• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a link to the R700 gpu itself that IGN's source might be refering to. If that gpu is what IGN's source is refering to (rather than to the r700 family of cards), suffice it to say, that is very very good news..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2567

17190.png

Keep in mind this was back in 2008. The 2012 version of that same gpu would be built on 28nm rather than 55nm, and would thus be using around 100 watts of power.

Also of note, this what GRID on the PC looks like...

RaceDriverGRID(PC)24834.jpg

RaceDriverGRID%28PC%2924838.jpg

Drools.
Deguello said:
My mind is ablaze with ideas on the types of cool stuff you can do with a controller like these rumored ones.

You left out the two best possible uses...

Strategy games like Magic the Gathering Duel of the Planeswalkers, Texas Holdem or Scrabble, where you can't have your opponent finding out what you are holding.

Real Time Strategy games like Starcraft where you can't have your opponent find out what you are building and when you are attacking.

I hope to see both of those on the Wii 2.

Imagine if Activion Blizzard announces that it's porting Starcraft 2 to the Wii 2 with touchscreen controls just as they ported the original Starcraft to the N64.

The N64 version was awesome and even had splitscreen. Unfortunately, the splitscreen was unplayable since you always knew when you opponent was about to attack, and with what. This won't be a problem for the Wii 2.

allreal

Deguello said:
My mind is ablaze with ideas on the types of cool stuff you can do with a controller like these rumored ones.

Serious...some great ideas. I HAVE ONE TOO!!

SPORTS GAMES... just think about it... playing nba2k...4th quarter...10 seconds left...

YOUR THE COACH YOU DRAW UP THE PLAY!!!

HOW awesome would that be... pau n bynum set double screens at the top of the key...kobe comes around the pick...pass to kobe...he shoots...HE SCORES!!!!! *crowd goes wild*FEELIN LIKE PHIL JACKSON*...Awwwww yeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

MADDEN

Down by one... just scored a touchdown... going for the free kick... OH WAIT its a TRICK PLAY!!! WHATT!!! 2 points converted!!!!!

The controller HAS to be comfortable..please nintendo....PLEASE COMFORT! would be soooooo amazing. this is all i want.

please nintendo and 2k sports...

M74 said:
Here's a thought: Instead of posting this request here, where they won't see it, why not shoot the IGN Wii crew a message explaining the difference between the two interpretations in their information and asking for a clarification? They openly admitted on the podcast that they aren't tech-minded people, they probably don't know what they're talking about. They do check the messages sent to them, they read them on the podcasts. Maybe if you alert them to the pitfalls here, they'll look into it.

I already did, before posting it here. I just figured IGN also reads this place, and a few posters here are connected to IGN. Here's hoping they got the message and will look into it.

It could end all the confusion about the console's power level once and for all if they just clarify that one small detail.

Christine

beelzebozo said:
listen.

if you were smart enough to think of this, the people whose express job it is to design the controller and make it feel comfortable and usable in the hands will probably factor in how heavy it is. i'm not saying they knock it out of the park every time (i have liked every one of nintendo's controllers for the record), but rest assured that weight will definitely be on their list, and it will not be uncomfortable for a good, long play session.

It's tethered to the ceiling a la Johnny Jump Up. Either that or it'll have reverse gravity cells.

Also, it's wired to the console.

M74 said:
Here's a thought: Instead of posting this request here, where they won't see it, why not shoot the IGN Wii crew a message explaining the difference between the two interpretations in their information and asking for a clarification?

How exactly do I shoot them a message? Is there a specific email address.

I simply posted the question on their wall and comments section, but I'm doubtful that anyone even reads the thing.

Juice

Anyone guessing at the MSRP of these touch screen controllers?

Unless the LCD quality is really crap, I don't see how they can sell a controller at less than $100. That might mean $350 for a system and $650 for a system with four controllers. Yeowch. I could imagine the controllers being priced even higher, since Nntendo has traditionally opted for fat margins on accessories.

Juice said:

Unless the LCD quality is really crap, I don't see how they can sell a controller at less than $100. That might mean $350 for a system and $650 for a system with four controllers. Yeowch. I could imagine the controllers being priced even higher, since Nntendo has traditionally opted for fat margins on accessories.

IGN did. They said they estimate the manufacturing costs of a controller with a 6" screen at $25, where as the Wiimotes they estimate only cost $6 or so to make, and the rest of the money goes into profit.

They also speculate that Nintendo might be willing to cut into their profits on the the controllers a bit to make sure their console succeeds.

Juice said:

what colbert said, i'd say at most they may go up to 70/80 but i'm banking it to be around 50/60.

Juice

Stephen Colbert said:
IGN did. They said they estimate the manufacturing costs of a controller with a 6" screen at $25, where as the Wiimotes they estimate only cost $6 or so to make, and the rest of the money goes into profit.

They also speculate that Nintendo might be willing to cut into their profits on the the controllers a bit to make sure their console succeeds.
$25 cost? That seems absurdly low.

Cobra84 said:
Or we could play online like normal people have been for almost 20 years.

For the last time, online gaming is not a substitute for local multiplayer. It's a completely different experience playing with someone sitting next to you, and playing games at parties without a group of friends sharing a pizza, than it is playing by yourself online.

Juice said:

That's the manufacturing cost. And it seems perfectly accurate. There's GPS systems with 6 inch screens that retail for $60 or so.

The retail cost of this controller will probably be around $60. But there's no reason to think the manufacturing cost will be much more than $25 or so.

DoomXploder7 said:
what colbert said, i'd say at most they may go up to 70/80 but i'm banking it to be around 50/60.

if it was 50/60, then MS and Sony will be forced to drop the price of their controllers.

"the Cafe controller is only $10 more than a 360 contoller. and it doesn't even have a touch screen!"

Deguello

Juice said:

Remember that a high price of a piece of electronics is sometimes due to a desire to recuperate R&D costs, and not necessarily the actual price of the component parts.

antonz

Controllers have always been a major source or profits for companies. Its one of those things that make you scratch your head sometimes. The fact they are so profitable but it seems like Nintendo is the only one that actually really pushes the idea of lots of multiplayer locally to sell multiple controllers to a household

Krowley

when IGN talks about handles like the dreamcast you gotta think about the way the dreamcast is made. It has rear grips, instead of arms like the xbox or cube controllers... I mean, they're sort of like gripping arms, but mostly they're behind the controller..

szto90.jpg

I'm thinking like a giant handheld looking design, relativley flat on top, with grips behind it for improved ergonomics.

The possibilities of the controller seem a bit conflicted to me. If you are able to stream the gameplay from the console onto the screen of the controller then how can they use that same screen as additional input for games since once you start streaming that extra screen is taken up and you lose that space. Maybe the gameplay of the games will change slightly when streaming such as additional HUD elements or buttons overlaying on top of the streamed image.

Cobra84

Stephen Colbert said:
For the last time, online gaming is not a substitute for local multiplayer. It's a completely different experience playing with someone sitting next to you, and playing games at parties without a group of friends sharing a pizza, than it is playing by yourself online.
Ok, it would be cheaper and easier to play the card games with real cards and I wouldn't want to play a RTS what would basically be a DSi XXL.

Deguello

CrAzYLeGzLU said:
The possibilities of the controller seem a bit conflicted to me. If you are able to stream the gameplay from the console onto the screen of the controller then how can they use that same screen as additional input for games since once you start streaming that extra screen is taken up and you lose that space. Maybe the gameplay of the games will change slightly when streaming such as additional HUD elements or buttons overlaying on top of the streamed image.

I'm under the assumption that they meant streaming "game content" and not streaming "entire games" aside from VC titles and such. I think the TV will still be used as the main display. Otherwise, why get an HD-capable GPU if it's going to be wasted on a 6 inch screen?

I haven't been following this thread and keeping track of the various mockups everyone has posted.

But the idea earlier to make a seperate thread just hosting a ton of console and controller mockups in the OP (basically all of the images from this thread), sounds awesome and handy to compare with when we find out what the controller actually looks like.

Cobra84 said:
Ok, it would be cheaper and easier to play the card games with real cards and I wouldn't want to play a RTS what would basically be a DSi XXL.

Well that's just you. Multiple people are already salivating at the proposition of playing RTS games using the touchscreen controller.

And if you think playing Magic the Gathering the card game is cheaper than the videogame, you clearly have never ever ever played Magic the Gathering.

Stephen Colbert said:
Well that's just you.

And if you think playing Magic the Gathering the card game is cheaper than the videogame, you clearly have never ever ever played Magic the Gathering.

or any card game really, hundreds of dollars i'll never see again ;;.

Mrbob

DarkPanda said:
Question: does mean that multi-touch is a possibility now, or is it still single-touch only? Because really, single-touch, especially on a controller would be so much fail.

Yeah I don't understand single touch either in this day and age. If Nintendo wants to take on Apple it has to be multi touch.

Deguello said:
I'm under the assumption that they meant streaming "game content" and not streaming "entire games" aside from VC titles and such. I think the TV will still be used as the main display. Otherwise, why get an HD-capable GPU if it's going to be wasted on a 6 inch screen?

I think it's up to developers to decide how they want to use.

Nintendo last year in a Q & A specifically said that it would be cool to play a game on a console even when someone else was watching tv, or the tv was off altogether.

And now they designed a console capable of doing just that. So I fully expect a few Nintendo games to take advantage of this and offer you the option to play game entirely on the controller, even when the tv is being used by someone else.

Mrbob

Stephen Colbert said:
Imagine if Activion Blizzard announces that it's porting Starcraft 2 to the Wii 2 with touchscreen controls just as they ported the original Starcraft to the N64.

The N64 version was awesome and even had splitscreen. Unfortunately, the splitscreen was unplayable since you always knew when you opponent was about to attack, and with what. This won't be a problem for the Wii 2.

You want SC2 with touch screen controls from the controller? Sounds terrible.

Blizzard games scale well. Go play it where it will work properly.

Krowley

Deguello said:

Run images of that quality onto a tiny screen, and they actually look even better with less hardware overhead. Small screens make it harder to see imperfections..

Also, every rumor seems to stress that streaming entire games is a key feature. Every rumor. One of the french articles even goes into detail about how it's not streaming video, but rather streaming precompiled graphics data of some sort, which would apparently require less bandwidth.

One possibility: secondary information requires a button press when streaming to the controller, like going to a pause screen.

Second possibility: letterboxing with two images on screen at once. This would work better with a portrait mode screen though.

Deguello said:

Right now we don't know for sure but I've seen people talk about it both ways. The main use for streaming the whole game would be to bypass the tv that it's hooked up to if someone else is using it. Or that if you've got a multiplayer game each user can get their own stream of the game so you don't have to deal with split screen. But I could also see it functioning similar to how the second screen of the DS does with just additional information for the main game.

at this point the front of all of these mock ups have been refined to more or less what we expect it to be, now it's time to think about the side and rear views in my opinion .

Fou-Lu

DoomXploder7 said:
or any card game really, hundreds of dollars i'll never see again ;;.

Totally worth it though. ^_^

(However, a good card game on a console like Stream would definitely be welcome)

thefit

The most logical reason for such a large screen has to be adaptive controllers maybe this means the left and right sides of the controller holding the buttons etc could maybe be able to be pushed inward toward the center leaving one or both sides physical control free. Imagine moving the right side out of the way for a fighter that gives you the option of six arcade buttons mapped to the touch screen or a shift stick for a driver. Probably means the controller will also be their answer to drawing in iPhone/android games to their side, seamless migration from phones to nintendo.

Let me in

JasonMCG said:
Took a crack at it as well.
I think you have the right idea here. Looks like a streched out Wii remote. I think they're going to want to keep some continuity in the hardware design like they did with 3DS.

Mrbob said:
You want SC2 with touch screen controls from the controller? Sounds awesome.

Blizzard games scale well. Go play it where it will work properly, a device with touch screen controls.

Fixed.

Starcraft 2 on a console would let you play the game with your friends by your side, without having to drag a bunch of pcs over to your house.

I think console gaming is more fun than pc gaming, and many people share that view, which is why console games are so much more popular despite having poorer graphics.

Starcraft 2 with local multiplayer and touch screen controls would be an incredible experience.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SciencePilot said:
This controller worries me. It seems so complicated. I'm not sure how Nintendo can market this, since their last controller was so simple.

Really? The entirety of these concepts are "ipads + gc controllers." Please don't make people post those dumb gamecube win button mockups.

Rubius

I just wish that Cafe can produce more multiplayer games with solo element like Four Sword and Crystal Chronicle.
You know, like the player get his Life, and status and some info on HIS controller. Like, the fact that Crystal chronicle make each player unique by giving a Map to one of the player, the location of the treasure to the other, the life bar of the monster to a another, and info on the monster to the other. Its a game I want to play at 4 player one time... would be cool.

Any list of games that include this link between GBA and Gamecube?
I have only heard of
*Zelda : Wind Waker, where a second player can control Tingle with the GBA
*Zelda : Four Sword, where each player have his own screen when they go to caves and all that
*FF:Crystal Chronicle
And... That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom