcast redux.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wow @ all the people thinking any electronics manufacturer would sit with goods in stock for more than a quarter. This does not happen, weeks is the usual lead for major products. Two to three months is already exceptional. 3DS entered full production sometime in January to stockpile for a global near simultaneous roll out two months later.

So October production suggests December launch because the next meaningful month is March and nobody will sit on stock that long.

Hiro said:
Message boards, how do they work?

PS: Why PM me to tell me you have put me on ignore if you don't actually have me on ignore? Hmmm

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Chittagong said:
Wow @ all the people thinking any electronics manufacturer would sit with goods in stock for more than a quarter. This does not happen, weeks is the usual lead for major products. Two to three months is already exceptional. 3DS entered full production sometime in January to stockpile for a global near simultaneous roll out two months later.

So October production suggests December launch because the next meaningful month is March and nobody will sit on stock that long.
Except that Nintendo said Wii 2 wouldn't be released in their fiscal year (ending March 2012).

Chittagong said:

Ehh.

You're assuming a lot here.

The only evidence that the 3DS started production in January is that a finished unit was sneaked off the production line on, like, the 2nd of January.

Iwata's comments seem to indicate they started production in Fall.

Speaking to Reuters, Iwata has said that at first they "thought it would be desirable to launch the 3DS within the year, so we made our forecasts on that basis.” However they eventually realised they wouldnt be able to produce enough consoles. “At this point it is clear that if we launch within the year, we will not be able to supply enough units."

Their production cycle would not allow for just two months (this quote is from October). They wanted to produce four million, so they delayed it to March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom