• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

BooJoh

From what I can tell, the controller "lag" happens when you move the Wiimote too fast and it loses track of where it is relative to where it should be. Generally speaking, you don't need to flail your arms and wrists about as there's plenty of time to follow through naturally. Best advice I can give for people who are having trouble is try to centre the Wiimote in front of you after every shot.

That seems to be part of my issue. First of all, I think my swings were too big, secondly, if they're too fast then it can mess with the calibration. The controls seem rather sensitive and specific, without much room for error, and judging by reactions here it seems like it just doesn't click for some people. It still hasn't for me. I had the same issue with Swordplay in Wii Sports Resort.

kitsuneyo

BTW, does anyone else find it strange that the front and back of the tennis racket seem to correspond to the left and right sides of the wiimote rather than the front and back of it? Have I been holding tennis rackets wrong all my life?

Yes! Took me a while to work that out.

Tokieda

Regarding the wm+ controls, I think a lot of you ought to try making bigger, broader hits.

I still played the old Wii Sports semi-regularly (my father-in-law looooves it) and you could get by with just flicking your wrist a lot of the time.

I feel that in Wii Sports Club, you have to 'relearn' the controls to a certain extent - certainly I was very frustrated in the beginning but as soon as I started using the whole arm rather than just my wrist, it felt much more responsive.
That being said, I don't think it works a 100% of the time, which I still find frustrating, but 98% is a lot better than 80-90%.

I don't know if anyone has had the same experience.

Robin64

My main problem with Tennis is that it registers as a swing when I am just trying to get my racquet into position to then do a swing.

Schnozberry

Regarding the wm+ controls, I think a lot of you ought to try making bigger, broader hits.

I still played the old Wii Sports semi-regularly (my father-in-law looooves it) and you could get by with just flicking your wrist a lot of the time.

I feel that in Wii Sports Club, you have to 'relearn' the controls to a certain extent - certainly I was very frustrated in the beginning but as soon as I started using the whole arm rather than just my wrist, it felt much more responsive.
That being said, I don't think it works a 100% of the time, which I still find frustrating, but 98% is a lot better than 80-90%.

I don't know if anyone has had the same experience.

I'd agree, and I think it's the curse of increased controller accuracy. The spastic swinging that had zero penalty in OG Wii Sports is now carries a hefty penalty with the improved accelerometer.

The menu music in this is just brilliant. That funky bass!

Didn't really get on with Tennis. I think I won three, lost three. Might be wrong. There was plenty of lag.

Bowling is nice though; I thought we'd be restricted to just the three phrase choices you've set to the dpad during matches but you can actually customise them mid-game on the gamepad, which is a nice thing. I wish there were a few more pre-set phrases for quick congratulations but I guess I'll not care too much once I have a few Miiverse responses set.

I did a wee Street Fightery one for when I mess up in Bowling:

rdKchDh.png

Terrell

I tried playing earlier and got disconnects left right and center. And then eShop seemed to be down even though my connection was fine. Must've been getting slammed with traffic.

Had a great one game of bowling, really enjoying that.

Tennis is a lot of fun when it works, but man, they really shouldn't just cancel matches, or even better, don't make the game connection in the first place, if the connection of one or both players is bad.

There are some real slideshow matches you can get into in Tennis.

Glass Joe

I tried playing earlier and got disconnects left right and center. And then eShop seemed to be down even though my connection was fine. Must've been getting slammed with traffic.

I'm thinking so. I'm getting a constant Error Code 118-0512 when I try a tennis match. I can still do bowling though. I tried changing from wi-fi to ethernet etc and so I think it's just borked on their end. Day 1 online issues on a Nintendo product. Not that shocking. Hopefully they'll fix it soon because it was working great when it works.

Terrell

I'm thinking so. I'm getting a constant Error Code 118-0512 when I try a tennis match. I can still do bowling though. I tried changing from wi-fi to ethernet etc and so I think it's just borked on their end. Day 1 online issues on a Nintendo product. Not that shocking. Hopefully they'll fix it soon because it was working great when it works.
FTFY

BooJoh

It seems you can only earn stamps in local play. In addition, you don't get XP in local play tennis if you use an AI partner. I'm warming up to tennis a bit now, but I still seem to get the random game where my calibration just drifts like crazy for no apparent reason.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I ended up playing 7 online games of tennis last night. Only 2 of them were laggy, one of them being almost a slideshow. By coincidence, both of them were against players from Italy. And also by coincidence those were the only ones that I lost. Overall I think the experience is great, going from one game to the next one is really fast and I like the idea of having the call-outs on the d-pad buttons. I think it adds to the overall immersion

I made some custom ones before going to bed, but I didn't get time to test them yet.

69wpm

I ended up playing 7 online games of tennis last night. Only 2 of them were laggy, one of them being almost a slideshow. By coincidence, both of them were against players from Italy.

Welcome to the club, lost again against some guy from Italy. The problem is definitely on their end because they can play fine, yet you can't time your hits. It's really annoying. Played some folks from UK and everything was fine.

Eh, Tennis still isn't that great. And I'm not fond of the Wiimote+ controls. They always get off after a few swings no matter how I play or which controller I use.

It's not that great even when the controls do work. It was boring 7 years ago and it's boring now.

Will stick with bowling!

CoolS

I ended up playing 7 online games of tennis last night. Only 2 of them were laggy, one of them being almost a slideshow. By coincidence, both of them were against players from Italy. And also by coincidence those were the only ones that I lost. Overall I think the experience is great, going from one game to the next one is really fast and I like the idea of having the call-outs on the d-pad buttons. I think it adds to the overall immersion

I made some custom ones before going to bed, but I didn't get time to test them yet.
I said it before, but my really bad matches have alle been again Italians. They must have some really shitty internet because otherwise it males no sense whatsoever to me.

Reaches Rank Star1 now. So much fun

69wpm

Pro tip: Press down on the d-pad to re-center your racket. I do this every time I or the opponent serves the ball.

Celine

Tennis is a lot of fun when it works, but man, they really shouldn't just cancel matches, or even better, don't make the game connection in the first place, if the connection of one or both players is bad.

There are some real slideshow matches you can get into in Tennis.
Amen,
I would put the option in the settings to choose a minimum connection level desired by the user.
If the connection in a match goes lower for a prolonged time then stop it.

cacildo

My main problem with Tennis is that it registers as a swing when I am just trying to get my racquet into position to then do a swing.

Yes

And that happens because of the "auto swing"

It seems there´s two types of motion the game register: simple moves and shakes

When you move, the racquet moves. But when you shake it a little bit stronger, it register an "auto swing"

I wish they could cut this auto swing crap. Let us have to make an all out swing, with strenght and speed

Welp, after an hour or so of playing, I'm not sure about this.

Bowling is great as always, and largely unchanged from Resort. Like the new challenges, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if you're not planning on playing online.

Tennis though... The controls drifts like hell, and feels inferior to the standard controls in the original game. My girlfriend was very frustrated with the controls, not having played the original before. I played that religiously for quite some time, and even I had problems with the controls drifting and being overly sensitive.

The net code seems to be somewhat shit as well, only letting me get smooth matches with people that has excellent connection.

All in all it feels like a very light update to the original, and that's not just good. I'm also not a big fan of the look of it. The clean Mii visuals worked in 2006, but seems way too flat in proper HD.

Celine

The net code seems to be somewhat shit as well, only letting me get smooth matches with people that has excellent connection.
That's my main problem.
Controls are fine, clean graphics in HD appeals to me and music is good.
WM+, online and social feature is the main feature Club has over the original but if the netcode is shit then it's all for nothing.

Fix it as soon as possible Scamco.

http://i3.minus.com/jiwfzXbwp7YMS.PNG
lol

Sad to see people having problems. My experience has been maybe 98% perfect in terms of connection. I get matched with people immediately, and the vast majority of matches are green bars, some yellow (still fine and playable) and maybe 3 red (awful). I've been playing people all over North America just fine, and I'm in the Caribbean (10mbps).

Mumford

I'm excited for this. Wii Sports was one of the few games I could play with my Dad, so I hope this turns out well. I at least hope golf is good.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My experience with the online was also good (80% smooth games). If only we can find a way to ban Italy from the competition.
jk

As for controls, I don't get what's wrong with them. Maybe I'm fine because I didn't use to play Wii Tennis just from the wrist? Because that doesn't really work well with the Motion+.

Muskweeto

After playing the ring master training in Tennis I've come to realize how accurate you can be. I agree that the random swinging while trying to adjust your angle can be annoying, but I'll probably get a better feel for it over time.

Anyway, Tennis is SO bought, and probably bowling at some point too. Can't wait for more sports to come.

Celine

My experience with the online was also good (80% smooth games). If only we can find a way to ban Italy from the competition.
jk
You fear mighty Italy :p

if only more people put their WiiU on DMZ...

I'm in Italy and that improved my experience.

mf luder

From what I can tell, the controller "lag" happens when you move the Wiimote too fast and it loses track of where it is relative to where it should be. Generally speaking, you don't need to flail your arms and wrists about as there's plenty of time to follow through naturally. Best advice I can give for people who are having trouble is try to centre the Wiimote in front of you after every shot.

This. It was the same on grand slam tennis. If you watch the guy playing against Iwata in the video released a couple of days ago he's centering the wiimote after every shot.

Zing

Banned
Yes

And that happens because of the "auto swing"

It seems there´s two types of motion the game register: simple moves and shakes

When you move, the racquet moves. But when you shake it a little bit stronger, it register an "auto swing"

I wish they could cut this auto swing crap. Let us have to make an all out swing, with strenght and speed

Yes, it would be fine if the controller simply registered your movement. We need an "automatic" and "manual" setting. I doubt it will ever happen.

JavyOO7

I can only get 70 in ring master. Some dude has a 151. I think he's in my Club? Dunno. All I know is that I cannot hit straight shots for crap. ):

69wpm

I can only get 70 in ring master. Some dude has a 151. I think he's in my Club? Dunno. All I know is that I cannot hit straight shots for crap. ):

Yeah, I barely managed to get 118 I think and somebody has 208, no idea how, I suck at this.

Exile20

Try it slowly, I haven't tried Wii Sport Club yet but in Wii Fit U I had to get into position slowly and not swing quickly into position.

trixx

Haven't played the games yet, but are they worth the ten dollars? I think the only one i'm getting for sure is golf

Top Bottom