• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Karaoke U by Joysound |OT| I Wanna Dance With Shibata

Robin64

LnHYwKH.png

Developer: Joysound
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: December 8th 2012 (Japan), October 4th 2013 (Europe), ?? (US)
Formats: Wii U (eShop Download - 447MB)
Price: Free to download. Tickets to sing.

With the launch of the Wii U in Japan came a Karaoke service powered by Joysound. With thousands of songs and a session-based purchasing system, many wondered if it would ever come west. Well it has!

The service has over 1500 songs currently including Japanese songs, which I know some people were hoping would happen.

You can use the GamePad's built in microphone, but it's probably a bit more fun if you use a microphone. Any USB mic will work!

Tickets

Wii Karaoke U is free to download and comes with a free one hour ticket to get you into the groove. Also, you can browse the entire song selection without needing any tickets at all. When you're ready to drop some money, though, tickets come in three tiers.

1 Hour Ticket - 1.99€ / £1.79
24 Hour Ticket - 4.99€ / £4.49
30 Day Ticket - 14.99€ / £13.49

Also note that the new Premium Wii U packs (The Wind Waker HD one and the LEGO City Undercover one) come with a 7 days free ticket for this.

Screenshots

WiiU_WiiKaraokeU-enjoy-morefunthanever_image600w.png

7ZLo63Q.png

SQgncWy.png

hgKOirs.png

8R7GSzn.png

BJA3il6.png

L~A

Prices are : 1.99€ / 4.99€ / 14.99€. Will give you the UK price in a sec!

Edit : UK prices are 1.79£ / 4.49£ / 13.49£

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No critic to the OP, but we would need info on the songs. But I've seen that Nintendo still has to confirm them.

My GF's gonna love this.

Is it pure karaoke, or is there some kind of scoring system that can be turned on? My friends can get pretty competitive when Lips or Singstar are dusted off.

Rvaisse

Great app !
I tried it this morning and its very well made.
Tons of options.
I hope they will add more songs in other languages though.

Nintendo should push this app to WiiUs, same for goes forWiiSportsClub.

sakipon

No french song, or so it seems. I love the interface though.

Yeah, very bad selection of songs if one is looking for anything international. Shibata did mention they would add Japanese songs later on, perhaps they'll touch European stuff better aswell.

Robin64

My GF's gonna love this.

Is it pure karaoke, or is there some kind of scoring system that can be turned on? My friends can get pretty competitive when Lips or Singstar are dusted off.

The Japanese one had scores, so I hope this one does too.

zlCfzRJRvJYSGVvxzC

I know! ;p
But, is there a list somewhere? I wasn't able to find it...

The list is seen via the app. Hopefully Nintendo will put it online too!

Zero148

Song selection looked quite nice duribg my quick look earlyer. No german Songs though.

Me and my gf are going to sing this afternoon

L~A

By the way Robin64, you should also mention that the new Premium Packs (The Wind Waker HD, LEGO City Undercover) come with a 7-days trial instead of just 1h ticket for regular Wii U consoles.

And is the software finally available? It wasn't when I checked this morning, for some reason.

Btw: UK price in case you missed them in my previous edit (1.79£ / 4.49£ / 13.49£, that's what it says on Nintendo UK website at least).

Ohh...does that mean I can use my Rock Band PS3 mic? Or does that thing only work on PS3? I guess I have to try it later.
If it's a standard USB mic, it'll work. Well, it won't hurt to try, won't blow up your console anyway! :)

Robin64

By the way Robin64, you should also mention that the new Premium Packs (The Wind Waker HD, LEGO City Undercover) comes with a 7-day trial instead of just 1 for regular Wii U consoles.

And is the software finally available? It wasn't when I checked this morning, for some reason.

Btw: UK price in case you missed them in my previous edit (1.79£ / 4.49£ / 13.49£, that's what it says on Nintendo UK website at least).

Good point, I'll add that. And thanks for the pricing info!

Yeah, the software is up now. :)

Robin64

zlCfzRJRyLMkEqRDn7

Shows scoring, though doesn't compare to others. Wonder if it's just that nobody else has sung that yet...

L~A

Good point, I'll add that. And thanks for the pricing info!

Yeah, the software is up now. :)

Ok, just launched the download, downloading in sleep mode now. Man, I can't wait for the web version of the eShop! (Got some trouble connection to the internet for 5mn, no idea why... : /)

By they way, the software is 447Mo.

Dunno when I'll be able to try it out (want to do it with friends, it'll be more fun, and besides, I sing like crap).

CoolS

Just tried it. Unfortunately I have no USB Microphone so I used the WiiU pad.

I have to say it kind of sucked. No matter which options I chose, I had to put the pad right in front of my mouth, otherwise it barely registered my voice. A bit disappointing, especially since the microphone works so well with WiiU Chat.
Anyone else have this experience? Or is my microphone just somewhat broken?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Add Shibata singing Whitney Houston to OP please! :)

Robin64

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRJR3p8i9IGpJp

So far so good ;)

Where are the leaderboards for online ranking mode though? Can't find them.

Looks like you're the only one to do that song. I wonder if it only displays like the top 5 or something with no actual proper leaderboards.

Given there are so many songs, it might be fun if we all attempt a few of the same ones, too.

Looks like you're the only one to do that song. I wonder if it only displays like the top 5 or something with no actual proper leaderboards.

Given there are so many songs, it might be fun if we all attempt a few of the same ones, too.

Makes sense that I'm the first, but there must be some way to compare the scores. Didn't Shibata say something about Region/Country comparison?

Does wii speak work?

:lol

web01

Too expensive $7 AUD a day to play adds up fast would rather a disc release and the option to buy DLC I want.

Too expensive $7 AUD a day to play adds up fast would rather a disc and the option to buy DLC I want.

Well it has over 10000 songs in japan. The european service has way less but 1500 is still much more than you would usually buy in a game like rockband.

Top Bottom