• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriGen

Hopefully the NDA will end after the 3DS XL releases.

I'm thinking we will get a Wii U oriented Nintendo Direct at the latest two weeks after the XL launches. That would take it to early September which seems like the time to release big information for a November launch. Places like Game Stop won't even take pre-orders until the price or date gets announced and it seems like Nintendo would want the Wii U campaign to begin at retailers by the first week of September at the latest.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I am posting in this thread more because things I have heard about game-wise have gotten me from "I guess I'll get it someday" to "Huh, I kind of really want this now."
Half-Life 3, Shenmue III, Thornado?! Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Seriously though, nice that someone is "talking". This Nintendo Douchebag Agenda (NDA) is starting to become really irritating. And my attempts at getting information have failed, and I really don't want to resort to "other" methods. Hopefully we got some more information from the investor briefing today/tomorrow.

Sadist

I am posting in this thread more because things I have heard about game-wise have gotten me from "I guess I'll get it someday" to "Huh, I kind of really want this now."
sweetjesus.jpg

I'm happy with this bone. Really? Really.

Rösti;40254830 said:
Hopefully we got some more information from the investor briefing today/tomorrow.
I believe there is no meeting scheduled for tomorrow.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Thanks, I'll take it! I suppose anything more specific could cause some trouble.

I'm *guessing* this is primarily from Japanese pubs?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I believe there is no meeting scheduled for tomorrow.
There's usually ("always") an investor briefing, a presentation and Q&A session, connected to the earnings release. I wasn't sure of the time, so that's what I wrote like that.

What Father_Brain wrote about this:

The investor briefing is always the day after (JST) the earnings release, by 16-17 hours or so.

Earnings release is early tomorrow morning EDT; briefing is tomorrow night EDT.

Thanks, I'll take it! I suppose anything more specific could cause some trouble.

I'm *guessing* this is primarily from Japanese pubs?

Mostly but not entirely.

Hmm, but what are your tastes in games?

I like most things but I'm not always excited. If the primary concern of Wii development was that it was all B-teams working on casual games, I do not think this is the case with the Wii U (aside from the ports) right now.

schuelma

Mostly but not entirely.

I like most things but I'm not always excited. If the primary concern of Wii development was that it was all B-teams working on casual games, I do not think this is the case with the Wii U (aside from the ports) right now.

This is killing me.

I'll ask one more question you may or may not answer- you've been very pessimistic in the past about 3rd party support once PS4/720 hits- has that opinion changed based on what you know, or not.

The_Lump

Banned
I didn't really get anything positive from that interview tbh, if the game looked or ran any better than the PS360 counterparts Nintendo would be allowing developers to talk about it.

As is i think all the cross platform games Wii U will be getting will look and play near identical to their PS360 counterparts.

We will only see a significant graphical / performance leap over current gen when a big first party game is built from the ground up on it and it eventually gets downports of PS4 - 720 multi platforms.

That's not my definition of positive. Nothing to do with improved graphics/ being better than the other consoles: just positively enthused about making a game for wiiu. He really wanted to share more but the nda prevents that. Other interviews have just brushed the Wii u question aside.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mostly but not entirely.

I summon Daniel Bryan.

Let me make my question more specific, so I can know whether I should be excited that you are excited:
-Do you get annoyed by trailers that don't show gameplay?
-Do you prefer games that are focused on gameplay over cinematics?
-Do you still enjoy classic forms of gaming, such as MM9/10 and NSMBWii?
-Are you a fan of Platinum Games?

I'll stop there to fall short of doing a full ShockingAlberto interview, hahaha. Most people separate games between "casual" and "hardcore", but I separate them between "games" (NSMBWii, Monster Hunter Tri), "interactive cinema" (God of War), and "crap" (most third party Wii software). A lot of people on NeoGAF get excited about the "interactive cinema" category. So I'm hoping you're excited about something closer to the "games" category.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nah, you really don't want it.

/jedi mindtrickster

Azure J

Whoa.

Let me make my question more specific, so I can know whether I should be excited that you are excited:
-Do you get annoyed by trailers that don't show gameplay?
-Do you prefer games that are focused on gameplay over cinematics?
-Do you still enjoy classic forms of gaming, such as MM9/10 and NSMBWii?
-Are you a fan of Platinum Games?

I'll stop there to fall short of doing a full ShockingAlberto interview, hahaha. Most people separate games between "casual" and "hardcore", but I separate them between "games" (NSMBWii, Monster Hunter Tri), "interactive cinema" (God of War), and "crap" (most third party Wii software). A lot of people on NeoGAF get excited about the "interactive cinema" category. So I'm hoping you're excited about something closer to the "games" category.

Haha, what an interesting template this is. I'm very interested in the answer as well since this is the closest I'll get to an outright admission of what's explicitly being worked on for the console.

I don't know who you are, but I'm hoping you have a newsletter to which I may subscribe.

I got burned out on that middle category in the late '80s to early '90s. David Wolf somehow formed the painful template for the future of gaming instead of, well, games.

schuelma

Yup, August is going to suck for Wii U news.

I bet we see some news from Japan. Remember NSMB 2/3DSXL comes out Saturday there, and there will be a Nintendo Direct probably the 21st.

Haha, what an interesting template this is. I'm very interested in the answer as well since this is the closest I'll get to an outright admission of what's explicitly being worked on for the console.
Well, I don't want ShockingAlberto to hint at what's being worked on. I respect his relationship to his source. I just want to know if we share taste in games to such a degree that I should give a crud about whether he's excited, you know? Sort of like movies tastes. When someone says "I'm very excited about a movie coming out", I need to ask them if they're the kind of person who loves watching endless romantic comedies, or Spartacus.
Or, if I really want to know how close we are, I ask if they know what Sweeney Todd is.

I don't know who you are, but I'm hoping you have a newsletter to which I may subscribe.

I got burned out on that middle category in the late '80s to early '90s. David Wolf somehow formed the painful template for the future of gaming instead of, well, games.
Thank you for the compliment. I like your screenname.

TriGen

I still expect Wii U news at Nintendo Direct.

As do I, I'm just curious whether the next Nintendo Direct will be global or not. If we got a ND in all markets then I would expect significant launch details. If it's just in Japan I would expect a longer freeze.

Sadist

I bet we see some news from Japan. Remember NSMB 2/3DSXL comes out Saturday there, and there will be a Nintendo Direct probably the 21st.
August 22nd, Nintendo Direct;

Iwata: "Even with all the new details regarding 3DS software, some of you wonder what's happening on the console front. I can tell you we'll be holding a special conference with all the Wii U details on September *insert date*.

That is all. *laughs*

;)

schuelma

Ok, so I kind of did this before, but with the Shocking Alberto tidbits, I'm going to make my own little guesses on software Japanese 3rd parties have in the pipeline.

Tecmo Koei- I expect pretty good support. Nintendo seems to have a decent relationship with them.

-Probably a Dead or Alive port
-Orochi 2 was unofficially confirmed by a Italy Gamestop list and seems plausible
-Samurai Warriors 4 (SW 3 was initially a Wii exclusive, and this would meet the non-port original title Alberto tidbit)

Bonus guess- Nintendo Musou. (seriously, I think it could happen)

Namco Bandai- Same- Good relationship with Nintendo.

-One Piece game of some sort
-Taiko Drum is a lock
-Ridge Racer
-Tales mothership title, maybe a true Symphonia sequel? (I have a good feeling about this one. Alberto hinted Nintendo was trying to land this and again fits in with the whole non port, A-team tidbit)

Level 5- Not expecting too much, but I think Wii U will be the destination of any home console projects

-Inazuma Strikers sequel
-Ni No Kuni port
-Youkai Watch (no platform announced yet)

SE- Who knows. I was not expecting much, but Alberto's latest hints makes me optimistic there might be some good stuff.

-FF13 collection- easy money
-Some sort of Dragon Quest game besides DQX
-Kingdom Hearts 3 or something else
- New IP

Capcom- IMO this is the best candidate for the non-port, non B-team tidbit. Capcom likes to introduce new IP's early in the generation and Capcom has a good relationship with Nintendo.

-Dragon's Dogma G/ enhanced port
-Fighting game
-Basara 4
-Maybe Monster Hunter? just cannot believe Capcom is going to fully give up on the home versions- MH Tri did sell over a million in Japan and did ok in the U.S.
-New IP or 2

Edit- Obviously I did not look at Sega or Konami. Frankly I expect little from either of them. I could also see Atlus maybe taking some unannounced PS360 projects and moving them over.

Obviously it is hard to guess at new IP's, but like I said I think Capcom is a good candidate.

Rösti;40255732 said:
There's usually ("always") an investor briefing, a presentation and Q&A session, connected to the earnings release. I wasn't sure of the time, so that's what I wrote like that.

What Father_Brain wrote about this:

It's not listed on their IR site, so I think Gibson is correct that there isn't a briefing for this one. Odd, but hey.

Meelow

Banned
As do I, I'm just curious whether the next Nintendo Direct will be global or not. If we got a ND in all markets then I would expect significant launch details. If it's just in Japan I would expect a longer freeze.

If it's important Wii U news than they might do it in all regions I'm guessing.

The_Lump

Banned

Oooh, tasty. This little tidbit has gotten me from "I will be pre-ordering" to "I will become the time child because I can't wait"

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's not listed on their IR site, so I think Gibson is correct that there isn't a briefing for this one. Odd, but hey.
I hadn't seen his Twitter post until now. That is indeed strange, and I can see no developments (even the continued stock decline) that would cause something like this. The earnings release provided little about Wii U, only mention was basically that forecasted Wii hardware and software sales units include Wii U hardware and software, and that the console is due for release in major markets by the end of the year.

Maybe they grew tired of the crazy people that tend to show up at those meetings.

Cacpcom is most likely going to support the wii u with the kind of games nintendo fans would normally like. Games like phoenix wright, Ghost trick, Zack and wiki and etc. are most likey to come to the wii u or new games like them IMO. i dont see nintendo fans reacting very well to dmc and lost planet ports

radcliff

Cacpcom is most likely going to support the wii u with the kind of games nintendo fans would normally like. Games like phoenix wright, Ghost trick, Zack and wiki and etc. are most likey to come to the wii u or new games like them IMO. i dont see nintendo fans reacting very well to dmc and lost planet ports

Ghost Trick and Z&W sold horribly. I'm surprised you didn't throw in Spyborgs. Capcom could pretty much stealth release DMC and LP and expect more sales than the games you mentioned.

Nice work playing to stereotypes.

radcliff

Capcom games Nintendo fans would like are (among others) Megaman, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Ghouls N' Ghosts, and Monster Hunter.

Anth0ny

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120725_2e.pdf

Super Smash Bros. is listed under up coming games under 3DS in NOA

Thats interesting, it may mean Smash is coming sooner rather then later, maybe at least by Fall next year.

More like NOA isn't localizing fuck all. They need names to fill up that list. Q1 2014 at the very earliest methinks.

Oh no, I'm not falling for this again.

Shane Setterfield said:
“I will say one thing that I can say without getting in any trouble is that the launch lineup for the Wii U is going to surprise some people. It’s going to be pretty damn good.”

Yeah. I'll wait and see before boarding any hype trains.

I just don't get this, or how the two are connected. What does Vita's performance have anything to do with the Wii U's. This is one of those times when I scratch my head and go how are these people being paid to make decisions.

I just don't see what a Sony handheld has to do with a Nintendo console.

Publishers, insanity rains supreme.

Yup, I know it drives me mental lol. It's no surprise that publishers are losing money hand over fist. Supporting a Nintendo console launching with a NSMB title isn't going to be a gamble as long as the quality is good and it's marketed properly.

When I was working for Eidos as a QA Technician years ago I was continuously dumbfounded by some of the decision making made by the Acquisitions Department consisting of 4 men, headed by Ian Livingston earning a 7 figure salary and the other 3 on 6 figure salaries. They decided that Escape From Bug Island, one of the worst games ever released for the Wii, was a great idea and turned down Fallout 3 and Bioshock. And I guarantee that all 4 of those twats kept their jobs when 1 in 4 people (including my whole department!!!) lost theirs. You really couldn't make it up.

The problem I think stems from the majority of decision makers not being gamers, so they generally don't have much of a clue about what's going to sell and what's going to bomb. I'm convinced that if QA staff were involved in the decision making we'd see publishers making a great deal more money.

AzaK

That is an issue. We're getting close to the point where people will start deciding they want certain games when they release on the PS3/360/PC or if they want to wait and see how the Wii U version is or if there will even be a Wii U version. The next several months are sure to be like that for a number of people. People that are likely to be the early adopters. It's about budgeting money and time. For a number of multiplayer games this could mean the difference of a healthy community or a dead one or being on equal footing to get the most out of your purchase. Wait to long and find out the Wii U version is missing something, etc and by the time you get the PS3/360 version you've missed out and a lower price might not make up for it.

I would think Nintendo would want to give people a reason to wait. Not only does it help their hardware sells but it would go a long way to make 3rd parties happy to have decent sales for the Wii U versions.

Yeah, I'm in this boat. Still swaying towards Wii U, but Darksiders II comes out in August and there's some more titles coming before the "apparent" Wii U launch. If I can't see a rosy enough future for 3rd party games on Wii U coupled with actual real info about the console and it's ecosystem, it's possible I might just bite the bullet and get a 360. Which would mean that's the Wii U out the door for me for a long time to come.

August-Sept for info is fucking mental TBH. That's 2 months from release. Not much time for everyone to hype their games and people to start talking about the console.

Ok, so I kind of did this before, but with the Shocking Alberto tidbits, I'm going to make my own little guesses on software Japanese 3rd parties have in the pipeline.
Do you have any ideas regarding Western titles? I looked at your Japanese list and I really have to admit I am just not into 99% of Japanese games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom