• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr_Brit said:
I strongly doubt that. A straight 360 to Wii 2 port would be ridiculously easy, you're essentially going from a triple core Power PC with unified shaders ATI card to exactly the same on Wii 2 except it's more powerful and has more memory. The main issue in porting will be adapting 360/PS3 controls to this new tablet controller. Let's hope it's fully able to cope with he controls of 360/PS3 games or we'll be left with a PSP situation where the hardware is good enough but the controls aren't.
Considering that all the rumors so far point to the standard dual analogue + touchscreen + accelerometer/gyroscope, there is no excuse for the games to control like shit. The only difference would be how they use the touchscreen and motion controls

Hiro

Banned
AceBandage said:
If they launch by next August, or just go ahead and do a Holiday release, then that's 2+ years.

You do realize that the development of AAA console titles often takes several years? As in 4+ years. Developing for a console is going to take a significantly longer amount of time than for a handheld, such as the 3DS or NGP.

Neiteio

From The Dust said:
Considering that all the rumors so far point to the standard dual analogue + touchscreen + accelerometer/gyroscope, there is no excuse for the games to control like shit. The only difference would be how they use the touchscreen and motion controls
What about shoulder buttons? I'm think of my DualShock3 and games like Red Dead Redemption that use four shoulder buttons. Do we have reason to believe Stream's controller will have four shoulder buttons? If it's only two, I suppose a game like RDR could bring up the weapon radial, etc, on the touchscreen...

Hiro said:
You do realize that the development of AAA console titles often takes several years? As in 4+ years. Developing for a console is going to take a significantly longer amount of time than for a handheld, such as the 3DS or NGP.
Not....always, no.

Games are mostly made in two years, four years for excessively large ones, sometimes much less.

Like, you'd agree Uncharted 2 is a AAA console title, right? It took 18 months.

Modern Warfare 2 is as AAA as they come, it took slightly less than two years.

Assassin's Creed 2 took two years, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood took one, Assassin's Creed Revelations is taking one as well. All AAA games.

Unless you think AAA means something besides budget then I don't know what to tell you.

Emitan

From The Dust said:
Every game gets the Tingle Tuner. EVERY. GAME.

2 Years is plenty of time to make a ground up great game. Especially if engines are easily portable to the Cafe (which there's no reason they shouldn't be).

Neiteio said:
What about shoulder buttons? I'm think of my DualShock3 and games like Red Dead Redemption that use four shoulder buttons. Do we have reason to believe Stream's controller will have four shoulder buttons? If it's only two, I suppose a game like RDR could bring up the weapon radial, etc, on the touchscreen...
The rumors only point to a standard button layout. Whether that includes shoulder buttons/triggers is up to you. The way I see it is Nintendo has already put out a controller with 4 shoulder buttons. I don't see them moving backwards with that

The IGN rumors specifically said eight buttons.

Assuming that doesn't count start, select, and/or Home, it means four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, and two triggers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ShockingAlberto said:
Not....always, no.

Games are mostly made in two years, four years for excessively large ones, sometimes much less.

Assassin's Creed 2 took two years, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood took one, Assassin's Creed Revelations is taking one as well. All AAA games.

Unless you think AAA means something besides budget then I don't know what to tell you.

Ubi Montreal is a massive studio (~2500 people as of last year). I'd imagine the personell overlap between the AC2 and AC:B teams, and the AC:B and AC:R teams would be small at best. That is to say, it's likely Ubi didn't crank out AC:B in a year and the same will be true of AC:R.

Mr_Brit

Banned
JaseC said:
Ubi Montreal is a massive studio (~2500 people as of last year). I'd imagine the personell overlap between the AC2 and AC:B teams, and the AC:B and AC:R teams would be small at best. That is to say, it's likely Ubi didn't crank out AC:B in a year and the same will be true of AC:R.
Less than 2 years is the average dev time of AAA games these days and it doesn't look likely that that will rise anymore with next gen consoles. Wii 2 games shouldn't take any more time or money to create than 360/PS3 games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mr_Brit said:
Less than 2 years is the average dev time of AAA games these days and it doesn't look likely that that will rise anymore with next gen consoles. Wii 2 games shouldn't take any more time or money to create than 360/PS3 games.

I'm aware of that. My point is that with Ubi Montreal being the size that they are it's extremely likely they had (and have) concurrent AC projects.

Hiro

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Not....always, no.

But Resident Evil 5 took a lot longer than 18 months to make. And Capcom went on record saying that, due to the amount of work involved in making AAA titles, RE6 could take 8 or more years to make. So while I have no idea why some AAA titles take many years to make and some don't, such as Gears of War, it still stands that it is very plausible that AAA console titles would take well over 3 years to develop.

Emitan

Hiro said:
But Resident Evil 5 took a lot longer than 18 months to make. And Capcom went on record saying that, due to the amount of work involved in making AAA titles, RE6 could take 8 or more years to make. So while I have no idea why some AAA titles take many years to make and some don't, such as Gears of War, it still stands that it is very plausible that AAA console titles would take well over 3 years to develop.
And Square took 5 years to make Final Fantasy XIII, a game where you run in a straight line for 60 hours. Just because Capcom is slow as hell doesn't mean a competent developer can't put out an amazing game in 2 years.

The 2 year claim is hollow. Alberto's quotes were right...but they were all sequels. The first Assassin's Creed, for instance, had a longer and more troubled development cycle, because they had to get the engine and tools ships in order.

I can tell you from personal experience that a large chunk of development on new IP (or first take projects) is swallowed by the early engine/tools/core gameplay work. On sequels, you have most of that ready to go, so your two years is better spent on content, new features, fixed features, etc.

I think the line is being blurred now in that 3DS and PSP2 will require more development time than projects past, but it really is all dependent on the project. Echochrome is obviously going to be built much faster than Uncharted, but Uncharted PSP2 is also going to be built much faster than Uncharted 1 since it has existing tools, assets, and code to work from.

brochiller said:
Super secret system selling feature confirmed.

every console comes with Pinkle!
Pinkle.png

Utako

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Assuming EAD 4 and Retro are currently working on the new system, the release schedule for Nintendo's big teams for the system should look like (Going by standard dev cycles):

Late 2012: New Super Mario Bros. 3/Pikmin 3
Late 2013: Retro Studios game (Likely MP4 or DKC5 but could be new IP to attract western gamers)
Mid 2014: Smash Bros 4
Late 2014: Mario Kart Stream
Mid 2015: Super Mario Stream
Late 2015: Zelda Stream
Mid 2016: Another Retro Studios game

With casual games and more minor games also thrown in.
Mario drops 3 years after initial release? Yeah...

ShockingAlberto said:
The IGN rumors specifically said eight buttons.

Assuming that doesn't count start, select, and/or Home, it means four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, and two triggers.
From The Dust said:
The rumors only point to a standard button layout. Whether that includes shoulder buttons/triggers is up to you. The way I see it is Nintendo has already put out a controller with 4 shoulder buttons. I don't see them moving backwards with that

CVG says:
The controller has a six-inch touch screen, a front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," and can allegedly be used as a Wii sensor bar.

Emitan

Boney said:
Not if it has the same physics as NSMB Wii. That game played like crap. Bring back the SMW engine! It's a shame we got our first 2D console Mario game since Yoshi's Island only for it to control like shit.

I kind of hate the term "bumpers," for whatever it's worth.

I hadn't even heard it until this generation. Until now, I had always heard shoulder buttons.

Billychu said:
Not if it has the same physics as NSMB Wii. That game played like crap. Bring back the SMW engine!
Ew, gross. Bring back the SMB3 engine!

Or SMB. Damn it would be crazy if current mario controlled like a tank.

Boney

Banned
Billychu said:
Not if it has the same physics as NSMB Wii. That game played like crap. Bring back the SMW engine! It's a shame we got our first 2D console Mario game since Yoshi's Island only for it to control like shit.
so slippery yuck

nsmbwii was perfect

best 2d mario

Magicpaint said:
In general yeah, but Galaxy 1/2 destroy NSMB/Wii!
not even combined

ShockingAlberto said:

I hadn't even heard it until this generation. Until now, I had always heard shoulder buttons.

Same. It's such a weird term, bumpers.
They are shoulder buttons.

Emitan

ShockingAlberto said:

Xbox 360 started it. I hate the term. Back is Select and all the shoulder buttons are L1, L2, R1, and R2 for me. Deal with it, haters.

Boney said:
so slippery yuck

nsmbwii was perfect

best 2d mario

not even combined
NSMB Wii was like moving through molasses. Ewww the whole game was sticky. Super Mario World has the best controls of any video game ever. NSMB doesn't even have the real spin jump. Just a bastardized version because Mario's too sticky to jump on fireballs any more.

Kibbles

BlackNMild2k1 said:
It can be used as a Wii sensor bar? That mockup someone made with it being used as a Wii sensor bar with a clock and weather display on top of the tv was awesome, very slick. Hopefully it's like that.

Boney

Banned
Billychu said:
NSMB Wii was like moving through molasses. Ewww the whole game was sticky. Super Mario World has the best controls of any video game ever. NSMB doesn't even have the real spin jump. Just a bastardized version because Mario's too sticky to jump on fireballs any more.
first you don't like other m, and now you don't like nsmbwii

i just can't talk to you!

Magicpaint said:
Oh, I didn't mean combined. Galaxy 1 on its own destroys both games combined, though. That's for sure. Now if we're talking SMB3...
But galaxy 1 is worse than 2 :/

Boney said:
first you don't like other m, and now you don't like nsmbwii

i just can't talk to you!
I don't like either as well :p

Boney said:
But galaxy 1 is worse than 2 :/
Maybe (especially if you prefer linearity and a streamlined, 'tighter' experience closer to the 2D games), but the point is that both are awesome and raise 3D Mario to near equal terms. More 2D Marios of the quality of NSMB/Wii and more 3D Mario of the quality of Galaxy 1/2 would definitely tip the balance in favour of 3D Mario though. I can only live off the glory of SMB, SMB3, World and Yoshi's Island for so long. :p

From The Dust said:
so does OoT. but that doesn't mean it's better than Majora's Mask
Only because Majora's Mask also gets loads of points for originality!

From The Dust said:
so does OoT. but that doesn't mean it's better than Majora's Mask
Obvously. SMG2 is the better game.

This thread is reminding me that one of my co-workers at gamestop owns a Wii and refuses to play either Galaxy. WTF is this shit. He doesn't even have to pay for it, he can just rent it out if he wants.

Probably has more to do with him being a real life fanboy (Sony) than anything else but I digress. I'm always like, dude, these are some of the best games of this gen, and he's like, yeah I don't want to play them.

WillyFive

CoffeeJanitor said:

This thread is reminding me that one of my co-workers at gamestop owns a Wii and refuses to play either Galaxy. WTF is this shit. He doesn't even have to pay for it, he can just rent it out if he wants.

Probably has more to do with him being a real life fanboy (Sony) than anything else but I digress. I'm always like, dude, these are some of the best games of this gen, and he's like, yeah I don't want to play them.

If he was a fanboy, then why would he own a Wii? And besides, it could be just taste. Just as how people don't want to play games like Bioshock and Metroid Prime because it's not their taste.

CoffeeJanitor said:

Is his gaming library chock full of Madden's and COD's?

Willy105 said:
If he was a fanboy, then why would he own a Wii? And besides, it could be just taste. Just as how people don't want to play games like Bioshock and Metroid Prime because it's not their taste.
True that could be it. He always says he plays games for their stories (wrong medium lol) so maybe Mario puts him off.

And he is deifnitely a fanboy, no doubt about it. I've actually heard him ask customers "Do you consider yourself a hardcore gamer or casual?" when he's helping them choose a system. Shit like that pisses me off. He's also crapped all over the 360 ever since it released.

brochiller said:
Is his gaming library chock full of Madden's and COD's?
Nope, he's actually got pretty good taste imo. Demon's Souls and MH3 are his favorite games of this gen I think.

Boney

Banned
From The Dust said:
it's not confusing. you just can't keep up
too much originality up in this bitch

Billychu said:
I'm pretty sure I remember you loving Yoshi's Island. Friends?

Yep. SMG2 is the best game made this generation.
You probably remember gravijah since I don't really talk about YI, but it's probably the second best SNES game yah, love it.

Magicpaint said:
I don't like either as well :p

Maybe (especially if you prefer linearity and a streamlined, 'tighter' experience closer to the 2D games), but the point is that both are awesome and raise 3D Mario to near equal terms. More 2D Marios of the quality of NSMB/Wii and more 3D Mario of the quality of Galaxy 1/2 would definitely tip the balance in favour of 3D Mario though. I can only live off the glory of SMB, SMB3, World and Yoshi's Island for so long. :p

Only because Majora's Mask also gets loads of points for originality!
I know you hate other m as well, I'm keeping tabs >.>

As for mario idk, Wii's levels were genious and worked perfectly with either 1, 2, 3 or 4 players. It's like some weird harmonic meassurment up in the bitch. Plus plenty of original levels and throwback levels. Plus the best controls and great difficulty to go with it.

It's perfect. Bwaah bwaah and everything

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SMG2 might be more 'polished', but the original Galaxy had a much more 'epic adventure' feel to it. And thus, it ranks above its sequel in my mind.

Emitan

Yeah, it might have been Gravijah. I get random people confused for no reason. I definitely agree the level design was perfect because both single and 4 player multiplayer worked perfectly on the same levels. I just want better physics. And Capes. Need my motherflippin Capes.

Boney said:
As for mario idk, Wii's levels were genious and worked perfectly with either 1, 2, 3 or 4 players. It's like some weird harmonic meassurment up in the bitch. Plus plenty of original levels and throwback levels. Plus the best controls and great difficulty to go with it.

It's perfect. Bwaah bwaah and everything

you just reminded me of that cube game that measure's your compatiblity with your partner. I hope WiiWare will be availible on Stream so I can get it (it most likely will be anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom