• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club |OT| Get your Miiverse trash-talk on

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Do we think they will add the sports from Resort eventually?

It's hard to see them charging $9.99 for each individual sport if they do.

Do we think they will add the sports from Resort eventually?

It's hard to see them charging $9.99 for each individual sport if they do.

Good question.

More sports are definitely coming.
untitledbkunc.png

If they stay with just these 5 sports it will look something like: 5 X 9.99 = 49.95 <- Price of full game I guess

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did you get them online or offline?
Offline. Would likely be impossible to get the 10x deuce online.

In some ways I prefer local play with the CPU simply because you can have some really nice long rallies going on and you have to get some well aimed shots to win.

Celine

So I tried playing against the CPU in tennis for the first time this morning, and it matched me against a Star-10 team or something (I'm star-5), and it was unbelievably ridiculous. I swear the players were able to run faster than mine.
So they are super cheater like in wii sports.

Just git em.
Lost 5-7.
Those bitches took 3 consecutive power smash in opposite angles without much troubles.

The only way to win is to use max spin on everything, service included.
Problem is in this version to get the max angle you often incur in a bad shot (then you ll been punished with a power smash),

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played today 8 matches, none with horrible lag. Only one of them with a little bit of lag, but not game-breaking. I like the fact that people start using custom or different call-outs, makes it even more fun.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well before my trial ran out I made sure to pull this off at least once:

ibkRmbLMbcxQNZ.jpg

The 100 pin secret.

EhoaVash

played 4 matches or so, 2 of them had horrible lag so i had to turn the wii u off twice >.<
the other 2 was perfect. ..I wasn't really a fan of bowling in the orignal wii sports nor am I in this game,..but I did mange to a strike on my first try lol. and it's kind of is fun to play with others. ..I'm not sure what the wii motion + added to bowling ._. Tennis is what I expected it to be, wii motion + did add that 1:1 but it still felt same to me as wii sports. I won the matches where there wasn't lag. but meh, I don't think i'll play this game again unless I wan to impress people who are visiting and it's $1.99 price is perfect for that.

also the miiverse usage kind of sucks.

Celine

Beat the two champion girls.
Got the Ace of aces stamp.

My suggestion?
Play to 'not lose', not 'to win'.
They will catch everything so be afraid not to do mistakes instead.
Also services with spin and mixing short and long shots are your friends.
Last but not least don't be afraid to use an high shot to surpass the forward girl or else she will catch almost every shot you throw in the other side.

iNcikTWeAstiz.jpg

Beat the two champion girls.
Got the Ace of aces stamp.

My suggestion?
Play to 'not lose', not 'to win'.
They will catch everything so be afraid not to do mistakes instead.
Also services with spin and mixing short and long shots are your friends.
Last but not least don't be afraid to use an high shot to surpass the forward girl or else she will catch almost every shot you throw in the other side.

iNcikTWeAstiz.jpg

I find it harder to put spin on the ball in general, but I've never even tried to do it while serving. I did wonder if it were possible.

Celine

I find it harder to put spin on the ball in general, but I've never even tried to do it while serving. I did wonder if it were possible.
It's very easy to spin shots ( rotate from low to high).
Services could be done with spin even in the original.
It's useful because it can throw off the opponent timing.

It's very easy to spin shots ( rotate from low to high).
Services could be done with spin even in the original.
It's useful because it can throw off the opponent timing.

Yeh, I'm not getting as much spin as I'd like (especially forehand). Time to practice I guess!

I feel like it's a lot harder to be consistent in bowling with the Wiimotion Plus than it was in the OG Wii Sports. My wife can score 221 one game, but then 130 the next despite the fact that she does the same shot every single frame. It's the same with me. But in the original, we were able to get 200+ just about every single game.

Celine

Yeh, I'm not getting as much spin as I'd like (especially forehand). Time to practice I guess!
Try to (forehand):
- hit the ball late so aim for the right side of the court (the later the more effect you get usually).
- start from a -45 grade angle ( with the remote) then then spin to +45 angle. The quicker the more spin you get.

Lachie007

played one match of online tennis (I won, yay!) Was super laggy though

Hopefully it was just the guy i was playin.

Add me Lachie007 in australia

Try to (forehand):
- hit the ball late so aim for the right side of the court (the later the more effect you get usually).
- start from a -45 grade angle ( with the remote) then then spin to +45 angle. The quicker the more spin you get.

I'll try that, thanks.

HeySeuss

I feel like it's a lot harder to be consistent in bowling with the Wiimotion Plus than it was in the OG Wii Sports. My wife can score 221 one game, but then 130 the next despite the fact that she does the same shot every single frame. It's the same with me. But in the original, we were able to get 200+ just about every single game.

As it should be. People figured out ways to flick the wiimote a certain way to get a strike every time. Motion plus eliminates this "cheat" so to speak and makes it more realistic.

HeySeuss

Why is there an option to "change opponent" after an online match when it's not even possible to play the same person again? Seems rather redundant.

Exile20

I just had a few games with bowling and Tennis.

Bowling:
In one game this guy was doing the slow bowl and was either getting a strike or 1 pin left. It was annoying as hell. When people are actually bowling properly then it is fun and tense but when they are doing that slow bowl crap then I just hate it.

I also hate those people that keeps screwing up their bowls and not letting go of B or too soon. I am not sure if they are doing it on purpose but it is frustrating. You do it three times the ball should just leave your hand for sure.

Tennis:
I just had a tense game of tennis with this guy. We were going back and back constantly until I finally got the win. There are a lot of nuances to tennis now and I can see it will take time to get used to it.

I like the club feature, it is skewed right now but will hopefully straighten itself out as time goes on.

Why is there an option to "change opponent" after an online match when it's not even possible to play the same person again? Seems rather redundant.

lol it's not an option really, it's just the "play another game against someone else because there's no rematch" button.

Thankfully, you can rematch when playing friends.

LevityNYC

Banned
Its really fun despite Nintendo's best efforts to screw up everything but the actual game.

For example, there's no way to invite your friends to a game. There's no lobby system. There's no way to actually communicate with the in the game. All you can do it just press the d-pad for some predetermined text.

Worst of all, there's no way to actually quit or back out of an online game. For example if someone dropped or if you accidentally started trying to matchmake a different game type, you literally have to turn your Wii U off and on or just sit around and wait for the game to think you are non responsive and kick you out. You can't access any type of menu system during a game. You can't bring up the Wii U menu in game. You can't access the miiverse in game.

Jesus, I wish Nintendo would just admit they have no idea what they are doing with online stuff and hire some company to help them.

This worries me for Smash Brothers and Mario Kart.

Yep. Same with Tennis. The original controls were much better. Wiimotion+ would be nice if i you hadn´t to recalibrate every round in tennis or every 5 throws in bowling.

Its really fun despite Nintendo's best efforts to screw up everything but the actual game.

For example, there's no way to invite your friends to a game. There's no lobby system. There's no way to actually communicate with the in the game. All you can do it just press the d-pad for some predetermined text.

Worst of all, there's no way to actually quit or back out of an online game. For example if Kirbu dropped or if you accidentally started trying to matchmake a different game type, you literally have to turn your Wii U off and on or just sit around and wait for the game to think you are non responsive and kick you out. You can't access any type of menu system during a game. You can't bring up the Wii U menu in game. You can't access the miiverse in game.

Jesus, I wish Nintendo would just admit they have no idea what they are doing with online stuff and hire some company to help them.

Isn't that what Namco is for? They worked on this game.

(And are working on Smash too).

I wouldn't worry about MK at all.

oatmeal

Banned
The gamepad has a sensor bar on it for a wiimote pointing at it as the screen.

But it's not always enabled..for some reason, forcing you to use the sensor bar (which isn't practical for me since I run it on a projector and everything is at the back of the room).

But it's not always enabled..for some reason, forcing you to use the sensor bar (which isn't practical for me since I run it on a projector and everything is at the back of the room).

He means it only works when using the Gamepad as the primary screen, i.e. off tv play.

Daknight

Play two matches online. Sadly they were lagging :( I have a 2MB connection and Mass Effect 3 plays perfectly so not sure why it would lag. Still had fun, was playing with my brother againts two others.

Puerto Rico Club!!! All an his...7 member glory! :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But you can play without sensor bar at list tennis. You disable sensor bar aim assist in options and whenever you get the prompt to direct your remote at screen and press A you can press D-pad down instead.

D-e-f-

Banned

The funny thing is that it's exactly what they did for this game ;)

LocalE

Have you looked into getting a wireless sensor bar?

He means it only works when using the Gamepad as the primary screen, i.e. off tv play.

Right, and also stuff like the Golf game we're going to get. Where there is a sensor bar for the TV and a sensor bar for the Gamepad. Both are registered, and it knows which one you are pointing at at any given time.

Woke up this morning and my right bicep is rock hard without even having to flex it....yeh, I think it's time to dive into some bowling..

LevityNYC

Banned
Have you looked into getting a wireless sensor bar?

Right, and also stuff like the Golf game we're going to get. Where there is a sensor bar for the TV and a sensor bar for the Gamepad. Both are registered, and it knows which one you are pointing at at any given time.

use the D-pad

Something must be wrong with your Wiimote, honestly.

I have 3 remotes with m+. 2 addons and new one. It's always the same. It was even worse in Wii Sports Resort. It's still working but it's loosing it's center quite quickly. Result? Constant recentering with d-pad down. same with Nintendo land.

Celine

Won 7-2
Put 'em to shame.

ipBWEz3OPPqjf.jpg

Net code is really bad though.
Had good connection with germany and shitty ones within my own country.

Match that started with four bars, later enda
up with one for then returning to four.

Makes no sense at all.
A damn shame, it's painfull going through a slideshow...

Exile20

Worst of all, there's no way to actually quit or back out of an online game. For example if someone dropped or if you accidentally started trying to matchmake a different game type, you literally have to turn your Wii U off and on or just sit around and wait for the game to think you are non responsive and kick you out. You can't access any type of menu system during a game. You can't bring up the Wii U menu in game. You can't access the miiverse in game.

I know it is cool to say things like "Har har Nintendo does not understand the internet"

First things first parents trust Nintendo far more than Sony or Microsoft put together. Nintendo knows there are a lot of kids that play their systems and so they put in designs for this. Yes there are perental controls but that didn't prevent the swapnote incident.

With the issue that they had with swapnote there is a reason there is no voice or typing communication here. Voice will only add more lag to the games and sending text can open up Wii Sports to pedophiles and abusive players especially since this is a sports game. When do you even need to communicate in tennis? between serves?

I like that there is no way to back out of playing online. I hate force quitters with a passion and it hurts the overall community. I also like that you can't pull up menu's and what not. This can lead to people not playing when they have to. When do you have time in Tennis to do anything but play? In bowling there is time between plays but still. I want the game to flow from player to player instead of some person who is on miiverse or internet and not playing. Atleast the wiimote chimes if you are away from the tv to indicate it is your turn but how would that work when you are in a completely different app?

So please stop this Nintendo does not know online crap. They intentionally designed it that way.

Macleoid

Just got this today and didn't realise it was different to OG wii sports tennis. First game was with my (nearly) 3 year old and she scored more points than me...

I see late night intensive practice sessions in my near future.

Top Bottom