• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Log4Girlz said:
They will force you to rest your hands by giving it a shitty battery life ;)
-video game pauses-
Videogame: " isn't it getting a bit heavy to hold the Striim controller? maybe you should take a break"

ElFly

Deguello said:
To be fair the original CC wasn't strung along the floor to the console. It was strung to the Wiimote, which is probably in your lap or to the side or on the (Project) coffee table.

Yeah, I put the wiimote on my shirt pocket when using the cc, normally.

Kandinsky

Stephen Colbert said:
Seriously, making that many fakes is an awful lot of work.

Plus they are all coming out over such a short time span.

There seems to be no real benefit, it's not like these are being leaked to a specific website to get hits.

And lastly, they pointed out "Screen Stream" before IGN reported that the name of the console is currently "Stream"

I think there's a decent chance these are the real deal, either the dev kit or the actual console.
Do you realize those are renders right? you can clearly tell looking at the black ones.

ombz

Billychu said:
Cafe being the codename is "likely"? Stopped reading there. We've known that's fact for a few days.
I guess if you want to be technical the codename hasn't been "officially" announced.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
KrawlMan said:
Dp0mg.png

Outside of the jenga inspired sides, I really like the 3DS.
I wish my Aqua Blue 3DS really looked like that.

J-Rock

Banned
IGN said:
We're certain Nintendo's console features controllers with touch screens built into them. The only question is the precise design. We've heard it's effectively a sideways, six-inch iPod Touch, albeit with a directional pad, two analog sticks, face buttons and shoulder buttons. We've heard rumors about a camera, though we have yet to get confirmation one way or the other. Additionally the controller features some sort of grip on each side, perhaps similar to the Dreamcast's "handles."

Wait... IGN is saying the whole controller is 6 inches now? Not that the screen is 6 inches?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Rez said:
Youre only as pretty as your last console, and the 3DS is an aesthetic abomination.
Have you seen one in person? Honest question, I thought it was pretty ugly until I saw my friend's. The 3DS is sexy as hell.

The Technomancer

Maxwell House said:
True, but batteries like the one in the iPad that is pretty massive and allows for 10+ hours of use are pretty damn expensive parts. I would think that if the controllers have similarly high powered batteries the controllers might be prohibitively expensive to manufacture. I doubt that Nintendo goes with really high powered batteries.
Yeah, but it shouldn't have to. The actual processing on the controller should be negligible.

watershed

Banned
J-Rock said:
Wait... IGN is saying the whole controller is 6 inches now? Not that the screen is 6 inches?

I hope they are referring to the screen size and not the controller size. A tiny screen would be fairly useless, at least 6" screen, as big as that sounds to stick in the middle of a controller, offers more possible functions.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Stop giving IGN hits plz

Anyways there's basically nothing until E3 so yay.

yep it's gonna be a loooooooooong 5/6 weeks and also this has basically ruined any other leak or rumor that could have possibly come in may for me :( . (not withstanding more Café rumors)

Glass Joe

IGN said:
We're certain Nintendo's console features controllers with touch screens built into them. The only question is the precise design. We've heard it's effectively a sideways, six-inch iPod Touch, albeit with a directional pad, two analog sticks, face buttons and shoulder buttons. We've heard rumors about a camera, though we have yet to get confirmation one way or the other. Additionally the controller features some sort of grip on each side, perhaps similar to the Dreamcast's "handles."

So it's basically an iPod touch. But with a d-pad, 2 sticks, face buttons, shoulder buttons and handles. Yeah that's not really like an iPod touch then, IGN. Thanks for your valuable insight! When it comes to rumors, IGN is the worst source for credible info it seems. It's too bad they have a voice because they're the first to take made up crap and run with it.

Trike

Kintaco said:
I'll throw my Stream controller into the mix. http://i.imgur.com/QdCPE.png
The screen is 16:10 but there is a notification banner on top, the game portion of the screen is 16:9. The bottom part of the controller has all the "weight" so it shouldn't feel top heavy.

I like it, it reminds me of the original Gameboy. I don't know if it would be comfortable as a regular controller though.

optimiss said:
http://i54.tinypic.com/6r7pxi.png

Same with this one. A lot of people seem to be making the controller a flat surface with analog sticks and buttons. It seems too uncomfortable, and I doubt that Nintendo would do that. Also Striim is the worst name ever. Wii had a few different meanings with it's name. This one only has two: streaming and thinking that "ii" is more recognizable than Nintendo.

Boney

Banned
DoomXploder7 said:
yep it's gonna be a loooooooooong 5/6 weeks and also this has basically ruined any other leak or rumor that could have possibly come in may for me :( . (not withstanding more Café rumors)
we can talk about the new 3ds games!

oh.. wait...

The Technomancer

IGN said:

Wow....that is one of the most useless quotes I've ever read.

"So its like a controller, but with a screen in the middle"

v4gr4nt

beelzebozo said:
listen.

if you were smart enough to think of this, the people whose express job it is to design the controller and make it feel comfortable and usable in the hands will probably factor in how heavy it is. i'm not saying they knock it out of the park every time (i have liked every one of nintendo's controllers for the record), but rest assured that weight will definitely be on their list, and it will not be uncomfortable for a good, long play session.
Yeah, I know and trust Nintendo. But there are always trade off that you have to face. Same thing happened with the 3ds. People said that it was impossible to have a Nintendo handheld with shitty battery life... and look what happened.

The thread moves so fast that I can barely keep up. One of the central things that I don't understand with all the mockups is the placement of the analog sticks. Why would people want those sticks on the same horizontal level?

It's just horrible compared to the analog placement on the 360 pad and makes genres like Shooters and Fighters a mess. The left analog stick needs to be above the D-pad. Hell, the GC pad has the sticks placed in the same way as the 360 pad.

Sony needs to evolve their standard pad. MS and Nintendo have moved their pads forward. No way I'm sticking with that analog setup...

J-Rock said:
I get the feeling IGN has some weak sources.

Probably no less weak than the sources anyone else had (and in fact, the sources are likely all the same between sites).
It's all varying degrees of facts at this point.

ombz said:
I guess if you want to be technical the codename hasn't been "officially" announced.

except Wario World is as real as Nintendo announcing the damn thing themselves. for what reason would they troll people? it's a business site, not an entertainment one

brochiller said:
Has this been posted yet? IGN gives their take on some rumors floating around out there.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1164332p1.html

For godsake, no one cares about those rumors. What they care about is the gpu (and controller).

IGN, can you guys please find out once and for all from your source what he meant when he said it's based on the AMD R700 graphics architecture.

Was your source talking about the actual AMD R700 gpu which was essentially a ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (a powerful gpu that is atleast 5x more powerful than the gpu in the Xbox 360), or was he refering to the AMD R700 architecture in general, which includes every gpu in the HD4000 family including some that are weaker than or just barely as powerful as the Xbox 360.

Can you please ask your source that and find out which he was referring to, one way or another. That would clear up a LOT of confusion online.

I understand that he may ultimatley be wrong. But the real question is, which one was he specifically referring to, the r700 gpu itself, or the architecture? Even if he winds up being wrong.

Thank you.

Boney

Banned
From The Dust said:
except Wario World is as real as Nintendo announcing the damn thing themselves. for what reason would they troll people? it's a business site, not an entertainment one
can it be both?

Boney

Banned
From The Dust said:
no. for what reason would civilians go to the site to apply for a dev kit? they have to form a company first and have proof of them getting ready to develop a game
cause we is gaf yo

4 lyfe

donny2112

ShockingAlberto said:
IGN said "an iPad with handles."

Somehow this results in none of the mockups having handles.

Physically drew out an 800x500 ratio 6" diagonal screen, and it's basically the size of the GameCube controller without the handles. Therefore, I'm throwing in my lot with the group who draws it like a GameCube controller split in half with the screen in the middle offset upwards. Or CCPro split in half. Doesn't really matter.

This still works as a replacement for the controls, when you can't be playing on the TV. Touch-screen still works as the pointer, CCPro controls are still there, and gyros for motion. This would mean that Wiimote+ and CCPro are still main input methods, and one of the purposes of this controller with screen is to duplicate that control method, when the TV's occupied.

The controller doesn't seem to work as a pointer itself, and there's no way
(hopefully)
that Nintendo would do away with pointer controls. Therefore, the Wiimote pointer is still used, and the touchscreen doubles for its functionality when the TV's in use. Yeah!

Log4Girlz

Stephen Colbert said:
For godsake, no one cares about those rumors. What they care about is the gpu (and controller).

IGN, can you guys please find out once and for all from your source what he meant when he said it's based on the AMD R700 graphics architecture.

Was your source talking about the actual AMD R700 gpu which was essentially a ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (a powerful gpu that is atleast 5x more powerful than the gpu in the Xbox 360), or was he refering to the AMD R700 architecture in general, which includes every gpu in the HD4000 family including some that are weaker than or just barely as powerful as the Xbox 360.

Can you please ask your source that and find out which he was referring to, one way or another. That would clear up a LOT of confusion online.

I understand that he may ultimatley be wrong. But the real question is, which one was he specifically referring to, the r700 gpu itself, or the architecture? Even if he winds up being wrong.

Thank you.

That's not going to happen. They may announce this info at E3 or we may need to infer it from the games shown. Nintendo always tweaks designs, so any class of R700 chip will be more efficient than its PC counterpart.

Let's just hope its one of the more powerful chips. Now, if IGN is saying the console is as big as the original Xbox 360, there's just no way its a weaker chip. How could it? You could take the weakest chip in the line, which tweaked would be just barely above an Xbox 360 and it should fit fine in the Wii or slightly larger form factor. Agree or disagree?

Deguello

My mind is ablaze with ideas on the types of cool stuff you can do with a controller like these rumored ones.

FPS
For this genre I imagine a multiplayer mode where the goal is to input codes for a nuclear device or something. You actually input the code on your controller, which causes you to focus on the controller to do it faster or try to strafe while doing it which helps you dodge but you might screw up the code. This is certainly better than similar modes where you just kinda hold a button over an objective, and would directly tie into your code-input ability.

This would also be good for team play as you could put your weakest or least skilled teammate to do nothing but that while better shooters defend.

Survival Horror
I would certainly love a tricksy game developer to do something that required the player to fiddle with something on the controller screen and then look up and see a zombie or a vampire screaming at them a third of the way through.

Metal Gear
I'm choosing this specific game because a great thing they could do is not have codec conversations monopolize the screen. If the Cafe controller comes with speakers of good enough quality (or even bad enough for effect) you could move all codecs to the controller, which would provide rolling action during codec delivery, making for less artificially lengthened game time and some pretty hectic boss fights where you need new info on the fly.

Also, making the codecs come from the controller certainly has the personalizing effect that the message is intended for you and only you, Snake.

RPGS and Action RPGs
One of the neat things about the DS was that you didn't have to fiddle with as many menus to simply get data like the EXP for the next level. Allowing quick glances to permanent menus makes for a tight, controlled experience that makes menus non-encumbering.

General

1. Just clearing out the HUD and making games look cleaner and less "this is obviously a video game" screens for those cinematic types out there.

2. Move achievements to the controller and give a little jingle or a rumble when you get one, so you don't get a big jarring message on the screen. (I hope Nintendo links the 3DS's Coin system to some kind of achievement system for Cafe, btw. That would be neat and more of an incentive to get them than just a score.)

Log4Girlz said:
That's not going to happen. They may announce this info at E3 or we may need to infer it from the games shown. Nintendo always tweaks designs, so any class of R700 chip will be more efficient than its PC counterpart.

Let's just hope its one of the more powerful chips. Now, if IGN is saying the console is as big as the original Xbox 360, there's just no way its a weaker chip. How could it? You could take the weakest chip in the line, which tweaked would be just barely above an Xbox 360 and it should fit fine in the Wii or slightly larger form factor. Agree or disagree?

IGN's source was not Nintendo. If it was Nintendo, Nintendo would unveil the info themselves rather than go through a third party.

IGN's source was someone who told them the actual hardware inside the system when he wasn't supposed to.

What IGN needs to do, is find out what he meant when said R700. Because R700 is the name two very different things.

On one hand, R700 is the name of a well known, well publicized, very specific, very powerful gpu, which was the 4870x2. Was this what the source was refering to?

On the other hand, R700 is the name of a family of graphics cards. Was that family of gpus what IGN's source was refering to.

IGN's source knows which of those two things he was talking about when he said R700. Now it's up to IGN to do due diligience and find out from him which of those two things it actually is.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
Physically drew out an 800x500 ratio 6" diagonal screen, and it's basically the size of the GameCube controller without the handles. Therefore, I'm throwing in my lot with the group who draws it like a GameCube controller split in half with the screen in the middle offset upwards. Or CCPro split in half. Doesn't really matter.

Something like this (very) crude mockup.

crude_wii2_controller_mockup_small.jpg

IGN said:

So it pretty much looks just like this...

mockup-brad.png

The two bumps on each side are the handles.

Kintaco

Link Man said:
This doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention. Just wanted to let you know that I like it.
Appreciate it, it took me way longer than it should have too. That's what happens when you have shitty Photoshop skills I guess.

M74

Stephen Colbert said:
IGN's source was not Nintendo. If it was Nintendo, Nintendo would unveil the info themselves rather than go through a third party.

IGN's source was someone who told them the actual hardware inside the system when he wasn't supposed to.

What IGN needs to do, is find out what he meant when said R700. Because R700 is the name two very different things.

On one hand, R700 is the name of a well known, well publicized, very specific, very powerful gpu, which was the 4870x2. Was this what the source was refering to?

On the other hand, R700 is the name of a family of graphics cards. Was that family of gpus what IGN's source was refering to.

IGN's source knows which of those two things he was talking about when he said R700. Now it's up to IGN to do due diligience and find out from him which of those two things it actually is.

Here's a thought: Instead of posting this request here, where they won't see it, why not shoot the IGN Wii crew a message explaining the difference between the two interpretations in their information and asking for a clarification? They openly admitted on the podcast that they aren't tech-minded people, they probably don't know what they're talking about. They do check the messages sent to them, they read them on the podcasts. Maybe if you alert them to the pitfalls here, they'll look into it.

DarkPanda

IGN said:
We're certain Nintendo's console features controllers with touch screens built into them. The only question is the precise design. We've heard it's effectively a sideways, six-inch iPod Touch, albeit with a directional pad, two analog sticks, face buttons and shoulder buttons.

Question: does mean that multi-touch is a possibility now, or is it still single-touch only? Because really, single-touch, especially on a controller would be so much fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom