• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero of Legend said:
A sort of master detective of resumes and whatnot. Sorta became the successor to Surfer Girl in terms of findings, only not rumors.

That kinda undermines their success. They've rarely put a foot wrong when it comes to rumours and such. Like you said, master detectives. Someone could hire them and it would transform their newsites overnight, probably.

Kevin

A more "core" Nintendo with hardware even comparable to 360/PS3 I think will make Gaffers quite happy. Of course we all know it's really about the software... :)

hokahey

Krowley said:
Translation (IMO): "We're going after core gamers, and we know they're willing to pay a shit-load for hardware, so we're gonna charge a lot more than we did for wii. Also, don't expect that many games at launch. "

No.

He's simply talking about early adopters versus people who wait until late in the life cycle of a console.

"When we launch our new home system sometime in 2012 we think the consumer buying in will look very different than the consumer who's going to be buying a Wii now," Fils-Aime said. "What we've seen in this business it that there are certain consumers who love being first — they have to have the absolute latest hardware — and there are other consumers that are perfectly happy to wait until the game library is much more robust and they have a wider range of options."

From The Dust said:
http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory/

since there was a rumor about GTA on Cafe. who is Supererogatory anyway?

Hero of Legend said:
A sort of master detective of resumes and whatnot. Sorta became the successor to Surfer Girl in terms of findings, only not rumors.

Supererogatory said:
Told Nintendo filmed Cafe E3 promotional videos last week in Orange County with a bunch of seeming hand models cast "based on their hands."

The hands "had to be flawless" and "couldn't have blemishes, wrinkles or a lot of hair."

Hmmm

ReyVGM

Yeah, I doubt they were able to sign a NDA since their hands are so delicate.

But then again, they could have just made the models hold something that looks like a controller and then photoshop them in the images. Just to avoid leaks and stuff.

Woffls

ReyVGM said:
Which of the two friggin' Wii2 topics is gonna be the main one? I don't want to be going back and forth here.
This one! New topics will come and go, but they get an influx of people retreading what we talked about 50 pages back ;D

Not sure about @supererogatory, but it looks like they have a lot of respectable followers. Problem with the GTAV rumours is that they're essentially the equivalent of all our dreams for a Nintendo console being validated. Well, not all of them, but y'know.

ReyVGM said:
Yeah, I doubt they were able to sign a NDA since their hands are so delicate.

But then again, they could have just made the models hold something that looks like a controller and then photoshop them in the images. Just to avoid leaks and stuff.

Well, they did video so I take it that Nintendo didn't go through the effort of making a fake off-model thing for them to play with :p

And if she is any example of how these hand models are I don't think Gaf will be getting a hold of them.

Krowley

hokahey said:
No.

He's simply talking about early adopters versus people who wait until late in the life cycle of a console.

You guys are probably right, and I'm probably reading too much into it, but I wanted to explain my logic.

You have to think a little more abstractly.

1. Early adopters generally are core gamers. This was even true for the wii in the first few weeks (zelda)

2. Late in the lifecycle people (for most systems) are either more casual, or they're buying the system as an addition to their primary game system. These are people that wait until a system is super-cheap and there are tons of games available for it.

3. Core gamers will pay more, and they don't care about the size of the software lineup. Nintendo knows they could have charged more for wii. They also know they could have launched a more expensive (stronger) product because the things were impossible to find when they first came out, and some people were payng 400 or 500 bucks for them anyway due to the overwhelming demand. If the wii was stronger, (for example, if nintendo had gone for a 300 dollar price or higher) it may not have been quite as hot at launch, but it would probably be selling better right now, and there would probably be more 3rd party support for it.

So essentially, yes, in a literal sense that's what he's saying, but if you take it a step further, it potentially has further implications. He's clearly saying that Nintendo is keeping the general fact that there is a big difference between early adopters and late adopters in mind when it comes to this new console.

On a random note, if Nintendo put Pikmin 3 on this rather than the Wii then I'll never buy another Nintendo system again.

I appreciate that wont make the slightest bit of difference to them, but I'm still hurting for some Pikmin love this gen. :(

Krowley

Psychotext said:
On a random note, if Nintendo put Pikmin 3 on this rather than the Wii then I'll never buy another Nintendo system again.

I appreciate that wont make the slightest bit of difference to them, but I'm still hurting for some Pikmin love this gen. :(

Everything we've heard about this system makes me think it would be a better fit for pikmin than wii ever could have been. Something like pikmin would definitely benefit from HD resolution because of of the large map and all the little details. Add to that the touch screen, which could probably be used to facilitate better RTS type controls than the pointer could provide.

Black-Wind said:
Well, they did video so I take it that Nintendo didn't go through the effort of making a fake off-model thing for them to play with :p

And if she is any example of how these hand models are I don't think Gaf will be getting a hold of them.

No hand jobs?

Psychotext said:

Two things.

1) Miyamoto has stated that it would benefit from HD.
2) Miyamoto never said what system it was for when he admitted to have been working on it.

Psychotext said:

you'll be back. you need that Pikmin fix

Krowley said:
You guys are probably right, and I'm probably reading too much into it, but I wanted to explain my logic.

You have to think a little more abstractly.

1. Early adopters generally are core gamers. This was even true for the wii in the first few weeks (zelda)

2. Late in the lifecycle people (for most systems) are either more casual, or they're buying the system as an addition to their primary game system. These are people that wait until a system is super-cheap and there are tons of games available for it.

3. Core gamers will pay more, and they don't care about the size of the software lineup. Nintendo knows they could have charged more for wii. They also know they could have launched a more expensive (stronger) product because the things were impossible to find when they first came out, and some people were payng 400 or 500 bucks for them anyway due to the overwhelming demand. If the wii was stronger, (for example, if nintendo had gone for a 300 dollar price or higher) it may not have been quite as hot at launch, but it would probably be selling better right now, and there would probably be more 3rd party support for it.

So essentially, yes, in a literal sense that's what he's saying, but if you take it a step further, it potentially has further implications. He's clearly saying that Nintendo is keeping the general fact that there is a big difference between early adopters and late adopters in mind when it comes to this new console.
There's no such thing as core/casual, there are just gamers. You're making a lot of assumptions. Zelda is just a very popular game in general, there is nothing inherently 'core' about it. The Wii was a hit with the general population right from the start.

I think he's just talking about early adopters vs people who wait.

legend166

Krowley said:
Everything we've heard about this system makes me think it would be a better fit for pikmin than wii ever could have been. Something like pikmin would definitely benefit from HD resolution because of of the large map and all the little details. Add to that the touch screen, which could probably be used to facilitate better RTS type controls than the pointer could provide.

If we don't get a new Pikmin with pointer controls I'm going to rage.

In fact, the fact that no one seems to care that the best thing to come to video game controls since the analogue stick (the IR pointer) seems to have been pushed aside for this new controller.

If I don't get an HD PES Wii with pointer controls, I will rage.

jacksrb

What's the prevailing opinion?

Will N be packing in a WiiMote+ and the screen controller?

Will N be packing in software (not including Mii stuff)?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:

In fact, the fact that no one seems to care that the best thing to come to video game controls since the analogue stick (the IR pointer) seems to have been pushed aside for this new controller.

If I don't get an HD PES Wii with pointer controls, I will rage.
Yes.
The pointer is awesome, and still has so much unexplored potential.
jacksrb said:
What's the prevailing opinion?

Will N be packing in a WiiMote+ and the screen controller?

Will N be packing in software (not including Mii stuff)?
We need to know thier strategy with this console before any of that can be determined.

jacksrb

Krev said:
We need to know thier strategy with this console before any of that can be determined.

I don't necessarily disagree but that could be said for most of the comments and speculation in the three Cafe threads thus far.

Anyway, I guess they will have to include the WiiMote+ if they were focusing on games that used the pointer controls and the new controller w/screen.

That would also inform whether or not IR pointing continued to be integral to their plans...

Regarding the Toshiba "New Sensation" Haptic tech, in that video someone posted , the rep mentioned that the film they use can be put on curved surfaces and that it didn't nessarilly need to be on the screen to work (in the example they were showing, the phone also had the film on the back, allowing the user to feel it from both sides of the screen). Given that, imagine if Nintendo placed the same or similar film on each of the grips of the controller? Anything your character handles on screen that has a surface emulatable by the haptic film could find its way to your hands. Imagine for a moment a "Hitman" or "Assassin" game where you strangle a victim and can feel his or her life slowly fade away. Or a game like the upcoming LA Noir, where closely investigating evidence is an important element of the game.

cuevas said:
No hand jobs?
z3do6.png

Edit: Really, avatar quotes no longer work? Smh.

Haint

Kevin said:
A more "core" Nintendo with hardware even comparable to 360/PS3 I think will make Gaffers quite happy. Of course we all know it's really about the software... :)

Why would Gaffers be happy with something comparable to (then) 7 year old hardware? If it's not at least on par with Very High PC ports in 1080p, I think most Gaffers will be happy to tell Nintendo to fuck off just like they did with Wii.

watershed

Banned
Reallink said:
Why would Gaffers be happy with something comparable to (then) 7 year old hardware? If it's not at least on par with Very High PC ports in 1080p, I think most Gaffers will be happy to tell Nintendo to fuck off just like they did with Wii.

I second this. Especially if Nintendo is gonna charge a minimum of $250 for this hypothetical dated tech with a 6" screen thrown in. But that would be a worse case scenario and not very likely.

Zeal

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I second this. Especially if Nintendo is gonna charge a minimum of $250 for this hypothetical dated tech with a 6" screen thrown in. But that would be a worse case scenario and not very likely.
Not only is this possible, and even likely, but nintendrones would love it, buy it and defend it to the death. It's no different then certain people in this thread trying to justify the console not needing a hdd, or explaining how SD cards would be a superior alternative.

No one can be that stupid, you have to be a fanboy by choice.

legend166 said:

I care. Some other posters have said the same thing. You're definitely not alone.

If the pointer controls are gone so Nintendo could pander to the whiny hardcore, it'll be a sad day for the gaming industry.

watershed

Banned
Zeal said:
Not only is this possible, and even likely, but nintendrones would love it, buy it and defend it to the death. It's no different then certain people in this thread trying to justify the console not needing a hdd, or explaining how SD cards would a superior alternative.

Well I've loved Nintendo since I was a kid but since the ps1, I've always had other consoles as well because there are some experiences that just can't be had on Nintendo consoles. If the cafe does have such dated tech it would be the first Nintendo home console I skip on.

Net_Wrecker said:
That is completely wrong IMO. In any hobby there are the casuals, and there are the hardcore. Gaming is no different.
Zeal said:
This statement is completly inaccurate.
I'd rather not get into it but there really isn't any concrete definition for any of these ideal consumers, and even if there is hardly anyone matches it.

To put it another way, everyone has their own definition. That definition doesn't really apply to that many people because everyone is so different. These are marketing terms and buzzwords more than anything else.

sinnergy

VisanidethDM said:
It makes sense on many levels, as having a touchscreen on the back of the pad is the only position that allows for usage of the trackpad while also sticking to the buttons.
A touchscreen in the front of the pad requires continuous adjustements in your grip. It's uncomfortable.
The console could be streaming to the screen, and the trackpad in the back could simply mirror it.

And to use the screen without obstruction.

Zeal said:
Not only is this possible, and even likely, but nintendrones would love it, buy it and defend it to the death. It's no different then certain people in this thread trying to justify the console not needing a hdd, or explaining how SD cards would be a superior alternative.

"Nintendrones?" That's a new one. Love the sweeping generalizations.

However, I agree with one of your points: a hard drive option would be superior than ONLY being able to use SD cards. However, said drive does not need to be *included* with the hardware to make it a quality piece of kit.

ReyVGM said:
Man, this topic is dead. We need more ridiculous rumors!
My grandmother works as vice president in Kojima Productions said that the Haptic technology in the controller will be used to touch Raiden in the remake of MGS2.
Triology :p

All I wanted for the better part of the last decade was HD Nintendo games. That delivered is automatic HUGE SUCCESS to me. I guess I'm easy to please.

watershed

Banned
shadyspace said:
All I wanted for the better part of the last decade was HD Nintendo games. That delivered is automatic HUGE SUCCESS to me. I guess I'm easy to please.

Serious question: would you be willing to pay $300 or 350 or even for $250 for the Nintendo equivalent of an xbox360 that plays HD Nintendo games? Obviously this is a hypothetical question and I'm not saying I think Nintendo would do that. But as a life long Nintendo fan, if they did do this, plus the ability to stream the game while you sit on the can, I would not open my wallet for it.

artwalknoon said:
Serious question: would you be willing to pay $300 or 350 or even for $250 for the Nintendo equivalent of an xbox360 that plays HD Nintendo games? Obviously this is a hypothetical question and I'm not saying I think Nintendo would do that. But as a life long Nintendo fan, if they did do this, plus the ability to stream the game while you sit on the can, I would not open my wallet for it.
Same here. I would wait for the price drops, same as 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom