• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meelow

Banned

I'm hoping we see Wii U footage.

Final Fantasy XV
Description of Mark: The mark consists of the words "FINAL FANTASY" followed by the letters "X" and "V" with a vertical bar between them.

My take on it: Square is very serious about relaunching FFXIV 2.0 as a whole new game (they've said as much), and have said that while they are releasing little bits of info now and then, they intend to go big, VERY BIG, in August. They even decided to delay the release of the E3 video of the game that they had completed until then. The new logo in the trademark, and seen in the corners of screenshots of FFXIV 2.0, looks like it could be a transition from XIV to XV.

While I'm talking about it, FFXIV 2.0 is slated to finally release with the console version, and while they've only talked about PS3, the timing would be rather perfect for a Wii-U release...

Interesting, but I don't think Final Fantasy XV will be XIV because XV is 15, so that would be weird, I think it's just something strange about the trade mark.

It's a new platform released in 2012 which performs poorly. I guess publishers are cautious regarding the consoles performance because they want to be successfull from the start. Take Two is a good example. They'll wait for a bit, see if the platform succeeds and jump in if they think the platform could be profitable for them.

The Vita projects to Wii U rumour sounds like something that Japanese publishers would contemplate.

That's looking at things way too large picture though. One system is the sequel to a handheld that had decent hardware sales but terrible almost non-existent software sales, the otheris the sequel to the best selling system of this generation that sold 800+ million units of software. You're comparing apples and oranges to make a decision. It's why people say these publishers and companies don't know what the fuck their doing and that they probably could in fact run them better and make more money.

It's asinine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ShockingAlberto has give us another hint on the awesome new non-port software coming for Wii U. Like a name of a company or something. Its killing me!

Hoodbury

So what's the current vibe on what the supply vs demand will be at launch? Are we thinking it'll be like the Wii where it'll be tough to get one 3-4 months later still? Or will it be like the 3DS and you can just walk in anytime and pick one up off the shelf?

Or do we need to wait until the price is revealed? Has Nintendo said anything about what level of supply they are planning on?

Sadist

That's looking at things way too large picture though. One system is the sequel to a handheld that had decent hardware sales but terrible almost non-existent software sales, the otheris the sequel to the best selling system of this generation that sold 800+ million units of software. You're comparing apples and oranges to make a decision. It's why people say these publishers and companies don't know what the fuck their doing and that they probably could in fact run them better and make more money.

It's asinine.
Maybe.

We've been talking about this subject on GAF eversince Wii skyrocketed back in 2007, but third parties just don't want to hop aboard the Nintendo-train right from the start. If it's their (3rd parties) fault or that of Nintendo, it doesn't matter at this point. They just want to wait.

Or maybe they'll just love self fulfilling prophecy theory's.

ShockingAlberto has give us another hint on the awesome new non-port software coming for Wii U. Like a name of a company or something. Its killing me!
Ha, I feel ya. The last time SA leaked something, didn't one of his sources receive a slap on the wrist or something like that? (With the whole Castlevania 3DS developed by Mercury Steam last year)

Maybe.

We've been talking about this subject on GAF eversince Wii skyrocketed back in 2007, but third parties just don't want to hop aboard the Nintendo-train right from the start. If it's their (3rd parties) fault or that of Nintendo, it doesn't matter at this point. They just want to wait.

Or maybe they'll just love self fulfilling prophecy theory's.

Yet you had some of the bigger ones even admit that waiting to jump on the Wii was a mistake, and yet here they are doing it again. It boggles the mind.

You want a specific user base to be there, then put those games that attracts that user base on a system from Day 1. Not day 765.

TriGen

So what's the current vibe on what the supply vs demand will be at launch? Are we thinking it'll be like the Wii where it'll be tough to get one 3-4 months later still? Or will it be like the 3DS and you can just walk in anytime and pick one up off the shelf?

Or do we need to wait until the price is revealed? Has Nintendo said anything about what level of supply they are planning on?

No, we don't have any details about initial supply or anything like that, I think people are suspecting we will hear about that stuff around Sep. I'm guessing it will be a hard to get item though, I'm definetly not taking any chances. Like you said price will play a huge role, the Wii was only $250 and kicked off motion controls so I bet the Wii U will be easier to get, but still not walk-off the street easy.

The_Lump

Banned
Wow. This quarterly sales info has sparked some absolutely loathsome articles out there in internet-land. Serious drivel. I dont understand how people are paid to write this sort of stuff - its criminal.

I've just seen one article claiming Nintendo's "woes" continue as DS & 3DS only sold 2.4million units in the last 90 days, whilst iPod Touch sold 3 million in the same period - quickly pointing out that 'Apples figures were actually down on last time!'

I threw up a bit on my keyboard. But it makes me wonder, will the media even give Wii U a chance? Was there this much scourn being poured over Nintendo when Wii was released??

TriGen

I threw up a bit on my keyboard. But it makes me wonder, will the media even give Wii U a chance? Was there this much scourn being poured over Nintendo when Wii was released??

The Wii was getting negative media attention all the time, it's proven that the consumers don't care if the media doesn't believe in a product pre-release.

The Wii was getting negative media attention all the time, it's proven that the consumers don't care if the media doesn't believe in a product pre-release.

True. In fact sometimes the opposite happens. The media believes in a product, but the masses are not interested at all.

The_Lump

Banned
Who gives a fuck about what the media thinks?

Unfortunately; Many, many consumers do. As well as "analysts" who's opinions can actually have an effect on stock prices.

But was it all this innacurate and hateful? i dont remember that. i remmeber alot of doubt - but maybe there are just way more crappy media outlets nowadays (and way more prople willing to quote them and give them credit)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Interesting and LONG interview with the Darksiders II devs which shows they're just as frustrated by Nintendo's NDAs as we are.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/d...the_future_of_thq_wii_u_and_darksiders_3.html

Q: THQ was one of the very first third-parties to jump on Wii U. You've got Darksiders II coming up for Wii U. Do you find it frustrating that - on the consumer-side at least - Nintendo is being very shy about the console's power? Is it frustrating to see people still having that argument when you know exactly what it can and can't do?

HD: Er...

Q: Do you wish Nintendo would just come out and say?

HD: Oh, of course. Yeah. It's awkward because when people ask questions about [Wii U] we've got to skirt around the answer. We obviously want them to come out with it because then we can just talk openly about the game. I'd rather just be open with people than spinning the answer back at somebody. As soon as they just come out and everything's revealed it would take a little bit of weight off us as developers so we can be a little bit more open about the product.

Q: You probably can't answer this next question, then. Does Darksiders II perform better on Wii U than it does on 360 and PS3?

HD: You already knew that I can't answer that question. [Laughs] I hate it, dude.

Q: That must be frustrating as well?

HD: It is, because that's just like a line that Nintendo have said [inaudible]. THQ are just running it by the line now. We just don't want to... I guess it's because Nintendo have always been about the games. They've been about certain hardware - analogue stick and things like that - but they've never really pushed technically being the best.

Interesting and LONG interview with the Darksiders II devs which shows they're just as frustrated by Nintendo's NDAs as we are.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/d...the_future_of_thq_wii_u_and_darksiders_3.html
This made me raise my eyebrows:
If you look at a Nintendo product, for instance. They have so many secrets and depth to their games that not a lot of people may ever see, but it's there. You know why? Because they're rewarding the players who enjoy that game. Even when we're doing games, we say, 'We want to do this', and they'll say, 'Well, how many people will see that?'. Not very many. 'Well, maybe you shouldn't do it.' I'm like, that's exactly why we should do it because we want to make sure that the people who are really looking in every single nook and cranny, that we're rewarding them for experimentation. It's important.
I tried the Darksiders demo and was impressed with it. Maybe I'll give the game a shot if that's the attitude they take.

DrWong

Interview – Ubisoft reveals more info on ZombiU. Some interesting quotes (more in the link) >

We’re working with Antony Johnston on the script, acclaimed British comics book author and writer of Dead Space and Dead Space Extraction among other great games to help us get the most out of this tremendous setting and its unique characters.

The player will explore day-to-day London filled with cosmopolitan urban-dwellers, from its typical brick neighbourhoods to its palaces with all the royal strappings. London is a city of contrast and history and the player will explore locations like Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London, a medieval tower smack in the middle of the modern city. Each of the maps has its own particularities, which we’ll let players discover for themselves. However, ZombiU does not present a one-to-one visual representation of London: it’s a credible, creepy, apocalyptic vision of this great city.

We have developed online features for the community. Players will be able to kill their zombified friends and recover the stuff in their inventory. Our blacklight feature allows players to scan environments and reveal messages left by your friends (other survivors), and you can help each other out all along the adventure and leave secret messages for each other with a secret code that you will discover in the story.

Effect

The anti-Nintendo bias many in the gaming media is something really interesting. To the point I don't think it will ever go away. They may want Nintendo to play ball with them but at the same time they don't really care to look at Nintendo any differently or to judge it fairly. Then it just becomes circular. That Nintendo doesn't follow what is looked at as the "standard" makes some I think somewhat angry and resentful. Which I can understand. Many wanted Nintendo to mature and age with them instead of just standing in the yard waving bye while they had no choice but to change as they got older. I sometimes felt that way but my desire for something different and and escape from a lot of the seriousness and/or depressing nature of other games and life in general made me go back to Nintendo's games instead of waiting for them to seek me out.

However this unhealthy fixation many have with Apple just made it so much worse. To the point that some will willingly ignore facts and logic to push their narrative. That is somewhat scary and I don't know if Nintendo can do anything at all about that. The Nintendo Directs is one way but there needs to be even more communication from them. I still wish there was a Nintendo Blog similar to what Sony has where news and information constantly comes. That would make the break from the gaming media more complete.

Nice to hear him sounding positive. Somtimes all the skirting around the answers ends up making them sound a little unenthusiastic, and it's interesting to here him basically explain why.

I didn't really get anything positive from that interview tbh, if the game looked or ran any better than the PS360 counterparts Nintendo would be allowing developers to talk about it.

As is i think all the cross platform games Wii U will be getting will look and play near identical to their PS360 counterparts.

We will only see a significant graphical / performance leap over current gen when a big first party game is built from the ground up on it and it eventually gets downports of PS4 - 720 multi platforms.

I haven't managed to buy and play Darksiders yet, but I want to; before this ships.

The teams attitude is also really good; I seem to like their style, Warren Spector kind of liking. They know where they are, where they came from and where they want to go. Also, how to make games with a soul and despite being in a AAA-world not being overly concerned about specs.

They've have it all together.
I didn't really get anything positive from that interview tbh, if the game looked or ran any better than the PS360 counterparts Nintendo would be allowing developers to talk about it.
Hence why he's saying it's a curse.

They've guaranteed it'll look at least as good.

Jay Fitzloff: "It's still a work in progress. But I know, at least as good is the way to say it."

(...)

Vigil said the Wii U had "plenty of horsepower", "so we're not going to have to make any visual concessions at all".
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ics-at-least-as-good-as-ps3-xbox-360-versions

It's just like any other third party game.
As is i think all the cross platform games Wii U will be getting will look and play near identical to their PS360 counterparts.
They'll look a bit better if the devs invest in shaders and effects; that said, games written for current gen probably can't really tap the console, for one the CPU seems to be really different which will work against PS3/X360 optimized code (the more optimized it is the worse) and then you have new features like tesselation that will probably go unused by games whose 3D models are optimized for current gen consoles because the LOD and assets are meant for a less powerful platform and software not counting on such feature.
We will only see a significant graphical / performance leap over current gen when a big first party game is built from the ground up on it and it eventually gets downports of PS4 - 720 multi platforms.
Problem isn't current gen, it's because Wii U is so recent, you don't go back to the drawing board when it comes to assets with a game that's been in development for 48 months or more every time a new platform appears; providing this gen lasts long enough I can see it not being a problem anymore from the moment wii u gets considered ever since the software was greenlit.

with that said, expect 720p (not sub-HD), vsync, AA and more effects for third party games; X360/PS3 gamers will say it looks the same, but truth is they had their fights this gen for a multiplatform game lacking a little grass here and there on one of the platforms; I'm sure the difference to a wii U version can be much bigger than those multiplatform game comparisons but it'll "never be enough".

It's a fight they can't win.

It seems that these days what defines "core" gaming is the level of violence.

I agree. It's just ridiculous.

It's asinine.

I'm one of those people that said the same thing.

JordanN

Banned
Something I don't get about this NDA is how come people like Randy Pitchford or Jeremiah Slaczka can talk about the Wii U's power but this guy (Thq) can't? Wtf?

The anti-Nintendo bias many in the gaming media is something really interesting. To the point I don't think it will ever go away. They may want Nintendo to play ball with them but at the same time they don't really care to look at Nintendo any differently or to judge it fairly. Then it just becomes circular.
Word. Nintendo is still the underdog of the gaming business, even when they're leading after no one believed they could again; not even their fans. It's a mix of bad publicity, competing fanboys from the other two manufacturers being too anal (and keen on kicking Nintendo when it's down) even that retard that calls himself a gaming analist yet makes shit up as he goes, has zero insider knowledge and acts like a anti-nintendo bot they all have a part on it. It's bad publicity, negative and ill intended comments. It'll leak and help the whole gaming industry feel on the edge when they're predicting the market leader to go nowhere fast. Recent Apple comparison's also don't help.

They're the masters of game design, how to do sequels/maintaining franchises fresh yet they get accused of being repetitive. They have shown they have a vision and are doing what they think is needed for the industry, but the industry is too juvenile to understand they mean well, the whole chasing after hollywood inferiority complex and everything having to be high tech as fuck (if it looses money it's better) along with the whole elitist mentality isn't doing them any favours.

The whole casual saga; Nintendo published more than 60 wii games, only 13 of them could be considered casual (and I'm counting warioware and mario party games that already existed). Nintendo never went casual, gamers, journalists and devs only felt menaced by casual gaming because that wasn't what they wanted to do; not realizing Nintendo was doing it as a means to try and attract more people that could be converted to gaming.

Now that we have iPod's, iPhones, iPad's, Android and tv boxes aiming to take a stab at $1 gaming we're seeing who the real menace is for gaming as we know it (the perceived value is going through the window), and yet they didn't realize yet Nintendo is on their side yet. Or perhaps their mindless rage against them is that blind.

Journalists are mighty stupid too, they spent this generation on a crusade against the market leader when they really needed a new userbase for their mags. I'm not a casual gamer, I haven't enjoyed Nintendogs but I can't say it's a bad game when I know people that lost hundreds of hours on it. Brain Training too. who am I to say it's turd?

Instead of catering to be reasonable they spend the generation making it so that if a newcomer bought their mag he'd feel so insulted he'd vow to never, ever buy anything from them again.

Reminds me of a portuguese gaming magazine that because they didn't receive Nintendo games didn't cover them altogether, missing some game of the year candidates with it. I mean, wtf, they get paid by readers to cover games and they'll bail from covering a manufacturer because they don't get the games for free? Sure Nintendo representation was turd for not sending them games for them to bash, but they were so much worse.
That Nintendo doesn't follow what is looked at as the "standard" makes some I think somewhat angry and resentful. Which I can understand. Many wanted Nintendo to mature and age with them instead of just standing in the yard waving bye while they had no choice but to change as they got older. I sometimes felt that way but my desire for something different and and escape from a lot of the seriousness and/or depressing nature of other games and life in general made me go back to Nintendo's games instead of waiting for them to seek me out.
Nintendo has a vision and a plan to convert and bring new gamers in, they don't.

And Sony and Microsoft are not really that different seeing they'll attempt to take a bite at those markets.
However this unhealthy fixation many have with Apple just made it so much worse. To the point that some will willingly ignore facts and logic to push their narrative. That is somewhat scary and I don't know if Nintendo can do anything at all about that. The Nintendo Directs is one way but there needs to be even more communication from them. I still wish there was a Nintendo Blog similar to what Sony has where news and information constantly comes. That would make the break from the gaming media more complete.
Nintendo can only stick to it and prove them wrong once again.

I miss the "it's just a fad" excuse. (I'm kidding)

Apple fixation has a reason to be at this point since they're effectively attacking the low-end spectrum of the market (casuals) just like smartphones in general are making it so digital camera sales decrease on the lower-end market. what's wrong is suggesting Nintendo should pull $1 games, go third party to tap that market or mimic their strategy.

Their strategy is a trojan horse that will create some best sellers and highlight them, but no one talks about those that can't turn a profit on it; and the list ain't small. Apple is not a game company, they're not concerned about making the value for games go to nothing if it benefits them. Their store is both saturated and aimless at this point; want a minesweeper game? we have 20. You can't possibly copy that and expect it to work as a business model.

The business model needs to change, no doubt, some lessons can be taken from Apple, but they're not what we should be telling manufacturers to mirror; understand in order to compete? yes.

andthebeatgoeson

The anti-Nintendo bias many in the gaming media is something really interesting. To the point I don't think it will ever go away. They may want Nintendo to play ball with them but at the same time they don't really care to look at Nintendo any differently or to judge it fairly. Then it just becomes circular. That Nintendo doesn't follow what is looked at as the "standard" makes some I think somewhat angry and resentful. Which I can understand. Many wanted Nintendo to mature and age with them instead of just standing in the yard waving bye while they had no choice but to change as they got older. I sometimes felt that way but my desire for something different and and escape from a lot of the seriousness and/or depressing nature of other games and life in general made me go back to Nintendo's games instead of waiting for them to seek me out.

If MS can achieve so much in 2 generations, than Ninty can turn it around. 3rd console to darling of the industry. But, Ninty has to WANT it. They don't. Probably won't happen until it's too late (ie apple demolishing the industry as we know it).

Meelow

Banned
The funny thing is I saw this video where this guy said "the media is biased towards Nintendo and that's why all their games get good reviews"

I laughed.

If MS can achieve so much in 2 generations, than Ninty can turn it around. 3rd console to darling of the industry. But, Ninty has to WANT it. They don't. Probably won't happen until it's too late (ie apple demolishing the industry as we know it).
You really think it's about the consoles?

Microsoft moneyhatted a whole industry; twice. Lost more money doing it than the money Nintendo earned since the N64 days.

It's comes as no surprise Nintendo doesn't want to do that.

I also wouldn't say Microsoft is off the hook just yet, back when X360 came out a lot of people were burned out by original Xbox only having last 4 years and there was this study (general study, not focused on games) that implied Microsoft was among the most mistrusted US brands out there, suggesting everytime they'd release a new product they'd be swimming against the current. Their mobile phone OS, Zune, Microsoft Kin... The pattern didn't really change, and despite success they've managed to fuck a lot of first/second party devs in a way Nintendo would be burned to a crisp by journalist inquisitors. They turned Rare and Lionhead into casual games division, decided to close Ensemble Studios, destroyed FASA Studios, almost destroyed Bungie. They also seem to not oversee the games they publish in a meaningful coordinated way, instead investing on big name developers to deliver on a fast track judging by their hit and miss track record.

This gen they were piracy-friendly and cheaper than the HD competition; there's no saying that if you had two equal configurations Sony would probably still be the darling to the consumer.

It's too soon to say Microsoft got it easy now.

andthebeatgoeson

You really think it's about the consoles?

Nope, nothing to do with the consoles. Everything to do with attitude. I'm just saying, nothing is permanent. As Nintendo's sales figures point out. It was just a short 6 years ago they were about to enter a dramatically better sales position. Almost seemed unstoppable. And as they turned it around with games and hardware, they could turn things around with types of games or marketing.

chris3116

That's why Nintendo fansites are now really popular to the Nintendo fans. Websites like Go Nintendo or Nintendolife are now the places now that could see news, rumours, reviews, ... Before that, there was IGN (when it was relevant) and N64.com (before it was merged to IGN). These websites are made by the fans and they are for the fans. Nintendo knows them very well. That's another reason Nintendo directs are made. They know that those websites will rebroadcast the directs no matter what happen. So they bring those news to the fans directly. I think Nintendo is glad to see this. All they need is the mainstream press for the big audience and that's what E3 is for.

Nope, nothing to do with the consoles. Everything to do with attitude. I'm just saying, nothing is permanent. As Nintendo's sales figures point out. It was just a short 6 years ago they were about to enter a dramatically better sales position. Almost seemed unstoppable. And as they turned it around with games and hardware, they could turn things around with types of games or marketing.
If you know it has nothing to do with the consoles, then you know it's about the company. A Japanese company in the American media. It'll always go against the grain.

AzaK

Nintendo are idiots for being so secretive. By not allowing anyone to talk about the console they are guaranteeing that......well all talk about the console and not just the games. I can't see how talking about specs can be bad, at all.

I can see how Nintendo themselves wouldn't focus on the specs, detailing them, etc. But actually having an NDA in place to stop devs from saying peep seems worthless, and only serves to dilute the proverbial waters about the capabilities of the machine in a negative fashion, which will already be called into question by virtue of it being Nintendo.

Sadist

It's not so much about power, but more about details concerning their Wii U SKU. The only positive thing from this situation is that Nintendo keeps details around their own software close to the chest as well. But eh, I think people who are truly interested in the Wii U version of a multplatform game are bummed out by the "no details yet!" NDA.

Edit: while I agree that some sites/mags have this unhealthy obsession regarding Nintendo's business/games/philosophy, don't blow it out of proportion.

Effect

It's not so much about power, but more about details concerning their Wii U SKU. The only positive thing from this situation is that Nintendo keeps details around their own software close to the chest as well. But eh, I think people who are truly interested in the Wii U version of a multplatform game are bummed out by the "no details yet!" NDA.

That is an issue. We're getting close to the point where people will start deciding they want certain games when they release on the PS3/360/PC or if they want to wait and see how the Wii U version is or if there will even be a Wii U version. The next several months are sure to be like that for a number of people. People that are likely to be the early adopters. It's about budgeting money and time. For a number of multiplayer games this could mean the difference of a healthy community or a dead one or being on equal footing to get the most out of your purchase. Wait to long and find out the Wii U version is missing something, etc and by the time you get the PS3/360 version you've missed out and a lower price might not make up for it.

I would think Nintendo would want to give people a reason to wait. Not only does it help their hardware sells but it would go a long way to make 3rd parties happy to have decent sales for the Wii U versions.

That is an issue. We're getting close to the point where people will start deciding they want certain games when they release on the PS3/360/PC or if they want to wait and see how the Wii U version is or if there will even be a Wii U version. The next several months are sure to be like that for a number of people. People that are likely to be the early adopters. It's about budgeting money and time. For a number of multiplayer games this could mean the difference of a healthy community or a dead one or being on equal footing to get the most out of your purchase. Wait to long and find out the Wii U version is missing something, etc and by the time you get the PS3/360 version you've missed out and a lower price might not make up for it.

I would think Nintendo would want to give people a reason to wait. Not only does it help their hardware sells but it would go a long way to make 3rd parties happy to have decent sales for the Wii U versions.

Ya, they've dropped the ball big time when it comes to 3rd parties.
Even EA with Madden & FIFA haven't been able to give any information.
These launch window games HAVE to be successful because most companies are taking a "wait & see" approach.

daakusedo

I'm not sure if it's knowing nintendo will remain silent for a while but I'm waiting without thinking too much about the console. The games that are interesting were not showing much like always now when nintendo reveal a new game and pikmin 3 will be out later after launch so I'm more interested in playing NSMB 2 right now. That's maybe not bad if wiiu is released in november.

Something I don't get about this NDA is how come people like Randy Pitchford or Jeremiah Slaczka can talk about the Wii U's power but this guy (Thq) can't? Wtf?

Pitchford is skirting (and sometimes crossing) lines because he's Pitchford and says what he wants, often well beyond the realms of sanity or coherence (see: recent Eurogamer Duke Nukem Forever interview). But Nintendo is not going to take someone to task for saying the system is awesome.

THQ probably does not want to make waves and wants to make sure there's no chance they could be on the wrong end of the NDA. Which is the reasonable stance.

We probably won't be hearing about the Wii U until the 3DS XL and NSMB2 stretch their legs out, so...end of August - Mid-September most likely.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
We probably won't be hearing about the Wii U until the 3DS XL and NSMB2 stretch their legs out, so...end of August - Mid-September most likely.

Even in Japan?

And can you throw us any kind of bone on your post about impressive Wii U titles?

The anti-Nintendo bias many in the gaming media is something really interesting. To the point I don't think it will ever go away. They may want Nintendo to play ball with them but at the same time they don't really care to look at Nintendo any differently or to judge it fairly. Then it just becomes circular.

I agree. Like I said on another thread, what the gaming media, along with Xbox & Playstation fanboys seem to forget, is that, neither Microsoft or Sony would've been in the gaming division in the first place if not for Nintendo (Sony especially, after what happened between Nintendo & Sony before the N64/PS1/Saturn era).

In the end, Nintendo would be the only ones standing once Microsoft & Sony leave the gaming industry.

Edit: while I agree that some sites/mags have this unhealthy obsession regarding Nintendo's business/games/philosophy, don't blow it out of proportion.
Not meaning to.

There are of course good game journalists our there, biased or not it's ok from the moment you make a point and it's an opinion; you can say Nintendo did mistakes without saying they ought to go third party, just like I say Sony did a shitload of errors but I didn't actually want them to commit them because they took them to the situation they're in; which is not a good situation. It's still leagues different than the crash and burn wishy-washy outlook.

I were to write an article saying that I grew with Nintendo that would probably undermine my unbiased "credibility" in the same way you can't really be a marvel fan rate a Batman movie from the point of view of a DC comics fan; but you'd be a major idiot if you spent that article saying how Batman sucks because you like something else so you have to tackle what could be interesting to be said from your point of view/experience.

Context is really needed and even then you have to be careful not to make a joke after yourself, and reviews rather than being opinion pieces are regarded (by crappy gaming journalists as well) as a veredict/judgement, it's just wrong. And it hurt them this gen, big time.

My point being, I can have a conversation with a guy that prefers, say, Sony platforms and respect the points he's making; that's why I'm on a forum discussion after all. I can also disagree, but since it's a discussion we have context.

If someone can only say negative stuff without pinpointing why/what should change and why it would make sense for them to do so then that someone doesn't really have a reason to talk; that's where I draw the line; whatever it is, gaming journalists have the obligation to be reasonable (we "regular gamers" don't). And a lot of them aren't.

Nintendo is both well treated and mistreated by gaming mags and journalists; but the antibody reaction this generation really sucked, like the original poster of this theme said, it goes full circle, but the animosity is coming from them/us.

Sadist

Luckily I'll find something else to entertain myself with during August, but as a potential first day buyer the lack of info is just pretty sucky. Come on August Nintendo Direct!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Current Nintendo Directors (Lead Designers and Team Heads)

Thought this was appropriate based on the usual questions surround what the current teams are. It is missing a few directors I could not get good pictures on, but generally it represents a good idea of how many active directors (each usually leading a team) are currently at Nintendo.

I will do one for the producers later (Aonuma, Konno, Eguchi). But they manage multiple teams and aren't as indicative of how many projects could go on at a time.

TriGen

Great post. I'm in this exact position, I am going to buy a Wii U at launch along with at least a couple exclusive titles, but there are also multi-plat games like DS2 and AC3 that I want this year. I own every console and during this generation I didn't buy any big third-party games for the Wii, I would like this to change with the Wii U but Nintendo is making it very difficult.

For example I had planned on waiting for DS2 instead of buying it for 360/PS3 because I was curious to see how the Gamepad impacted my experience with a big third-party game, but because I haven't been able to see any footage or hear anything about the Wii U version I'm starting to think I'm just going to pick it up in August for one of my other consoles. Your point about budget is right on, I started to think about how much a new console plus games costs at launch and I realized I might be better off buying any third-party game that comes out pre Wii U launch for 360/PS3 because it won't be such a huge chunk of money at once.

Nintendo not allowing details on games and not disclosing prices has made it so I can't properly judge how much this launch will cost me in one shot, and because of that I might end up purchasing third-party games that I had planned on buying for the Wii U for other platforms and I might just end up buying NSMBU and nothing else at launch because their not giving the consumer the info they need to know. Not knowing what games are coming when is a problem as well because If I knew for sure what games were going to be held back for Q1 2013 and weren't planned for launch it could better help me know how to handle my gaming budget, for example if Rayman Legends was going to come out later it would give me an excuse to wait on DS2 because I would know that's one less game that I would have to buy on launch day.

With Nintendo keeping everything so secret it's starting to make sense to buy my third-party games early and that's exactly what I would assume Nintendo doesn't want, it seems like they should allow devs to pimp the Wii U version so people like me don't just buy the traditional Nintendo published games at launch. I'm someone that wants to be swayed to by the Wii U version of multi-plat games and Nintendo just refuses to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom