• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Playing Tennis online is so much fun. I've played a few matches and it was pretty good for the most part. It only got laggy when I was playing against someone from Peru.

Up to level 8 in tennis. Got to play a good gaffer (Brandon I think). Was 3-2 against him. Good games man!
Yeah, it was me. You were a pretty good opponent.

Zing

Banned
Tennis is gonna take some getting used to for me. Bowling is my favorite. First time doing 100 pin I got two strikes in a row and botched up the third for a turkey. :D I wonder if they are going for a Wii Sport Plus package or just the original pack in title wii sports set. I would like to see archery and Frisbee make a come back.
The press release says it will just be the original five.

Spades

Just played Wii Sports Club and Bowling for the first time. It took me right back to Wii launch day! Works very well online - I think I'll be playing this beyond the 24 hour ticket. Looking forward to the release of Golf.

Smilax

Anyone else having trouble playing online with 2 people? My brother and I have been trying to play against teams for awhile, but the connection always ends up going to 1 bar. However, on Single Player, it runs just fine.

Zing

Banned
Damn, the update is taking forever. It's showing 3 hours for me. Is this normal?
It took me about 10 minutes at around 2:30pm.

It's prime time, and the site is probably packed now. I'm going to eat dinner and then get back into the game.

Go Club Ontario!

plank

Sucks that you can't have online matches with clubs in other regions. I have family over seas and it would be great to play Wii sports online with them over the holidays.

Haines

Banned
This game is sooo good.

I pick to play against people in my club now tho. I tried ALL and it gave me someone in Brasil and the whole match was in super slow motion due to lag. By picking my club I guarantee they are close and its flawless.

Talamius

Wii Sports Tennis online may be my new favorite game. Lag free so far.

I'm on an ethernet adapter if that makes a difference. Wii USB ethernet adapters work.

I played 3 Tennis matches and they were hard, yet fun.

The first one had no connection issues, the second one had a bit of lag, but no problem, and the third one was horrible throughout the whole game.

Bowling on the other hand had great connection throughout.

Still fun to play!

Penguin

Sucks that you can't have online matches with clubs in other regions. I have family over seas and it would be great to play Wii sports online with them over the holidays.

So you can't even play online with friends from other regions?

My experiences so far:

The good:
Online is a godsend for this game.
Tennis is awesome with a human opponent.
Graphics are.. ok.

The bad:
No proper communication.
Way too many textboxes.
Bland midi music. The original was way better.
The old wiimotes felt more acurate in tennis. Heck whenever i use a motion+ remote if feels buggy as fuck. In every game. Not just sports club.

The worst:
No Video chat in Bowling!
No teams against teams in online bowling! Come on! This is a no brainer!

Played two tennis matches (won both handily), and a 4-player bowling game (got lucky and won with a 180). No lag, quite fun! Wish the baseline shots in tennis were a bit more accurate; also wish there was a pro mode with nunchuck movement. Team Michigan!

ciccione

Tried a dozen of tennis matches. A mixed bag: some lag free, some unplayable. Why do they let low frame when lags? Beside this, when it works, it'a fantastic game, perfect for multiplayer. Even bowling is good, but too much wait when four people play

BooJoh

I've only just started, but so far I'm really not overly impressed. It feels a lot like the same game, with online features tacked on. I haven't tried the online stuff yet, but I'm not typically that fond of competitive online games in general. Also my club (North Carolina) says it only has 8 members for Tennis and 5 for Bowling, and it seems like there should have been an option for custom clubs so we could have a GAF club, etc.

The Wii Remote still seems to drift off center often like in Wii Sports Resort so I was constantly recalibrating.

Top all this off with the fact that Wii Sports Resort has a lot more games and can be played in off-TV mode (even if that seems a little ridiculous for this particular game, but I've used it) and I'm not quite as sold as I was before.

I'll give it a little more time and try out some of the new modes.

ciccione

I've only just started, but so far I'm really not overly impressed. I haven't tried the online stuff yet, but I'm not typically that fond of competitive online games in general.

I'll give it a little more time and try out some of the new modes.

If you don't play online this is a nonsense game.

So people like Tennis? I was already 100% down for Bowling but wasn't gonna bother with Tennis as I didn't think much of the Wii original.

Its possible because I play Mario Tennis so much that ruined me for other Tennis games.

Shinta

Banned
I played Tennis online for a couple of hours.

It's undeniably fun. I really want to like it.

But ... I consistently have trouble getting the remote to accurately read what I'm doing. It really kills the fun.

The Wii Remote still seems to drift off center often like in Wii Sports Resort so I was constantly recalibrating.

I have the same issue and it's super-annoying. Somehow it happens even more often in the duck training mini-game. >.<

Also online seems quite deserted. Can't find people anymore for 100-pin bowling, it's just past midnight in Europe…

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It took me a little while but I warmed up to this.

Bowling feels more fleshed out than Tennis just because there's so many modes and so many game types can be played online. I like that the new sets of stamps are relatively "hardcore" not simply easy cheevos to throw at people for basic gameplay.

I think I'm opposite most feelings about online bowling as I don't mind taking time when it's not my turn. It is something to actually get a drink, maybe some peanuts, and sit down to enjoy taking your time for a night of bowling. You've got plenty of time to relax such between your turns.

No voice chat is either/or for me, but I think maybe they should have had some kind of real time chat window open on the wii U pad for bowling, a group chat for the players. There's plenty of time to type stuff up between turns.

I got a terrible tennis connection to a guy in Mexico I think and when Tennis lags, it is horrifying. After that I tried another 8 games and it went pretty well. Played someone on the west coast (I'm on the east) and while there was a touch of lag it was still strategically playable.

Zing

Banned
I also don't not understand any complaints about slow play in four-player bowling. It seems perfectly acceptable to me. I watch most people take their shot and try to learn what works best. Sometimes I even get annoyed when people press A to skip their own replay, because I want to see it again. It doesn't take that long. Society really is doomed if this is a problem.

weevles

So unlimited is a one time cost? The season pass is quite a cost jump from the original being a pack in and Resort being more around the $30 mark with motion plus. Not sure I understand the purpose of a day pass either...wouldn't a demo be better?

So unlimited is a one time cost? The season pass is quite a cost jump from the original being a pack in and Resort being more around the $30 mark with motion plus. Not sure I understand the purpose of a day pass either...wouldn't a demo be better?
Yeah you can unlock a sport permanently for $10. You do get to try the sports for free for 24 hours from the time you launch the game. Day passes are good if it's something you'll only play on occasion and don't want to shell out the $50 for all 5 sports when they're out.

I can't throw a ball fast in bowling for the life of me. It seemed way easier in the original.
Yeah I only played a bit of bowling but I did pretty awful. The worst part is I got absolutely destroyed by my father >_< He never beats me THAT badly in anything we play, but I could just not get any sort of rhythm going at all. I used to be great with putting spin on the ball, but not doing so well so far.

Zing

Banned
I think it was easier in the original Wii Sports. I always had trouble with the Sports Resort version.

I just discovered that if you move around when it isn't your turn, your Mii jumps and spins.

Darryl

Banned
Online was very good. I played 7 matches or so. 6 went flawlessly. 1 had some people from Mexico playing and it lagged so bad it kicked us out. The transitions between matches was great. They don't want you to stop playing. Ran into a lot of couples which was funny because the girlfriend in all of the matches made easy slip ups, including mine. Also ran into what seemed to be young kids who just sucked completely.

Game was awesome though. Quality online tennis game. Will definitely buy this one when the trial expires.

BooJoh

My first game of bowling solo I bowled a 203 and got the Pro Bowler and No Pin Standing stamps. I'm not doing anything fancy though, just aiming slightly off-center to compensate for my natural spin.

It feels pretty much exactly like Wii Sports Resort bowling to me, but I'll probably buy it just because it's fun, HD, digital, and I might play some online games here and there.

Still gotta give some more time to tennis. I never played much of it on Wii and I'm just pretty terrible at it atm. Maybe with practice it'll be more fun.

iphys

BTW, does anyone else find it strange that the front and back of the tennis racket seem to correspond to the left and right sides of the wiimote rather than the front and back of it? Have I been holding tennis rackets wrong all my life?

How do you change Mii's in game?

My daughter and I are playing 1 on 1 matches vs people online and we have to turn the game off everytime to switch Mii's..

Like log out to the first Wii U boot up screen and select My Mii or hers then load up the game.

Are we doing something wrong? Where can i quickly switch Mii's within the game?

How do you change Mii's in game?

My daughter and I are playing 1 on 1 matches vs people online and we have to turn the game off everytime to switch Mii's..

Like log out to the first Wii U boot up screen and select My Mii or hers then load up the game.

Are we doing something wrong? Where can i quickly switch Mii's within the game?

Settings > Change Player list I think

Glass Joe

I love it. Level 10 now in Tennis! :D

Awesome! My first night I had some connection issues, but when playing I didn't have much lag. I'm level 3 on tennis (2-0) and level 2 on bowling (1-0). I think this game is gonna be crack going straight into my veins, as long as the connecting doesn't aggravate me.

Top Bottom