• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

GulAtiCa

I've been enjoying the dancing stuff. I am horrible at the hip hop dance though. Could barely keep up when it was speed up. I looked like a fool! haha. But was a good workout.

Glass Joe

When I started my meter on my second floor apartment, my altitude was *exactly* zero. So I'm assuming that it simply uses the original starting point as a reference, and any altitude changes are just in relation to that.

As for temperature, I think the meter is detecting my actual body temperature since it's so close physically and throwing the figures off. Probably yours too!

Kolgar

Man, the fit meter is impossible to find in-store or online :(

Yeah, Amazon is still out. My local Target and Toys R Us had no idea what I was talking about. Best Buy has none available at any stores in my hemisphere, Newegg is out, and so today I finally ordered from Frys.com. They have 'em, and they're only charging MSRP. Good luck!

Will I get a good sense of this game without having the balance board? I'd consider picking a board up, but I don't want to invest in something that doesn't offer an interesting/decent workout. I'm downloading the trial right now to check it out, but if I won't be able to use any of it, I fear I won't get a sense for it.

kunonabi

Will I get a good sense of this game without having the balance board? I'd consider picking a board up, but I don't want to invest in something that doesn't offer an interesting/decent workout. I'm downloading the trial right now to check it out, but if I won't be able to use any of it, I fear I won't get a sense for it.

there are good amount of games that just use the wiimote and some yoga/strength exercises that don't use the board as well.

Septimius

With the amount of fun you can have with a Wii Fit Board, I think it's well worth the investment. If you're already contemplating using Wii Fit U and the likes to assist your work-out activities, I really can't see how you can go wrong with a board. The best stuff is board related, and as a bonus, you can use the board on Go Vacation, and get even more fun activities out of the thing.

maxcriden

Man, the advanced wall climb is pretty intense for a balance game. Not luge intense, but more than I expected. Lots of fun too.

kitsuneyo

You need the board to get started.

You need the board to get started.

Ah, shoot. Seriously? I can't even look at what activities are available? As I said, I just want to get a sense for it before making the investment.

Edit: Ha, yeah, just started the trail version.

Wii Fit U: "Do you have a balance board?"
Me: "No"
Wii Fit U: "Returning you to the Wii U menu!"

So new question then, is this worth me making a $40 investment? For those who have some serious experience, will I break a sweat using this? I've tried using Kinect fitness software before and found the whole system awful and boring.

DSFan1970

Can you keep the Fit Meter in your pocket? I am afraid of losing it, also I have no wii remotes with motion plus. Will this still work with the old Wii remotes? Thanks all.

Sendou

Can you keep the Fit Meter in your pocket? I am afraid of losing it, also I have no wii remotes with motion plus. Will this still work with the old Wii remotes? Thanks all.

Some games won't work without a Wiimote Plus. Arguably some of the more entertaining ones. Some (actually more than the ones that need just one) even need two but I haven't tried that yet.

Okay so a new question:

Today I bought a fit meter so that I'd be able to stop the Wii Fit trial from expiring. I have no intention of actually using the meter. I already use my 3DS to track my steps, and clipping an extra thing onto my clothes in the morning is an (admittedly small) hassle I just really don't want to deal with.

The problem is that now every time I start Wii Fit, it asks me to sync my Fit Meter, which I obviously don't want to do. I can press the "sync later" button, but it continues to ask me every time, and it's annoying.

If I delete the fit meter from my profile, and then restart the game, it starts giving me the message again that "Your Trial Will Expire in XXX Days!" This message goes away when I re-register the fit meter. Clearly, it wants me to hold onto the meter.

Is there any way of solving this? Seems super stupid. :/

Lexxism

So new question then, is this worth me making a $40 investment? For those who have some serious experience, will I break a sweat using this? I've tried using Kinect fitness software before and found the whole system awful and boring.

It's my first time playing Wii Fit. I bought the Fit meter and the balance board last Friday. I'm gonna say that I didn't regret buying those. I'm sweating a lot when I'm doing the basic run(Island Lap). I think I got like 70 calories burned on that run. There's a lot of activities that will really make you sweat.

RaidenZR

Not that I've seen in any of the settings. They want you to buy and use the Fit Meter, bottom line.

And honestly, of all the repetitive prompts in the game that I would say are bothersome, that Fit Meter one when starting up is at the absolute bottom of my list.

boxter432

found 2 toys r us's nearby that have the meter...claimed one for store pick up...went in again and the item is now unavailable...got the last (or only) 1 I guess! off to pick it up shortly.

I saw this thread this morning and bought a Wii Balance Board on my lunch break ($20 in MINT condition).

I was hardcore on a program last year and lost forty pounds, gained about eighteen back since summer due to stress/anxiety from getting married and buying a house. So this will be a nice way to ease back into fitness since I don't have access to a gym now.

I gotta find one of those meters now!

weevles

Yeah you need the balance board.

I got the meter yesterday and have been using it today. I keep forgetting to make sure it is not out of sleep mode since I have a desk job.

I'm planning to take it to the gym with me tomorrow and curious to see how that goes...

Eric C

Okay so a new question:

Today I bought a fit meter so that I'd be able to stop the Wii Fit trial from expiring. I have no intention of actually using the meter. I already use my 3DS to track my steps, and clipping an extra thing onto my clothes in the morning is an (admittedly small) hassle I just really don't want to deal with.

The problem is that now every time I start Wii Fit, it asks me to sync my Fit Meter, which I obviously don't want to do. I can press the "sync later" button, but it continues to ask me every time, and it's annoying.

If I delete the fit meter from my profile, and then restart the game, it starts giving me the message again that "Your Trial Will Expire in XXX Days!" This message goes away when I re-register the fit meter. Clearly, it wants me to hold onto the meter.

Un-sync Fit Meter, make a second profile, sync Meter to new profile, continue to use original profile. That should work.

Doesn't even have to be a person's profile

You could create a profile for your dog and sync the Fit Meter to your dogs profile. It removes the 31 day limit even when synced to a dog's profile, and not your own. That's what I just did the other day to see how the Fit Meter works for dogs.

Or if you don't have a dog create a fake dog's profile, and sync the Fit Meter to the fake dog's profile.

javac

I cancelled my pre-order initially but my Mum wants it now. I originally pre-ordered the white and red meter because I was in a Pokemon mood but at first I was going to get the white and green but the black looks nice and I'm leaning towards it lol. It's not a big deal, its pretty frivolous but whats your favorite color meter?

I have trouble landing on the right spot.

any help?

_Pay attention to your position on your next rebound, and commpensate accordingly on the next fall: if you, for example, land too much on the right of the trampoline, start lo lean to the left when you start to fall back down.

_It seems that the balance "aim" doesn't affect your dirrection when jumping, only when falling.

_Use your Mii's head as an aim (since your avatar is transparent during fall).

I scored 780m today...only 3 stars: how high can one get in this game? Loving it! :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just tried the golf stuff, it got pretty easy pretty quickly - I'm guessing because weight shift was one of the main things I worked on several years ago when I was learning how to hit golf balls in real life. ;P

Chorazin

Damn, the dance games proved without a shadow of a doubt that I have zero rhythm. :-(

Got my Fit Meter, man it's huge compared to my FitBit!

Cfh123

In my basic run tonight I followed a cat. Up a roof and then onto the dock. Fitting.

I wonder where the dog will go.

My Fit Meter arrived at Best Buy with the store pick-up option. I'd recommend that if it's possible, it came a whole week earlier than they listed.

When I started my meter on my second floor apartment, my altitude was *exactly* zero. So I'm assuming that it simply uses the original starting point as a reference, and any altitude changes are just in relation to that.

you can hold both direction buttons together to reset altitude to 0

a lot of the questions up in here are answered in the digital manual (press home button while in game)

NeoRausch

just got my Fit Meter the box is so tiny :(

I am going to lose this thing I just know it

no balance board yet so I cannot use this at all right?

for people afraid of loosing the meter:

there is a little hole on the bottom where you can attach a little handwrist thingy. so you can loop it to your belt/"belthole" (whatever those thing on the trouser are called)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game has tons of content. It's really different than Your Shape from Ubisoft, which was also excellent.

What WiiFit U excels at is to making fitness, it's easily the best software on the market in that regard.

As I expected, the ability to rapidly weight myself - just grabbing the GamePad - makes my balance board worthwhile again.

I ordered my FitMeter at amazon, as I couldn't find it anywhere at my usual stores in Paris :-/ The fact this FitMeter can collect one week of data before each synchronization with the Gamepad achieved to convince me to get it. It's convenient and I will bring it with me daily.

The whole experience is richer and refined, I'm impressed by what WiiFit has become. I just wished Nintendo had included a more convenient way to check leaderboards within private communities. Special dedicace to my fellow european GAF Miiverse companions, you are in my game and that's cool. Any of you is from France?

Kuntz

Special dedicace to my fellow european GAF Miiverse companions, you are in my game and that's cool. Any of you is from France?

Yup, Kouriozan and I from what I know.

Also Fit Meter GET ! Will activate after work and then, and then, I'll climb the hell out of Mt. Everest

Another thing (WEIRD) : for some reason when I Hula Hoop my jaw becomes sentient and wants to hula hoop the same way my hips do, this really creeps me out and I have to fight against it for the whole duration. Maybe my hips/jaw brain areas are very close...
Please tell me I'm not the only one (I bet I am).

Lach

I have a quick question about the Fit Meter. I got it yesterday.

I noticed that it registers the elevation change when I used the elevator at work. Does it record this as climbing or only (as I hope) when I use the stairs?

Kouriozan

I really like the Fit Meter, even if the altimeter thing act kinda weird. One day my house is at -12m, the other day it is at -50m 0_o

If you jog fast enough you'll see it.
I didn't know that, gotta try it tonight :)

Special dedicace to my fellow european GAF Miiverse companions, you are in my game and that's cool. Any of you is from France?

Yup, as Kuntz said, there is both of us at least.

Tom_Cody

To offer a preview, my commute is 8.82 miles and 510 calories according to my bike GPS tracker and the Wii Fit tracker is displaying ~3,700 steps and 225 calories.

So, yeah, not totally accurate but it still picks it up. I'm still interested to see what the graph is going to look like though. I might also get better results if I put the tracker on my thigh/pocket instead of my waist so it better picks up my pedaling motion.
Quick update from yesterday. I tried doing my bike commute with the tracker on the outside of my pants pocket and it went from 3,700 down to 3,300. So, yeah, I haven't figured out a solution to figuring out how to track biking data.

I will definitely be interested to see what other people come up with though.

Also, to revisit the topic of elevation readings from yesterday, the data was a complete mess when I got home last night. I guess at the very least it is inconsistent.

Top Bottom