• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

u didn't buy the Wii Party U bundle?
$50 for a controller instead of $40? I never have other people over to play games (tiny tiny apartment) so the game wouldn't ever get played. Plus I wanted colored remotes, Wii Party U is only available in boring black which wouldn't even match my white console.

Just played my first session, I like how the meter does its best to show your Mii on that tiny LCD display. And the weekly face portraits are definitely an interesting additional way to chart long-term progress.

dock

It'll be fascinating to see whether Nintendo address any feedback from this game with patches and updates over the next 9 months.

Terrell

anyone else a bit disappointed that there aren't online leaderboards, would be nice to have online friend scores to try and beat, and daily, weekly and regional leaderboards, thought joining a community might add it but no

bit of a wasted opportunity I feel, would have made it more competitive
Adding a competitive element to what is essentially a lifestyle assistant is a bit counter-intuitive. People might consider it intimidating and is antithetical to the purpose of Wii Fit's existence.

Chorazin

Got a my used Balance Board at Gamestop tonight, this thing is freaking mint! Then I found out all the rechargeable batteries in the house were dead. :-(

Can't wait to play tomorrow!

currently the fit meter has risen to #38 on amazon's best video game sellers. i'm sure that figure is helped out in that it is hard/nigh impossible to find in stores, but it does show that there's a strong interest in the promotion.

EDIT: now #30

#29 now. Hope this helps the Wii U. I follow the amazon chart, just for the heck, and I think this is the best a Wii U product has done.

edit: wow climbing fast, now #26

cheapsuit

Neo Member
Finally downloaded it earlier tonight. And My Fit Meter was waiting for me at the door.

But I'm too sick to actually play it.

dammit.

BooJoh

Adding a competitive element to what is essentially a lifestyle assistant is a bit counter-intuitive. People might consider it intimidating and is antithetical to the purpose of Wii Fit's existence.

Pretty much. Having leaderboards based on how much time you spend exercising would inevitably result in people hurting themselves by trying to top the leaderboards through overexertion, and having leaderboards based on personal goals would lead to people setting overly easy personal goals just to top the leaderboards.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, the simple dance routine I did went a long way to show just how unresponsive the OG Wii Remote with WM+ addon is compared to a Wii Remote+. I might have to see about getting another Wii Remote+ now.

Not sure if people noticed and in case people were going to look around B&M, from the NA page:

gKgVMXY.png

Gonna check Freddy's tomorrow.

NewGame

Banned
Just a warning, if you join a 'gym' community then for the love of Iwata disable the 'auto post notification' option. It will flood your entire Miiverse feed with

- Such and such just did a set of Jackknifes!
- Such and such just played Hula Hoop!
- Such and such just played Steps Plus!

It's like a typical ADHD house wives Facebook updates. It's really terrible and isn't disabled even if you disallow Miiverse feed messages from games from the Miiverse itself.

Just a warning, if you join a 'gym' community then for the love of Iwata disable the 'auto post notification' option. It will flood your entire Miiverse feed with

- Such and such just did a set of Jackknifes!
- Such and such just played Hula Hoop!
- Such and such just played Steps Plus!

It's like a typical ADHD house wives Facebook updates. It's really terrible and isn't disabled even if you disallow Miiverse feed messages from games from the Miiverse itself.

Thanks, where is that?

Wasn't Pikmin 3 or was it WWHD that was at #12?

mmm, the highest I saw WW was at 42 I think. Not sure about Pikmin, but it sold well in NA, like 90k.

oatmeal

Banned
Pretty much. Having leaderboards based on how much time you spend exercising would inevitably result in people hurting themselves by trying to top the leaderboards through overexertion, and having leaderboards based on personal goals would lead to people setting overly easy personal goals just to top the leaderboards.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, the simple dance routine I did went a long way to show just how unresponsive the OG Wii Remote with WM+ addon is compared to a Wii Remote+. I might have to see about getting another Wii Remote+ now.

This is why I never joined a gym.

I didn't want to get TOO ripped.

Eric C

I really like that this is a digital version, always accessible on my Wii U, and I can boot it up with just the GamePad (no TV necessary) and quickly weigh myself whenever.

Exile20

So now that we have private communities. Anyone wants to guess what the next game will be to have it?

Mario Kart 8 is going to be so good with communities. I hope you can set up tournament, leaderboards, etc. That is when the competitive aspect will come into play.

BTW the "Drunken Waiter" game is the best.

Exile20

Calories burned leaderboards would be great, but people would find a way to cheat.

That is the opposite of what Nintendo wants. They do not want it to be a competition. So that is why they only show your achievements so you can cheer on the person.

Chairhome

So I found a meter late tonight at a toys r us.for some reason the system has it street dated for December. The manager was awesome and charged me the correct amount on some random SKU so I could buy it after he saw it was available on their site.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Not sure if people noticed and in case people were going to look around B&M, from the NA page:

Gonna check Freddy's tomorrow.

Damn, shoulda known it was going to be sold in stores. Now I'm here working like a sucker and not tracking those precious steps (forget the 3DS!).

BooJoh

Calories burned leaderboards would be great, but people would find a way to cheat.

That is the opposite of what Nintendo wants. They do not want it to be a competition. So that is why they only show your achievements so you can cheer on the person.

Exactly. Everyone has their own personal fitness needs, and someone would end up injuring or killing themselves trying to top the leaderboards. For example, I'm about 20 pounds underweight because of a medical condition that lowers my appetite and causes malabsorption. If I was burning more calories than people trying to lose weight, it would be detrimental to my health.

Exactly. Everyone has their own personal fitness needs, and someone would end up injuring or killing themselves trying to top the leaderboards. For example, I'm about 20 pounds underweight because of a medical condition that lowers my appetite and causes malabsorption. If I was burning more calories than people trying to lose weight, it would be detrimental to my health.

You guys are right, wrong idea. It was a quick idea given my situation (overweight).

Codeblue

Are Fit Meters not in stores yet or are they just selling out? Went to a couple of different retailers before giving up and ordering on Amazon.

Edit: just saw that image. Wish I had known that a couple of days ago.

Exile20

Are Fit Meters not in stores yet or are they just selling out? Went to a couple of different retailers before giving up and ordering on Amazon.

Apparently only Toys R us has it in store and Gamestop has it in store if you preorder.

I went to my TRU today and they didn't have it and no clue when so I just ordered on amazon.

That is a weird selection of stores.

gotee12

Ooohhh...

Talking balance board just told me that not only do you sync your meter with Wii fit u, but that you can also sync them with other meters. It said you can compare data with the other user and to expect a "surprise". Now for the inevitable multi year wait until I find someone else with one of these things...

maxcriden

hahahaha i did that activity too. my wife was laughing at me.

Mine too! I wasn't too bad at it. Hip hop, on the other hand, apparently I need some real work on. Also tried the dessert one, which was awesome although I had some problems getting my Mii to walk around--not sure if my balance board needs new batteries. Scuba diving was fun as well.

Chojin

Okay I joined the NA Community. Please be gentle! I want to lose about 1.7 pounds a every two weeks for six months. Please encourage me!

Sadly my local gamestop didn't have any fit meters available. They said they had to order them for me which was weird. What local stores have you guys found it because I want to buy one asap.

What kind of clip does the fit meter have? I wear a tool belt throughout most of my day (on and off constantly) and I need to know the best place to wear the meter. Could I just put it loose in a cargo pocket or does it have to be oriented a certain way? I'm not sure how it detects "steps" and I don't want to skew the results.

Got the last used balance board at my EB Games (BC Canada) and they also had 3 Fit Meters available.

*humble brag* I also have perfect BMI.*/humble brag*

gotee12

What kind of clip does the fit meter have? I wear a tool belt throughout most of my day (on and off constantly) and I need to know the best place to wear the meter. Could I just put it loose in a cargo pocket or does it have to be oriented a certain way? I'm not sure how it detects "steps" and I don't want to skew the results.
The clip is about 1" wide by 1.75" long. It's sturdy plastic so hopefully it will last a while before it breaks or losses it's spring. If I hold it in my hand and walk, it won't register any steps (which is good, imo). When I clip it on my belt, it registers everything properly. My guess is that a loose cargo pocket probably won't get an accurate reading.

Some of the games seem co mpletely useless, like the drunk waiter and the one where you walk around town tagging people from pictures.

NewGame

Banned
Thanks, where is that?

Once you finish your daily examination and get to the training there are a bunch of panels you can choose from. One of them is the 'community gym' panel which is an orange colour. From there you can choose a gym or enter a code for one, once you join you will be offered the option to post results, do not enable them.

If you're already in a gym I couldn't find a way to disable the updates, I had to leave the gym and rejoin to disable them.

Kunan

Havin a hard time registering the arm cross in pop n lock. Might be the way I held the wiimotes when I pressed the A button though? I did Flamenco after with 0 issues, and raised my hands when I pressed A.

Nevertheless, this game is awesome! The dance games are worth the price alone haha. Just joined the NA community :D

Redberyl

Neo Member
Much more variety on this one than the old version, would love to see them add more activities over time.

Also the Beginner Dance trainer was hating my moves, but Locking trainer couldn't get enough.

Exile20

Much more variety on this one than the old version, would love to see them add more activities over time.

Also the Beginner Dance trainer was hating my moves, but Locking trainer couldn't get enough.

Locking and popping double time was killing me.

iiicon

Do the games all require the TV? Not enough room in my bedroom to play.
I haven't gone though every activity, but the ones I have played had off-TV support. You might have difficulty doing some activities on the gamepad, though - I couldn't recognize which side of my body the ball was on during the squash game, for example.

Gabe3208

Banned
This is kind of stupid to complain about, but does anyone know how to get the Wii Fit U name on the home screen to change its name from:

Wii Fit U (Free)

To just:

Wii Fit U

My OCD is killing me seeing the name stay like that after I synced my Fit Meter.

Just joined the GAF N. America community.

My NNID: humbleseagoat

Add me, folks. Hope all of us are able to improve ourselves through the upcoming winter.

Let's do this!

Top Bottom