• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

dkeane

Liking the new features and exercises/games. But it's super lame that they didn't update the island.
I did a run around it and the lighthouse looks like shit.

My meter arrives next week so that will be fun to mess around with. I'm guessing it won't count if I'm on a bike which is most of my exercise time.

kitsuneyo

The stats in the Euro GAF community are totally wrong... it says 100% male and nobody has done any aerobic stuff on mine. Kind of poor really. I hope it's a work in progress.

Kuntz

Tried golf for the first time, wow, got the right swing in 5 tries, all the next were in the hole zone,
i should not try real golf, I'll be disappointed...

Luge is great but I haven't found the best position yet, my abs didn't work but my tights did hurt...

iiicon

Are they really that tough to find in the U.S.? In Canada I've seen them so far at EB, Wal-Mart and Future Shop. And they each had tons of em.
They're carrying it at Future Shop? I checked their website last night and it wasn't on there, but maybe it's in-store only right now. I should call ahead and check. I'd go out but it is ugly today in Vancouver.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I don't know why, but I really find holding the gamepad difficult when i'm doing the Body Test. I wish they'd let you do it the old way with a wiimote. Maybe its just getting used to new tech.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Anybody know of a way to do routines together with someone (such as taking turns)? I know you can do multiplayer but that mode only has the balance games available. Last night we were able to switch Miis in the select exercise mode but it is a pretty big hassle to have to go back to the exercise menu just to switch, and we couldn't do a routine that way.

Other then that this will be great to play around with on the days I don't go to the gym. It also will be great to get my GF active (she loves it so far). I'm really hoping they support this one with DLC. There are a lot of exercises available but I could see them getting stale after a few months of exercising.

NeoRausch

The "one Fit Meter a person" was confirmed?

If two people in the same home want to use the Fit meter, need to buy two?

I don't see how this"one fit meter for two people"-thing would even make sense.

the fit meter is for long term measurements. how would this work with two people?

and two answer the question: nope, only one profile can be registered to a fit meter.

maxcriden

The Wii Fit U manual generally admits that BMI isn't a perfect measurement, and does say if you are a bodybuilder or a kid, then that muddles with results a bit. I'm not obese physically, but by BMI standards I am, and my Mii can't even quite fit into the wii fit shirt (this shows even on the standard Mii used for gym community, and I seem to be the only one so far sobu sobu), so rest assured, if you mii is looking kinda chubby, your not alone in that.

You probably know this by now, but just in case--all Miis other than your own, in the background of the community screen, all show as the same size. So only your own size can differ from the rest of the group. This doesn't mean everyone else is super fit. Just so you know! :)

You probably know this by now, but just in case--all Miis other than your own, in the background of the community screen, all show as the same size. So only your own size can differ from the rest of the group. This doesn't mean everyone else is super fit. Just so you know! :)

I am aware, though there was a shot of someone else in Eurogaf's screen earlier, my body was regular, but still had the "my shirt is too small" texture lol. Thankfully today's weigh in has adjusted me to a shirt that fits!

I just tried dance and I think I'm in love with this mode already. I love that there's a freestyle bonus that doesn't seem to be too picky about the flicks. Absolutely worth the extra I had to splash on another wii remote

Glass Joe

I don't see how this"one fit meter for two people"-thing would even make sense.

the fit meter is for long term measurements. how would this work with two people?

and two answer the question: nope, only one profile can be registered to a fit meter.

I think some people must be considering only wearing the meter when exercising (walking/running etc). I'm fine with the way it's set up because I plan on wearing it all the time but I do see why some would want the option.

NeoRausch

I think some people must be considering only wearing the meter when exercising (walking/running etc). I'm fine with the way it's set up because I plan on wearing it all the time but I do see why some would want the option.

yeah it's definitely an all day device. I mean it measures ANYTHING. even when you sit flat on your ass.
only using it when you you workout would defeat it's purpose 100%.

maxcriden

I am aware, though there was a shot of someone else in Eurogaf's screen earlier, my body was regular, but still had the "my shirt is too small" texture lol. Thankfully today's weigh in has adjusted me to a shirt that fits!

I just tried dance and I think I'm in love with this mode already. I love that there's a freestyle bonus that doesn't seem to be too picky about the flicks. Absolutely worth the extra I had to splash on another wii remote

Glad to hear it! And I am really digging dance mode as well. I've only tried hip hop and popping/locking so far but it's a lot of fun and you really can work up a sweat!

zlCfzRLMeuMbbR3oV1

What's a healthy number of calories to burn in one day? Don't think I'll be able to exceed 300 today...

Glass Joe

Im trying to join the neogaf community. What's the code?

Also, what are the best calorie burning excersises in there?

For the first, quote the original post. You'll see an embed at the top with "email" in block parenthesis. One is clearly stated as US, the other for Europe, so keep that in mind when trying to join.

For the second, I dunno yet, but the dance ones seem to be more intense than the others so far. I'm sure you'll find some appropriate ones.

Thinking about giving this a try. Is it safe to get a used balance board, or are they type of thing that will probably be messed up if I purchase one used?

J.W.Crazy

zlCfzRLMeuMbbR3oV1

What's a healthy number of calories to burn in one day? Don't think I'll be able to exceed 300 today...

Hey, that's me with the red shirt. It's weird to see my Mii out in the wild like that. Similarly I've noticed my own Mii showing up in game which I don't remember from Plus. It's cool to see all the other Miis registered on your console show up in games but seeing another copy of your own kind of defeats the purpose.

I tried Bestbuy, Gamestop, Target, and Toys R Us but had no luck finding a Fit Meter. I'll just have to order online I guess.

Darryl

Banned
Hey, that's me with the red shirt. It's weird to see my Mii out in the wild like that. Similarly I've noticed my own Mii showing up in game which I don't remember from Plus. It's cool to see all the other Miis registered on your console show up in games but seeing another copy of your own kind of defeats the purpose.

I tried Bestbuy, Gamestop, Target, and Toys R Us but had no luck finding a Fit Meter. I'll just have to order online I guess.

In one of the games I played, my Mii was in it 5 times. The chef, server (that i was playing as), consumer (twice), and employee at the counter in the drunk waiter minigame. It was pretty weird feeling. Don't know why they left that in.

NeoRausch

Thinking about giving this a try. Is it safe to get a used balance board, or are they type of thing that will probably be messed up if I purchase one used?

nah, the board is super sturdy as long as it wasn't used by an oversized gorilla on steroids.

edit:

but clean it like nothing before!

zlCfzRLMeuMbbR3oV1

It's really up to you, I would say beware of working out *too* much right away. You could strain your muscles from too much exercise, also the body has a defence mechanism built in - if you lose too much weight in one go, your body will believe that times are lean, and store more fat than it would usually do. You'll get a short term massive gain, but then find you lose a lot less for the long term as a result. It'll also make you more hungry, and therefore likely to eat more and undo all your hard work.

I tend to have a very casual approach to my weight loss scheme, I do about half-hour to an hour of Wii Fit depending on how I feel, with a few warm up exercises, and a few fat burning ones. Usually 2 Yoga -> 2 muscle -> 1 high fat burn -> 1 balance game/a game I like for cool down.

I try to complement that with a few walks in the week. Over summer I had a gym membership, so I also fit in swimming and working out, but the membership was a short 6 weeks, losing it threw me out of routine for a bit. But before that I had a pretty regular downward trend on my graph. Slow and steady wins the race as they say : )

Of course, what works for me might not work for you. But that's just suggestions based on my own experience.

So I have a question:

Wii Fit U is clearly designed around the goal of losing weight, forcing you to set target weight goals and such.

I don't need to lose weight. According to Wii Fit U's own measurements, I'm actually underweight if anything.

I DO need to exercise more though. Aside from walking between classes, I get pretty much no physical activity at all.

Are there any programs for this in Wii Fit U? I looked around and didn't see anything. If not, does anyone have an idea of how much I should be aiming to do each day?

So I have a question:

Wii Fit U is clearly designed around the goal of losing weight, forcing you to set target weight goals and such.

I don't need to lose weight. According to Wii Fit U's own measurements, I'm actually underweight if anything.

I DO need to exercise more though. Aside from walking between classes, I get pretty much no physical activity at all.

Are there any programs for this in Wii Fit U? I looked around and didn't see anything. If not, does anyone have an idea of how much I should be aiming to do each day?

You can set daily goals for a weight increase if you want! it won't stop you from making a goal for something like +5lbs in 2 weeks.

In terms of sport that won't burn pounds, you have the yoga and muscle exercises that focus on toning your muscles and improving your balance and figure. The Balance games for the most part are more about physical fun, rather than making you work hard. The only one category you might want to avoid is the athletic exercises. Though if you want something that pushes you a little without knocking too much off, the Step games and Rhythm Boxing are pretty good go-to's

My best suggestion would be to look at the "Wii Fit U Routines" panel in the training section, they have mini routines for many things other than just weight loss. The "Vitality" section might be of most interest to you - it includes routines for circulation if your sitting down a lot, The "lifestyle" section has routines for relaxing physical exercises and warm ups. That can help you identify the kind of work outs that'll be best for you, then you can make your own routine.

NewGame

Banned
Uh oh. I think my balance board is dying!

This morning I was in the middle of the waiter game and suddenly I stopped moving in the game. The balance board still had a blue light and the WiiU still recognized it but it no longer responded to anything.

I power cycled it by removing the batteries and that seems to have fixed it, but then later on the same issue came up when I was doing the dance games!

I hope this is something easily fixed because balance boards are quite expensive around here.

Glass Joe

So I have a question:

It's an activity device, so by nature it's intended to help people lose weight. But keep in mind that underweight people who aren't active can actually have more health problems than an active fatty. So you can still track that.

If you're underweight, it sounds like you probably want to look into eating more protein than normal and enjoying the exercises included here as muscle builders instead of fat shedders. But yeah, in a way you may not be the target demographic since you have the opposite problem than most.

BooJoh

So I have a question:

I'm underweight as well, but have been rather sedentary. So far I'm going with the Vitality routine which specifically says it's for people who want to become more active. You can also set a goal to gain weight. While most of the weight gain will rely on diet, adding in some exercise should help to put on muscle instead of just fat. Check the different routines and what they're for, and you should be able to come up with some stuff that will help you. I think Wii Fit can help underweight people, you just have to make sure you use it properly and don't overdo it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wii Fit U Meter arrived from amazon (wow took barely a day), and got a $17.99 used Wii Balance Board at gamestop! The one I selected looks to be in perfect condition, so far works great in the game too.

My gamestop manager told me they were happy to sell it cause they have trouble moving them. Not surprising really.

I notice the game still says "Wii Fit U (Free)" on the home menu. I'm anal about that kind of thing but I guess it is hard to argue with free :p

Cherubae

Liking the new features and exercises/games. But it's super lame that they didn't update the island.

Well, currently in Wii Fit U the island looks fall-ish, with yellow grass and trees, so that's kind of an update :D The island looks green and summery when I used Wii Fit + the other day.

Playing the boxing game with two Wii+ remotes is so much better than the remote + 'chuck. No cord getting in the way is awesome.

NeoRausch

Wii Fit U Meter arrived from amazon (wow took barely a day), and got a $17.99 used Wii Balance Board at gamestop! The one I selected looks to be in perfect condition, so far works great in the game too.

My gamestop manager told me they were happy to sell it cause they have trouble moving them. Not surprising really.

I notice the game still says "Wii Fit U (Free)" on the home menu. I'm anal about that kind of thing but I guess it is hard to argue with free :p

Europe edition says "Promo"

my feels are.... promotional!

edit:
Playing the boxing game with two Wii+ remotes is so much better than the remote + 'chuck. No cord getting in the way is awesome.

just played kung fu with 2 notes. waaaaaay better and really responsive

strange that three mode is so hidden away for people who don't know about it.

CrisKre

I love that this is pre-installed and also that I can play off tv. Makes al the difference in the world.
This game needed the fit meter too.

I will use this much more regularly because of those additions.

BooJoh

Oh man, the Ultimate Balance Test is hard. The first two rounds are easy enough, but I couldn't get past 1 second holding the third position.

gotee12

Well, currently in Wii Fit U the island looks fall-ish, with yellow grass and trees, so that's kind of an update :D The island looks green and summery when I used Wii Fit + the other day.
Hmm, I'm in the US so fall is the current season which corresponds to the season on the island. Anyone in the southern hemisphere seeing a "spring like" setting on the island? That would be pretty cool if the seasons ingame changed with regard to the consoles corresponding region. I'd test with moving my console date up to mid-winter if I wasn't afraid of screwing up my Wii fit u data...

Layth

I couldn't find the Wii Fit Meter in stores, so I ordered one online. Though I have this fear in the back of my head that I'll receive it only after the trial is over.

Lexxism

I couldn't find the Wii Fit Meter in stores, so I ordered one online. Though I have this fear in the back of my head that I'll receive it only after the trial is over.

There's no way that you will get your order by Jan 31st of 2014.

Ways to Play
- If you own a Balance Board, download the game between Nov 1st 2013 and Jan 31st 2014 and then unlock it forever with the purchase of a Fit Meter.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I thought of this OT's title when today's Body Test gave me the "inflate the balloon by breathing heavily into the Wii U microphone" test :p

Is there a list of all the different body tests somewhere?

BooJoh

ibf45hfEaiBywk.jpg

Weird that the gym stats seem off for me. A lot less people too, but maybe that's just who's actually on (plus the creator.)

EDIT: I restarted the game and it corrected it. I think maybe it had trouble connecting when I first started it up.
I thought of this OT's title when today's Body Test gave me the "inflate the balloon by breathing heavily into the Wii U microphone" test :p

Is there a list of all the different body tests somewhere?
On the training/gym screen, unlock the gamepad view then look left and tap the balance board. You can see all the tests you've done before and redo them, plus try the Ultimate Balance test.

Oidisco

Edit: Nevermind It's not possible for me to join the American Community.

Also, finished the Advance version if Ultimate Obstacle Course in a single try! I am the best!

Lexxism

If I buy the Fit Meter, will it stop saying FREE version?

Yup. It's in the OP

Ways to Play
- If you own a Balance Board, download the game between Nov 1st 2013 and Jan 31st 2014 and then unlock it forever with the purchase of a Fit Meter.

But if you were talking about the icon name in the home then the answer is no. It will stay Wii Fit U (Free) even if you unlock it with Wii Fit Meter.

Top Bottom