• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

I'm assuming the Wii U mass production already began
Wonder what will be included in the box

my bet of course:

- Wii U console
- Wii U Gamepad & battery
- Wii U Gamepad charger/cradle
- AV Cable
- Power brick
- Manuals and documentation
- Preloaded games

--------------------------------------

In my dream fairytale world lol:

- Wii U console
- Wii U Gamepad & battery
- Wii U Gamepad charger/cradle
- HDMI Cable
- AV Cable
- Power brick
- Wiimote and Nunchuk
- Wii Sensor Bar and Stand
- Manuals and documentation
- Preloaded games
- Pack in NintendoLand game

Drago

What I want included:

Console
Game Pad
Game Pad Pro (lol)
Wiimote+Nunchuck (lol)
HDMI cable (lol)
AV Cables
Power Brick
NintendoLand
Game Pad cradle
Manuals

jmizzal

Will Buy
Batman AC
Mass Effect 3
ZombiU
Madden 13
NBA 2K13
Pikmin 3
NSMBU
Aliens CM
COD:BO2

Buying on Price drop
Scribblenauts U

Maybe
AC 3

E-Shop
Ghost Recon Online

I think a sensor bar will definitely be included with the wii u since nintendo is pushing for local multiplayer using wiimotes. Atleast the wii remotes can be sold separately but nobody is going to go out their way to hunt down a sensor bar to play local multiplayer on the wii u. If nintendo is serious about this anti-alone together stuff they really need to include a sensor bar atleast

HylianTom

Banned
I'm thinking of the launch window when listing these games. With the Wii, I went a bit overboard and spent about $750 on Launch Day.. something I'd like to avoid this time around.

Definitely buying ASAP:
New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
ZombiU
My Little Inferno

Possibly Buying:
Darksiders 2
Scribblenauts: Unlimited
Assassin's Creed 3
Batman: Arkham City
Project P-100
Rayman Legends

I'll try to keep it down to three games on Launch Day this time, but a good number of these games will find their way to my collection at some point. I'm pretty finicky about what I buy and I have a penchant for replaying my old games over and over again (that's weird.. right?), so if I end-up with 20 good games by the end of this upcoming generation, I'll be quite a happy camper.

I was going to chime in on that as well as I don't see it being used as a texture cache. IMO if anything it will be a pseudo-L3 cache if devs choose not to use it exclusively as a framebuffer.
You can still be very creative with it. A big framebuffer is never too much so the kind of offscreen framebuffer rendering Donkey Kong Country Returns uses becomes more viable along with stuff like rendering extra image/light masks making pseudo-HDR and the like very cheap (thinking SotC here), layered rendering, shadow sampling and blurring, and possibly even acelerating effects like fur shading (since that effect basically repeats a very simple texture in various passages through polygon shells; it's bandwidth and fillrate dependent and doing it on the framebuffer could be cheap and spare RAM bandwidth as opposed to do it on the main RAM bank); also in the advent of sub-HD games a big framebuffer could allow the game to be upscaled and the HUD/fonts to be applied on top (as an extra passage), instead of rescaled along with the whole image preventing image degradation/sub-HD being so obvious.

And I'm sure there are other clever uses possible.

But it's certainly for assisting features and alternative GPU channel-feeding of smaller things (like you said: cache) rather than streaming.
Also FS's post made me think back to when I brought up S3TC and it's usage, but I didn't get much info to satisfy what I was trying to figure out so maybe you can chime in on this. Do you see it as a viable implementation into the GPU for Wii U and if so how would it benefit a modern hardware environment? Nintendo renewed their license a couple years ago.
Nintendo probably licensed S3TC themselves back in 2010 because 3DS GPU, the Pica200 originally didn't have S3TC texture compression compatibility. I don't know if the final one does, but it's regarded as a custom implementation and made a lot of sense to do so (both for cartridge and ram economy).

As for the Wii U, it's definitely in as every ATi GPU has it, that and post enhancements like 3Dc (BC4 and BC5). Hopefully also BC6 and BC7 who were implemented recently with the DirectX 11 standard as a means to make it future proof.

This is a good article to catch up.

S3TC itself is BC1, BC2 and BC3, hasn't been updated since 1999 but it's still the basis for everything related to texture compression. 3Dc's implementation (BC4 and 5) are only used for normal maps, and BC6 and 7 are pretty much unknown to most developers still (BC6 being for HDR and BC7 being the new high quality state of art compression method).
Fair enough on the 1 gigabit GDDR3 chips (was it you who I debated this with before?). However, even if they did go w/ GDDR3, that's still 12 chips for 1.5 GB or 16 chips for 2 GB. It's completely unfeasible.
No, wasn't me

Fairly sure they won't go higher than 8 chips though.
I appreciated your framebuffer analysis. I'm not knowledgeable enough on how texture caching works to say any more about it. All I know is that Gamecube and Wii used it to store commonly used textures (ground textures, for example)
Technically, not the framebuffer.

Gamecube and Wii had 3 MB 1T-SRAM embedded, 2 MB framebuffer and a 1 MB texture buffer. The framebuffer was pretty short as is hence the dreadful amounts of dithering we had to deal with (rendering 640x480 with Z-buffer takes 2.3 MB per frame) that's one of the reasons Anti-Aliasing on the GC/Wii wasn't widespread at all. No sane developer would take that 2 MB pool and use it for textures.

But they had a 1 MB buffer for it and since they had it, might as well use it. Speaking of which, pretty sure the Fur Shading we've seen somewhat extensively on the GC/Wii (Starfox Adventures, Donkey Konga, Mario Galaxy 1/2, Madden, Metroid Other M) was done by storing the repeating texture in that 1 MB buffer.

Though, I do agree with Fourth Storm that everything seems to be pointing in a "Wii U will have DDR3" ram direction

I would love for Nintendo to pop some GDDR5 in there instead (heck I'd love them to power the entire system up a little bit) but it doesn't seem like Nintendo will go down that route with the Wii U

RAM could change last minute though, but those days are numbered.

It could become a legitimate cost thing, and Nintendo could simply be banking on competent developers figuring out a way to exploit the Wii U's larger amount of ram and utilizing tech wizardry to get the most out of the graphics.

It seems unlikely, but even after all this, I'm still leaving the option for GDDR5 open. It's possible Nintendo might include 800 Mhz GDDR5, as AMD did on the e6760. The last actual rumblings I've heard on RAM type were last year, and since then, we've heard of the GPU becoming more "2012," which would hopefully include some 2012-worthy VRAM. Remember also, last year Nintendo were still entertaining the possibility of 1 GB total system RAM. At that amount, 25.6 GB/s makes more sense. At 2 GB, it starts to look ridiculous, so perhaps they did switch it earlier this year.

The back and forth is maddening, I know. :p

Technically, not the framebuffer.

Gamecube and Wii had 3 MB 1T-SRAM embedded, 2 MB framebuffer and a 1 MB texture buffer. The framebuffer was pretty short as is hence the dreadful amounts of dithering we had to deal with (rendering 640x480 with Z-buffer takes 2.3 MB per frame) that's one of the reasons Anti-Aliasing on the GC/Wii wasn't widespread at all. No sane developer would take that 2 MB pool and use it for textures.

But they had a 1 MB buffer for it and since they had it, might as well use it.

Poor wording on my part. I meant to say that Gamecube and Wii had a 1 MB texture cache. You're right, that was separate from the framebuffer and in a different location on the die.

HylianTom

Banned
It's a pretty slow day today in this thread.
The typical post-E3, mid-summer, pre-pre-Launch window details time frame.. people are out living on this lovely Saturday night, or - *gasp!* - playing video games. Now is a great time for N-fans to wrap-up any end-of-generation gaming loose ends they may have.

But as we draw closer and closer, the hype level will render Nintendo fiends less and less able to concentrate on other things, as anticipation begins to fester more and more. It'll be a magical time period. So much potential ahead. So many games on the horizon. Visions of camping lines and new controllers and shopping bags and gaming vacation junk foods will dance in our heads..

I'm ready for summer to be over. :/

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

brainpann

Not sure if im imagining this but this Pikmin 3 footage from Comic Con (I think it's from Comic Con) looks like it's had some improvements compared to what was at E3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gv235KQdgf8#!

So it looks like a couple things have been slightly improved, including lighting (the fish/bug things seems to have a light glow) and textures. The boss's textures have been improved if you go back and compare to the E3 build.

These are the same improvements that Zombie U more or less has and in the same time frame. What gives? Is it just a coincidence?

It seems unlikely, but even after all this, I'm still leaving the option for GDDR5 open. It's possible Nintendo might include 800 Mhz GDDR5, as AMD did on the e6760. The last actual rumblings I've heard on RAM type were last year, and since then, we've heard of the GPU becoming more "2012," which would hopefully include some 2012-worthy VRAM. Remember also, last year Nintendo were still entertaining the possibility of 1 GB total system RAM. At that amount, 25.6 GB/s makes more sense. At 2 GB, it starts to look ridiculous, so perhaps they did switch it earlier this year.

Hopefully, RAM bandwidth was such a bottleneck this generation that I really hope they avoid it or at least improve on it. It's one of the things that has to be better than this gen's.
Poor wording on my part. I meant to say that Gamecube and Wii had a 1 MB texture cache. You're right, that was separate from the framebuffer and in a different location on the die.
Nevertheless if you have free memory on the framebuffer you can use it for that. The unified configuration being much better than the GC/Wii configuration for the liberty and straightforwardness it allows; although being on separate banks I'm sure they could hog the full bandwidth for texture spamming, which was nice (but 1 MB was minimal, it was probably extensively used for effects like the aforementioned fur shading and the EMBM water effects; stuff that benefited from being direct-fed but texture-wise didn't have a lot of resolution).

Kinda pumped for what Nintendo might be able to do with it based on their previous experience now.

Not sure if im imagining this but this Pikmin 3 footage from Comic Con (I think it's from Comic Con) looks like it's had some improvements compared to what was at E3.

Just watched that in 1080p it is animated really well and there is something about it that just feels so fluid I don't know what they changed from the e3 build but things seem to pop out more if you know what i mean. It doesn't look as flat.

nordique

quite :p

but if that were the case (that they did switch to GDDR5), surely we would know by now

If it ends up with GDDR5 I wont be shocked because like lostinblue i do expect Nintendo to only go with the best ram

but given everything we have heard, it points to DDR3

jacksrb

I think a sensor bar will definitely be included with the wii u since nintendo is pushing for local multiplayer using wiimotes. Atleast the wii remotes can be sold separately but nobody is going to go out their way to hunt down a sensor bar to play local multiplayer on the wii u. If nintendo is serious about this anti-alone together stuff they really need to include a sensor bar atleast

For sure there will be a sensor bar in the box. Beyond being required to meet the Wii backwards compatibility, I think the Wii U Gamepad uses it as a reference point for many of its magic tricks.

TNow is a great time for N-fans to wrap-up any end-of-generation gaming loose ends they may have.

Very true. I am trying to clear up some 3DS backlog stuff including:
- Finishing Kid Icarus Uprising
- Finishing world S8 in SM3D Land
- Finishing Metroid Fusion
- Playing newly purchased Mighty Mighty Switch Force from this weekend's sale ($2.99)

Only Wii game I need to finish is Epic Mickey, but I don't know if I will ever do it...

brainpann

Had Nintendo been able to show Pikmin 3 and Zombie U in their current build, I think some of negative talk would have been avoided post E3.

Still not seeing the Wiiness of Pikmin 3. It's certainly not pushing the system to its limits and the grass textures leave something to be desired, but it's obvious a good amount of development was done on Wii U.

Meelow

Banned
Still not seeing the Wiiness of Pikmin 3. It's certainly now pushing the system to its limits and the grass textures leave something to be desired, but it's obvious a good amount of development was done on Wii U.

I don't think Pikmin 3 is pushing the Wii U.

Wait what?.

Was saying not instead of now.

I'm confused now.

Still not seeing the Wiiness of Pikmin 3. It's certainly not pushing the system to its limits and the grass textures leave something to be desired, but it's obvious a good amount of development was done on Wii U.

I think this shot of Pikmin 3 looks really nice and the DoF effect certainly hides a lot of graphical shortcomings

wiiu_pikmin3_2_scrn05_e3.jpg

ArynCrinn

Banned
It'll be pretty interesting to see if Nintendo uses the DoF effect to create more creative and deep level design, maybe even involving the Gamepad screen, slight of hand exploration type tricks. It would certainly be a actual use for central gameplay rather than a simple graphical candy bar. Moving to a HD platform would heighten the applications for it.

I just want to get this straight- someone saying that the clock speed on the CPU is currently running lower than on other consoles really means he is saying that the console is weaker than the other ones?

Just take a minute and make sure that is what you are trying to say.

When he directly compares the situation to the ps3 saying it has nothing to do with optimization, & has to find other "creative ways" for the purpose of making a port, then yeah.

Would he be be saying the same thing if he was porting a 360/PS3 game to the 720/PS4?

ugoo18

Just watched that in 1080p it is animated really well and there is something about it that just feels so fluid I don't know what they changed from the e3 build but things seem to pop out more if you know what i mean. It doesn't look as flat.

Yeah i definitely noticed that with the cracks in the middle of the wooden log as well as the grass.

eh, what? I love old school RE, but ZombiU doesn't look anything like it. The games were never really that much about the zombies anyway, but being trapped in crazy-ass structures with monsters in it.
ZombiU seems to be going for the most typical zombie setting (except... in Britain) in the vein of DayZ and such, regarding gameplay.

I meant in terms of it actually being a survival horror rather than an action game. And whilst Resident Evil games weren't about the zombies they were about surviving against seemingly insurmountable odds with limited resources. The last 2 Resident Evil games had waaaaay too much ammo, and I suspect that number 6 will be the same - gone are the days where you were in a state of panic because you'd run out of ammo and forced desperately to use your blade.

It's looking like ZombiU is going to have that same sort of panic involved, I found it very tense just watching the gameplay when we saw it for the very first time...going to make sure I have clean boxer shorts handy before I play it lololol.

I don't know if it's mental suggestion at work or what, but yeah, that looks a lot better to me! It looks great.

I looked at some of that guy's other vids from Comic Con and I don't know if it's because his videos are sharper and more colorful than others, but check this out:

http://youtu.be/ZszZBo33KII

NSMBU looks fantastic to me now! I was kind of ho-hum on it before. It looks super colorful, but I'm also noticing some things I didn't in the E3 videos, like the character models and the blocks and objects looking a little more 3D? I don't know. And the lighting seems better, too. Look at how the light from those big rotating stars lights up Mario's model. That's cool.

But maybe I'm imagining things. Either way, I'm a lot more excited for NSMBU now :)

japtor

someone has told that the deadpool's game will arrive on wiiu?
It was a misinterpretation, they were talking about the Avengers game already announced. I don't think any systems have been announced for Deadpool yet.
NSMBU looks fantastic to me now! I was kind of ho-hum on it before. It looks super colorful, but I'm also noticing some things I didn't in the E3 videos, like the character models and the blocks and objects looking a little more 3D? I don't know. And the lighting seems better, too. Look at how the light from those big rotating stars lights up Mario's model. That's cool.

But maybe I'm imagining things. Either way, I'm a lot more excited for NSMBU now :)
I remember the star light shading from E3 screenshots at least, don't remember if it was as noticeable elsewhere though.

The best quality off-screen footage I've seen for Pikmin to compare it to is Nint World Report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzVcxwgTVo&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk6PTSlrYE&feature=plcp

Looks the same to me, beautiful, but would be nice to see the textures on the floor updated.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Outside of the DOF Pikmin 3 looks like a current generation game through and through, and not an overly impressive one. But only on a technical level. Art, colours and vibrancy look gorgeous, and coupled with the solid framerate and DOF it looks really lovely in motion.

As I've said though, I do feel its Wii origins show through, particularly in geometry complexity. I'm definitely keen to see how the build is coming along. Galaxy's first reveal was missing a lot of textures and effects that came later.

P-100 is the most impressive looking game so far, I feel.

Cheers.

Do you think they've fixed the texture pop problem in Batman yet? Not sure I can tell much from that.

Outside of the DOF Pikmin 3 looks like a current generation game through and through, and not an overly impressive one. But only on a technical level. Art, colours and vibrancy look gorgeous, and coupled with the solid framerate and DOF it looks really lovely in motion.

As I've said though, I do feel its Wii origins show through, particularly in geometry complexity. I'm definitely keen to see how the build is coming along. Galaxy's first reveal was missing a lot of textures and effects that came later.

P-100 is the most impressive looking game so far, I feel.
Made a screenshot from the video above. ^^

Direct link

The_Lump

Banned
It looks way too intrusive for my taste. It's all over the place. Doesn't make any sense in some areas of this screenshot

It's bound to look like that from a screenshot, because in a still image you're looking at the whole picture, your eye isn't being drawn to one particular point. In motion, you're eye is more focused on the centre of the action, which the DOF is surrounding. Watch a video and you'll see it works very well in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom