• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
VerTiGo said:
I'd personally prefer if it didn't look like a GBASP and more like Sony's NGP like most of these mock-ups. So, I'm not agreeing with you. We'll find out soon enough I guess.
Oh, I'm sure it's not going to look like the mock-up. I'm just saying that I find the design of the mock-up appealing in that it looks a bit more elegant than some of those posted.

For the record, I like MYE's design as well.

J-Rock

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Okay so what is going on with the 1up article? I just read it but I can't tell what is him reporting more "rumors" and what is he just imagining? It all sounds great actually, almost exactly what I would want from Nintendo online, but it sounds like he's just dreaming up stuff.
Has it been discussed yet?

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-stream-console

Sounds interesting. Some of that stuff would work really well with something like Animal Crossing.

VerTiGo

Banned
Link Man said:
Oh, I'm sure it's not going to look like the mock-up. I'm just saying that I find the design of the mock-up appealing in that it looks a bit more elegant than some of those posted.

For the record, I like MYE's design as well.

Something about a GBA SP design would seem more like a toy. I feel like the aesthetics of modern game technology are looking less and less like colorful toys. Probably why most people are making mock-ups of that look eerily similar to Sony's NGP. I'm not debating the form or function, I never used a GBA SP.

watershed

Banned
optimiss said:
6r7pxi.png

This is probably my favorite one yet, but most of the new mock ups in the last few pages have been really good. Is there a thread just for Wii2 console and controller mock ups? It would be great if someone would do that so we could compare and look at them all in one place instead of being stuck between posts about new rumors and Nintendo am doomed arguments.

artwalknoon said:
Okay so what is going on with the 1up article? I just read it but I can't tell what is him reporting more "rumors" and what is he just imagining? It all sounds great actually, almost exactly what I would want from Nintendo online, but it sounds like he's just dreaming up stuff.
Has it been discussed yet?

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-stream-console

On a recent 1Up podcast, he basically laid down a bunch of hints about what the online would be.
No Friend Codes and such.
He's just expanding on it now.
These are apparently things he's heard Nintendo is wanting to implement in Cafe.

Really, outside of a few things (like retrofitting older games with online) aren't all that crazy. It's a lot of stuff Nintendo has been saying for years, and is even planning for the 3DS.

TwinIonEngines said:
Controllers will be wired, solving both the battery and streaming lag issues.

That would totally negate the concept of being able to play your striim on a toilet, porch, patio, basement or wherever that is not directly in front of the hdtv.

I actually love the concept of the screen on the controller and think there is a ton that can be done with it if devs actually think outside the box. For example, for 1v1 madden in person perhaps you'd be able to call plays and audibles and other on the fly calls on the striim screen which would stop people from staring into the oppositions play book. Simple but nice.

Link Man

Banned
VerTiGo said:
Something about a GBA SP design would seem more like a toy. I feel like the aesthetics of modern game technology are looking less and less like colorful toys. Probably why most people are making mock-ups of that look eerily similar to Sony's NGP. I'm not debating the form or function, I never used a GBA SP.
And yet, I find that the NGP itself looks a bit like a toy. But that's neither here nor there.

The great benefit of a GBA SP is that you don't have to crane your neck as much to look between your hands. I would think that this alone would make a player look less like the stereotype of a gamer as portrayed in popular media.

KAL2006

Banned
I come back to this thread and I continue to see mockups that are shaped like handhelds, It's sad to see even people in GAF don't want a regular shaped controller that has handles that is comfortable.

EDIT:
also wouldn't the right analog being directly underneath face buttons be awkward to use, that is wher eI see the placement of right analog in all mockups, the right analog is never directly underneath face buttons it is more centered so it is easy to use. It seems most mockups don't really consider usability but just give a sleek design.

J-Rock said:
Sounds interesting. Some of that stuff would work really well with something like Animal Crossing.
We still have a looong way to go. Have you ever heard about Friend Codes? Cool story.

Animal Crossing and Nintendo's online system are foverer stuck in the early 2000s. A mess, so much potential. :(

Emitan

KAL2006 said:
I come back to this thread and I continue to see mockups that are shaped like handhelds, It's sad to see even people in GAF don't want a regular shaped controller that has handles that is comfortable.
It's probably because it's easier to draw rectangles than a controller with handles.

Christine

Kid Icarus said:
That would totally negate the concept of being able to play your striim on a toilet, porch, patio, basement or wherever that is not directly in front of the hdtv.

Controller cables will come in lengths of 6', 8', 30 yards and 100 yards.

jett

D-Member
It's not going to be wired, you so crazy. It'll use bluetooth, lag will be unnoticeable. Battery better be ipad-huge though, ensuring 10 hours of battery life at least.

dwu8991

Banned
jett said:
It's not going to be wired, you so crazy. It'll use bluetooth, lag will be unnoticeable. Battery better be ipad-huge though, ensuring 10 hours of battery life at least.

Won't be 10 hours, more 3 hours.

DreD

artwalknoon said:
I wish someone like the french site or IGN would "confirm" what the 1up dude says. Those would be amazing features for a Nintendo console. Plus with that kind of an always on, integrated social gaming experience I could see myself using the 6" screen controller instead of always gaming on the tv. It seems like all of a sudden I might start treating gaming like how I do my ipod touch or laptop. Something that is always around me, where I might play for a little, check out some online stuff, check out what my friends are doing etc.

Very few seem to remember this, but Nintendo did try to offer those kind of features through past expirements on the SNES and the N64 (N64DD). Satellaview and RandNet were services offered in Japan only that tried to accomplish what Xbox Live is doing now (with more "primitive" technology mind you). Nintendo has had plenty of experience in the online space, but for some reason, they seem to have taken many steps backward through the GameCube and Wii generations. Considering how technology has evolved since then and the supposed processing power of this new machine, it wouldn't be that surprising to see Nintendo adopt a more agressive strategy on that front (especially if they think they can have an edge on Xbox Live this time around).

It is speculation, but as I said, it doesn't seem that far fetched when you consider Nintendo's past ventures in that area.

watershed

Banned
KAL2006 said:

EDIT:
also wouldn't the right analog being directly underneath face buttons be awkward to use, that is wher eI see the placement of right analog in all mockups, the right analog is never directly underneath face buttons it is more centered so it is easy to use. It seems most mockups don't really consider usability but just give a sleek design.
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/04/sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg
how bout this one? It looks the best to me out of all the ones that retain some "controller" like shape versus the tablet shape. Seems like it would be comfortable to use for extended playtimes.

Refreshment.01 said:
I don´t know if you are being sarcastic, but your mock up is as good as any of the one already posted. In the sense that it clearly comunicates your vision, not fancy by any means but it works. Generally speacking people seem to be in the same boat.

Too bad i don´t have skillz for sh!t, cause i really like the idea i have, at least it´ll make the controller a bit more unique and very small in size.
Yeah I was kinda joking because every mockup has basically the same setup. I'm sure Nintendo will floor us when we see their design.

jett

D-Member
dwu8991 said:
Won't be 10 hours, more 3 hours.

It's just a screen receiving video feed, it's not gonna need the same power as a 3DS. Nintendo better not skimp on the battery size again, though.

J-Rock

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
We still have a looong way to go. Have you ever heard about Friend Codes? Cool story.

Animal Crossing and Nintendo's online system are foverer stuck in the early 2000s. A mess, so much potential. :(

Well the article stated that friend codes are being ditched. I know it's all rumor stuff but it sounds like it would work well with AC. We'll see.

KAL2006

Banned
artwalknoon said:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/04/sam_spratt_nintendo_wii2_projectcafe_2.jpg
how bout this one? It looks the best to me out of all the ones that retain some "controller" like shape versus the tablet shape. Seems like it would be comfortable to use for extended playtimes.

yep thats more like it but again the D-Pad is right below the left analog, and the right analog is right below the face buttons, this is not how most controller are, usually the right analog and dpad/left analog are more centered.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Youre only as pretty as your last console, and the 3DS is an aesthetic abomination.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
artwalknoon said:
Yes, thank you for bringing this to my attention. By far the best mockup, and probably the closest thing anyone with a sense of ergonomics and understanding of the purpose of the device would produce.

yoopoo

Banned
J-Rock said:
Well the article stated that friend codes are being ditched. I know it's all rumor stuff but it sounds like it would work well with AC. We'll see.
Its his wishful thinking:
With Project Cafe, Nintendo aims to create the first social game console. What do I mean by this? Well, here's where you have to start imagining the future with me. First off, no more friend codes, that's for damn sure.

Friend codes are not being ditched. 3DS has them, why wouldn't Wii 2?

J-Rock

Banned
yoopoo said:
Its his wishful thinking:

Friend codes are not being ditched. 3DS has them, why wouldn't Wii 2?

I'm not saying they will be ditched. I know Nintendo's history. Would just be cool if the stuff in that article was all real. :/

defferoo

artwalknoon said:
No! as i've already stated, the handles are all wrong. can you imagine holding a controller with the handles inverted like that instead of coming out like any modern controller?
__
/ \ <- good (xbox 360, gamecube, dual shock, wii classic controller pro, etc, etc, everything)
__
\ / <- bad (i wonder why we've never seen a controller shaped like this? cause it SUCKS)

J-Rock said:
I'm not saying they will be ditched. I know Nintendo's history. Would just be cool if the stuff in that article was all real. :/
Yeah, best to ignore speculation/wishlists imo. You'll only be disappointed.

Well, from the way he said in both in that article and on the podcast, it's not speculation.
Simply what he's heard from developers and publishers.
We shall certainly see, though.

KevinCow

Banned
defferoo said:
No! as i've already stated, the handles are all wrong. can you imagine holding a controller with the handles inverted like that instead of coming out like any modern controller?
__
/ \ <- good (xbox 360, gamecube, dual shock, wii classic controller pro, etc, etc, everything)
__
\ / <- bad (i wonder why we've never seen a controller shaped like this? cause it SUCKS)

Dreamcast.

And it sucked.

Also why the hell was the wire on the bottom of the Dreamcast controller, who thought that was a good idea. I know that's not relevant to anything in this thread, but I can't bring up the Dreamcast controller without complaining about it.

I still don't even understand what they mean by "the first social game console." How much more social do you really get than local multiplayer? Only other thing I could think of is the stress pass set up with the 3DS, so maybe they have a similar thing for the controller in the works? I don't know...

watershed

Banned
Rez said:
Youre only as pretty as your last console, and the 3DS is an aesthetic abomination.
I disagree. The 3ds may not carry the apple or newly released sony S1 and S2 design philosophy of sleek black and simplicity but it is a very cool design. In person it is not nearly has "thick" as it looks in photos and both the blue and black are great strong colors. The tri-color design also works very well. Of course some people like more "adult" designs but I think the 3ds is hot.

Link Man

Banned
KevinCow said:
Also why the hell was the wire on the bottom of the Dreamcast controller, who thought that was a good idea. I know that's not relevant to anything in this thread, but I can't bring up the Dreamcast controller without complaining about it.
It seems Nintendo did at one time:

classic-controller.jpg

antonz said:
Batteries wont be an issue. Tablets are like 60-70% empty. That empty space is filled with battery. Dont expect 20 hour gaming sessions though
True, but batteries like the one in the iPad that is pretty massive and allows for 10+ hours of use are pretty damn expensive parts. I would think that if the controllers have similarly high powered batteries the controllers might be prohibitively expensive to manufacture. I doubt that Nintendo goes with really high powered batteries.

artwalknoon said:
This is probably my favorite one yet, but most of the new mock ups in the last few pages have been really good. Is there a thread just for Wii2 console and controller mock ups? It would be great if someone would do that so we could compare and look at them all in one place instead of being stuck between posts about new rumors and Nintendo am doomed arguments.

That's a really good idea. It would be cool to just look about how crazy what people come up with is, and then compare them to what Nintendo actually ends up doing.

Is there a mockup of the Stream as Virtual Reality headset. I think that would be exceptionally cool as well as far as mockups go.

It shouldn't be limited to just mockups though. There's no reason why it can't include a few actual devices like this one...

image_wrap_vr1200.jpg

and this (which supposedly mimics several senses, not just vision and sound)...

article-1159206-03BDCD80000005DC-170_468x364.jpg

Deguello

Link Man said:
It seems Nintendo did at one time:

classic-controller.jpg

To be fair the original CC wasn't strung along the floor to the console. It was strung to the Wiimote, which is probably in your lap or to the side or on the (Project) coffee table.

KrawlMan

artwalknoon said:
I disagree. The 3ds may not carry the apple or newly released sony S1 and S2 design philosophy of sleek black and simplicity but it is a very cool design. In person it is not nearly has "thick" as it looks in photos and both the blue and black are great strong colors. The tri-color design also works very well. Of course some people like more "adult" designs but I think the 3ds is hot.

Dp0mg.png

Outside of the jenga inspired sides, I really like the 3DS.

Glass Joe

TwinIonEngines said:
Controllers will be wired, solving both the battery and streaming lag issues.

No way Nintendo will do that. Battery issue will be solved with cradles similar to 3ds. Streaming lag hopefully won't be an issue since they seem to be basing the system around that functionality. I just hope that there's enough range for the thing. Not being able to take this thing into the next room / upstairs / etc would be a strike against it.

v4gr4nt

Haven't read the whole thread, but something that I think it may be a problem is the controller weight. Holding an Ipad can be very tiring. That is a big step back considering how confortable is the Wiimote.

Log4Girlz

v4gr4nt said:
Haven't read the whole thread, but something that I think it may be a problem is the controller weight. Holding an Ipad can be very tiring. That is a big step back considering how confortable is the Wiimote.

I envision partially resting it on my lap, that will solve most of that issue.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
v4gr4nt said:

listen.

if you were smart enough to think of this, the people whose express job it is to design the controller and make it feel comfortable and usable in the hands will probably factor in how heavy it is. i'm not saying they knock it out of the park every time (i have liked every one of nintendo's controllers for the record), but rest assured that weight will definitely be on their list, and it will not be uncomfortable for a good, long play session.

Log4Girlz

beelzebozo said:
listen.

if you were smart enough to think of this, the people whose express job it is to design the controller and make it feel comfortable and usable in the hands will probably factor in how heavy it is. i'm not saying they knock it out of the park every time (i have liked every one of nintendo's controllers for the record), but rest assured that weight will definitely be on their list, and it will not be uncomfortable for a good, long play session.

They will force you to rest your hands by giving it a shitty battery life ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom