• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Awesome! My first night I had some connection issues, but when playing I didn't have much lag. I'm level 3 on tennis (2-0) and level 2 on bowling (1-0). I think this game is gonna be crack going straight into my veins, as long as the connecting doesn't aggravate me.

Seriously. I can't stop playing!

Calamari41

41 > 38
The original Wii Sports never really did it for me. Yeah, it was an amazing advancement in gaming and was admittedly fun, but it could never hold my attention for more than a few minutes at a time.

The addition of online competition really puts what is basically the same game on a totally different level. I've been playing tennis for the past couple of hours non-stop, and having a great time. I am amazed at how lightning fast I am getting into matches. It's like as soon as I get into the little target practice waiting room, I get placed with someone and off we go.

I haven't even tried bowling yet, as I'm thoroughly addicted to tennis for the time being.

This should be pre-installed on every Wii U from now on, with a sticker on the box indicating as such. Anybody with a fresh system will give it a try and most will fall in love (and spend $20).

Tennis: I'm surprised that even with Motion Plus, direction is still heavily reliant on timing rather than the angle of the Wiimote. Certainly nowhere near as realistic as Grand Slam Tennis.

I've had so much playing this game all day! Already bought bowling definitely gonna get tennis too! Only broke 200 once so far in bowling never did that bad in regular wii sports :(

100 Pin online bowling is amazing. I can see myself starting to sink a lot of time into this. Wish we had ETAs for the other sports. Boxing and baseball lets goo!

ThankeeSai

Not played Wii Sports in a long time, but have just been on the bowling for the past 5 hours or so.

Won a few, lost a few, had a blast. Love it and a definite purchase for me. The tennis on the other hand - far too laggy, doesn't play as well as the normal Wii tennis either, so will be giving it a miss for now.

Zing

Banned
I went into this assuming it was a guaranteed purchase. After playing for a couple hours, I'm not so sure. The motion plus remote just can't keep up with tennis. Many times after I serve, the remote thinks I am aiming off to the side, when it is pointed straight. It isn't just me, as I can see it happening to opponents as well when they miss my return. It definitely feels like there is much less control than in the original. I felt like I could get the ball to go wherever I wanted in the original. Here, it is a crapshoot. It is made worse that now, the game seems to calculate the height of your swing, and you can swing over the ball.

With controllers that were accurate, the game would be fine. I know exactly what is going on, so the frustration isn't too bad for me. I'd feel responsible for allowing my daughter to suffer with these poor controls, though.

I have no trouble with lag. I had one game with someone who had 1 bar, and I just left the room to go get a snack and allow myself to time out. I still think the tennis scoring is weird, and should have just been a set of three games instead of randomly scoring to 7.

Tennis felt better to me after I decided to play sitting down (yeh I know..). No problems at all since. Winning pretty regularly.

Korezo

Doesn't the wii u pad have a sensor bar for the wii mote? I can't use the wii mote correctly because I need to use that damn wii sensor bar that I never connected... How do I activate the sensor bar on the pad instead? I don't want to connect the wii censor bar because I don't want wires.

Doesn't the wii u pad have a sensor bar for the wii mote? I can't use the wii mote correctly because I need to use that damn wii sensor bar that I never connected... How do I activate the sensor bar on the pad instead? I don't want to connect the wii censor bar because I don't want wires.

I think it's up to games to manually enable the GamePad's sensor bar (for example CoD Black Ops 2 while in off-TV, the whole Wii Mode, etc.) and you can't do anything about it. :/ Also you would have to be 30 cm - 1 m away from the GamePad, not more.

Many times after I serve, the remote thinks I am aiming off to the side, when it is pointed straight. It isn't just me, as I can see it happening to opponents as well when they miss my return. It definitely feels like there is much less control than in the original.

Press D-pad DOWN while aiming at your TV to recenter the Motion Plus.

I was showing the game off to my pop and we played an online match against someone who I think has a Nintendo-centric YouTube channel. We had to go against anyone since apparently there wasn't anyone in our state playing.

It was fun though.

100 Pin online bowling is amazing. I can see myself starting to sink a lot of time into this. Wish we had ETAs for the other sports. Boxing and baseball lets goo!

I believe(in the Iwata Asks), it was said that Golf is next, and is coming soon. Hopefully, that means before the end of the year.

I'm really curious to see how well it plays, with the gamepad feature added.

I feel my Club needs to get with the program.

i6wFEAX33OcO4.jpg

i0vjG7nnUrUtd.jpg

Allforce

Too bad, it's the latter. I was hoping it's 24h of gameplay. Oh well, I guess I'll just pick up a bowling. Anyone here picking bowling?

Here's my nnid: Lexxism

Knowing Nintendo you can probably just deactivate your WiFi connection after buying a day pass and the game will stay on your system forever.

Nicktals

Banned
Played two tennis matches (won both handily), and a 4-player bowling game (got lucky and won with a 180). No lag, quite fun! Wish the baseline shots in tennis were a bit more accurate; also wish there was a pro mode with nunchuck movement. Team Michigan!
Yay team michigan! When i played earlier i was the only one!

Chrom

Knowing Nintendo you can probably just deactivate your WiFi connection after buying a day pass and the game will stay on your system forever.

You can't play the game with the Day Pass without an Internet connection, I think.

OryoN

Saw a few miiverse posts complaining about lag also. Not sure how bad it is, but hopefully it catches Nintendo's attention.

BooJoh

Press D-pad DOWN while aiming at your TV to recenter the Motion Plus.

Doing that after almost every swing is unacceptable, but sometimes feels required. It's like the game works fine sometimes and then doesn't other times. Add to that the stuttery laggy online and tennis just isn't fun. Most of the times when a player gets a point it feels like it was because the game wasn't working in the other player's favor at the moment, whether because your movement around the court is computer controlled or because the remote reads wrong or lag, etc. I actually felt bad after getting some points because I could tell it wasn't the other player's fault they missed the ball.

I'm going to buy bowling but I think I'm skipping tennis. Mario Tennis Open on 3DS is 10 times more fun and scratches my tennis itch better.

As an aside, I really hope Sakurai keeps Namco-Bandai from making Smash's online as poor as this.

Rubixcuba

Banned
So, the whole limited interaction with the other player by the preset text comments can be pretty funny. Just played a game against a guy from New Zealand (who smashed me), after every point scored he would spam "You got served!" and "Feel the burn" ! Had a good laugh, made the eventual point I scored and my own 'trash-talk' all the greater.

How has everyone else's experience been so far?

I have a quick question if anyone could answer: I'm having friends over tomorrow to play Wii Party U and since this came out I thought of downloading it to try it with them as well.

Can I download/update the game without it counting for the free 24 hours? What triggers the free trial? I'd like to download it beforehand so we're not waiting 2 hours for it to download. Maybe I should just download it tomorrow in the afternoon so it doesn't expire in the middle of the night while we're playing lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Here our experience so far in Tennis has been more positive than negative. 70/30 4 bar matches to 3 bars or less.

When there's lag, it's really bad, but when it's smooth it is very good. The thing is I'm tempted to believe the dev team's claim that synching up to four wiimote pluses for net play is nasty business. In that sense I wouldn't worry about Smash too much yet. Different kind of game, different kind of inputs.

zroid

Banned
I had one absolutely HORRENDOUS match in Tennis about an hour ago. The bars fluctuated between orange and yellow, and it was basically a slideshow. It was pretty funny, actually (maybe because I won, lol). I thought some of the stutters in my earlier matches were bad, but this showed me what TRUE LAG is like. And it ain't pretty!

Overall though, things have been mostly fine. Not as many stutters, and I'm learning to deal with those anyway.

I have a quick question if anyone could answer: I'm having friends over tomorrow to play Wii Party U and since this came out I thought of downloading it to try it with them as well.

Can I download/update the game without it counting for the free 24 hours? What triggers the free trial? I'd like to download it beforehand so we're not waiting 2 hours for it to download. Maybe I should just download it tomorrow in the afternoon so it doesn't expire in the middle of the night while we're playing lol

The 24 hours start counting after the first time you launch it. So it's safe to download and grab the update download too (which is the much larger file). You just can't install the update data because that requires launching the game.

The 24 hours start counting after the first time you launch it. So it's safe to download and grab the update download too (which is the much larger file). You just can't install the update data because that requires launching the game.

Ah, I should download it then. Thank you!

Zing

Banned
Doing that after almost every swing is unacceptable, but sometimes feels required. It's like the game works fine sometimes and then doesn't other times. Add to that the stuttery laggy online and tennis just isn't fun. Most of the times when a player gets a point it feels like it was because the game wasn't working in the other player's favor at the moment, whether because your movement around the court is computer controlled or because the remote reads wrong or lag, etc. I actually felt bad after getting some points because I could tell it wasn't the other player's fault they missed the ball
I agree completely. I am fairly certain that many times when I score against competent players, it is due to the motion plus not being accurate. Scoring in this game is less of your skill and mostly "will he or his controls fuck up". The player movement is fine, and I think it is part of the skill in the game, but having malfunctioning controls is unacceptable. I even bought new remotes with the motion plus integrated thinking it would be more accurate.

AzaK

I downloaded and played a little tonight.

I have to say that this game is the ugliest piece of software I have seen in a long, long time. Nintendo put no time into making it look "HD" or "next-gen", or just plain interesting. As I said in the Wii Fit thread (it's the same) they could have kept the fun style but made it a little more flashy or just plain different to the old Wii Sports.

Regarding the games themselves, after playing Tennis and Bowling I don't know if I'll go back to them. I felt like I was playing a game from many years ago whose novelty as long faded. And $10 is insulting.

Oh, and the number of (A) prompts drives me nuts.

I'll try some online as that might be interesting but I'm not holding out hope.

Effect

Wow I really suck at both of these games now. I'm better at bowling but that isn't saying much. The motion is easier to pull off. I can't hit the tennis ball straight at all. I can't even making it land in the lines during the training mode. I still have time left on my free trial but if I don't improve tomorrow it's likely I won't be buying either. I was fine in the original Wii Sports with all the games. However motion plus is making all the difference but I'm wondering if it's really that or just how this game is made. My swinging in Red Steel 2 was just fine and that used motion plus. Same with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I remember Wii Sports Resort controlling a lot better as well. So I can only assume it's what they did with Wii Sports Club. At the moment I'm not liking how this feels at all.

Maybe I need to sleep on it and try again tomorrow afternoon. I should be in bed now and maybe that's the problem? Maybe my batteries are getting low and I should replace them?

web01

The controller lag problems are game breaking in tennis.
Inexcusable they launched the game like this, the asking price of each game is also excessive. Definitely a do not buy at this point in time.

goomba

Banned
Inexcusable they launched the game like this, the asking price of each game is also excessive. Definitely a do not buy at this point in time.

does the lag occur in local multiplayer?

zroid

Banned
From what I can tell, the controller "lag" happens when you move the Wiimote too fast and it loses track of where it is relative to where it should be. Generally speaking, you don't need to flail your arms and wrists about as there's plenty of time to follow through naturally. Best advice I can give for people who are having trouble is try to centre the Wiimote in front of you after every shot.

Schnozberry

I have had zero issues with the controls. I've had some laggy games, but it seemed to be more related to poor connection than anything. Most games felt surprisingly lag free. Point at your TV and press down on the d-pad to center your controller. Otherwise motion plus can spaZ out if you get too far off center. It's just the nature of accelerometer and gyroscope data being sent over the network.

Jagsrock

Banned
Game is solid.it takes some getting used to control wise so expect sucking at first however its mostly smooth sailing once you get it. I have played around 15 online matches and only 1 was unbearably laggy. The rest were excellent. Im probably only going to get tennis for now, cant wait for golf though.

goomba

Banned
just saw the big w are selling wii u premiums for au$348 (elsewhere au$428) i really wana play this online, weird how this is the game to put me over the edgez

Top Bottom