• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Karaoke U by Joysound |OT| I Wanna Dance With Shibata

L~A

You can check out all the songs available from the software itself, even without buying a ticket. I don't think there's any list available online.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
North America???? This would be so freaking awesome to have. No more paying the Karaoke places exorbitant amounts of money to have to play by their rules. I know the licenses to the music are hard to deal with, but c'mon guys. Figure it out and get me this right now. I'll be renting every weekend.

Sendou

You can check out all the songs available from the software itself, even without buying a ticket. I don't think there's any list available online.

Does the 24h trial start running when I start the software first time or can I just take my time looking the song list and then start the trial later?

Brofield

Still no list to browse online? (Canadian here).

Is it possible someone could fill me in on what classic rock songs they have, specifically if there is any Springsteen?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Still no list to browse online? (Canadian here).

Is it possible someone could fill me in on what classic rock songs they have, specifically if there is any Springsteen?

Here:
wiiu_screenshot_gamepgvsgc.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamep6hslg.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamep0ssud.jpg

Nerazar

Its not even been out for a week. They said Japanese songs are coming and there is even a Japanese option in the filter.

Who is "they" in that case? Japanese songs would be great, because with the JP-WiiU you have like 100.000+ Songs ... :)

It's a great app!

Storm360

Odd song choices for some, only Gun's and Roses song is Knocking On Heavens Door and only Reel Big Fish song is the Take On Me cover

Hopefully the list gets expanded, I'd love more RBF for sure

terrisus

1 Hour Ticket - 1.99€ / £1.79
24 Hour Ticket - 4.99€ / £4.49
30 Day Ticket - 14.99€ / £13.49

So, basically, it's a game that one can only rent?
Ick.

Would have thought about getting it for my wife if/when it came out here otherwise.
But, that's a disgusting "sale" model.

wrowa

Who is "they" in that case? Japanese songs would be great, because with the JP-WiiU you have like 100.000+ Songs ... :)

It's a great app!

Nintendo Europe announced Japanese songs in the latest Direct. I don't know if NoA did the same.

wrowa

Ick.

Would have thought about getting it for my wife if/when it came out here otherwise.

Why so? You get a HUGE library of songs you would otherwise never get. In other music games you'll get two dozens songs in the base package and then you'll have to buy each and every song individually. In this app, you pay two bucks and you can play whatever song you like from a selection of several thousand songs. That's a pretty great deal, really. Especially for a game that you'd only play on certain occasions with friends to begin with.

Grok4Spock

I have a bad feeling that NOA is going to justify not bringing this over here because of Sing Party's shitty sales..

Jucksalbe

Banned
It really depends on how you want to play this. If you just want to play it when you have some friends over, it's a good model, especially since it gives you access to the whole catalogue.
It mimicks a karaoke bar, see it like that and it makes sense.

Darmik

I played this with a few friends the other night and we did Karaoke Battle. It was hilarious! It's funny how the simple aspect of having your Mii's perform and dance can add so much to this. Doing Karaoke Battle brings up an American Idol-esque presentation and it picks a random Mii to be the host.

Brofield

Bless you sir.

Hell, all I'd want added to that list is Born In The USA and Wrecking Ball, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did come later on down the road. What I am surprised by is how many they already have. I would not have suspected Secret Garden or I'm On Fire; those have to be some of my favourites of his deeper cuts.

Just get Born In The USA and Wrecking Ball in there, and I'd be a 100% satisfied customer with anything else they may have included.

jts

...hate me...
Does this support 2 players/mics? And Singstar's wireless mics work yes?

Also second the motion of having an online song list damm it. Can't be bothered to boot up my Wii U right now and download this (also would work as a potential selling point for others - it's advertising).

wrowa

I'm surprised we haven't gotten "arcade" games where you have to pay a quarter (or, more in line with arcades now, a dollar or two) per play.

You are ignoring that buying each song individually would be drastically more expensive.

daxgame

Ick.

So you want to pay for a 1500+ songs app? Gotcha. it's 200€ for you.
You either make a game like Sing Party, or you make this. I think this is better.

Turrican3

Have you experienced any differences, lag-wise, between the GamePad mic and USB ones?

By the way the GamePad is far from being the most comfortable way of singing so I guess I should go USB anyway... but I'd like to know about actual performance first, because with the gamepad there seems to be a noticeable lag (BUT the game audio selftest says there shouldn't be any problem) of my recorded voice that apparently isn't there when I sing.

squall23

I'm surprised we haven't gotten "arcade" games where you have to pay a quarter (or, more in line with arcades now, a dollar or two) per play.
That's essentially the "stamina bar" mechanic found in Asian phone and tablet games.
Why does this video have over 3.000.000 hits? o_O
Most of the comments regarding the video (on youtube or niconico) isn't even about the game. It's just fangirls loving and talking about him wearing shorts.

I can't download this to check the song list myself and Google isn't helping at all. Does anyone remember if there are any songs by Queen, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie or The Talking Heads?

I can't download this to check the song list myself and Google isn't helping at all. Does anyone remember if there are any songs by Queen, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie or The Talking Heads?

Off the top of my head, there were eight or so Dylan songs. Blowin' in the Wind, Subterranean Homesick Blues, "Rainy Day Women ♯12 & 35 (I think?), Lay Lady Lay, Knockin' on Heaven's Door and some others that I can't immediately think of.

There were a couple of Queen songs, don't remember which. Not Bohemian Rhapsody or Under Pressure.

Don't remember on Bowie, didn't really think to check him.

Only Peter Gabriel I remember seeing is the Don't Give Up duet with Kate Bush.

Stuff it. Hang on, I'll fire my Wii U up and check for you.

Here we go:

Bob Dylan
Blowin' in the Wind
Forever Young
Gotta Serve Somebody
I Want You
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Lay Lady Lay
Like a Rolling Stone
Mr. Tambourine Man
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
Subterranean Homesick Blues
The Times They Are A-Changin'

Few more than I thought. Couple obvious ones I forgot.

David Bowie
Wasn't that I forgot to look for him, was that there was nothing there :(

Peter Gabriel
Solsbury Hill
Steam
Don't Give Up w/ Kate Bush

Queen
I Was Born to Love You
No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)

Talking Heads
Nada

Whoa, thanks a lot for the awesome list!

I'm surprised to see so much Dylan (Lay Lady Lay!) and so little Queen, although I Was Born To Love You is a great surprise! I would have though that the more obvious songs by the other three would make it, like Psycho Killer, Modern Love and Sledgehammer. It's a nice selection, anyway, and it makes me wish I could get it all the more.

App is great but it overdrives the subwoofer in the seconds before the actual song starts, I had to switch off mine, hope they work that out.

Does this support 2 players/mics? And Singstar's wireless mics work yes?

Also second the motion of having an online song list damm it. Can't be bothered to boot up my Wii U right now and download this (also would work as a potential selling point for others - it's advertising).
Dunno about two mics, I couldn't get Singstar's wireless mics to work, probably some custom protocol or something (not a tech guy, sorry).

Whoa, thanks a lot for the awesome list!

I'm surprised to see so much Dylan (Lay Lady Lay!) and so little Queen, although I Was Born To Love You is a great surprise! I would have though that the more obvious songs by the other three would make it, like Psycho Killer, Modern Love and Sledgehammer. It's a nice selection, anyway, and it makes me wish I could get it all the more.

No worries, happy to help.

Yeah, the selection is mostly pretty good but a bit uneven at times. Nicely stacked for some, pretty decent but missing a couple of obvious choices for others and just plain empty for yet more. It's supposed to be expanding over time though so while I'm pretty happy with what's there, hopefully it'll get fleshed out even more over time.

Gamepad mic really is quite useless in my experience. It isn't even able to rate due to it not picking up the voice correctly. Oh well, a proper mic is better anyhow.

I'd rather 300 songs for 40€, which would make it about the right price for a video game at the same ratio as suggested above.
Well you don't. A single song is 1,39 EUR in the Singstore.

My wife has Singstar with more than 400 songs (and she bought every physical copy since the first one on PS2) and I can say that this is a way better deal here.

She must have (actually I must have) spent like almost 1 000€ for this (god I want to cry now) so for this game she should play more than 5 years to spend the same amount of money.

She'll never get access to 1500+ songs in Singstar without paying a colossal amount of money (1 000€ is enough.... tonight I just announce her that the SingStar shop is now closed :p ) and she can't even transfer the older SingStar songs :(

I'll convince her to go for this (after trying the game for a day this week-end to be sure).

Bulzeeb

Chû Totoro;85533154 said:
My wife has Singstar with more than 400 songs (and she bought every physical copy since the first one on PS2) and I can say that this is a way better deal here.

She must have (actually I must have) spent like almost 1 000€ for this (god I want to cry now) so for this game she should play more than 5 years to spend the same amount of money.

She'll never get access to 1500+ songs in Singstar without paying a colossal amount of money (1 000€ is enough.... tonight I just announce her that the SingStar shop is now closed :p ) and she can't even transfer the older SingStar songs :(

I'll convince her to go for this (after trying the game for a day this week-end to be sure).

post your impressions then, they might be interesting to read :p

post your impressions then, they might be interesting to read :p

Sure but I'll post hers first (and her friends). She had so many SingStar nights with friends I think her impressions could be interesting, yeah :)

She doesn't care about Sony or Nintendo (or gamepad or whatever) so she'll say things without bias I think (I mean if GamePad is useless she'll surely say it lol).

My impressions are going to be on the price (mostly) :p

Also there is already quite good posts here about first tries and the games seems to be fun :D

Top Bottom