• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

Glass Joe

Just a warning, if you join a 'gym' community then for the love of Iwata disable the 'auto post notification' option. It will flood your entire Miiverse feed with

- Such and such just did a set of Jackknifes!
- Such and such just played Hula Hoop!
- Such and such just played Steps Plus!

It's like a typical ADHD house wives Facebook updates. It's really terrible and isn't disabled even if you disallow Miiverse feed messages from games from the Miiverse itself.

Could you explain how to do this? I'm sorry to be dense, I looked thru the electronic manual and everything!

It seems that if you join a gym, it will auto post regardless? There's an option to turn the Gym Community function off, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of joining in the first place? I'd really not flood the activity feed with "Glass Joe just played Hula Hoop!" 12 times a day but I do want to take advantage of the community.

NewGame

Banned
Could you explain how to do this? I'm sorry to be dense, I looked thru the electronic manual and everything!

It seems that if you join a gym, it will auto post regardless? There's an option to turn the Gym Community function off, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of joining in the first place? I'd really not flood the activity feed with "Glass Joe just played Hula Hoop!" 12 times a day but I do want to take advantage of the community.

The electronic manual? How could you go wrong?!

I gave a sort of step by step thingo about it here. Basically you have to leave and rejoin the gym to change the setting.

Basically the gym is useless (from what I've seen in the public gyms). I have no idea if the private gyms function any better.

Phanservice

Neo Member
anyone know if there is a mode for doing pushups continuously? All i see is the pushup and planks option but it's too short. I remember the previous edition having this. Also is there a way to use the board to weigh yourself without going through the whole body test? there was an option to do this in the previous game as well. Hopefully its something you unlock later cause it would be silly to remove these from the new edition.

Kolma

anyone know if there is a mode for doing pushups continuously? All i see is the pushup and planks option but it's too short. I remember the previous edition having this. Also is there a way to use the board to weigh yourself without going through the whole body test? there was an option to do this in the previous game as well. Hopefully its something you unlock later cause it would be silly to remove these from the new edition.

Have you tried clicking on Guest from the Wii Fit Plaza?

Kolma

Why is this allowed...
used Guest account
iye4J3Pp0GMOu.bmp

ib2J04yMc7x0Oe.bmp

NewGame

Banned
anyone know if there is a mode for doing pushups continuously?

I am not entirely sure, but in WiiFit+ you unlocked it after completing all the difficulty mode for the exercises. You can put the difficulty up by pressing + on the remote before you start the exercise.

If I recall correctly there was also one where you had to 'fight' the trainer in a battle of 'who can do the most push ups'.

I never made it to 50+ so I wouldn't know.

BooJoh

Also is there a way to use the board to weigh yourself without going through the whole body test? there was an option to do this in the previous game as well. Hopefully its something you unlock later cause it would be silly to remove these from the new edition.
I'm fairly certain I read either in the game or the electronic manual that you will unlock a Simple Test.

Phanservice

Neo Member
I am not entirely sure, but in WiiFit+ you unlocked it after completing all the difficulty mode for the exercises. You can put the difficulty up by pressing + on the remote before you start the exercise.

If I recall correctly there was also one where you had to 'fight' the trainer in a battle of 'who can do the most push ups'.

I never made it to 50+ so I wouldn't know.

ah i c thanks. Yea its been forever since i played wii fit plus so i dont remember either ahha. time flies so fast and I am so out of shape now that im playing wii fit u! Simple yoga poses now makes my body shake. god, growing up sucks! (if you dont exercise that is ;D)

Darryl

Banned
Oh please, this game isn't just about fun, I just don't see how these few games benefit our health, thats all!

the drunk waiter one looks like it is supposed to improve your.. ability to balance things while moving. lol. some of the games are more obviously meant for fun than others. the greatest impact a game like this is gonna have on someones health is the stuff you don't get off of the game, like just raising awareness and bringing it to the center of your attention. you can get results on games that do absolutely nothing at all if they can convince you to change your bad habits on the rest of the day, week, or months. so even if some kids just pick up the game to play the fun ones with their friends, it'll probably end up doing good.

Glass Joe

The electronic manual? How could you go wrong?!

I gave a sort of step by step thingo about it here. Basically you have to leave and rejoin the gym to change the setting.

Basically the gym is useless (from what I've seen in the public gyms). I have no idea if the private gyms function any better.

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't seem to work that way. I deleted my gyms and rejoined as you suggested. But if I opt-out of posting on Miiverse before finding a gym, I can't proceed. To search for a gym I have to select "yes." Then after I type in a gym, all it gives me is the option to make an introductory greeting post to that community. So, whatever. *shrugs*

Now that users are populating on the GAF gym though, it's sorta cool. Although there's no specific leaderboards, you can click an individual user and compare scores and things like that.

*sigh*

Just have this bad feeling Nintendo jumped the shark a long time ago with this series. I don't see the same craze of people picking this up like the original.

But than again, I never thought Wii Fit would've been successful on the Wii in the west.

I hope I'm wrong for Nintendo's sake and success.

sakipon

*sigh*

Just have this bad feeling Nintendo jumped the shark a long time ago with this series. I don't see the same craze of people picking this up like the original.

But than again, I never thought Wii Fit would've been successful on the Wii in the west.

Does there need to be the same level of popularity? Tons of games get sequels all the time, including mediocre titles with small fanbases. But if Nintendo releases an updated version, it needs to be a mainstream trend shattering the world?

Does there need to be the same level of popularity? Tons of games get sequels all the time, including mediocre titles with small fanbases. But if Nintendo releases an updated version, it needs to be a mainstream trend shattering the world?

What they need now is something to get out of the 300k for one quarter sales slump.

Wii fit, wii party, sonic and mario and mario 3 d world are their best bet

Ugh. Let's not turn this in to a Wii U sales are crap discussion. Can't we just enjoy the game without harping on that issue?

Anyway.
I played for about a bit earlier and I'm liking it so far. I've always been inclined to take a yoga class, but never really had the will to actually do it, so this is a god send. Once I get in to the swing of things, I'm going to construct custom routines for morning, after work and before bed.

Going to buy the Fit Meter during the week, too.

dock

You're right that people aren't going crazy for it, but that is largely to do with the fact that this is not 'new'. Significantly, people just aren't aware of the Wii U. Wii Fit fitted perfectly into the image of the Wii and wasn't confusing, but the new game requires a big set of peripherals and had none of the simple accessibility of the original.

This is why the Kinect, despite being garbage, was such an easy sell. Everything about the Wii U is complicated and hard to communicate.

My girlfriend yesterday asked me 'what is the U?', because she thought it was a Wii accessory called 'U'. She had never seen it.

Darryl

Banned
Ugh. Let's not turn this in to a Wii U sales are crap discussion. Can't we just enjoy the game without harping on that issue?

Anyway.
I played for about a bit earlier and I'm liking it so far. I've always been inclined to take a yoga class, but never really had the will to actually do it, so this is a god send. Once I get in to the swing of things, I'm going to construct custom routines for morning, after work and before bed.

Going to buy the Fit Meter during the week, too.

if you like the wii fit yoga you should try to take a yoga class eventually, too, because they're pretty fun. i'd go routinely if i had the money for it.

Richie

Wii Fit Meter at #19 on Amazon's Top 100 in Videogames as of this writing!
It's a shame downloads don't appear on the NPD, it could be very interesting ...

NewGame

Banned
I am loving the routine builder.

My only gripe is that you have to push A at least twice to start the next exercise. I wish it just went ahead without my input.

Also I am finding the yoga poses hard, just goes to show you what happens when you stop them for a few years. I remember my average scores were 95+ and I was complaining they're not difficult enough!

Curious to see how much help Wii Fit will be in helping gain a bit of weight. I'm extremely thin and I want to bulk up a little bit.

And I've joined the GAF community. Should be some fun
Wii Fit in itself will not do that, you will have to change your diet at the same time. If you have serious problems gaining weight you can try a protein shake with 100ml of good oil such as grape seed oil (~900 kcal) added to it. Better be sure to work out enough, otherwise you will gain a lot of fat.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is there any advertising for this game in the press or on TV? Former titles used to be promoted a lot.

BooJoh

the new game requires a big set of peripherals and had none of the simple accessibility of the original.
I could see this being an issue. To make full use of this game you pretty much need a Balance Board, Fit Meter, and Wii Remote+x2.

dock

xguZqwd.jpg

Wii Fit uses a fixed shape for others in the Gym Community, so you feel like the only fatty! Just like real gyms! ;)

dock

I could see this being an issue. To make full use of this game you pretty much need a Balance Board, Fit Meter, and Wii Remote+x2.
...and a Nunchuk for boxing. They should have supported two Wiimotes as an alternative.

What's the yoga like? My wife is pregnant - suitable?

First, congratulations!

Second.
Some might be alright for her, but I think it may be uncomfortable if she's further along. prenatal yoga would be much more suitable, but unfortunately, it's not available in this game. Honestly, I feel that the balance games may be better for some light activities. I have 2 people in my life that are 7 months pregnant and their movement is a bit restricted.

EDIT: Apparently, I can't spell or make sense at 2 something in the morning.

Spades

First, congratulations!

Second.
Some might be alright for her, but I think it may be uncomfortable if she's further along. prenatal yoga would be some more suitable, and unfortunately, it's not available in this game. Honestly, I feel that the balance games may be better for some light activities. I have 2 people in my life that are 7 months pregnant and there movement is a bit restricted.

Awesome, thanks!

plufim

Arg, been playing a fair bit today, and after many years, it seems like my gen 1 balance board is on its death bed - the left heel area squeaks like crazy, and that is apparently a sign things are not going well.

Question: do you ever need the Sensor Bar? I played a couple of the dancing games, and they don't need it. I ask because I don't have one, and want to know if I need to buy one for this game.

D-e-f-

Banned
Some of the games seem co mpletely useless, like the drunk waiter and the one where you walk around town tagging people from pictures.

Stupid useless fun.

remember that his is also about balance challenges, not just "losing weight"

*sigh*

I don't think you know what "jumping the shark" means.

Exile20

Wii Fit Meter at #19 on Amazon's Top 100 in Videogames as of this writing!
It's a shame downloads don't appear on the NPD, it could be very interesting ...

Now it is at #18 an raising on amazon.com. So weird to see this little thing next to the big boys. lol.

#7 on amazon.ca
#53 in amazon.co.uk

All in just less than two days.

Is there any advertising for this game in the press or on TV? Former titles used to be promoted a lot.

I doubt there will be any advertising to the masses until the game is actually released next month; right now they are only targeting people who owned the previous games and bought a Wii U so still have their old peripherals, giving them a good "upgrade" deal.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I doubt there will be any advertising to the masses until the game is actually released next month; right now they are only targeting people who owned the previous games and bought a Wii U so still have their old peripherals, giving them a good "upgrade" deal.
You're right.

Novak

From fitness perspective how is wii fit u compared to Nike kinect training ? Does it have real fitness programs or just minigames?

I need something for rhe winter. Nike game is my current favorite but sometimes too much jumping which hurts my knees and neigbours ears :)
I am thinking about getting xb1 for the new fitness stuff they announced, but i dont like buying consoles at launch.

joedick

So have any Canadians figured out how to switch from kg to lbs? All my old save data is pounds, yet they switched me over. I've checked so many menus and I can't seem to find the option. I don't think I know anybody around here who weighs themselves in kgs.

Shafto

Did anyone else go for the Red Wii Fit Meter?

I swear mine was glorious red last night, and this morning, it's gone orange!

Anyone else notice this?

Chorazin

Finally got to try the yoga this morning....and it's pretty disappointing for what I wanted. I can't seem to find a continuous yoga exercise mode, where you can transition from one pose to the other like in real yoga. It always makes me reset to a basic pose, after pressing A a bunch. Is that a mode I'll unlock later?

I will say for the yoga stuff is REALLY GOOD for working on balance in poses, so I can always use it for that.

The mini games seem fun though, so I'm not regarding grabbing a board and meter at all. Plus, it's awful generous with my weight and BMI, it's the first test that ever said I'm in the normal range!

Some of the games seem co mpletely useless, like the drunk waiter and the one where you walk around town tagging people from pictures.

Some people struggle with memory or co-ordination issues. They're exercises for your brain mostly, rather than exercises for burning lots of fat. Wii Fit has always stressed the importance of good balance (hence the center of gravity test in every body test) - some people have it down without ever needing a hand, other people need practice or even daily exercises to help with balance.

Generally the Balance section is Wii Fit's fun area, provides light activity and something a bit more laid back from the other more focused exercises. Though each offer their own benefits

I've not seen an ad yet, but Wii Fit U is a bit of a unique case. The original Wii Fit, everyone was nuts for it because it was new, and the E3 announcement caused major buzz. Stores loved it because it was £60 RRP, so they got some reasonable profit out of it, people loved it because most of the things they needed were in the box and came with the Wii (sans maybe the nunchuck)

After the inital buzz, it went quiet again but Nintendo periodically runs ads to remind people Wii Fit is a thing still. They didn't do much of a push for Wii Fit Plus, but I guess they didn't really need to.

There's also the fact that Wii Fit is a weight loss/exercise program. When is fitness most on peoples minds? In January just after the food-rich Christmas and Thanksgiving season. Nintendo will push it hard for early 2014

From fitness perspective how is wii fit u compared to Nike kinect training ? Does it have real fitness programs or just minigames?

I need something for rhe winter. Nike game is my current favorite but sometimes too much jumping which hurts my knees and neigbours ears :)
I am thinking about getting xb1 for the new fitness stuff they announced, but i dont like buying consoles at launch.

There are yoga stretching exercises and muscle based exercises focused on stretching and toning certain areas, and the athletic activities generally focus on fat burning, they look like mini-games, but you can work up a fair bit of sweat trying to do things like boxing or jogging. Wii Fit comes with set routines, user routines and more randomised routines for people who want set programmes.

Wii Fit also requires virtually no jumping, not sure if dance has any, but generally Wii Fit shys away from jumping, because most activities use the balance board, and jumping on the balance board can damage it. For example: in the Ski Jump balance game, your simply asked to squat and distribute your weight for the best speed, then extend your legs for the "jump"

iphys

The weird thing was I thought the red meter was orange the first time I saw a picture of it. Then I read an article that claimed the red and green meters were supposed to correspond to Mario and Luigi, but the boxart just says red or green, so I don't know where they got that from. If it actually is orange, that's funny.

Top Bottom