• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoanarch

artwalknoon said:
Serious question: would you be willing to pay $300 or 350 or even for $250 for the Nintendo equivalent of an xbox360 that plays HD Nintendo games? Obviously this is a hypothetical question and I'm not saying I think Nintendo would do that. But as a life long Nintendo fan, if they did do this, plus the ability to stream the game while you sit on the can, I would not open my wallet for it.

I wouldn't but lets take into account that neither the 360 or PS3 sells below 190$ and the premium bundle for both sells for almost $400. Consumers choices are hardly affected or swayed by tech specs.

This is why I believe the Cafe will have an internal HDD and come bundled with a game. Having a HDD seems like free money to both Sony and MS and every year they release a version with a bigger drive to keep prices high.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
snesfreak said:
"Nintendrones?"
Really?
REALLY?

Doesn't sound any worse than "Xbots". Is there a PlayStation equivalent? The name doesn't lend itself well to these bad puns.

Codeblue

artwalknoon said:
Serious question: would you be willing to pay $300 or 350 or even for $250 for the Nintendo equivalent of an xbox360 that plays HD Nintendo games? Obviously this is a hypothetical question and I'm not saying I think Nintendo would do that. But as a life long Nintendo fan, if they did do this, plus the ability to stream the game while you sit on the can, I would not open my wallet for it.

Depends on what it launched with. I don't really care about the console features so much as what games are there. Nintendo's output has great lately so I would probably pick it up once a must have game came out.

methos75

Banned
artwalknoon said:

Depends on the games, if they get a HD 2.5D Super Mario out on this beast at launch, I am all there. What I see at E3 will make the call for me.

If the nightmare scenario occurs, where all or most of the bad rumors and suppositions are true (no HDMI, 1080i, half-baked online, PS3/360 level specs, no hard drive or fast storage options, $350-400), I'd wait for significant price drops.

As down as I was on the Wii, it still has 25+ retail games and some interesting WiiWare stuff that merited serious attention. Cafe would have to be far worse than this for me to even consider skipping it.

artwalknoon said:

The system's online functionality would be the deciding factor in this scenario.

CaptainDa

Neo Member
Quadrangulum said:
If the nightmare scenario occurs, where all or most of the bad rumors and suppositions are true (no HDMI, 1080i, half-baked online, PS3/360 level specs, no hard drive or fast storage options, $350-400), I'd wait for significant price drops.

As down as I was on the Wii, it still has 25+ retail games and some interesting WiiWare stuff that merited serious attention. Cafe would have to be far worse than this for me to even consider skipping it.

Wow, it didn't know the lack of hdmi was one of the rumours. That would be really annoyingly stupid of Nintendo... So much so that it's really hard to believe. Half-baked online is almost a given, especially in comparison to 360 or ps3. No intention to be an apologist, but they're slowly getting there... :) And they always have quirky, left-field ideas in that department.

I'm really looking forward to when (if ever) the official specs are unveiled, because all those rumours and speculations are like an emotional rollercoaster.(genius...what?...clever...wtf?...Screw you...oh ok) But hey, in the end it's the games, the innovation and the price that count, right? Most of us are going to buy at least two consoles anyway.

Still, exciting times we live in.

Instro

Zeal said:
Not only is this possible, and even likely, but nintendrones would love it, buy it and defend it to the death. It's no different then certain people in this thread trying to justify the console not needing a hdd, or explaining how SD cards would be a superior alternative.

No one can be that stupid, you have to be a fanboy by choice.

We are now on Gamefaqs.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
CaptainDa said:
Wow, it didn't know the lack of hdmi was one of the rumours. That would be really annoyingly stupid of Nintendo... So much so that it's really hard to believe.
Zero chances for that.

What Nintendo can do, though, is provide *only* hdmi out, and then sell expensive and/or obscure adaptors to analogue formats.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
blu said:
Zero chances for that.

What Nintendo can do, though, is provide *only* hdmi out, and then sell expensive and/or obscure adaptors to analogue formats.
The default output will still be composite, the only one everyone is guaranteed to have. Nintendo won't probably even pack in a HDMI cable.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Jocchan said:
The default output will still be composite, the only one everyone is guaranteed to have. Nintendo won't probably even pack in a HDMI cable.
I agree. I rushed that post a tad. What I really think the console with have is a proprietary digital AV port outputting some hdmi-compliant tmds signal (i.e. dvi-d/hdmi with little or no conversion). From there on, bundled in the box will be the composite proprietary cable. Hdmi cables will be sold separately but will be the cheapest of the cable lot as they'll be effectively dumb cables. Things like component/s-video proprietary cables will be obscure and expensive.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
blu said:
I agree. I rushed that post a tad. What I really think the console with have is a proprietary digital AV port outputting some hdmi-compliant tmds signal (i.e. dvi-d/hdmi with little or no conversion). From there on, bundled in the box will be the composite proprietary cable. Hdmi cables will be sold separately but will be the cheapest of the cable lot as they'll be effectively dumb cables. Things like component/s-video proprietary cables will be obscure and expensive.
Very likely.

bananas

Banned
Jocchan said:

My TV only supports that stupid box thing where you screw in the three things into the back of the TV and then fiddle around with the wire until the static disappears.

bananas said:
My TV only supports that stupid box thing where you screw in the three things into the back of the TV and then fiddle around with the wire until the static disappears.
Try using channel 3 instead of channel 4.

Zeal - nothing wrong with your post, but language like 'nintendrones' is probably not recommended

Banned sites, Inappropriate Posts, and Memes

Stumpokapow said:
- Console War. Obviously arguments about consoles, platforms, and publishers are going to get heated. Don't make things worse by calling out "xbots" or "ntards" or "fanboys" or "sdf" or "xdf" or insulting someone else by calling them one of those things. Clearly some people get a bit too attached, but the best thing you can do is try to improve conversation, not make it worse by dragging it down in the mud. It's also important to make sure you aren't getting too attached. If you find yourself getting super defensive about something or claiming that everyone other than you is "biased", chances are you should probably take a little break from the thread. Don't worry about calling out others--if moderators seem to be missing the thread, just call it to our attention via PM.

-MB-

There would be no reason at all to not have hdmi if its a HD system. Every HDTV made in last 6-7 years (ie. the vast vast majority out there) has at least 1 HDMI port.

-MB- said:
There would be no reason at all to not have hdmi if its a HD system. Every HDTV made in last 6-7 years (ie. the vast vast majority out there) has at least 1 HDMI port.

Doesn't HDMI require licence fees? If so, this is the company that retroactively removed MP3 support from the Wii to save money.

luffeN

Lonewolf_92 said:
Regarding the Toshiba "New Sensation" Haptic tech, in that video someone posted , the rep mentioned that the film they use can be put on curved surfaces and that it didn't nessarilly need to be on the screen to work (in the example they were showing, the phone also had the film on the back, allowing the user to feel it from both sides of the screen). Given that, imagine if Nintendo placed the same or similar film on each of the grips of the controller? Anything your character handles on screen that has a surface emulatable by the haptic film could find its way to your hands. Imagine for a moment a "Hitman" or "Assassin" game where you strangle a victim and can feel his or her life slowly fade away. Or a game like the upcoming LA Noir, where closely investigating evidence is an important element of the game.
Blind mown!
Mind blown!

Measley

Why can't Nintendo just go balls to the walls just once? I mean, just go all out. Make the most powerful console possible, embrace all the new tech options available, and just make a sick machine. This isn't 2001 anymore. I can't support a Nintendo console that utilizes old technology just so I can play Mario Bros. on old technology. I did it twice, I'm not doing it again. :(

JaseC said:
Doesn't sound any worse than "Xbots". Is there a PlayStation equivalent? The name doesn't lend itself well to these bad puns.

PSyborg?

CaptainDa said:
Wow, it didn't know the lack of hdmi was one of the rumours. That would be really annoyingly stupid of Nintendo... So much so that it's really hard to believe. Half-baked online is almost a given, especially in comparison to 360 or ps3. No intention to be an apologist, but they're slowly getting there... :) And they always have quirky, left-field ideas in that department.

It's not even a rumor, it's just ridiculous speculation. In the Kotaku rumors it mentions that Nintendo was looking at 1080i as a video cap or some such nonsense, and some people here on GAF assumed that it means that the Cafe wouldn't have a HDMI port.

Akai

Measley said:
Why can't Nintendo just go balls to the walls just once? I mean, just go all out. Make the most powerful console possible, embrace all the new tech options available, and just make a sick machine. This isn't 2001 anymore. I can't support a Nintendo console that utilizes old technology just so I can play Mario Bros. on old technology. I did it twice, I'm not doing it again. :(

Because they like making money instead of losing it?

neoanarch

Measley said:

Like Akai said they like making money. Also because Nintendo is pushing industry growth with its "underpowered" machines. Nintendo and Apple are responsible for gamings growth in the last few years. Do you want an Apple only gaming world?

JGS

Banned
Measley said:
They don't want to be Sega. They are never going to lose money intentionally for any real length of time. They are not the conglomerate that Sony & Microsoft are who can lose money for a time.

That's why they don't directly compete with them.

However, they do have tons of money and it's frustrating that they don't use it more in things that do make them money like software. They need to be larger.

ReyVGM said:
Yeah, I doubt they were able to sign a NDA since their hands are so delicate.

But then again, they could have just made the models hold something that looks like a controller and then photoshop them in the images. Just to avoid leaks and stuff.

I guess we need to find the photoshoppers. Good work batman.

Measley

neoanarch said:
Like Akai said they like making money. Also because Nintendo is pushing industry growth with its "underpowered" machines. Nintendo and Apple are responsible for gamings growth in the last few years. Do you want an Apple only gaming world?

It will never be an Apple-only gaming world, and I disagree that Nintendo and Apple have been pushing gaming's growth. Almost everyone I know owns either a 360 or a PS3, and the growth of online, and HD gaming is exclusively coming from those two consoles. Let's face it, the next PS and X-Box is going to be a technical wonder. Meanwhile, Nintendo is going to make a console with 6 year old technology?

Heck, Call of Duty has pushed the industry's growth more than Apple and Nintendo. >,>

MYE

Measley said:
It will never be an Apple-only gaming world, and I disagree that Nintendo and Apple have been pushing gaming's growth. Almost everyone I know owns either a 360 or a PS3, and the growth of online, and HD gaming is exclusively coming from those two consoles.

Heck, Call of Duty has pushed the industry's growth more than Apple and Nintendo. >,>

You gotta be shitting me

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Akai said:
Haha, that's a good one. Know anymore jokes?

Two zebras are talking and one asks the other, "Am I black with white stripes or white with black stripes?" The other replies, "Well I don't know. You should pray to God about that and ask him." So that night he did and God replied, "You are what you are." The next day he said to the other zebra, "I still don't understand what I am because God just said, You are what you are." The second zebra responds, "Call of Duty."

JaseC

Lonewolf_92 said:
MYE said:
I thought it was Sony Defense Force
Sonybot?
Sonytards?

Gamespot calls them Cows.

Ah, being 12 again. Must be fun.

"Sonytards" sounds familiar. As for the bold, I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of somebody forming a farm animal display chart showing the different fanboy cultures. In a way, it would be apt.

MYE

JaseC said:
"Sonytards" sounds familiar. As for the bold, I couldn't help but laugh at the idea of somebody forming a farm animal display chart showing the different fanboy cultures. In a way, it would be apt.

Yep, they do it.

Nintendo fanboys = Sheep
Microsoft fanboys = Lemmings
Sony fanboys = Cows
PC fanboys = Hermit Crabs

Measley

Akai said:
Haha, that's a good one. Know anymore jokes?

12 million units sold? Every time Call of Duty releases its a huge event, and its been like that for years now.

Anyway, I just wish Nintendo would put out a competitive console, that's all.

rpmurphy said:
Probably depends on how much it is.

HDMI is 4¢ per device
$10,000 per year for membership

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1003502/hdmi-licence-costs-cents-device

I think that's a price Nintendo would pay tbh. They removed MP3 playing from the Wii, but they replaced it with AAC, which has fees as well (http://www.vialicensing.com/licensing/aac-fees.aspx), I think they only did that because AAC is the format iTunes rips to by default and it can be a superior container format. Still, it was kind of a puzzling move.

The 3DS plays both MP3s and AAC...

Ewww, system wars crap.

Also, why are we discussing this "If it's just a 360, would you pay X" stuff?
We already know that likely isn't the case.

JaseC

MYE said:
Yep, they do it.

Nintendo fanboys = Sheep
Microsoft fanboys = Lemmings
Sony fanboys = Cows
PC fanboys = Hermit Crabs

'Hermit Crabs' got me.

"Hey, guys, I just upgraded my PC after selling the old one and..."
"FUCKING HERMIT CRAB!"

AceBandage said:
Ewww, system wars crap.

Also, why are we discussing this "If it's just a 360, would you pay X" stuff?
We already know that likely isn't the case.

Contingency planning, of course.

Kandinsky

artwalknoon said:
Well I've loved Nintendo since I was a kid but since the ps1, I've always had other consoles as well because there are some experiences that just can't be had on Nintendo consoles. If the cafe does have such dated tech it would be the first Nintendo home console I skip on.
Lol you know you wont.

Measley said:
12 million units sold? Every time Call of Duty releases its a huge event, and its been like that for years now.

Anyway, I just wish Nintendo would put out a competitive console, that's all.

CoD sells to the same people every time. Nintendo made gaming popular amongst normal people, it made gaming acceptable, it made it mainstream and understandable to people who would never in their lifes ever think about playing a video game.

Nintendo has done more for gaming then any other company will then decade. And why in the world should they go all the way with technology? It's only proved to be idiotic as Sony did it, and it took years before Microsoft were making money.

Nintendo goes to the limit of their budget, while maintaining profits. Which so far has shown to be the winning strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom