• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Taker666

I downloaded and played a little tonight.

I have to say that this game is the ugliest piece of software I have seen in a long, long time. Nintendo put no time into making it look "HD" or "next-gen", or just plain interesting. As I said in the Wii Fit thread (it's the same) they could have kept the fun style but made it a little more flashy or just plain different to the old Wii Sports.

I'm amazed Nintendo didn't allow you to take a photo of your face and map it onto the Mii's on Wii U ...it worked so well on Face Raiders 3DS when they allowed you to map faces onto the enemies and then animated the faces. Really funny.

I'm surprised Nintendo didn't make that standard for next gen Mii's as it would have really set them apart.

Face Raiders seems to be the only game they used the tech on..which is a real shame..

Effect

Regarding the wm+ controls, I think a lot of you ought to try making bigger, broader hits.

I still played the old Wii Sports semi-regularly (my father-in-law looooves it) and you could get by with just flicking your wrist a lot of the time.

I feel that in Wii Sports Club, you have to 'relearn' the controls to a certain extent - certainly I was very frustrated in the beginning but as soon as I started using the whole arm rather than just my wrist, it felt much more responsive.
That being said, I don't think it works a 100% of the time, which I still find frustrating, but 98% is a lot better than 80-90%.

I don't know if anyone has had the same experience.

Going to try that tonight while I still have time on my trial left. I don't think i was just using the wrist though.

I'm amazed Nintendo didn't allow you to take a photo of your face and map it onto the Mii's on Wii U ...it worked so well on Face Raiders 3DS when they allowed you to map faces onto the enemies and then animated the faces. Really funny.

I'm surprised Nintendo didn't make that standard for next gen Mii's as it would have really set them apart.

Face Raiders seems to be the only game they used the tech on..which is a real shame..

why would nintendo give more access to penises when they just shutdown swapnote?

Malio

I can't help but be very disappointed by this. It's basically the exact same games with Miiverse integration and online play, plus some tutorial mini games. I can't help feel this is just a cheap and easy money-grab.

Won't be paying for these, it's just too samey...I can play Wii Sports.

Exile20

I can't help but be very disappointed by this. It's basically the exact same games with Miiverse integration and online play, plus some tutorial mini games. I can't help feel this is just a cheap and easy money-grab.

Won't be paying for these, it's just too samey...I can play Wii Sports.

What were you expecting? It is a sport, just like Madden, NBA Live/2K, etc.

It is also using wii motion plus which the original didn't use.

Did you expect realistic graphics? Road to Wimbledon? special effects everywhere, render each blade of grass, etc?

zroid

Banned
I'm a liiiiiiiiittle worried I might get burned out on Tennis too fast, so I'm hesitating to pull the trigger on those $10 right now. On the other hand, I only have about 2 hours left in my trial, and I do want to keep playing today... :(

I can only get 70 in ring master. Some dude has a 151. I think he's in my Club? Dunno. All I know is that I cannot hit straight shots for crap. ):

To hit straight shots, swing when the ball is at the side of your Mii.

If facing right, swing early (ball in front) to hit to the left side of the court. Swing late (ball behind) to hit to the right side.

EDIT: Looks like I may be stuck on Star-5 for a while. I only seem to be getting around +15 points for winning now.

69wpm

EDIT: Looks like I may be stuck on Star-5 for a while. I only seem to be getting around +15 points for winning now.

BTW: How is the point system? You get less points for winning against low level opponents and it also depends how many points apart you win a game, right? I mean you get more points for winning a match 7:0 than 7:6.

BTW: How is the point system? You get less points for winning against low level opponents and it also depends how many points apart you win a game, right? I mean you get more points for winning a match 7:0 than 7:6.

Probably...never really paid much attention to it before to be honest!

OryoN

I tried the online mode late lastnight. I definitely see why people were complaining about lag. Out of about a dozen games I played, about 4 were completely lag-free, 5 were a bit choppy but playable, 1 was really awful but I managed to finish.

One match was so bad that it was like pausing a game for several seconds at a time, and I eventually lost connection to the host. One of them was like playing in slow-motion for the entire match, which actually was quite cool to be honest, since it was one consistent speed the whole time, and it was like you had super-human perception, lol. That was fun while it lasted, but damn it, I need a lag-free experience!

The controls take a bit of getting used to for the first time due to the added precision(a few sessions if practice should remedy that). So flailing around your tennis mii may work occasionally, but can get you in trouble more often than in the original game, rightly so. I like how much more precise the bowling feels now, as you'll notice during one practice mode where you'll have knock down an entire column of pins, set up along the path. The formation gets tricky, so putting some spin on the ball is a must, and finally feels 'just right'.

This game is lots of fun, especially with the whole online club thing going. This could pick up some steam, but it doesn't seem like Nintendo - in typical fashion - even cares to put any real marketing behind it. Definitely need to work on the connection experience, for sure.

I tried the online mode late lastnight. I definitely see why people were complaining about lag. Out of about a dozen games I played, about 4 were completely lag-free, 5 were a bit choppy but playable, 1 was really awful but I managed to finish.

One match was so bad that it was like pausing a game for several seconds at a time, and I eventually lost connection to the host. One of them was like playing in slow-motion for the entire match, which actually was quite cool to be honest, since it was one consistent speed the whole time, and it was like you had super-human perception, lol. That was fun while it lasted, but damn it, I need a lag-free experience!

The controls take a bit of getting used to for the first time due to the added precision(a few sessions if practice should remedy that). So flailing around your tennis mii may work occasionally, but can get you in trouble more often than in the original game, rightly so. I like how much more precise the bowling feels now, as you'll notice during one practice mode where you'll have knock down an entire column of pins, set up along the path. The formation gets tricky, so putting some spin on the ball is a must, and finally feels 'just right'.

This game is lots of fun, especially with the whole online club thing going. This could pick up some steam, but it doesn't seem like Nintendo - in typical fashion - even cares to put any real marketing behind it. Definitely need to work on the connection experience, for sure.

I think the game auto-downloading on every Wii U console is pretty significant marketing.

There's even a TV ad for it in Europe. A TV ad...for a downloadable game.

Malio

What were you expecting? It is a sport, just like Madden, NBA Live/2K, etc.

It is also using wii motion plus which the original didn't use.

Did you expect realistic graphics? Road to Wimbledon? special effects everywhere, render each blade of grass, etc?

I expected maybe a career mode in Tennis, local game tournaments to enter, maybe some modes like in Virtua Tennis, not using the EXACT same crowd sounds, and exact same court graphics (maybe clay?) Just the same shit re-hashed is just plain lazy.

Instead of choosing "Any", for an opponent, try choosing "club", and select your state, or nearby.

That sounds like it would help with avoiding laggy games.

Exile20

I expected maybe a career mode in Tennis, local game tournaments to enter, maybe some modes like in Virtua Tennis, not using the EXACT same crowd sounds, and exact same court graphics (maybe clay?) Just the same shit re-hashed is just plain lazy.

Your expectations were completely off. What in the original Wii Sports would gave you that ideal?

This is not VT in the least.

Wii Sports was all about simplicity, fun, easy to get into using the wiimote plus. It is just that simple.

Did people really expect Wii Sports to turn into Virtua Tennis? Brunswick Pro Bowling Game? Tiger Woods Golf? Fight Night?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I suck at tennis…

However if I were to buy the unlimited passes I'd likely only get tennis and bowling.

But at the same time I did buy Wii Sports Resorts for £5 in a clearance sale earlier in the year and that has Wii Motion Bowling so buy just Bowling on its own for even more doesn't seem like common sense.

I don't agree with the complaints, I'm loving this. The online works very smoothly for, despite some occasional slight lag. Overall it's very good online. The price is fine to me, and the fact that I get credit through nintendo's ddp with every eSHOP purchase makes this a no brainer for me.

I reallllly want the other sports though. Have they mentioned when they'll be coming?

Mitsurux

Bought both Bowling and Tennis, and have been having alot of fun (Go Michigan Club!).

Played about 25 online tennis matches and besides a small hiccup here and there lag has only been a real issue for me in two matches, on with a person from Wold Club (it was a slideshow), and another that started out fine, then all of a sudden just began to lag extremely bad near the end of the match.

The Mii verse implementation is cool, but i do fine it odd that in bowling you cannot bring an additional player (or 2 or 3) with you to an online game...

GulAtiCa

Really enjoy playing Bowling last night. Played only a few online matches, 1 in bowling, and 2 in tennis. Didn't notice any lag. The 100 bowling pin game set is really fun. Glad they brought that back and made it into full game now.

Though, the 1 person I played in Tennis was kind a douche. Keep throwing the ball up in the air and letting it drop, doing that 5 times before actually serving it.

Visually... The game is kinda fuzzy and not so pretty on my TV. I hope they improve that in the future. Weird to go from Wii Fit U, which looks really nice, to this which doesn't really.

Schnozberry

Just played a few online matches inside the US With Tennis and it seemed to be much better than those I played internationally yesterday. Long ping times must wreak havoc on the amount of data they are sending with the remotes.

On a side note, I taught my 3 year old how to play Bowling yesterday, and she's so excited about it that she wanted to take her pink Wii Remote to daycare this morning "in case she went bowling". I can't remember smiling and laughing harder in my life.

I played Tennis and Bowling last night. Tennis was meh, don't really have enough room to make it work correctly. Bowling was fantastic! Zero lag with four people, really close game too.

One thing I've noticed from Wii Sports Club (and MoHun, CoD, etc) is that Nintendo's online community is really nice. Every time someone got a strike in bowling, everyone was hammering those good job buttons.

Celine

Get your act together northeast italy, a third of your victories are mine.

Got a few great match tonight, Sidd (nortwest Italy) if you read GAF you played really well.
Got my first ragequit too, shitty lag but Chris from UK disconnected only after I beat his ass.

jmls1121

Banned
I played Tennis and Bowling last night. Tennis was meh, don't really have enough room to make it work correctly. Bowling was fantastic! Zero lag with four people, really close game too.

One thing I've noticed from Wii Sports Club (and MoHun, CoD, etc) is that Nintendo's online community is really nice. Every time someone got a strike in bowling, everyone was hammering those good job buttons.

I LOVE the Miiverse and online community. I just hope it stays this way when the userbase grows.

Iwata has publicly stated that they were worried that Miiverse would turn into a cruel place. Anouma has said he has been brought to tears by some of the supportive comments he has read on the Zelda community board.

Schnozberry

I LOVE the Miiverse and online community. I just hope it stays this way when the userbase grows.

Iwata has publicly stated that they were worried that Miiverse would turn into a cruel place. Anouma has said he has been brought to tears by some of the supportive comments he has read on the Zelda community board.

It's pretty admirable how much Nintendo has gone out their way to make sure these online games are enjoyable for a family audience. I know some people find it restricting, but honestly, get over it. I couldn't imagine if I had to take my wife online as a tennis partner on Xbox Live and subject her to that heinous bile pit. She'd quit after one game.

That and boxing probably last. That's what it sounded like at least. Boxing is probably the hardest sport to get the lag right.

I think your right. Golf, baseball, then boxing.

I'm starting to wonder if these games are to fill in the gap between 3d world to dk. If so, we should have all five by the end of January, or so.

Schnozberry

so, i pay $10 and get all of the wii sports club games forever? sounds like a good deal. is there a catch to that?

$10 per sport for a lifetime pass. At first I thought it was high, and then I remembered I paid $11 for two coffees that morning for myself and my wife, and those lasted about an hour.

I will be trying this late tonight or tomorrow night into Sunday, I have been waiting for the perfect time to enjoy the 24 hour demo the most I can.

On a side note, I taught my 3 year old how to play Bowling yesterday, and she's so excited about it that she wanted to take her pink Wii Remote to daycare this morning "in case she went bowling". I can't remember smiling and laughing harder in my life.

Great another little Nintendo fan!!

It is a great feeling, have a 7 y/o kid and 9 y/o girl myself. Playing Nintendo Land with them is a blast, this will be great too.

jmizzal

Only Tennis and Boxing are games where lag could effect it, bowling, golf and baseball for the most part wont be affected at all with lag.

So far I have had fun with it, I will buy tennis, and play bowling with the free trials, I wanna try out the other games to see which I will buy.

Its a 10 buck game, i'm sure there are games that cost more then that people will spend way less time playing that cost more, the price is fine other wise just dont buy it.

Jackano

That f***ing game!
Just played for a good hour (online tennis only)...
I didn't make that much sport this year, that sweat... Hell didn't make that much sport since Wii Sports on Wii!

But indeed, update 1.3 will need to be matchmaking related because it will quickly become an absolute necessity to improve/complexify.
Oh, and the lag... Paris<->South of Spain is laggy, seriously?

Sanic

I thought these were supposed to autodownload, but when I turned on my Wii U earlier there was nothing there. Am I going crazy or did I really read that somewhere?

jmls1121

Banned
It's pretty admirable how much Nintendo has gone out their way to make sure these online games are enjoyable for a family audience. I know some people find it restricting, but honestly, get over it. I couldn't imagine if I had to take my wife online as a tennis partner on Xbox Live and subject her to that heinous bile pit. She'd quit after one game.

I can't even go on it myself. I'm just sick of it. I'm a gamer because I like to have fun. Getting racial and homophobic slurs tossed my way is not fun.

jmizzal

I thought these were supposed to autodownload, but when I turned on my Wii U earlier there was nothing there. Am I going crazy or did I really read that somewhere?

I was told it didnt do the autodownload until about 6 days after it launched in Japan, so I guess they are waiting for people to get it first, then put it on the other people WiiU's who didnt get it. Some people may not know its a free trail, and some people may dont even know the game is out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
then I remembered I paid $11 for two coffees that morning for myself and my wife, and those lasted about an hour.
Good way of putting it. I mean if you want to get all the stamps you'll likely have to put quite a bit of time into it.

Crazy thing to do if have a tennis match against yourself. I'm surprised the game lets you do that.

So I tried playing against the CPU in tennis for the first time this morning, and it matched me against a Star-10 team or something (I'm star-5), and it was unbelievably ridiculous. I swear the players were able to run faster than mine.

The_Lump

Banned
Downloaded last night to check it out for a few mins....Played for an hour and a half :/

Bowling with 'friends' is great, wish I had more flexability with my smack talk though - makes me look like some kinda 'good sportsman' or somthing.

Also no lag at all here, for any concerned.

kizmah

Just purchased tennis. Add me (kizmah) to your roster of friends and enjoy a beating served from East Sweden.

jmizzal

Downloaded last night to check it out for a few mins....Played for an hour and a half :/

Bowling with 'friends' is great, wish I had more flexability with my smack talk though - makes me look like some kinda 'good sportsman' or somthing.

Also no lag at all here, for any concerned.

You can create your own smack talk in online banter, lol gives you a lil more options

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Man, this game is cool and all, but it feels like there's a lot more they could have done in terms of the online features. I really wish that bowling had team play first of all, but both games could really use a tournament system. I'd go so far as to say Nintendo needs to look into building one to release as a patch for this game down the line, cuz it could really push the social aspect of the game even further. Bowling tournies with thousands of players sounds like a dream to me. I wish Nintendo wasn't so terrified of the Internet, there is just so much untapped potential there.

Top Bottom