• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AceBandage said:
Ewww, system wars crap.

Also, why are we discussing this "If it's just a 360, would you pay X" stuff?
We already know that likely isn't the case.

Hey, I tried man, but the thread of conversation had already entered full swing on the subject and BanKai was the only one to notice my post about alternate uses for Toshiba's Haptic film up there. If you think you can get this thread to turn more power to you. ;)

E-phonk

Banned
Measley said:
12 million units sold?

- Wii had games that sold double of that.
- So did the DS.
- Call of Duty sells to +/- the same crowd that has traditionally played video games in the last 15 years (14-24 year old males)
- Nintendo and apple have increased the market by reaching out to adults and females.

Quadrangulum said:
If the nightmare scenario occurs, where all or most of the bad rumors and suppositions are true (no HDMI, 1080i, half-baked online, PS3/360 level specs, no hard drive or fast storage options, $350-400), I'd wait for significant price drops.

As down as I was on the Wii, it still has 25+ retail games and some interesting WiiWare stuff that merited serious attention. Cafe would have to be far worse than this for me to even consider skipping it.

I'm with you, as much as it would hurt to miss out on all the launch excitement.

I thought Wii should have been $199, but since it came with a game I went ahead and jumped in on day one. I was even okay with the graphical fidelity (compared to the other two) because it was a fair amount less in price. Five years later, I'm ready for a graphics boost.

If I like what I see for the price, I'm all over it. However, my son is saving up for a 360 since that's what all of his friends have. If we get a 3DS situation - too pricey, lack of games to my interest - I may just help him out and do that for a while until the library and/or price hits a better point.

That said, I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve.

At 4¢ a device for HDMI, as I posted on the previous page (with link) - I think Nintendo will be prepared to allow HDMI cables -- but I am wondering if its the other things that that entails that have put them off until now...

They'd have to pay Dolby Digital and DTS licenses, and if they do go with Blu-Ray - they'd be paying a license for that and DVD playback as well. I do think it is likely that they will go with a proprietary disc format, but I hope they embrace Dolby Digital and DTS sound -- that's one of the big things that's been missing from Nintendo consoles since the Gamecube. Dolby virtual Surround just won't cut it anymore!

Lonewolf_92 said:
Hey, I tried man, but the thread of conversation had already entered full swing on the subject and BanKai was the only one to notice my post about alternate uses for Toshiba's Haptic film up there. If you think you can get this thread to turn more power to you. ;)

I'm with you, although a screen based layer seems a lot more likely to me.
Just be thankful the people whining about hard disks got rolled off into their own thread.

radioheadrule83 said:
At 4¢ a device for HDMI, as I posted on the previous page (with link) - I think Nintendo will be prepared to allow HDMI cables -- but I am wondering if its the other things that that entails that have put them off until now...

They'd have to pay Dolby Digital and DTS licenses, and if they do go with Blu-Ray - they'd be paying a license for that and DVD playback as well. I do think it is likely that they will go with a proprietary disc format, but I hope they embrace Dolby Digital and DTS sound -- that's one of the big things that's been missing from Nintendo consoles since the Gamecube. Dolby virtual Surround just won't cut it anymore!

There's no way they won't go with Digital Sound this time around.
It's just... inconceivable.
I think Nintendo is becoming slightly more lax with that penny pinching. They have to if they want to stay in the game, regardless of what market they are going after.
A good majority of the planet has moved to HD and Digital Sound, if they want to sell to them, they have to keep up.

wsippel

Banned
Quadrangulum said:
If the nightmare scenario occurs, where all or most of the bad rumors and suppositions are true (no HDMI, 1080i, half-baked online, PS3/360 level specs, no hard drive or fast storage options, $350-400), I'd wait for significant price drops.

As down as I was on the Wii, it still has 25+ retail games and some interesting WiiWare stuff that merited serious attention. Cafe would have to be far worse than this for me to even consider skipping it.
The one area in which the rumors are consistently positive is online. Surprisingly.

Graphics Horse said:
I'm with you, although a screen based layer seems a lot more likely to me.
Just be thankful the people whining about hard disks got rolled off into their own thread.
Its not really from Toshiba. The company that holds the patents is Semseg as far as i know. I sugested in the very first rumor thread the possibility of such tech. I even went to the extent of researching any press releases from Senseg to see if there were any big sing ups or contracts at their offcial page and other tech sites.

Anyway, since it isnt even widely adopted in other devices (specially smart phones) the chances for Nintendo going with this seemed very low, but now theres a rumor talking about it. Trauma center could take on a hole new level with tech like this.

KrawlMan

mugurumakensei said:
That's because Iwata himself has already basically confirmed Nintendo's seeking outside help for the online.

If this is true than I'm really glad. Nintendo can't be left to their own devices when it comes to online.

wsippel

Banned
KrawlMan said:
If this is true than I'm really glad. Nintendo can't be left to their own devices when it comes to online.
Yeah, Iwata said that. They can't do everything inhouse, they need help, either through partnerships or acquisitions. That's for online and western game development. Whatever companies or studios he was talking about, it already happened - and we didn't hear anything. Impressive.

FrankT

I don't know with some of these specs floating around and the dev comments I'm thinking MS and Sony have every reason to wait it out. It sounds like they will only be competing with slightly better 3rd party outings and that might take awhile, but still the same games on that side with a massive base already in place. The jump may not be all that next gen, but this gen+. Though MS should fully know what a year plus start can do at least for a new generation. Still I think this will pretty much be and define E3 this year.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
heringer said:
I miss the lolface.
KuGsj.gif

joshwaan

You know after hearing all the rumors I expect the following at least.

Power PC 7 Tri Core CPU 3.4GHZ
1GB Memory
ATI R700 4770 512MB
8GB Flash Storage
25 GB Discs
1080P Support HDMI do not give us fucking component.

It's 2011 Nintendo give us some decent horepower so the developers have got less restrictions.

Anyways pumped for E3, but mostly pumped for a Nintendo console in HD.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
joshwaan said:
You know after hearing all the rumors I expect the following at least.

Power PC 7 Tri Core CPU 3.4GHZ
1GB Memory
ATI R700 4770 512MB
8GB Flash Storage
25 GB Discs
1080P Support HDMI do not give us fucking component.

It's 2011 Nintendo give us some decent horepower so the developers have got less restrictions.

Anyways pumped for E3, but mostly pumped for a Nintendo console in HD.
Component supports 1080p just fine, and can also be used in old TVs, I don't know what you are talking about here.

(Obviously it'll have an HDMI output, so just buy the damn cable)

McHuj

I haven't seen this posted

Wii2 to be built by Hon Hai
Will start taking delivery in October
We have been hearing this rumor for about two weeks now, but we had difficultly verifying it until now. The Taiwan Economic News has confirmed that Hon Hai Precision Industry Co reportedly has an exclusive contract to build the Wii2 for Nintendo.

Our sources are also saying that Hon Hai will be able to start delivering the first units to Nintendo in October, but it is unclear what the run rate will be once the building is on the way. Whispers suggest that Nintendo will start ramping up production for an expected launch in North America slated for next year. Despite some suggesting a holiday launch for Nintendo yet this year, we just don’t hear it that way.

With the news from Taiwan comes word that the MSRP of the Wii2 will be an estimated $350 to $450.This number is a bit shocking for Nintendo, but actually not unexpected given the hardware that the Wii2 will be using. While others continue to report that the Wii2 will not be HD, the information we have still indicates that the console will use a modified GPU from the ATI R700 family and it will support 1080 HD.

http://fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/22633-wii2-to-be-built-by-hon-hai

If the thing is above $350, it better crush the ps3/360 in terms of performance regardless of the controller.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
manueldelalas said:
Component supports 1080p just fine, and can also be used in old TVs, I don't know what you are talking about here.

This shipping without HDMI would be so much lols.

I'm not getting anywhere near a nintendo branded 360 for more than a 360 sells now.

Show us power or go budget, Nintendo. Real budget.

joshwaan

Really thought it supported up to 1080i. Thanks for letting me know :)

I also hope to christ they have at least HDMI. Also manueldelalas got about 6 HDMI cables hehe :)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Bitmap Frogs said:
This shipping without HDMI would be so much lols.

I'm not getting anywhere near a nintendo branded 360 for more than a 360 sells now.

Show us power or go budget, Nintendo. Real budget.
If they don't have an HDMI output, then it will be lolworthy. If it has it, but comes without an HDMI cable, then you just use component which is the same, or buy the damn US$1 cable.

Also there is nothing in the rumors that say this machine will be like a 360; all points to this destroying it.

1-D_FTW

manueldelalas said:

Many tvs sold today don't support 1080P on component (see Panasonic plasmas). And HDMI has been around for a long time. My old CRT-RP has HDMI. You've got to really go back a long ways (or some real junk HDTVs) to find sets without HDMI.

EDIT: I guess, unlike you, I can see Nintendo choosing to omit HDMI since it's been revealed to cost 4.00 per unit for licensing. Nintendo really is that cheap. This new system is only being released because the high-profit margin Wii has fallen off a cliff. They've had the successor waiting years for this day. It's #1 priority is to keep a high profit margin console selling and filling the coffers. Everything else is secondary and in support of this cause.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
1-D_FTW said:
Many tvs sold today don't support 1080P on component (see Panasonic plasmas). And HDMI has been around for a long time. My old CRT-RP has HDMI. You've got to really go back a long ways (or some real junk HDTVs) to find sets without HDMI.
There are more TVs that support component than HDMI. HDMI cables costs 2 dollars.

I mean, I expect it to come with an HDMI cable, but I'm not going to cry if it doesn't.

I WILL cry if it doesn't have an HDMI output.

Utako

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Indeed, my 2004 Westinghouse Digital had HDMI. Older than the Wii!

RavenFox

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
This is true

1-D_FTW said:
EDIT: I guess, unlike you, I can see Nintendo choosing to omit HDMI since it's been revealed to cost 4.00 per unit for licensing. Nintendo really is that cheap. This new system is only being released because the high-profit margin Wii has fallen off a cliff. They've had the successor waiting years for this day. It's #1 priority is to keep a high profit margin console selling and filling the coffers. Everything else is secondary and in support of this cause.

Well put it this way. What's the cost analysis of the HDMI fee - 4 earth bucks. Times that by moderate to high console success over the years, 50 million say. You would want to know that not having a HDMI cable would be an issue for a lot of people. A lot.

I imagine buying this console, a SD card, an extra controller, a points card and a cable. Sadly.

Effect

artwalknoon said:
Serious question: would you be willing to pay $300 or 350 or even for $250 for the Nintendo equivalent of an xbox360 that plays HD Nintendo games? Obviously this is a hypothetical question and I'm not saying I think Nintendo would do that. But as a life long Nintendo fan, if they did do this, plus the ability to stream the game while you sit on the can, I would not open my wallet for it.

As much as I want a new Nintendo console I'm not willing to pay above $300 for any gaming console. Even with the 3DS I ended up paying $200 due to credit on Amazon. The exception would be if it shipped with an actual game and only if that game by itself would normally be sold at the amount that pushes the price past $300. Still even with that that's pushing it if it was just an equivalent of the Xbox 360. If it simply matched it then no way would I even entertain $300 even with a game. The current price of the 360 would factor into the purchase and I'd actually end up waiting for a price drop.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
1-D_FTW said:

Its $0.04 licensing. MS was also that cheap at the beginning of this generation. Nintendo may be obstinate enough to not include HDMI, but I doubt the cost will be a factor.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Wolves Evolve said:
Well put it this way. What's the cost analysis of the HDMI fee - 4 earth bucks. Times that by moderate to high console success over the years, 50 million say. You would want to know that not having a HDMI cable would be an issue for a lot of people. A lot.

I imagine buying this console, a SD card, an extra controller, a points card and a cable. Sadly.
(HDMI costs 15 cents, if you advertize it, then it's 5 cents, if you put HDCP shit, it's 4 cents (royalty per unit sold), they also must pay 10000 dollars a year)

FrankT

Smiles and Cries said:
if the price is high the power better be a beast or this will be the first Nintendo home console I finally skip

I doubt they go over $399, but then again that maybe high for some with the current HW prices or what will be then lower HW prices at that point from the others on the market.

Mashing

manueldelalas said:
can you connect it to the HDMI port on the TV?

If so, then YES!

I'm sure there are adapters for this. I know you can go from Display Port to DVI to connect to a computer monitor.

MYE said:
I hope they used whoever designed the Wii hardware on this one as well.

Agreed, the Wii is such a sleek little system, and built like a tank. A very small tank.

Also, I can't believe I actually heard "nintendrones" uttered in this thread much less this forum as a whole. That is some GFaqs level shit right there.

McHuj said:
I haven't seen this posted

http://fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/22633-wii2-to-be-built-by-hon-hai

If the thing is above $350, it better crush the ps3/360 in terms of performance regardless of the controller.
Well, from what you quoted it seems that they do have the HW to warrant that price.

But I can tell right now ... I aint getting that thing for anything more then 250. Never again, I'm gonna wait for a price drop + games like I did with the org DS phat. :mad:

Jackano

Dead Man Typing said:
How much were people willing to pay for a Wii on eBay?

That's where Nintendo is going to price the Wii 2.

Regarding Café price and the 3DS history, we better start saying everywhere on the internet that we are NOT gonna spend MORE THAN 200$ in it :lol

Black-Wind said:
Well, from what you quoted it seems that they do have the HW to warrant that price.

But I can tell right now ... I aint getting that thing for anything more then 250. Never again, I'm gonna wait for a price drop + games like I did with the org DS phat. :mad:
that's a long wait i think.

Since Nintendo already said that they would support 3D with the new system (it just won't be a main feature), wouldn't that mean they need to support HDMI 1.4 on the box to make that a true statement?

JGS

Banned
Jtyettis said:
I don't know with some of these specs floating around and the dev comments I'm thinking MS and Sony have every reason to wait it out. It sounds like they will only be competing with slightly better 3rd party outings and that might take awhile, but still the same games on that side with a massive base already in place. The jump may not be all that next gen, but this gen+. Though MS should fully know what a year plus start can do at least for a new generation. Still I think this will pretty much be and define E3 this year.
I said this too in one of the threads.

I think it would behoove Microsoft and particularly Sony to compete with each other and leave Nintendo alone. Their sales are independent of Nintendo's and for them to offere a substantial package beyond Cafe, it's going to cost money.

PS3 lost money when it was ridiculously expensive, so why jump into the fray with an even more powerful system and larger losses? Plus rushing can lead to quality issues.

I get that there's excitement with a new launch but once it dies down, they will see that the 3rd parties will be releasing the same games across the 3 systems.

Nintendo will basically be in 3rd place for current gen 3rd party software but have a huge lead in developement of 1st party software that will look better and a new control method that will take time to mimic if it's a hot (& the others will mimic it). I say it's worth the risk for Sony & Microsoft to wait it out and make money off this gen.

Always-honest said:
that's a long wait i think.
Sigh, I know.

Whats likely gonna happen is that Nintendo is gonna show off this thing at E3 with Super Smash Bros Something as a early title (this time, built for the "core gamers" so now its more like Melee and doesn't have that Brawl Balloon feel to the characters. May or may not be made with Sakurai involved) + the Retro Sheik game or something else new from them + 3rd party ports of all the games I want to get on the 360 once I buy one (Bayonetta/ ToV and so on).

And i'm gonna have to ask people to pay this off for me as my bday gift next year like i did for the 3DS. I will then regret buying it early like with my 3DS :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom