• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Karaoke U by Joysound |OT| I Wanna Dance With Shibata

Robin64

If you don't have a USB mic and want to get one, note that Nintendo sell an official Wii U one.

16007273-7147

Trial hour is over. This is fun. I can see myself getting daily tickets when friends come over.
IMO the pricing model is great. I rather pay 5 bucks for one night and have +1000 songs than full price retail for ~80 songs.

The only leaderboards I found were under "My Room" -> "Scores" where you can check your ranking positions on songs you did in online ranking mode. Also, after completing a song the game shows the top 3 players/scores. If there's something like top 100 leaderboards to each song, which can be checked any given time I didn't find it.

Isn't on the Australian eShop but can be downloaded and played perfectly from here with a UK Nintendo Network account.

Really liked my time with the 1 hour trial. Great interface and song selection (even though a couple of tracks I'dve liked weren't in there). Will have to see if I have a USB microphone next time I actually buy a ticket, the Gamepad mic mostly worked but seemed to drop bits (or maybe that's just my voice ._.). Did the big Beatles Rock Band box with the guitar and drums come with a microphone?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
After living in Japan for four years and enjoying Japanese songs at karaoke I'm pretty jealous of yall since I'm back in the US and we don't have this yet. Really hope it comes over.

prag16

Banned
How does this handle audio lag introduced by HDTVs? With rockband there was always an echo type effect due to this...

It would be nice if you could buy for example some individual songs for unlimited use. Now the pricing model feels kind of limiting...

It would be nice if you could buy for example some individual songs for unlimited use. Now the pricing model feels kind of limiting...

considering karaoke normally costs around £3.50 per pint per person, getting a crate of fosters for 15 quid or less, then a fiver for a day ticket this is a bit of a bargain and you wont have to wait hours to get a turn

JayFalcon

Banned
it's a bit expensive tbh...£1.99 for 24hrs and I would keep it on my dashboard in case I have any karaoke fans come round.

I won't let them pay on the principle that I don't agree with the pricing model.

you tell your friends how to spend their money? if a friend turned up at mine then we went to the shop to buy some wine and they tried to buy a 10 quid bottle i'd think they were a bit silly when there was perfectly good bottles for a fiver but I wouldn't stop them, I guess you would?

Watching last ND I was positively impressed by this, but I must say I loathe this kind of pricing system: I mean, apparently it is only playable paying a subscription?

I would like to have the possibility of purchasing a sort of retail package edition with at least a good selection of songs being included and possibly buying other songs via DLC.

I think the pricing's pretty fair consider the size and variety of the library on offer. Given the irregular frequency you're probably going to use it a fiver every now and then for access to that breadth of content is much better to me than just plopping down ten times that much for a tiny fraction of the songs.

Only problem is that it doesn't have Kiss from a Rose. And that eight Kate Bush songs is never enough.

Robin64

There's a full stage customisation feature! You pick the base stage you want, and then the various parts such as canopy, speakers, dance group etc have different options. You can also select the colour you want each part to be and even the time of day for the whole thing. Seems pretty cool!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01xroao.jpg

prag16

Banned
Interestingly: (from the manual)

20131004_15315992bks.jpg

Something that couldn't be done pre-v4 system update right?

That's interesting. Need an external speaker then. Slightly annoying, but I'm glad they thought of this.

It asked me for an audio calibration to solve this precise issue.

Well, that'll make sure the system processes your input in sync with the audio, but it doesn't help the issue of there being a delay between your speaking, and the output (if over HDMI).

Exile20

Now only if NA would give us this gem of a game. Are there any reviews or can someone give a short review of it?

xk0sm0sx

I own a Japanese Wii, and this is the reason I still turn on my Wii.

And also the reason why I must still import a Japanese Wii U again.

(Yes I know the PS3 had Joysound Dive)

To people complaining about the price: This is pretty much the cheapest way to access a huge karaoke catalogue in Japan. If I were to go to a karaoke box for 24 hours it will be over ten times the price.

I guess the ranking system made it over as well, that shit is crack. You are singing halfway and the game tells you "You've just sang better than 2305 people! Keep it up!". And when the game tells you "You are ranked in the top 1% in the world for this song", that feels.

Jethro

How is the quality of the instrumental versions at all? I listened on youtube to Bohemian Rhapsody and it was baaaaaaaaaaaaad, Sounded like midi.

How is the quality of the instrumental versions at all? I listened on youtube to Bohemian Rhapsody and it was baaaaaaaaaaaaad, Sounded like midi.

Its okay imho.
Has anyone found the Japanese songs?

No that sucks :(

Song some of my karaoke repertoire thoughh (wonderwall, a whole new world, coffee and tv, eye of the tiger, can you feel the love tonight, accross the universe etc.)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
One interesting thing about this game. You can sing with photos from your SD Card on screen. I thought data from SD Cards was forbidden on Wii U. (There's now absolutely no reason why a new version of the Photo Channel doesn't exist.)

Managed to dig up a Rock Band microphone after all. Wound up buying a 24 hr pass this morning to keep playing around with it today. My ratings seem to be creeping up compared to last night, probably mostly thanks to the switch from the Gamepad.

ib1j3r78MqK71e.gif

WhyMe6

Has anyone found the Japanese songs?

Nope, I downloaded it today...couldn't find a single Japanese song. Where's my precious Blue Light Yokohama?!

Maybe they'll add it in an update?

Also: no New Order, no The Smiths. So sad :(

EDIT: I must agree with PumpkinPie though: this is amazing, and could totally be considered a killer app. I **LOVE** how the gamepad perfectly emulates a karaoke remote! :O

AntMurda

The developer is actually NIntendo SPD Production Group No. 2 and Tose. Of course Joysound is also involved.

It's a shame they have to artificially delay this game for North America because of crappy Sing Party. Wii Karaoke U was a much better idea.

MDX

This could be the Wii U's killer app, the range of songs in this game is fantastic.

I thought this game would spur WiiU japanese sales.

But If you look what Nintendo is doing, they are basically positioning the console
this year as a console for family and friend get togethers these holidays:
WiisportsClub, Karaoke U, 3DWorld, Mario&Sonic Winter Games, WiiPartyU.

Will that attract consumers? Who knows.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haven't played with the one hour trial yet but I was messing about with the other modes.

The costumes and stage designer need to make a comeback if Wii Music 2 is ever made.
I'm assuming one can unlock more items the more you play.

EDIT: I'm searching for all my sing song favourites and they're not there. Will have to wait for a catalogue update me thinks.

Top Bottom